Post-Game Talk: The wind blew some leaves back onto the driveway, but Florida still up 3-1 in the series

What will happen tonight?

• Falling leafs

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Burning leafs

Votes: 11 45.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
The playoffs are against the best teams in the conference. I was not expecting the team to go 12-0 the rest of the way after round 1. Toronto has a good team and was better than the Panthers over 82 games.

The only thing that irked me was the players efforts, especially on home ice. They looked a step slow/sluggish. To Toronto's credit they were skating hard but it felt like the Panthers were just sleep walking and hoping the other guy on the line would make a play. Some players just need to be selfish and shoot the puck and at least try for a rebound off the blocker/pads. They tried the one extra pass too that killed offensive possession.

On to game 5.

Last Rat Standing

May 26, 2016
South Florida
Would we still feel the same way if they won last night, but lost either game 2 or game 3? 3-1 is still 3-1 no matter how you spin it. I saw a post online weeks ago that pertained to the NBA in which a road team split the first two, winning game 1 but losing game 2 and how it's all about the momentum of winning a game. Its all relative.

That doesn't discount or discredit the performance or lack there of last night. I wouldn't consider this team in trouble until/if they lose game 6.

CanePanther

Jan 4, 2022
We have been better when we are faced with adversity. Looks like Toronto has learned some things defensively. Maurice kept the F-16s in the holding docks but in his interview he said we needed to change a few things. Hopefully he realizes he needs our young guns to be more aggressive.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
There is really no one last night who was good. The whole team stunk on offense. They can’t possibly play that horrible and lackadaisical again. That the positive from this game. 4th line is an absolute mess. Zito will have that fixed in the off-season at least.

Reactions: PSLguy

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
The only silver lining to this game other than the obvious "we're up 3-1 in the series" is the leafs did not really elevate their play or seem more driven. They weren't good...like at all...But the panthers were...so f***in atrocious. It looks like we were trying NOT TO WIN. I'm not sure what kind of attitude we entered the game with but it looked night and day compared to our team with their backs against the wall.

I'm hoping our dominant run wasn't just a fluke of everyone caught up in some bottled lightning trend. I'm a tad worried this is a momentum ruining game, and will mark the start of an all-time embarassing next few games.

Reactions: Vilam and PSLguy

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
I for one am not concerned. The first Leaf goal was puck luck. The second Leaf goal Bob had just gotten his stick back from Gus and only had a second to get set when the shot came through traffic. I don't believe he ever was able to pick up the puck after getting his stick back.

What does give me a bit of concern is the lack of scoring. One goal? That's all they could muster in the game? 7 shots on goal in the first period with over 9 minutes with no shots on goal? Granted, Toronto wasn't much better, but that's why the Panthers should have pressed more.

We'll find out quickly on Friday if the Panthers came to play. Need to get back to the forechecking and physicality that won the first 3 games. Toronto was putting most everything down the side boards, rather than center ice, and the Panthers didn't adjust. I'm sure the coaching staff will be addressing that with the team.

Reactions: Vilam and 16Skippy

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Carolina has been kicking the crap out of NJ. They eventually lost one to the devils and they lost by 4 that game. We lost one game by one goal. As long as we continue playing our game, we should be fine. I honestly don’t expect Toronto to lose all 3 of their home games, however tampa did so it’s possible, but my guess is panthers in 6 but we’ll see how they fare tomorrow

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
sad days no sweep

Cats better bare down now. they gave the figs life.
I hope they win friday, but seems you may need to get it in game 6

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Good news:

Bob is still hot
The Leafs rookie goalie didn't get a shutout
We scored on the PP

Bad news:
We didn't finish this series off
The Leafs have been better than us in 3 games.
A couple of the Leafs stars scored. Hopefully they don't go on a roll
The Leafs have adjusted to our tactics. Can we adjust?

We've still got 3 games to close this out.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
View attachment 706487
This has basically been Barkov every game this postseason. Bottom half of team. Doing absolutely nothing offensively. Except other games he got caved in even worse defensively. Toronto didn’t do much tonight however. But somehow Barkov did less

Well it’s not really debateable. He doesn’t take open ice given to him and immediately looks to pass. It’s just a reality as of this year

Barkov has had one 'good' game this playoffs. The rest of the time he's been performing like a 3C at best imo. The charts back this up as well.

Reactions: vendetta

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Barkov has had one 'good' game this playoffs. The rest of the time he's been performing like a 3C at best imo. The charts back this up as well.

He wasn’t great last night, but Verhaeghe and Duke were horrible with the puck and their playmaking, it was so painful to watch…

I won’t attack him because he’s been a hero for two years… But Swaggy was really terrible last night, coughing up pucks, making bad reads and trying over complicated plays… He was really really bad IMO.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Anyone singling out Barkov tonight needs to also single out the 11 other forwards too

He was terrible yes but they all looked absolutely trash.

Which is at least a sign that they can’t be any worse than they were tonight

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
He wasn’t great last night, but Verhaeghe and Duke were horrible with the puck and their playmaking, it was so painful to watch…

I won’t attack him because he’s been a hero for two years… But Swaggy was really terrible last night, coughing up pucks, making bad reads and trying over complicated plays… He was really really bad IMO.

Yeah, one of Verhaeghe's worst games in the playoffs I've seen.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Anyone singling out Barkov tonight needs to also single out the 11 other forwards too

He was terrible yes but they all looked absolutely trash.

Which is at least a sign that they can’t be any worse than they were tonight

Barkov is supposed to be our franchise centre. The expectations on him should be higher than Eric Staal! He's performed poorly most of these playoffs. The stats back this up. With the exception of one game, he's been one of our worst performing forwards. The chart backs up what I'm seeing as well.

Reactions: StrangeVision

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
If we had swept them, it wouldve been the closest sweep in nhl history. The scores have all been tight. Its not like we dominated them any of those 3 games. Anyone who doesnt think the leafs can win 3 in a row is crazy. I wasnt even comfortable with a 3-0 lead and im definitely not comfortable now. Theyre the better team and we have the series lead. Those two things can easily negate each other and make it anyones series.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Everyone sucked last night. Guys were making extra plays for no reason, not keeping it simple.

Everyone made this mistake, they were all guilty of it. Just too fancy way too many times. If we see the same shit on Friday this team might be screwed. No good habits formed yesterday.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Leafs were definitively the better team game 1 and 2. Like double the expected goals. Bob bailed the team out

Florida was actually better at home (barely). Panthers were definitively better game 3 and only slightly better game 4.

Meaning what? The rest of the games are essentially coin flips. If Bob continues to play the way he is, then that equalizes Toronto playing better a bit. Florida got the favorable flip 3 out of the 4 times, and won it 3 times in a row. Toronto could very well do the same.

No other way to cut it, last night was a blown opportunity. It was a disappointment in the sense that you COULD maybe point to fatigue being a big factor games 1 and 2.

You absolutely cannot point to that for game 4. That was such a letdown game it wasnt even funny. I can take a loss in a hard fought game. I cannot stomach a loss playing with such little to no intensity especially in a closeout game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad