Post-Game Talk: There’s something in the water … and it’s quenched our thirst!

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Since the Ekholm trade the Oilers are 43-17-2 in the regular season. That is an 82 game pace of 116 points. What is even more impressive is that if you exclude the 12 game start where both Ekholm and McDavid were noticeably hobbled the record would be 41-8-1 which is an 82 game pace of 136 points on a 50 game sample size. Now of course in a season there will be injuries and slumps so I am not saying that they are a 136 point team. But it does show that when the big dogs are healthy this team is tough to beat.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Since the Ekholm trade the Oilers are 43-17-2 in the regular season. That is an 82 game pace of 116 points. What is even more impressive is that if you exclude the 12 game start where both Ekholm and McDavid were noticeably hobbled the record would be 41-8-1 which is an 82 game pace of 136 points on a 50 game sample size. Now of course in a season there will be injuries and slumps so I am not saying that they are a 136 point team. But it does show that when the big dogs are healthy this team is tough to beat.
Ekholm is just one of those guys that makes everyone better. He brings confidence to the other 4 guys and the goalie when he's on the ice. He brings veteran leadership and can settle guys down. He's one of those guys that even without saying a word shows the rest of the team what it takes to be a pro player.

And let's not kid ourselves it wasn't that long ago that we had to play Nurse 25+ minutes a night. I have no doubt that he can do that at times, but when he was doing that all season long it wears on the guy. Now having him and Nurse as a 1-2 punch on two different pairings really does make it easier to overcome a guy or two on the backend having an off night.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Ekholm is just one of those guys that makes everyone better. He brings confidence to the other 4 guys and the goalie when he's on the ice. He brings veteran leadership and can settle guys down. He's one of those guys that even without saying a word shows the rest of the team what it takes to be a pro player.

And let's not kid ourselves it wasn't that long ago that we had to play Nurse 25+ minutes a night. I have no doubt that he can do that at times, but when he was doing that all season long it wears on the guy. Now having him and Nurse as a 1-2 punch on two different pairings really does make it easier to overcome a guy or two on the backend having an off night.
I think Ekholm has had a massive impact positive on Nurse and certainly on Bouchard.

I loved seeing the big Viking chew out Gourde last night while they were both sitting in the box.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think Ekholm has had a massive impact positive on Nurse and certainly on Bouchard.
Desharnais too. Heard a few times, granted not lately, but Ekholm has went to the guy after a bad play and just forget about it go back out there and play your game.

Now this is something that the new coaching staff is doing too. Listening to the players the last couple weeks with these come from behind victories there have been a lot of questions by media. Most of the message is to stay calm and stick to the original game plan. Don't try do something stupid just because we are down a couple goals, be patient and the chances will come.

I think that is really one of the larger adjustments that have been made by Knobs. The communication to not panic and stick to the plan.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Well. I just got home from the game & I'm not a bad luck charm. 12, YAY,

As for the game, I thought Derek Ryan was very good especially on the PK & d-zone draws on the PK..
Shout out to our video coaches because not a soul in the arena had any clue it was offside it happened so fast.
Agreed on replays; had no clue until they said no goal and then showed replay

Reactions: HockeyGuy1964

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
the oilers gained 16pts on the kings in 45ish days. LOL

and thats with the kings collecting a bunch of loser points. now time to hunt down vancouver
I also think how many teams they leap frogged in that time, at least 6 (LA, Nsh, Cgy, Sea, Ari and Stl) and maybe (when they were lowest 8 because (Ana and Min).

Reactions: Oilhawks

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This guy is just a loser flame fan lol.
Of the whole play I just keep thinking "Grourde, you play like a rat every game, why are you surprised and upset when that comes back on you?"

Like what an epic pout from a player who should REALLY know better. Not that I think Seattle was coming back, but his meltdown cost them the game fully.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
haha. Tried watching the program. Got to around 4th episode and seemed same episode everytime. Just gave up on it. I even like Sudelkis and just thought the show was boring and formulaic. I'm not big on American sitcoms. tbh the show didn't make me laugh. Britcoms have me roaring in contrast. I was watching because I figured the wife might like it and she was bored with it.
I had the exact same experience. Had it recommended by multiple people as well as seeing people rave about it online. Got through maybe 5 or 6 episodes before I quit because the show felt the exact same every episode, like you said. After watching the last episode, both my GF and I basically said 'meh, pretty boring' and moved on to starting another series.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Of the whole play I just keep thinking "Grourde, you play like a rat every game, why are you surprised and upset when that comes back on you?"

Like what an epic pout from a player who should REALLY know better. Not that I think Seattle was coming back, but his meltdown cost them the game fully.
Lol he was clearly trying to antagonize McDavid all game but ended up antagonizing himself. :laugh:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I think this team is nearing the point where 90% of their game is in the right place and dialled in, it's just a matter of finding consistency cleaning up details in certain parts of the game to near perfection. If we were a little more aggressive shooting on the power play, a little more careful managing the puck high in the o zone and a littler sharper with our defensive reads in the neutral zone I can't think of any other aspects of our game that are out of place. 2006 is literally the last time an Oiler team defended close to this well for this long this consistently.

The second line was outstanding tonight after what I thought was a poor game against the Leafs. They're simplifying and focusing on working the puck low and to the net rather than trying to make plays above the circles and it paid dividends. They were also a lot quicker through the middle of the ice in transition.

I can't possibly leave a comment here and not talk about that officiating fiasco last night. Chris Lee decided to go for a casual skate and cash a pay cheque because I don't think he called a single penalty. Meanwhile Kozari decided to make his own version of the rule book and make himself part of the game. The Oilers got the short end of the stick as far as calls go, but Seattle could complain about several calls as well.

The Gourde incident doesn't happen if they just paid attention and made the right calls in the first place on several fronts. For whatever reason Kozari (I won't bring up Lee because I think he was asleep) chose to stop calling any cross checks in the third period, so naturally the teams started teeing off on each other with cross checks. Then McDavid cross checks Gourde, then Gourde proceeds to attempt to kill one of our players. McDavid probably isn't even making that play if Kozari had called any of the proceeding half dozen cross checks.

The Foegele call at the end was nothing other than a clown deciding to rack us up just because he could. He stinks of old school ref that thinks he can do whatever he wants just because, and if he doesn't like you you'll pay for it. He's a sack of shit, the worst official in the NHL, and someone in the Oiler office needs to talk to the league about how he handles our games specifically.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

I'm convinced Dennis Wideman hangs out and posts on CP.

Look at this f***ing nonsense.

Thx for the replay since I was at the game & was wondering WTH happened to get Gourde going.

So, Wideman is saying anybody & everybody should have to fight in the last 5 minutes of a 1 goal game if they accidentally high stick someone?

From that replay I'm not even 100% convinced it was McDavid's stick. I think it was Tolvanen's stick.

Edit: it was 100% Tolvanen's stick.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thx for the replay since I was at the game & was wondering WTH happened to get Gourde going.

So, Wideman is saying anybody & everybody should have to fight in the last 5 minutes of a 1 goal game if they accidentally high stick someone?

From that replay I'm not even 100% convinced it was McDavid's stick. I think it was Tolvanen's stick.

Edit: it was 100% Tolvanen's stick.
Then if he does fight you get the "why the hell is he fighting" tweets lol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
  • Haha
Reactions: Maverick41

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad