Larry Brooks: There might be Brad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Richards’ cap hit is $6.67 million per for six more seasons. The cap-recapture penalties on front-loaded contracts such as his mean the Rangers would be punished severely if the 32-year-old pivot were to retire before the end of his deal. A normal course buyout down the road would burden the Rangers with three seasons of between $6 million and $7 million of dead cap space.

So for all intents and purposes, the Rangers will have to declare next summer on Richards. This is one on which they won’t be able to procrastinate, even as particularly painful as such a decision would ultimately be for everyone involved.

We are 17 games into a 48-game season that could be followed by up to 28 more in the playoffs. And so, again, this Richards buyout talk is indeed a case of premature speculation. But the obligation falls on Richards to ensure it doesn’t become more than that.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/there_might_be_brad_news_MNsfx6iWGOJVqBj4SYWbdN

Brooks brings up Gaborik as a compliance buyout. What? The Rangers can trade him. The Rangers should trade him. Richards is an absolute compliance buyout. If he plays this way for the rest of the season,consider executing the buyout this summer. Why risk the possibility of an injury?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I said all along, I think Gabby gets dealt in the off-season, should fetch a premium return as a rental.

Richards will have the benefit of the doubt, and play next season here. If things continue at this pace, he'll be bought out come the end of the 13/14 season.

My $0.02

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Glad to hear that Girardi's leg isn't broken, but a bone bruise of that magnitude can be pretty bad too. Regardless, if McD and Nash are concussed the season is done. In that case:

Trade Gabby before the deadilne.

Trade Richie before the deadline if you can. If you can't, compliance buyout this summer is a MUST.

Trade MDZ before the deadline for something of equal value where we can actually maximize that value.

Fire Torts.

If by some miracle G, McD and Nash can all return in the near future, keep the team together as-is and continue on to try to make a run at the Cup (unless you get a fantastic offer for MDZ, who is still an underutilized asset). Then, trade Gabby in the offseason. Torts's survival depends on how the team does.

Either way, Richie's contract needs to go in the offseason.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
The funny thing is, Richards ends up getting bought out, Gabby gets traded, albeit for a good return, but not straight up for another player of his caliber obviously and we're building an offense around Rick Nash. Might actually be better than trying to have three "superstars" in the lineup and no depth.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brooks keeps mentioning the cap going down. The Rangers have $5.6M of their cap tied up in Redden. Their cap is $64.6M this season which also includes $1.25M to Sauer. $64.3M next season.

Dorado*

Blow it up .
Move forward with all the prospects like we did with the pack line guys . Try again . I like Gaborik but rent him out for picks / prospects
Buy out Brad . Trade Girardi for same prospects picks . Lock up McD .

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I cant believe we are honestly talking about blowing up this squad after the season the Rangers had last year. Wtf is going on??? Cant say that this discussion isnt warranted, because it is... I just cant believe that we go from a great young team to a decimated roster talking about underperforming vets, buyouts and trades.

In retrospect, I actually wish the season would have been cancelled. It would have been easier to deal with than this.

If the Rangers do trade gabby and buyout richards, we better get back some serious young talent and top picks that pan out

GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Nov 25, 2008
i dont quite follow the general blow it up train of thought here.
you do realize this is NY and this team is run by arguably the biggest egomaniac in all of sports? there is no way on gods green earth they will "blow it up" and move forward with a bunch of kids without big name/big ticket players, not a chance.
lets say for arguments sake they trade gabby and buy out richards, who exactly do you replace them with? keeping the cap in mind...
as far as I'm concerned this mess starts and ends with Torts and the way this team has been constructed. Even last year, we all knew it was a matter of time before the other shoe dropped and the inability to score would catch up with them, nothing has changed. There is no plausible reason for teams with the talent he's had to be as awful as its been on the pp. If the pp is even middle of the road we probably aren't having this discussion and this hold true since torts has been here.
as much as i hope richards is gone, sooner than later, blowing it up is NEVER going to happen... not with the "elite" talent anyway.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
Brooks keeps mentioning the cap going down. The Rangers have $5.6M of their cap tied up in Redden. Their cap is $64.6M this season which also includes $1.25M to Sauer. $64.3M next season.

keep in mind reddens caphit comes off the books after this season, part of the compliance buyout. And Sauer is an rfa after the season. Going to be hard for Sauer to make at least what he is making now with missing soooo much time and uncertainty if he will ever comeback

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
We're not talking about blowing it up. One person wrote that. We're talking about buying out Brad Richards, who got his big check and seems to have checked out. There is no way I want to see him on the ice for another few years, let alone seven.

As for trading Gaborik, if we don't make the playoffs it could make sense because his contract is coming up and unless we're already feeling him out and getting a sense that he wants to stick around for a lot less (like in the 5-5.5m range) I don't see him being brought back; better to get something useful for him. I think the only real thing to consider is whether or not we truly want Brad Richards on this team for the next five+ years. I don't. He is doing EXACTLY what Wade Redden did here.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
We're not talking about blowing it up. One person wrote that. We're talking about buying out Brad Richards, who got his big check and seems to have checked out. There is no way I want to see him on the ice for another few years, let alone seven.

As for trading Gaborik, if we don't make the playoffs it could make sense because his contract is coming up and unless we're already feeling him out and getting a sense that he wants to stick around for a lot less (like in the 5-5.5m range) I don't see him being brought back; better to get something useful for him. I think the only real thing to consider is whether or not we truly want Brad Richards on this team for the next five+ years. I don't. He is doing EXACTLY what Wade Redden did here.

I am glad we don't run the team............they have to be patient, the team was great last yr.........they had a good 5 games in a row getting pts and now they had some injuries and are sucking............grand scheme of things its 3 bad games............relax and look to come together and bounce back............they are not going to trade Gaborik...............Richards will be giving this yr AND next to bounce back.................if he stinks at the end of next yr well the Rangers open their wallets and buy him out.........they eat money but its the Rangers and atleast they can move on

comparing Brad Richards to Wade Redden is ridiculous on sooooooooooooo many levels........Richards was a big reason why this team was FIRST last yr

GeorgeHamiltonsTan

Nov 25, 2008
I am glad we don't run the team............they have to be patient, the team was great last yr.........they had a good 5 games in a row getting pts and now they had some injuries and are sucking............grand scheme of things its 3 bad games............relax and look to come together and bounce back............they are not going to trade Gaborik...............Richards will be giving this yr AND next to bounce back.................if he stinks at the end of next yr well the Rangers open their wallets and buy him out.........they eat money but its the Rangers and atleast they can move on

comparing Brad Richards to Wade Redden is ridiculous on sooooooooooooo many levels........Richards was a big reason why this team was FIRST last yr

5 good games? "getting 2 points" doesnt necessarily equate to good games...they've pretty much stunk for a large portion of this season so far.
if you think torts is just going to sit and wait for richards to get his shat together...yer buggin. although i agree its a bit premature for the redden comparison, you have to admit it certainly looks to be heading that way.

Dorado*

Keep :
JT
CK
CALLY
MCD
HAGS
STAAL
MDZ
PYATT
HALPERN
Nash
Lose :
GABY
Brad
Girardi
Play all the prospects promote McIlrath . Grt back some roster players and prospects in Gaborik and Girardi rentals from some contenders . Go into camp with fresh hungry low cost prospects and let em gel . This team is not going anywhere as constructed

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
keep in mind reddens caphit comes off the books after this season, part of the compliance buyout. And Sauer is an rfa after the season. Going to be hard for Sauer to make at least what he is making now with missing soooo much time and uncertainty if he will ever comeback

That's my point. Brooks is making a big deal about the cap going from $70.2M to $64.3. The Rangers are operating with a cap close to $64.3M this season. $64.6M. That $64.6M includes a player who has already been ruled out to play this season. The Rangers were taking the $5.6M cap hit on Redden this season no matter what happened. The PA made a big deal about the Rangers and Montreal sending Redden and Gomez home. The PA thought Redden and Gomez would lose market value sitting at home. Both of them have been healthy scratches recently. Redden on more than occasion. The NHL agreed to allow accelerated buyouts for this season. The cap was $64.3M in 11-12 and $3.716M of that was tied in Drury's buyout. The AHL threshold increases to $925,000 next season. Sending down Asham if they can't trade him sees the Rangers taking a $75,000 cap hit. Boyle has a cap hit of $1.7M and he is doing nothing. Even Sam Rosen got on Boyle last night. Lindberg at $760,000 and another young player making less than $1M give the Rangers more bang for their buck than Boyle at $1.7M.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
5 good games? "getting 2 points" doesnt necessarily equate to good games...they've pretty much stunk for a large portion of this season so far.
if you think torts is just going to sit and wait for richards to get his shat together...yer buggin. although i agree its a bit premature for the redden comparison, you have to admit it certainly looks to be heading that way.

yea I agree its not looking good for Richards but not sure why we are all going to flip about it. The team has the buyout so IF he sucks then he's gone , they eat the salary.........and IF he turns it around we can all shut up and be thankful..........last yr Richards produced and this yr is not even half done

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
That's my point. Brooks is making a big deal about the cap going from $70.2M to $64.3. The Rangers are operating with a cap close to $64.3M this season. $64.6M. That $64.6M includes a player who has already been ruled out to play this season. The Rangers were taking the $5.6M cap hit on Redden this season no matter what happened. The PA made a big deal about the Rangers and Montreal sending Redden and Gomez home. The PA thought Redden and Gomez would lose market value sitting at home. Both of them have been healthy scratches recently. Redden on more than occasion. The NHL agreed to allow accelerated buyouts for this season. The cap was $64.3M in 11-12 and $3.716M of that was tied in Drury's buyout. The AHL threshold increases to $925,000 next season. Sending down Asham if they can't trade him sees the Rangers taking a $75,000 cap hit. Boyle has a cap hit of $1.7M and he is doing nothing. Even Sam Rosen got on Boyle last night. Lindberg at $760,000 and another young player making less than $1M give the Rangers more bang for their buck than Boyle at $1.7M.

yea I am not worried about the cap it will all work out..........Asham will stay but thats a good comparison on the AHL cap........for example Haley can be burried and not count on the cap next yr.

Boyle should be traded this yr.........I wanted to give him a chance but its obvious he is way overpaid.........a guy like Lindberg or a cheap alternative like Halpern is just fine on the 4th line for less.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Keep :
JT
CK
CALLY
MCD
HAGS
STAAL
MDZ
PYATT
HALPERN
Nash
Lose :
GABY
Brad
Girardi
Play all the prospects promote McIlrath . Grt back some roster players and prospects in Gaborik and Girardi rentals from some contenders . Go into camp with fresh hungry low cost prospects and let em gel . This team is not going anywhere as constructed

It sounds good, young fresh players all playing together finding chemistry and turning this team in to something competitive. However, the likelihood of that happening is slim.

Look at all the young talent the Oilers have. It is far superior to that of the Rangers and they are still sitting at .500 hockey, out of playoff contention. The Rangers have an advantage with a better D corp, and Lundqvist, but bringing in a bunch of prospects isn't going to just turn this team around overnight.

I agree Richards will be forcing the hand if he continues to play so poorly. I am not sold on trading Gaborik however. The guy is still ultimately the teams best goal scorer. They should move him at the deadline next year if they aren't going to contend, and/or don't see him as a part of the future. Which is all likely.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
yea I am not worried about the cap it will all work out..........Asham will stay but thats a good comparison on the AHL cap........for example Haley can be burried and not count on the cap next yr.

Boyle should be traded this yr.........I wanted to give him a chance but its obvious he is way overpaid.........a guy like Lindberg or a cheap alternative like Halpern is just fine on the 4th line for less.

1.7M is not way overpaid. What should he be making? 1.2M? There is no guarantee that a guy like Lindberg comes in and PKs and blocks shots as effectively as Boyle and Halpern will be 37 at the end of this season. Boyle is what he is. He might be slightly overpaid because of the one good year he had, but he's a better option on the fourth line than most because he is capable of sliding up in the lineup. The problem is that he shouldn't be your regular third line center; that is obvious now.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Richards has been beyond awful, and I hate his stupid face but the #1 reason to consider the buyout is the cap recapture penalty that's potential dead space down the road. It's not about 17 awful games nor should it be about 10 good games if he finishes strong. The question is will he play till the end of his contract? Obviously you can't know that but he looks 'done' now...

Dorado*

It sounds good, young fresh players all playing together finding chemistry and turning this team in to something competitive. However, the likelihood of that happening is slim.

Look at all the young talent the Oilers have. It is far superior to that of the Rangers and they are still sitting at .500 hockey, out of playoff contention. The Rangers have an advantage with a better D corp, and Lundqvist, but bringing in a bunch of prospects isn't going to just turn this team around overnight.

I agree Richards will be forcing the hand if he continues to play so poorly. I am not sold on trading Gaborik however. The guy is still ultimately the teams best goal scorer. They should move him at the deadline next year if they aren't going to contend, and/or don't see him as a part of the future. Which is all likely.
I'm not looking for overnight . This is just anothe makeover and test to see if this next group of " pack liners " in
JT
CK
CT
MCILRATH ETC can turn into the group that helped us he to ECF

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
1.7M is not way overpaid. What should he be making? 1.2M? There is no guarantee that a guy like Lindberg comes in and PKs and blocks shots as effectively as Boyle and Halpern will be 37 at the end of this season. Boyle is what he is. He might be slightly overpaid because of the one good year he had, but he's a better option on the fourth line than most because he is capable of sliding up in the lineup. The problem is that he shouldn't be your regular third line center; that is obvious now.

yea it isnt horrific at 1.7 but it is too much for a 4th liner.......If Rupp can be moved at 1.5 then Boyle has value.....im not saying just give him away but I would deal him for a cheaper option or even a rental.........similar to Powe at 1 mil saving 500K over Rupp

Reality Richards, Gaborik, Nash, Callahan, Stepan, Hagelin are locked in for spots............Asham, Halpern,Powe should be the 4th line........so that leaves Pyatt, Boyle and then kids, Miller, Thomas, Kreider.............they need one or two vet rentals this yr...........I offer Boyle to Winnipeg for Antropov and say a late pick...............Jets get a guy who is under contract for a yr and Rangers get help now for the offense.......Antropov isnt tearing it up so he should have the highest value

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
SO we're blowing it up, and by the time we're ready to compete again, Lundqvist, who essentially is the New York Rangers post lockout #2 is 35+? Sounds like a good idea.

Where do you think we're gonna get a 1st line center and a 1st line winger? Overpaying Free Agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad