Post-Game Talk: The worst part is when they gave you hope

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That team actually did lack leadership. It wasn't until the coaches decided to run a "we are going to get fired so let's just teach them shot blocking" practice that the players smartened up.

I mean they had the players for it, but they needed a wake up call.

This club clearly doesn't have the vocal leadership though
nah, they had Chris Pronger...he was an elite leader

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I think Devan Toews had a great quote last night that to me describes this hockey team. Even though he wasn't talking about the Oilers.

I think we got some guys who think they’re playing well and I think they’re kidding themselves at this point​

This is bang on for a few guys at minimum.

Reactions: frag2

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The ironic thing about this Oilers team is they acquired (by accident) the single hardest thing for a franchise to acquire: A generational player. Filling out the rest of the roster should be child's play.

But they haven't. Most of their acquisitions the last few years have ranged from good (Hyman) to AA/Brown/Campbell... The ABCs of shit.

We're seeing another year wasted because this org can't figure it out. And let's be real, even if we do make the dance we're just first round fodder for the Avs or Vegas. This was the year to contend for the Cup and come Christmas we're near the bottom five of the league. Jeff Jackson could give us all a Happy Holiday by handing out several pink slips today. But all they've done since this disastrous year started was turf the coach and that new coach bump is well in the rearview mirror.

And they're not going to do anything. Oilers brass has convinced themselves time and time again that they're doing a bangup job and that everyone else is to blame. Same as it always was.

At the very least axe the goalie coach. He could be Jesus Christ for all I care, it doesn't make him good at his job. Clean him out and go from there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
how does that prove they lacked leadership? that team had a 3-headed monster in net yet they managed to be in first place of the division at Christmas

And then they bombed several sections of the season after that to almost miss the playoffs. They lost to Minnesota back to back out of the Christmas break and then the goaltending shit the bed on the New Year's Eve game they lost to Calgary which they should have won.

And that team got an actual goalie within the season, this team, we are now into year 2 of "the crappiest goalie tandem ever" with no end in sight. To act like this doesn't have a profound impact on the team that filters into every area is naïve.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
And then they bombed several sections of the season after that to almost miss the playoffs.

And that team got an actual goalie, this team, we are now into year 2 of "the crappiest goalie tandem ever" with no end in sight. To act like this doesn't have a profound impact on the team that filters into every area is naive.
Year 2? Other than Talbot in 2017 it feels like we've had the crappiest goalie tandem ever every year for the past decade.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
View attachment 787262

I love how Skinner doesn't even push off before the puck is on Holmstrom's stick haha.

Skinner trying to move laterally on any odd man rush

fail-over-it.gif

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pass pass pass pass pass pass pass blocked shot...
Pass pass pass bad pass puck out of Offensive zone

Bad pp

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And then they bombed several sections of the season after that to almost miss the playoffs. They lost to Minnesota back to back out of the Christmas break and then the goaltending shit the bed on the New Year's Eve game they lost to Calgary which they should have won.

And that team got an actual goalie within the season, this team, we are now into year 2 of "the crappiest goalie tandem ever" with no end in sight. To act like this doesn't have a profound impact on the team that filters into every area is naïve.
they never lost more than 2 games all season after October...they knew how to stop a slide, even with bad goaltending

this team has lost 3 in a row (or more) three times already

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
they never lost more than 2 games all season after October...they knew how to stop a slide, even with bad goaltending

this team has lost 3 in a row (or more) three times already

What are you talking about?

They lost 3/4 right out of the Christmas break, then had a good win against Chicago (5-0) but then proceeded to lose the next 4/5 games.

They had multiple 4 game losing streaks after that too.

Now imagine they had been stuck with Conklin/Markkanen not only for a full year, but into year 2 as well of that same shit.

You'd break the morale of the team 100%, they'd never sniff a Cup Final. There is no leadership that's overcoming continual bottom tier goaltending, it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What are you talking about?

They lost 3/4 right out of the Christmas break, then had a good win against Chicago (5-0) but then proceeded to lose the next 4/5 games.

They had multiple 4 game losing streaks after that too.
no, they lost 2 in a row then proceed to win on Dec 30th against Nashville

again, they never went the rest of the year without picking up points in 3 straight games (aka loses)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
no, they lost 2 in a row then proceed to win on Dec 30th against Nashville

again, they never went the rest of the year without picking up points in 3 straight games (aka loses)

lol, OK that's a loose definition of what a "win" is.

The fact is they had multiple 3 and 4 game losing streaks.

If you let that team have to rely on Conklin/Markkanen not only for that season, but the following season, even assuming Pronger stayed, I don't even think they make the playoffs in 05-06, and probably completely fall apart in 06-07.

Same leadership group. Wouldn't matter. They're not even coming close to a Cup Final without that Roloson trade and even that trade was almost too little, too late, they struggled for a good deal after that trade deadline even.

That team got to 95 points, McDavid lifted the Oilers to 109 points last year. The "leadership" is fine. It's the stink in net that's not.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That is pretty damning. 😂

That's him on almost every 2 on 1. He pass is already almost all the way across before Skinner even tries to move his 230 pounds across. Good luck with that.

Dude is the Titanic in net.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
That's him on almost every 2 on 1. He pass is already almost all the way across before Skinner even tries to move his 230 pounds across. Good luck with that.

Dude is the Titanic in net.

He's got to get set first.

Can't imagine him just stretching and hoping, that would be bad form. Lol.

Never mind every other Goaltender ever doing that all the time... We can't because reasons?

Reactions: frag2

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agree but meh to the bolded. If this team had Demko and the Nucks PDO they would be gunning for the President's Trophy. They haven't really faced any adversity so it's difficult to predict how they will handle it. I don't believe in that core whatsoever. (Not that this one inspires much confidence)

A player like vintage Maroon would be great, agreed. The current version wouldn't make a big difference IMO.

There is no reason that they can't go for a cheap vet goalie and bottom 6 player to shake things up a bit. Ideally they get an upgrade on Ceci but I think that's a bridge too far for Jackson and Holland.
Demko is one of the best goalies in the West (and obviously he would help) but this team still doesnt have intestinal fortitude. Skinner wasnt the issue in this game.
They were forcing the game as soon as they felll behind.
They lose their will too easily and fall into the same old (losing) habits. Now its a 3 game losing streak and they are precariously close to undoing all the work they did to get back into the playoffs.
Mentally weak.
I think that part of that is there is no player on this team that can snap the team to attention.

lack of character and leadership to stay at an even keel

when things go well, everyone is confident and playing like they should and they look like Cup favorites

the second something goes wrong, they have no idea how to grind, work hard and stay in the fight...they get frustrated and start playing stupid
I agree.
Even with top tier goaltending this team is too mentally weak to be a contender.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
RNH was detrimental in this loss. Gave them the GWG and obliterated any chace for a comeback on the pp.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At least Skinner improved upon his GAA? That’s all I got.
Not really because he got pulled with over 5mins left meaning he only shit the bed for 55mins and let in 3 goals. Right at his GAA average. Sorry to get technical, just thought it was funny. That said Skinner got back in net because we got a penalty. Then he padded his stats on some Not even attempts to score "shots" from the Islanders down the stretch. Ftr he had let in 3 goals on 18shots in two periods. Islanders didn't even try to pot one in 3rd period.

next time pull Skinner with 10mins left, go from there..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iCanada and TKB21

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Not really because he got pulled with over 5mins left meaning he only shit the bed for 55mins and let in 3 goals. Right at his GAA average. Sorry to get technical, just thought it was funny. That said Skinner got back in net because we got a penalty. Then he padded his stats on some Not even attempts to score "shots" from the Islanders down the stretch. Ftr he had let in 3 goals on 18shots in two periods. Islanders didn't even try to pot one in 3rd period.

next time pull Skinner with 10mins left, go from there..
Thanks for shitting on the only positive I could draw from that debacle last night!

• Haha
Reactions: Drivesaitl

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Watched this game last night in my office. Well, I tried to... was basically a snoozer, and I fast-forwarded through much of the 2nd and 3rd. Once the 5-on-3 failed, the game was clearly over.

Which is typical of the 2020's era Oilers so far. They're definitely a mentally weak squad among the "leadership" group. They give it up like a virgin on prom night once their PP fails twice, or once the other team gets a lead. Some world-level athletes have the ability to collectively "double-down" on commitment and drive when the chips are down and when things don't go their way. The 2020's Oilers, however, have consistently demonstrated an inability to do this.

(Still not understanding how they failed to generate a chance on a 5-on-3, at a critical juncture of the game, against a team with the league's worst PK and missing three Dmen.)

Everyone predictably crapping on Skinner, who let in 1 goal at ES. He was brutal against Tampa, but even so, in his last nine appearances he's 7-2 with a .912 (which is better than Vasilevsky or Shesterkin over this mini-period). Ideally, he would not be playing this many games. (And yes, his rebound control is awful.)

I still think the Oilers are going to squeak into the playoffs in a wild-card spot since the Pacific is so bad. But they probably don't deserve to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad