There is a major disconnect between what our coach says our identity is and what management did this summer

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
strange to still be having the “Sweeney wants soft players” conversation after getting Hathaway and Bertuzzi last year. And also signing Lucic this year. Do you think he brought in Hathaway for his skill? Lucic for his finesse play? Those guys are known for being a pain in the ass to play against, to be physical.

Maybe he’s like the person who thinks, “I know there’s a good person in there! I can change them!”

It’s a bizarre thing to keep seeing.

friendofcharliecoyle

Nov 24, 2023
I would like to know from the people on here who think that the Bruins are not tough enough to win, who the big scary teams are that we should be so afraid of. I also wish lucic were still here (not condoning what he did) and also think it would be positive to get a more physical d man in the lineup at some point, but I don’t see a lot of tough teams out there. The game has changed.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
while I don`t disagree, having a few players who can actually play the game with some nasty would be nice. Read somewhere (might be here) the B`s D over the last few games laid 12 hits or something totally ludicrous. Gone are the days of true "enforcers" and I don`t equate toughness with simply fisticuffs but this team is totally absent of a truly nasty player(s)

Freddy will drop em but he`s not a player who I put in the category of being terribly hard to play against who plays with a nasty streak, Marchand plays with one, Chucky does too. This team is charmin soft to play against, literally zero teams worry about going into dirty areas vs the B`s

I was tempted in a previous post.

Temptation wins out,

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
strange to still be having the “Sweeney wants soft players” conversation after getting Hathaway and Bertuzzi last year. And also signing Lucic this year. Do you think he brought in Hathaway for his skill? Lucic for his finesse play? Those guys are known for being a pain in the ass to play against, to be physical.

Maybe he’s like the person who thinks, “I know there’s a good person in there! I can change them!”

I give Sweeney credit for bringing in Hathaway and Bertuzzi last season, and I give him credit for bringing in Looch this year.

Up to a point.

Two guys who fit the profile last season. One guy this season.

That's not enough to build team wide toughness.

Compare what Peter Chiarelli did in this department within three or four years to what Don Sweeney has done in eight.

Your Honor, the prosecution rests.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Yeah, they get a Pitbull and then have him neutered. It's an exercise in futility.
Maybe, getting a guy like Hathaway at the TDL
isn't good timing?
Maybe he needed to be with the team early on at the start of the season to get a
feel for being a Bruin or a Flyer for that matter.
He didn't appear to be in his element with the team yet. Not ready to go to war with a Brad Marchand yet? It seemed like he wasn't himself on the Bruins, and that he tried to be more "gentlemanly" in his approach?
Maybe they told him not to engage? Don't take dumb penalty's? We don't know. He was different here than Washington or with Philly now.
Maybe waiting for certain types of players with the lacking elements until the TDL isn't the proper amount of time to adjust?

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

It is. But why do you think a fair number here believe this remains a chronic issue ultimately detrimental to playoff success?

We're not all mouth breathing knuckle draggers pining for the days of Jonathan, Wensink and O'Reilly.

I mean, I am, but I digress.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah, they get a Pitbull and then have him neutered. It's an exercise in futility.
I guess I don't understands why you would bother to get get a
It is. But why do you think a fair number here believe this remains a chronic issue ultimately detrimental to playoff success?

We're not all mouth breathing knuckle draggers pining for the days of Jonathan, Wensink and O'Reilly.

I mean, I am, but I digress.

I think maybe the game has changed. McAvoy, Coyle, Marchand, Bertuzzi are tough skilled guys.

I think tough guys who are skilled are perhaps a rarity. So maybe it's a mix of nostalgia combined with that.

It super sucks that they lost in the first round last year after a superb regular season and going all in. I think this discussion would be different if Marchand scored that goal in game 7 and they won. Who knows? Is it a "Bruin" thing?

Reactions: GordonHowe

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Simmonds is brutal. Also, he’s not a big dude at 180 pounds.

Good fighter, but absolutely cooked.
I'm not afraid to say I was wrong haha. That said I still want a lucic replacement. And when I say lucic replacement fighting is part of it sure, but a heavy forecheck (something lucic might not have the legs for is just as helpful).

The leafs showed the league skill and speed can find great success in the regular season, but regular season success isn't what any of us are rooting for...

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I would like to know from the people on here who think that the Bruins are not tough enough to win, who the big scary teams are that we should be so afraid of. I also wish lucic were still here (not condoning what he did) and also think it would be positive to get a more physical d man in the lineup at some point, but I don’t see a lot of tough teams out there. The game has changed.

Compared to the Bruins…..almost every other team in the league qualifies as big and scary.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Flyers down 5-1...Nick Seeler takes a hit he doesn't like and fights Christian Fischer. He gets a game misconduct (I have no idea why?) and goes absolutely nuts...cussing out the refs, swearing, etc.

After that, Flyers get five unanswered and end up going to OT.

You look at their roster and they have guys like Deslauriers and Hathaway too who really don't have many points but they're in 2nd place in the Metro. Torts has these guys buzzin and playing for themselves.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Flyers down 5-1...Nick Seeler takes a hit he doesn't like and fights Christian Fischer. He gets a game misconduct (I have no idea why?) and goes absolutely nuts...cussing out the refs, swearing, etc.

You look at their roster and they have guys like Deslauriers and Hathaway too who really don't have many points but they're in 2nd place in the Metro. Torts has these guys buzzin and playing for themselves.

Seeler went crazy because the refs only announced his fighting major

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Panthers Rangers and Flyers all have a few tough players. In the West the Wild, Jets Blues, and Avs (Mcdermid) have them. We do not.
Yea well maybe Lucic gets back.Serious question.Sweeney added toughness then stuff went down so what would u like him to do about it now against cap pretty much?

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
They need some men with big balls,this team DNA is a non physical one, too much soft non physical players, Zacha, JVR, Geekie, Debrusk, Heinen, Coyle, Poitras, Beecher, Grzelyck, Lohrei, Lindholm, Carlo, Forbort, Shattenkirck...way too much marshmallow big body like camp and weak as a tent...also lack of forward scoring talent, none of this D can drive the PP, no one in Bruins D corp can shoot the puck and hit the net, all of them have a weak shot...

Last edited:
Reactions: duffy

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The team lost Bergeron, Krejci, Hall, Bertuzzi, Foligno, and Nosek and they brought in JVR's corpse, Geekie, and some rookies. It's no wonder they can't score to save their lives right now.

The worst thing is how they got out to that hot start because they only played dogshit like Chicago and San Jose the first 3 weeks of the season to lure us into a false sense of security, and now that they're showing their true colors and the goalies are getting run down from lack of support, it's glaring how frustrating they are.

Really just underscores for me how last year was  the generational team and that fool Monty blew a once in a lifetime chance.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
The team lost Bergeron, Krejci, Hall, Bertuzzi, Foligno, and Nosek and they brought in JVR's corpse, Geekie, and some rookies. It's no wonder they can't score to save their lives right now.

The worst thing is how they got out to that hot start because they only played dogshit like Chicago and San Jose the first 3 weeks of the season to lure us into a false sense of security, and now that they're showing their true colors and the goalies are getting run down from lack of support, it's glaring how frustrating they are.

Really just underscores for me how last year was  the generational team and that fool Monty blew a once in a lifetime chance.
100 percent. That’s why you need to win when you’re the best team because you’re not the best team often. 2019 was the ultimate opportunity lost, but last year wasn’t far behind. Hopefully at some point they can pull a 2011

Be careful though you can’t say the Bruins didn’t win enough when they should have around here

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022

That was great. When was the last time a Bruin gave enough f**** to act like that? This team is basically robotic.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Yea well maybe Lucic gets back.Serious question.Sweeney added toughness then stuff went down so what would u like him to do about it now against cap pretty much?
I would like him to improve. (I want Neely gone asap.) Through experience, he has gone from an horrific GM to a bad, one, to a mediocre one. It's an improvement, I guess. I also see Neely's not so subtle influence in the more disastrous moves-like the Nash trade, Belesky, Backes and Lucic signings etc.

As for now, acquire Maroon or whomever you can get cheaply. I like Fennian's suggestion of Matheiu Olivier from the Blue Jackets.

Last edited:

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Time to bump

What is going on? I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill with the Brazeau signing and call up but it just doesn't make sense to me why our highly touted prospects don't. It's been a theme all year. Monty would much rather lean on veteran guys like Boqvist, Brown, Richard, Steen, Mitchell

Instead of our highly touted prospects like Beecher, Lysell, Lohrei, Merkulov, Kuntar and even Regula.

You would think it being a retool year that we would see what some of these guys have, who by all accounts are meeting or exceeding expectations in Providence.

Nevertheless we continue to see AAAA players come up and down on a nightly basis. Most importantly none of these guys bring any sort of physicality, which the team desperately needs. I wouldn't mind seeing a veteran/journeyman called up if I knew they brought some jam (think someone like Greer) but it's not even close.

At the end of the day, I'm tired of seeing a soft lineup with AAAA guys every night who bring no physicality at the expense of our best prospects

Reactions: Gordoff

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Nevertheless we continue to see AAAA players come up and down on a nightly basis. Most importantly none of these guys bring any sort of physicality, which the team desperately needs. I wouldn't mind seeing a veteran/journeyman called up if I knew they brought some jam (think someone like Greer) but it's not even close.

Funny, after that fiasco against the Kraken, my nephew (who led his junior team in fighting majors back in the 00's) texted his dad and I and said "I hate to take a term from your generations, but they have zero jam".

Made me feel old.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Time to bump

What is going on? I'm not trying to make a mountain out of a molehill with the Brazeau signing and call up but it just doesn't make sense to me why our highly touted prospects don't. It's been a theme all year. Monty would much rather lean on veteran guys like Boqvist, Brown, Richard, Steen, Mitchell

Instead of our highly touted prospects like Beecher, Lysell, Lohrei, Merkulov, Kuntar and even Regula.

You would think it being a retool year that we would see what some of these guys have, who by all accounts are meeting or exceeding expectations in Providence.

At the end of the day, I'm tired of seeing a soft lineup with AAAA guys every night who bring no physicality at the expense of our best prospects

Couple things:

First, they seem to be copying the old Detroit style of over-cooking their prospects where you don't call someone up just to test them out. You call them up when you know they're ready.

Second, last I checked, they're in a cap position where they can't actually call up their better prospects because they make too much money. Notice Brazeau and Richard both make the minimum salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad