The What to do With Fucale Thread

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
In your opinion what is in the future for Fucale?

To me he is almost the forgotten prospect that the Habs have. He should be the starting goalie for Canada at the World Juniors in less than a months time.

Do you think that he should be traded this year at the trade deadline to get a rental/roster player who can help the Habs playoff run? His value could be pretty high if he has a good WJ tournament.

Do you think that he should be kept and be in the long term plans for the Habs. He will be playing for the Bulldogs next year. I could easily see the future in net like this;

15-16 Price, Tokarski AHL Fucale, Condon or McDonald 50/50 split
16-17 Price, Tokarski AHL Fucale, backup goalie 70/30 split
17-18 Price, Fucale---this would be the year that it gets tricky with two backup ready goalies
18-19 Price, Fucale (bridge contract)
19-20 Price, Fucald (bridge contract)

With this way the Habs could have Fucale on a decent contract until the 2020-21 season. Carey Price will be 33 by this season.

So what are your preferred plans for Fucale?

Analyzer*

Wait until after the World jrs. It's a gamble, but if he looks good deal him at the height of his value.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
If management's opinion (Waite should probably weigh in on this) changed on him and they dont think he'll reach his potential move him before he's officialy a bust.

If management likes the kid hold on to him, the return could be huge in a couple years if he keeps improving and looks like a future #1.

Im not really high on him so I wouldnt mind a trade if it improves our roster, I'm no goalie expert though, I trust my guts a lot more when it comes to "skaters".

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Still many years before we have to make a decision regarding him.

Until, I guess we can always use him in a trade package, but there's really no rush. It's actually nice to have a good goalie prospect in the prospect pool, after years of mediocrity.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
I see no problem having him back up Price in 3 years from now and maybe eventually take his place. Were talking 6-7 years in the future of course.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Still many years before we have to make a decision regarding him.

Until, I guess we can always use him in a trade package, but there's really no rush. It's actually nice to have a good goalie prospect in the prospect pool, after years of mediocrity.

The one thing habs have not had in the past 15 years is lack of depth for its goalies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd keep him, obviously.

I mean, unless he's the deal breaker in getting EDM 1st rounder for David Desharnais. Then he's obviously gone.

As long as he's beardless, it's way too early to ask those kind of questions.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't see how Fucale could ever win the number 1 job in MTL. I don't see how Fucale can prove he is able to replace Price by 2018 and I can see Fucale being able to take the next step playing 18 games a year behind Price.

Most likely Fucale get trade this year for the playoff run or in 2017

15-16 Price, Tokarski AHL Fucale, give him as much as he is able to handle you need to test him since the next season will be critical with Tokarski being RFA

16-17 Price, Tokarski (RFA) AHL Fucale, depending both Fucale and Tokarski performance, trade value and Tokarski contract negociation

17-18 Price, Fucale (RFA) need to figure out if Furcale is able to be a 1 number in MTL or somewhere else or a backup
18-19 Price (UFA), Fucale
19-20 Price, Fucale

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
7-year development phase.

By the time he is ready, Price will be 34-35 and Fucale will be ready, should his development go according to plans.

Habs have a franchise goaltender now and a potential one in a decade. What should the Habs do with him? Let him grow, baby!

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
No need to rush any of it, Fucale is likely 5 years away from even remotely challenging to be number one and that's if all goes well.

Too much can happen with Price or Fucale in that time so thus you let Fucale develop as long as possible

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
7-year development phase.

By the time he is ready, Price will be 34-35 and Fucale will be ready, should his development go according to plans.

Habs have a franchise goaltender now and a potential one in a decade. What should the Habs do with him? Let him grow, baby!

I suspect it won't be as long as 7 years before anything below the NHL will seem like a waste of Fucale's time/development, but I basically agree with the sentiment. It's more likely that we'll have to make a decision about Tokarski before that's a real concern, and if the brass think it's the best/most fair thing to find him (Tokarski) a team where he can start, the hole naturally opens for Fucale to jump into anyway.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Could be very interesting to see how his stock rises in the next 2-3 yrs...

I'd only trade him now (or soon) IF (only IF) the offer is too good to refuse, imo.

p.s.: it might be Tokarski who is used in a package deal within a year and a half or more...to help us get that missing piece(s) for #25. Management might feel that Fucale is ready to backup Price for 15-18games/season in about a year and a half to two years...especially IF a team offers a lot for a Tokarski+__?__ deal.
Or, we might just keep Tokarski for awhile...

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We have very few potentially dispensable players that have value, given Price' s age and performance if moving Fucale in a package helps us win now I'm all for it

Most people point to 5-6 years out before he might get a sniff at starting in Montreal, who's knows what team we'll have then - Pleks, Markov, Emelin are all likely gone and who knows what Pacs does when his contract is up but no doubt he'll be looking for a huge raise

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
In your opinion what is in the future for Fucale?

To me he is almost the forgotten prospect that the Habs have. He should be the starting goalie for Canada at the World Juniors in less than a months time.

Do you think that he should be traded this year at the trade deadline to get a rental/roster player who can help the Habs playoff run? His value could be pretty high if he has a good WJ tournament.

Do you think that he should be kept and be in the long term plans for the Habs. He will be playing for the Bulldogs next year. I could easily see the future in net like this;

15-16 Price, Tokarski AHL Fucale, Condon or McDonald 50/50 split
16-17 Price, Tokarski AHL Fucale, backup goalie 70/30 split
17-18 Price, Fucale---this would be the year that it gets tricky with two backup ready goalies
18-19 Price, Fucale (bridge contract)
19-20 Price, Fucald (bridge contract)

With this way the Habs could have Fucale on a decent contract until the 2020-21 season. Carey Price will be 33 by this season.

So what are your preferred plans for Fucale?

What do you mean....going to do with him? Fucale is 19 year old kid. Lot to be determined yet. He has higher save percentage against elite teams. Likely because he plays better when they open it up, faster level with more skill. I like that...trait of Roy back in his junior days. Price is the other way. Goalies are a wildcard, let Waite work with him for at least full season before passing judgement.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I don't see any need to rush things either. It would actually be a Really Good Thing for us if Fucale developed perfectly, but still spent 4 years in the AHL. It would mean our goaltending tandem of Price/Tokarski was rock solid in the meantime. A lot can happen in 5-6 years, and I wouldn't rush anything. We'll face decisions on Tokarski and Condon long before we ever have to consider what to do with Fucale.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Play 3 full years in the AHL, get a 2 year bridge deal 1 way deal.

Revisit then, a lot can happen change in that time.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Nothing.

Wait and see how he develops, slowly bring him along once he shows he's ready. There's no point rushing him.

Cory Schneider took a long time to make it to the bigs, so did Jimmy Howard. Both have turned out to be top-tier NHL goaltenders. No reason to think we can't take our time with Fucale, especially with Price under contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad