Post-Game Talk: There’s something in the water … and it’s quenched our thirst!

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think you can fault a goalie for a breakway goal, But the 2nd one, he probably did have a chance. I wasn't a fan of that one, now I think of it. I'll ammend my post accordingly.

I agree on it's own - any one break away it's fair for the other team to score on.

I did kind of feel like getting beat on 2 of 3 in the first period when the Kraken didn't really have any other chances was a little chinsy you'd like to see that only be one of three on average.

That said, he made some good stops after that making up for it and shutting the door. He had a good game.

I dunno I just get frustrated with how lax this market has become on mediocre Goaltending - the job as a Goaltender in the NHL is to stop things that you're not supposed to stop, and all the good Goaltenders do that - that means sometimes during the door on grade A scoring chances like a breakaway. And the job isn't to be perfect - it's to keep us in the game and be as good if not better than the other guy. The job is to be atleast slightly better than the mathematical average in the regular season and better than the guy across the rink in the playoffs. And to be fair - he's doing that very very well of late and props too him.

I just don't think that that means he should be immune from criticism. You can like a guys game but still be critical about some things. Idk, I spent a very long time while injured as a kid working with my buddy who was my teams Goaltender and a Goaltending coach one year - a lot of Goaltending fundamentals get overlooked a lot of times, but they're something I've paid attention too after spending so much time with a relative guru all those years ago. And to be fair I've probably given Skinner more crap than he's deserved this year, but also he literally had fundamentals worse than your average peewee Goaltender for awhile there at the start of the year in terms of positioning and puck tracking.

This is a market that once felt like a guy like Prime Tommy Salo was a relatively mediocre Goaltender when realistically he was a top 5 Goaltender in the league on an annual basis - just he couldn't compare to Cujo.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Crazy to see us in a divisional playoff spot ALREADY at the halfway mark of the season after such a dreadful start. Feels good man.
I remember when we were talking about the miracle that it would take to sneak into a wild card. Well...

In a way, I was kind of hoping for a wild card to draw Vancouver or potentially Winnipeg. Kind of getting sick of the Kings and Knights matchups even though Vegas was only one series. Looks like we're headed down that path again although I think Vancouver has a really bad stretch in them at some point when the division will become attainable.

Either way, the Oilers have come a long way in a short period of time. A 20-3 stretch will do that for you.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
It’s been over 4 hours since the start of the game. I’m sure it’s been over for 1.5 hours. I live in Oregon and a 16 hour drive to Roger’s Place and over 3 to Seattle when it has to be blacked out. It’s still blacked out for me. Lol. NHL you suck.

I saw some highlights only because I dug around. What did that loser Gourde do and to whom?

Frig Wooooo! Shelbyville next!

Made a dirty hit by jumping up to make contact with Ekholm’s head. Then he speared Skinner.

Reactions: Oilhawks and subnet

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
It’s been over 4 hours since the start of the game. I’m sure it’s been over for 1.5 hours. I live in Oregon and a 16 hour drive to Roger’s Place and over 3 to Seattle when it has to be blacked out. It’s still blacked out for me. Lol. NHL you suck.

I saw some highlights only because I dug around. What did that loser Gourde do and to whom?

Frig Wooooo! Shelbyville next!
Dirty hit on Ekholm

Here's the review for the 5min major

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Props to you @Oilhawks for the Kane gif; well deserved!!

Koraski is a piece of shit!!!! I swear he called that pathetic tap because McDavid wanted a penalty shot before hand. Absolutely garbage that guy is!!!

Another come from behind win for 12 in a row!!!

Hey Calgary.....
bloodsport-you-are-next.gif

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Calgary flames have like 100 fans and the government buying them an arena...
Well I think they really wanted the Calgary Votes, paying for the Arena was just collateral damage. Kind of like in Shawshank where Andy has to climb through the pipe full of poop to get to the other side and be free.

Reactions: soothsayer

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Well. I just got home from the game & I'm not a bad luck charm. 12, YAY,

As for the game, I thought Derek Ryan was very good especially on the PK & d-zone draws on the PK..
Shout out to our video coaches because not a soul in the arena had any clue it was offside it happened so fast.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Calgary flames have like 100 fans and the government buying them an arena...
We need to get them in a room and count them, the way they do math I'm not even sure they can make it past 10... Lmfao, some dumbass posted our even strength stats w/wo McDavid (both were +GD), then posted the all situations where the wo McDavid was heavily minus compared to the with...

Like no shit, he doesn't PK. Obviously if you choose all situations the team will be massively + with him (5v5/PP) and massively minus without (PK). Dumbest shit I've seen, and thats saying something with how many bandwagoning fans of a certain team are polluting the mains with their grade 2 understanding of stats.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
View attachment 806074
Drivesaitl needs a little Ted Lasso in his life
haha. Tried watching the program. Got to around 4th episode and seemed same episode everytime. Just gave up on it. I even like Sudelkis and just thought the show was boring and formulaic. I'm not big on American sitcoms. tbh the show didn't make me laugh. Britcoms have me roaring in contrast. I was watching because I figured the wife might like it and she was bored with it.

Reactions: Old Boys Club

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
haha. Tried watching the program. Got to around 4th episode and seemed same episode everytime. Just gave up on it. I even like Sudelkis and just thought the show was boring and formulaic. I'm not big on American sitcoms. tbh the show didn't make me laugh. Britcoms have me roaring in contrast. I was watching because I figured the wife might like it and she was bored with it.
Hey everyone has different tastes. At least you gave it a try. On my side it’s probably top 5 all time watches for me. My wife and I couldn’t stop. Was a total binge fest. The humor definitely is unique. It was a weird mix of American and British humor. But not the typical British humor (dry). Ted lasso to a lot of people that I talk to is less about the humor and mostly about a show that actually focuses more on “good feels” than anything else. Tugs at the heart strings in a weird way.

And hey at least you are channeling the same effort here with the oilers. You’re giving skinner a chance!!!

Reactions: Sra1974

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad