Confirmed with Link: The worst day in Sharks history (DeMelo re-signed: 2yr/$900k per)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The comment in the press release about him being popular with his teammates is pointless. Playing a player because he’s more popular with his teammates like Demelo and Paul Martin when there are better options available is detrimental to the team.

You know a player sucks when that’s one of the things they mention in a press release.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
The Demelo hate on this board is funny. He is not a bad #6/7.

Sucks for Heed.
The biggest issue is that they play him over a more effective player (Heed). I wouldn't mind if he was truly a #7 filling in when someone was injured, but as long as he is in the team they Deboer will play him every night.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The biggest issue is that they play him over a more effective player (Heed). I wouldn't mind if he was truly a #7 filling in when someone was injured, but as long as he is in the team they Deboer will play him every night.

Demelo and Heed both have their warts and frankly I think the difference is overstated. While Heed provides marginally more offense (and occasionally scores goals which Demelo seems incapable of) and makes a better first pass, IMO Demelo is more defensively reliable and that carries the day when looking at a bottom pairing guy.

I still believe that if the situation was reversed and Heed beat out Demelo last season for the #6, this board would complain equally as much about Heed's play.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Welp, this sums up our summer...

giphy.gif

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
Demelo and Heed both have their warts and frankly I think the difference is overstated. While Heed provides marginally more offense (and occasionally scores goals which Demelo seems incapable of) and makes a better first pass, IMO Demelo is more defensively reliable and that carries the day when looking at a bottom pairing guy.

I still believe that if the situation was reversed and Heed beat out Demelo last season for the #6, this board would complain equally as much about Heed's play.
Except Demelo isn't more reliable defensively. The advanced stats show Dillon and Heed as one of the best 3rd pairings that turns into one of the worst when Demelo is put in instead.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

The issue is that, as a unit, the Sharks D corps needs what Heed provides (offence) more than what DeMelo provides (defence, allgedly). Ryan's offence is locked down as long as he's Burns' babysitter. Vlasic has marginal offence, but is miscast if being asked to move the puck. Braun provides some passing and assists, but he has no shot so he is purely a secondary option. And Dillion should probalby not be anywhere near hte offensive zone. So all the Sharks have on the back end to get the puck in the net is Burns. Except when Heed is in the lineup.

I would also contend that while Heed will be more liable to make egregious errors, DeMelo is no more reliable in terms of a ****-up rate. He's simply rarely in a position for him to get bit by things like bad pinches, awful gambles, or boneheaded mistakes of aggression. But he does have plenty of screw-ups on his resume.

But still:

LyVps6y.gif

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
So would his QO have been higher? Really confused by this

No, I don't think it would have. His salary last season was $700k. Even with the 10% escalator on his QO (I think that's where he would've been. I don't think he was high enough to just get the 5% escalator) it would've come out to $770k.

The only thing I can think of is that he was an easy target to renounce the rfa rights (and thus the cap hold associated with his QO) to facilitate some space-clearing Tavares shenanigans. There was obviously little chance that anyone would be beating down the door to sign a bottom pairing ufa d-man

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
I'm okay with this if they, at the very least, bring in another d-man to compete for the 6th spot (which should belong to Heed but I've given up on that dream).

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I loved the Boedker/Hoffman trade and the willingness to go all in on Tavares but the contracts Doug Wilson has signed this offseason range from questionable (Couture, Hertl) to completely unnecessary (this one, Kane).

I don't want to crap on DeMelo here because he's not even a bad player. He's a fine #7. But we all know DeBoer will continue to play him over a far superior option in Tim Heed and even inexplicably give him power play time.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
How does an all-good and benevolent God allow such things to happen?
Ah, a classic question, but then a sterling example of the argument for free will. If we deny his benevolence and chose to revel in our descent to hell (playing demelo in this instance), then is it our place to question him for giving us permission to f*** ourselves without lube or lidocaine?

Discuss.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
At 5V5, when Dillon is on the ice with DeMelo, the Sharks allow over 3 more high danger chances, over 1.3 more high danger goals, over 6 more scoring chances, over 1.1 more goals, over 5 more shots on goal, over 6 more unblocked shot attempts, and over 10 more shot attempts per 60 minutes than they do when Dillon is on the ice with Heed.

I’m curious, what evidence do people have that leads them to believe that DeMelo is better than Heed defensively? Forget offense, for a moment. What makes DeMelo a better defensive player than Heed?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The main problem here is that Demelo was the one who lobbied for a locked in #6 position. Now it'll take Merkley/Roy/Etc being a top 4 out of the gate or he'll never get to play. RIP Ryan Merkley's career. It was cool while it lasted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad