There is a major disconnect between what our coach says our identity is and what management did this summer

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Salary cap is an issue no denying it.

I don't know how much input Monty has with the call ups however I think it is safe to say that if he does have input he wants players with NHL experience. After all he wants to keep his job and the only way to do that is to win & that's harder when you have a bunch of inexperienced kids on the ice

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Salary cap is an issue no denying it.

I don't know how much input Monty has with the call ups however I think it is safe to say that if he does have input he wants players with NHL experience. After all he wants to keep his job and the only way to do that is to win & that's harder when you have a bunch of inexperienced kids on the ice

I'm the biggest Jim Montgomery fan on these boards. But if he thinks that, I think he's dead wrong. Dead wrong.

Reactions: Gordoff

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I think most coaches think this way. Without winning they have zero job security.
I don't think keeping youth away from the roster equals more wins. At all. I think it's quite the opposite.

Of course you don't want to go too far with a team full of rooks. But I don't believe the Bruins currently have a single player on the active roster that counts as one. Brazeau now? He's 26 so I'm not sure.

A healthy sprinkling helps keep the roster ambitious and driving forward. Doesn't equate to fewer wins. Equates to more.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I’m still not sold on Montgomery as a coach. He makes a lot of questionable decisions when it comes to the line up, he switches lines way too often, he benches players seemingly based on age. He seems to have done a 180 in terms of his time with Dallas in icing a tough line up to one of the softest in the NHL. Even the “tougher to play against” guys the bruins bring in seem to get softer on this roster.

I think he’s good enough, but I don’t think he’s an elite level NHL coach. I wouldn’t expect him to out coach another team in the playoffs.

I don't think keeping youth away from the roster equals more wins. At all. I think it's quite the opposite.

Of course you don't want to go too far with a team full of rooks. But I don't believe the Bruins currently have a single player on the active roster that counts as one. Brazeau now? He's 26 so I'm not sure.

A healthy sprinkling helps keep the roster ambitious and driving forward. Doesn't equate to fewer wins. Equates to more.
Coach’s go with experience, comfort, and consistency. Playing a vet may not have the upside and potential to turn the game but they won’t make glaring mistakes like most rookies. I see the good coaches being able to ride out the rookies inconsistencies and mistakes. I don’t really see Montgomery doing that.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Which rookies do you guys want up ( or back up ) and over who?

Beecher was better at faceoffs than Boqvist, but Bo has been the better overall player at the position and has helped stabilize the 4th line. I think that's the right call for now.

Richard deserved his callup. He was producing in Providence and has a little bit of jam in his game so you can play him on the 4th line.

Lohrei is a work in progress and needs more seasoning. Shows you a lot of potential but was also mistake prone. There's nothing wrong with having him float back and forth until he's ready.

Poitras is injured and was getting decent minutes for a 19 year old.

There's also the issue with the salary cap they need to fix to be able to fit people in.

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
Happy To see Brazeau score in his first NHL game. Kid is 6 ft 5 245 pounds. He has never been in a fight. He’s not a good skater either. I guarantee he will get sent down within a week & he will never see the NHL again.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Which rookies do you guys want up ( or back up ) and over who?

Beecher was better at faceoffs than Boqvist, but Bo has been the better overall player at the position and has helped stabilize the 4th line. I think that's the right call for now.

Richard deserved his callup. He was producing in Providence and has a little bit of jam in his game so you can play him on the 4th line.

Lohrei is a work in progress and needs more seasoning. Shows you a lot of potential but was also mistake prone. There's nothing wrong with having him float back and forth until he's ready.

Poitras is injured and was getting decent minutes for a 19 year old.

There's also the issue with the salary cap they need to fix to be able to fit people in.
The Bruins are going to have to make a trade or two to free up cap space. It will be good to see how Lohrei handles the Pacific division trip. If he plays well, that could allow Sweeney to move Grzelcyk/Forbort (if a team is willing) for cap space.

Apart from Lohrei, I really want to see Lysell get a chance with Marchand and Coyle. They gelled pretty well in the preseason, and it would be good to see if Lysell could earn that spot this season.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Happy To see Brazeau score in his first NHL game. Kid is 6 ft 5 245 pounds. He has never been in a fight. He’s not a good skater either. I guarantee he will get sent down within a week & he will never see the NHL again.
Mean

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
The Bruins are going to have to make a trade or two to free up cap space. It will be good to see how Lohrei handles the Pacific division trip. If he plays well, that could allow Sweeney to move Grzelcyk/Forbort (if a team is willing) for cap space.

Apart from Lohrei, I really want to see Lysell get a chance with Marchand and Coyle. They gelled pretty well in the preseason, and it would be good to see if Lysell could earn that spot this season.
Grizz is definitely having a down year, but I am sure some team would give a 4th or something to add him for playoff depth with the upside he finds his smooth transition and good defending game again.

I have really valued the guy over his Bruins tenure, a really underrated contributor, but it does seem to be time to move him to make room for Loreii next yea and open up cap space to get a more physical guy for this playoffs.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Grizz is definitely having a down year, but I am sure some team would give a 4th or something to add him for playoff depth with the upside he finds his smooth transition and good defending game again.

I have really valued the guy over his Bruins tenure, a really underrated contributor, but it does seem to be time to move him to make room for Loreii next yea and open up cap space to get a more physical guy for this playoffs.
He can't have a market for play-off teams IMO when they saw him healthy scratched to start last years and he's just not really good in the play-offs in general, unless a GM is 100% analytics. He wasn't great in games 5 or 7 either. I keep him with Mac and hope for the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad