OT: TheDizee Prophecy Thread

LogosBlue

May 16, 2018
Binnington won them a cup. Aren't we always preaching about how we should spend the money to keep the guy that won us a cup? He's not a 6 mil goalie, but he is far from the worst part about this roster. Also basically singlehandedly won the series against the Avs.

Kyrou, I'm gonna take a guess and say that it was a slow start. If you take a look at his splits, he's been pretty consistent month to month, at or nearly a point per game. Last year was incredibly consistent and October (so far) is the only month this year he hasn't scored at a ppg pace. Barring an injury, I don't see why he would stop scoring over a ppg pace.
Binner was the key element to those wins but a close second was O'Reilly hounding McKinnon every shift. The two in combination frustrated the entire offense.

All goalies have ups downs shutouts and blowouts. Binner is worth every bit of 6m / yr. I like to think of him as the Claude Lemuix of goalies.

Reactions: Reality Czech

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Binner was the key element to those wins but a close second was O'Reilly hounding McKinnon every shift. The two in combination frustrated the entire offense.

All goalies have ups downs shutouts and blowouts. Binner is worth every bit of 6m / yr. I like to think of him as the Claude Lemuix of goalies.
I was totally fine with extending Binnington as we didn't really have many other options AND he won us a cup. The criticism starts with him being the 7th highest paid goalie and being the 32nd best goalie in the league this year (14 or more games played). Again, I'll cut him a bit of slack as he's performing relatively well for the team being awful, but he's been roughly league average or worse for 3 1/2 years. Personally I'm more in the middle with my view on Binnington; not as bad as people make him out to be, not nearly good enough for his contract.

Reactions: TheDizee

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I was totally fine with extending Binnington as we didn't really have many other options AND he won us a cup. The criticism starts with him being the 7th highest paid goalie and being the 32nd best goalie in the league this year (14 or more games played). Again, I'll cut him a bit of slack as he's performing relatively well for the team being awful, but he's been roughly league average or worse for 3 1/2 years. Personally I'm more in the middle with my view on Binnington; not as bad as people make him out to be, not nearly good enough for his contract.

Compare him to his peers, he's played 30 games and you're comparing him to ones that have played 14. Goalies consistently get worse the more they are played.

Brian probably has the stats of how many goals have been back door tap ins and been deflected off of our own Dmen. I can easily see it being close to 15 or so combined. That alone would change the outlook many people have on him.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Compare him to his peers, he's played 30 games and you're comparing him to ones that have played 14. Goalies consistently get worse the more they are played.

Brian probably has the stats of how many goals have been back door tap ins and been deflected off of our own Dmen. I can easily see it being close to 15 or so combined. That alone would change the outlook many people have on him.
At the time I wrote that, he was just starting his 29th game, so I think comparing him to 1A goalies is fair for me to do. If you want, we can compare him to goalies right now with 25 games played, but I'm not going to compare him to guys with 28, 29, 30 starts because he is tied for the most games played in the league which is ridiculous. There are a few 1A/1B's in there but I think it's a good enough measurement. Binnington sits at 19th out of 23rd in gaa and is firmly in last place in sv%. Look at Husso, and he is 16th in gaa, 15th in sv%. I'd argue the Redwings and the Blues are equally mediocre, but I'd be fine if Binnington had Husso's numbers given the Blues' struggles. It just makes it worse when your goalie is getting paid more than ~25 other "starters" AND you had the option to keep Husso and look at trading Binnington.

Again, my argument isn't that Binnington is bad. He could be, but his numbers point somewhere towards being an average goalie; good enough in stretches to dominate, not good enough season long to carry a team, and probably not good enough to challenge for vezina... like ever.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
At the time I wrote that, he was just starting his 29th game, so I think comparing him to 1A goalies is fair for me to do. If you want, we can compare him to goalies right now with 25 games played, but I'm not going to compare him to guys with 28, 29, 30 starts because he is tied for the most games played in the league which is ridiculous. There are a few 1A/1B's in there but I think it's a good enough measurement. Binnington sits at 19th out of 23rd in gaa and is firmly in last place in sv%. Look at Husso, and he is 16th in gaa, 15th in sv%. I'd argue the Redwings and the Blues are equally mediocre, but I'd be fine if Binnington had Husso's numbers given the Blues' struggles. It just makes it worse when your goalie is getting paid more than ~25 other "starters" AND you had the option to keep Husso and look at trading Binnington.

Again, my argument isn't that Binnington is bad. He could be, but his numbers point somewhere towards being an average goalie; good enough in stretches to dominate, not good enough season long to carry a team, and probably not good enough to challenge for vezina... like ever.

When he first came up I think I made the argument that he's always been an average goalie. His career stats even show that, being .910 -.915 sv% his entire career till he made the NHL. Even now with all of our problems defensively he's closer to average than people realize. Lots of goals being scored so "average" is getting lower and lower stat wise. As far as Husso is concerned. He's done nothing but prove he can be a decent regular season goalie and his only playoff showing so far was god awful. I would prefer Binnington being mediocre in the regular season with a chance to become Patrick Roy in the play offs for 6 mill over the other way around. We've spent our entire lives as Blues fans having it the other way around and I don't want to go back.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
When he first came up I think I made the argument that he's always been an average goalie. His career stats even show that, being .910 -.915 sv% his entire career till he made the NHL. Even now with all of our problems defensively he's closer to average than people realize. Lots of goals being scored so "average" is getting lower and lower stat wise. As far as Husso is concerned. He's done nothing but prove he can be a decent regular season goalie and his only playoff showing so far was god awful. I would prefer Binnington being mediocre in the regular season with a chance to become Patrick Roy in the play offs for 6 mill over the other way around. We've spent our entire lives as Blues fans having it the other way around and I don't want to go back.
You might've made that argument, and I'd agree for the most part. Like you said, "average" for a goalie is regressing numbers wise, but unless the team is solid, we won't get to see that Binnington. He's not Carey Price and that's fine, but you have to be confident in your blueline otherwise you're a middling team as we're seeing right now.

Reactions: TheDizee

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
The more we see of Binner, the more we see he's just a Brian Elliott clone with better puck handling skills and mental toughness. But he's still just an OK goalie. View him as a Chris Osgood type. On a good team he can be good, but he's not a elite goaltender and should never have been paid like that especially since the ways he's played since the bubble

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
The more we see of Binner, the more we see he's just a Brian Elliott clone with better puck handling skills and mental toughness. But he's still just an OK goalie. View him as a Chris Osgood type. On a good team he can be good, but he's not a elite goaltender and should never have been paid like that especially since the ways he's played since the bubble

Elite goalies make 10m/yr not 6.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Elite goalies make 10m/yr not 6.

He is in the upper 25% of goalies in terms of salary. That is a major reason the contract is a joke. Paid like a superstar, plays like a peewee player. He is our Matt Murray or Cam Ward.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

He is in the upper 25% of goalies in terms of salary. That is a major reason the contract is a joke. Paid like a superstar, plays like a peewee player. He is our Matt Murray or Cam Ward.

To be fair, he was on the all star team.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
To be fair, he was on the all star team.
So was Brian Elliott and Manny Legace. The NHL all Star game is a joke and pointless accolade. It also certainly does not mean I'd sign him to a contract like that just because he won a cup, which is what happened. Same thing happened with Cam Ward. That contract would be fine at 3-4 million dollars, even at the term. But the term and the cap hit make it one of the worst goalie contracts in the league. This guy was suppose to be a contender for starting goalie for team Canada in the Olympics. Put a good team in front of him like Osgood and you can win but I don't recall Osgood EVER being in the top 25% of goalies in terms of salary. In fact, I remember Detroit cutting ties and sending him off to Long Island.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If the Blues finish with a bottom 5 record, they will win #1 pick in the lottery this year.
Dizee you are like

take-no.gif

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
So was Brian Elliott and Manny Legace. The NHL all Star game is a joke and pointless accolade. It also certainly does not mean I'd sign him to a contract like that just because he won a cup, which is what happened. Same thing happened with Cam Ward. That contract would be fine at 3-4 million dollars, even at the term. But the term and the cap hit make it one of the worst goalie contracts in the league. This guy was suppose to be a contender for starting goalie for team Canada in the Olympics. Put a good team in front of him like Osgood and you can win but I don't recall Osgood EVER being in the top 25% of goalies in terms of salary. In fact, I remember Detroit cutting ties and sending him off to Long Island.
I can also remember Detroit bringing Osgood back and him taking the Red Wings to the Cup in 2008 and back to Game 7 of the Finals in 2009.

The current contract only makes no sense if you had a Plan B. That was going to be ... Husso, in his first NHL season who was 5-2-1 but sporting 3.48, .884 to go with it and looking not great even in those wins?
Hofer, who was in his 1st pro season? Ellis, who was in his final season in the Q? Chucky Sideburns was still with Montreal; I don't see where you were saying in March, 2021 that we should go get Chucky, he's a future #1 goalie, we can hitch our wagon to him and he'll lead us back to the promised land. The UFA market didn't have much, and I don't know who was going to be available via trade that we'd have said yeah, get him, he's better than Binnington, he can carry us deep into the postseason too! without a huge price tag, both in terms of assets dealt and the contract handed out.

If you want to say 6 years was too long, OK. Someone would have given it to him; if we try to hold the line and he walks to FA, then we're trying to figure out Plan B. Again, we didn't really have one. It's great to second-guess that contract now, but 2 years ago the Blues [mistakenly] thought the Cup window was still wide open for a while, and it was better to go with the guy they knew could get them 16 Ws there. The problem isn't his play, even if he's had bad games. It's the fact that the defense has hung him out to dry on a number of nights - like, say, last night - and doesn't give a shit, and still can't understand how to defend the back-door tap-in even after it happens the 50th time.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
"walman is interesting because last season he showed alot of promise but he wasnt getting ice time or even playing here. change of scenery could do him good but this also opens up a spot for others and we have pieces that can fill his void. i think he might turn into the real loss of this trade."

too bad im not gm, we'd have many key pieces still including walman.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
You know things are bad when we're lamenting the loss of Jake Walman, who for all the current hype was still a 5/6 guy here who struggled even when sheltered. Who knew you had to just throw him in the deep end and he'd magically swim like Michael Phelps.

I'm vaguely, though not particularly, interested in what this super-duper hypothetical Cup-contending roster would look like.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

25% of NHL goalies are superstars?

my first time trying this and got this result. this will be your 2023 nhl draft order

View attachment 659890
I do this once and for five days in a row we've had either the 1st overall pick or the 2nd overall pick. It's written in the stars.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
You know things are bad when we're lamenting the loss of Jake Walman, who for all the current hype was still a 5/6 guy here who struggled even when sheltered. Who knew you had to just throw him in the deep end and he'd magically swim like Michael Phelps.

I'm vaguely, though not particularly, interested in what this super-duper hypothetical Cup-contending roster would look like.

No one but a few short bussers are giving 2 shits about Walman.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
You guys pushing the lotto button are reducing the chances of us actually winning it! Don’t waste what little luck we have!

Reactions: ExJbeck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad