The Young Defense Thread Part I: who should play with Greene edition

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015
I like Larsson on the PP. He has good vision and he passes well. Would anyone else like to see him on the PP feeding it to Gelinas?

Question complete.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I like how Larsson has played with Greene, but I think I might want to throw Severson back with Andy when he comes back.

If Larsson keeps up his steady play, Merrill-Lars or Gelly-Lars could be sick potential pairings.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If you could sign Larsson to an 8 year/32 mil contract, do you do it?

I'd like the length to be shorter to be honest, going up until his last RFA season. But that cap hit would be a steal, it'd be hard to say no.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
yes. even if its a bit premature and much right now, i think 4 mil/year isn't too crazy, and in 8 years time could be real cheap. even if he declines, which i doubt (knock on wood), i still think he's an NHL defenseman regardless

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
For Larsson, maybe 5-6 yrs @ $25M break it down like; 2-2.5-4-4.5-6-6.

So by the time he's 26/27 he's making 1st pair money.

I'd imagine he and his agent would like a bridge deal. Maybe 2yrs@6M

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
As for Severson, maybe send him to Albany for "rehab". Would make more sense than throwing him right back in and disrupting Larsson's play with Greene. We can then get an idea if Damon is ready enough to comeback up, or leave him down. Especially if we fall out of the race and Seves can help the baby Devils make a push.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I like Larsson.

He's slowly becoming that elite Defenseman we EXPECTED him to be sooner, if not for Pete.

I think that's the problem. Sure Pete didn't help, but too many people expected Larsson to step into the league and be a great defenseman right off the hop. It's preached defenseman take longer to develop, but when ours take "too long" (they're still in their early 20s) that notion gets thrown out the window.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'd like to see Severson play with Greene as a test to see how Larsson does without Greene. Probably would help Merrill out too.

Spread the minutes more evenly among the three pairs, if Zid is still here after the trade deadline.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think that's the problem. Sure Pete didn't help, but too many people expected Larsson to step into the league and be a great defenseman right off the hop. It's preached defenseman take longer to develop, but when ours take "too long" (they're still in their early 20s) that notion gets thrown out the window.

It was the first time in a REALLY long time the Devils had a high pick. I think people had forgotten how rare it is for a high pick to step in and dominate. Especially a D man.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Even if it's just for a couple games, I'd like to see Severson start on the third pair with Gelinas. He's been out for awhile, and he hasn't been skating, and I think in terms of evaluating Gelinas, we need to see at least a little bit of him playing with a very competent partner. Severson gets to work his way back up to speed, Gelinas could probably work on his play more easily with a really reliable, steady partner. Plus then I don't have to watch Peter Harrold.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It was the first time in a REALLY long time the Devils had a high pick. I think people had forgotten how rare it is for a high pick to step in and dominate. Especially a D man.

And for a defenseman who had yet to play on North American ice. To his credit, Larsson did play good his first season until the injury.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
There really is not much of a reason to rush Severson or even bother playing him again this season, in the NHL at least.

He hasn't begun skating and March is less than a week away. He's going to have to skate for at the least a week or two and who knows how it goes considering it is an ankle injury that has taken this long already as it is. That leaves you with essentially 3 weeks and about 10-15 games left in the season for him to come back. Let him get his legs and conditioning back in Albany the rest of the year when he's ready.

If things go quicker than expected and he does wind up playing in the NHL again this season, wouldn't be opposed to playing him with Greene again and seeing Larsson paired with Gelinas as the two of them played well together last year, which was probably the best stretch of hockey Larsson had last year.

I understand don't fix what ain't broken with Larsson/Greene, but part of the development process, that everybody is of course concerned with, is letting the training wheels start to come off gradually and part of that process has to at some point be to let Larsson play on his own/with whoever

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
There really is not much of a reason to rush Severson or even bother playing him again this season, in the NHL at least.

He hasn't begun skating and March is less than a week away. He's going to have to skate for at the least a week or two and who knows how it goes considering it is an ankle injury that has taken this long already as it is. That leaves you with essentially 3 weeks and about 10-15 games left in the season for him to come back. Let him get his legs and conditioning back in Albany the rest of the year when he's ready.

If things go quicker than expected and he does wind up playing in the NHL again this season, wouldn't be opposed to playing him with Greene again and seeing Larsson paired with Gelinas as the two of them played well together last year, which was probably the best stretch of hockey Larsson had last year.

I understand don't fix what ain't broken with Larsson/Greene, but part of the development process, that everybody is of course concerned with, is letting the training wheels start to come off gradually and part of that process has to at some point be to let Larsson play on his own/with whoever

I said this weeks ago and I agree.

just let him fully recover.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Severson has had two months of pro experience. Any game time he can get before the season ends is a positive unless there's a chance of re injury which I doubt.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

We've got to get him tuned up for the playoffs. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad