The Young Defense Thread Part I: who should play with Greene edition

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There is no shot Severson in his first pro season is a bust. It is entirely possible he was rushed which was not necessary considering it was putting Larsson in the stands till Sal got hurt, but he still has plenty of time. Of course his latter part of his rookie season is a reality check if you assumed he'd bypass the learning curve the way the other three weren't able to.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I don't think he was rushed. His play has dipped sure, but he's 20 year old rookie d-man for crying out loud. It's not like he looks overwhelmed. And just like they did with Larsson, it's pretty clear they're focusing him on being conservative offensively. He's doing a lot of thinking on the ice right now.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
okay

But I do wish we could get Cam Barker.

I've been calling Larsson a top four defenseman for more than two years now...I even got laughed at for saying it last year on the trade board after he got sent down...

What I have said is he isn't an elite defenseman, his skating will keep him from being that and that is disappointing for a 4th overall... and I'll stand by that.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006
What I have said is he isn't an elite defenseman, his skating will keep him from being that and that is disappointing for a 4th overall... and I'll stand by that.

larrson is starting to grow into what you would feel conformable putting as a #2 on the first pairing, but this is the truth. lars will be very good but elite will be pushing it.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
LOL at Calgary fans for saying we would have to add for Lars for Bartschi.

What did they get from Vancouver?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I've been calling Larsson a top four defenseman for more than two years now...I even got laughed at for saying it last year on the trade board after he got sent down...

Do you think he can be a #2 defenseman in his career? I think he's been close to that level for the second half of the season, but it's a small sample size so he'd obviously need to keep this play up. I think at #4 overall, landing a good #2 defenseman isn't much of a disappointment. And of course it is relative to other players in the draft class. If he can prove to be one of the better defenseman in that class then again, not much else I can expect from the guy.

What he lacks in skating he makes up for with great hockey IQ. His ability to read and react to plays allows him to not rely on his skating as much. He'll get burned here and there, but he's cut that down a lot this season (even before Deboer got fired) and there is still room for improvement IMO.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014

At even strength he's been the 8th least sheltered in the league in terms of zone starts, and he plays more minutes than three of the players above him. He's 16th in the league in terms of even strength points/60. Of the players that are above him, only Roman Josi deals with similarly tough minutes.

It's pretty crazy actually. I think he can improve, and potentially become a fringe elite player. Especially if he can figure out how to quarterback a powerplay. If you think what we've seen is his ceiling, I guess I would be satisfied with that too though.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
At even strength he's been the 8th least sheltered in the league in terms of zone starts, and he plays more minutes than three of the players above him. He's 16th in the league in terms of even strength points/60. Of the players that are above him, only Roman Josi deals with similarly tough minutes.

It's pretty crazy actually. I think he can improve, and potentially become a fringe elite player. Especially if he can figure out how to quarterback a powerplay. If you think what we've seen is his ceiling, I guess I would be satisfied with that too though.

That'll come. I'm hoping his lack of PP time is due to him focusing on playing top pairing minutes.

If the next 2 years he is not, this place will rage lol

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That'll come. I'm hoping his lack of PP time is due to him focusing on playing top pairing minutes.

If the next 2 years he is not, this place will rage lol

It's more that oates uses 4 forwards so only two D ever get to play PP and Gely and Severson make more sense.

We go back to two D at the point next year Lars will get a lot more PP time.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
It's more that oates uses 4 forwards so only two D ever get to play PP and Gely and Severson make more sense.

We go back to two D at the point next year Lars will get a lot more PP time.

Gelly is really irresponsible defensively on the PP. Pisses me off to no end. Larsson should be there as well.

Screw Oates system! It's ridiculous

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think he meant he'd have Larsson 'with' Gelly as the points/d-men on the PP, not replacing him. Which probably isn't a bad idea for next year, assuming the genius isn't our head coach lol

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I think he meant he'd have Larsson 'with' Gelly as the points/d-men on the PP, not replacing him. Which probably isn't a bad idea for next year, assuming the genius isn't our head coach lol

Yes that is what I meant. If we don't have Gelinas on the PP, we may as well not have him at all :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Ahhh well yes most definitely.

I've been screaming for it since Oates came back. We have 5 D(counting Greene) that can play very effective point on the PP but we aren't using them.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It's pretty crazy that Larsson is scoring at a 50 point pace since the coaching change, is playing #1 minutes, is a monster on the PK, yet is "disappointing" because of his skating.

Looks like we'll have to settle for a disappointing defenseman that's been outscoring Nathan MacKinnon since Christmas. Such a shame he can't skate. That's what held those no names like Ray Bouque and Nicklas Lidtsrom back, they just couldn't skate fast. Not as fast as HHOF defensemen Michael Del Zotto or Mike Green, anyway.

If he's this good without skating, then it's probably a good thing for the rest of the league that no player has ever improved their skating ever in the history of hockey. I imagine he'd be like Bobby Orr if he could get the whole skating thing under control. I mean, damn. What a disappointment. Maybe we *should* trade him for Phil Kessel.....

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's pretty crazy that Larsson is scoring at a 50 point pace since the coaching change, is playing #1 minutes, is a monster on the PK, yet is "disappointing" because of his skating.

Looks like we'll have to settle for a disappointing defenseman that's been outscoring Nathan MacKinnon since Christmas. Such a shame he can't skate. That's what held those no names like Ray Bouque and Nicklas Lidtsrom back, they just couldn't skate fast. Not as fast as HHOF defensemen Michael Del Zotto or Mike Green, anyway.

If he's this good without skating, then it's probably a good thing for the rest of the league that no player has ever improved their skating ever in the history of hockey. I imagine he'd be like Bobby Orr if he could get the whole skating thing under control. I mean, damn. What a disappointment. Maybe we *should* trade him for Phil Kessel.....

This was hilarious!:handclap: Second paragraph especially.:laugh:

The fact that Larsson has produced all that offense without any PP points is pretty impressive. If he's that good at even strength, I don't see why he couldn't produce some on the PP if given extended time there too.

He has a couple shorthanded points too.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

Great post :handclap:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
50 point pace in an arbitrary fantasy world...only in wackado world is 24 points in 61 games 50 point pace.

Mark Fayne with a tan.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
50 point pace in an arbitrary fantasy world...only in wackado world is 24 points in 61 games 50 point pace.

Mark Fayne with a tan.

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.. Are you seriously comparing Larsson to Fayne?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Mark Fayne with a tan.

I agree with most of the rest of what you said, but you got me lost on this one...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Mark Fayne with a tan.
While Afro is off a little bit on the 50 point pace, he has produced 20 points in the 43 games since DeBoer was fired. 20 points in 39 games dating back to January the 3rd.
I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.. Are you seriously comparing Larsson to Fayne?
Who the hell knows?

Fayne has never had more than 17 points in a season.:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad