NHL The Whalers return for 2 games this season and many in Hartford are angry

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I feel for the Whaler fans that lost their team. I HATE when teams move, and the only two relocations I ever liked were the Raiders moving back to Oakland where they belong, and the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg. Moving teams SUCKS.

I have to ask: when did the Whalers get so popular? I went to a university less than an hour away from the Hartford Civic Center, and knew a grand total of one Whalers fan. To this day he’s the only Whalers fan I ever knew in person. I know they had their fans, but I never saw anyone wearing Whalers gear anywhere ever. I see more hats and T-shirts now than I ever did in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

Well, this was the biggest crux of the Whalers fanbase.

Which direction did you go?
If you went an hour northeast is Bruins territory. And hour southwest, you are in Rangers/Islander territory.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I grew up and still live a little south of Hartford. Hartford was lucky to have a team for the time they did...second rate city and not a long-term option for a professional club.

Why can't the fans/residents just be happy with the Yard Goats? That's about the city's capability from a support perspective.

Reactions: GarbageGoal

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
I grew up and still live a little south of Hartford. Hartford was lucky to have a team for the time they did...second rate city and not a long-term option for a professional club.

Why can't the fans/residents just be happy with the Yard Goats? That's about the city's capability from a support perspective.

I agree about the whalers. My parents would get lots of free tickets and couldn't give them away.

About the Goats, I can't support a team with that ridiculous name.

Reactions: GarbageGoal

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I feel for the Whaler fans that lost their team. I HATE when teams move, and the only two relocations I ever liked were the Raiders moving back to Oakland where they belong, and the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg. Moving teams SUCKS.

I have to ask: when did the Whalers get so popular? I went to a university less than an hour away from the Hartford Civic Center, and knew a grand total of one Whalers fan. To this day he’s the only Whalers fan I ever knew in person. I know they had their fans, but I never saw anyone wearing Whalers gear anywhere ever. I see more hats and T-shirts now than I ever did in the ‘80s and ‘90s.
If you grew up in or near Hartford you would have known plenty. I went back to visit family a year or two ago and there was a guy with a table outside stop and shop, he was covered in old school memorabilia and had people signing a petition to return the team to Hartford. It’s still very much a thing for old school locals.

Think R Kelly was one of the first to start adopting whaler gear as a fashion statement rather than one of a fans loyalty.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I wonder if they’ll be announced over the PA as the “Hartford Whalers?”

“Hartford Whalers penalty to number...”

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I think the jerseys are cool and the truth is Hartford isn't close to getting an nhl team back so that sucks for their fans but it is what it is

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I live in CT and it was funny that starting during the 2010-2011 season they change from the Wolf Pack to the CT Whale. 3 years later they dropped the Whale and went back tot he Wolf Pack.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Perhaps Bettman wants Carolina moved, and this is a coded message to the interdimensional lizard overlords that secretly run the NHL. It's the only explanation that I can come up with.

Some things should just stay locked up in the archives. It is a legendary logo though.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

This. So much this.

I have friends who are Wolf Pack fans that a number of years ago set up a table down the hall from the Bring Back The Whalers Booster club (who hated the Pack) at the XL Center asking they bring back the Dodgers to Brooklyn. They got more signatures in one night than the Whaler dudes. :laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This. So much this.

I have friends who are Wolf Pack fans that a number of years ago set up a table down the hall from the Bring Back The Whalers Booster club (who hated the Pack) at the XL Center asking they bring back the Dodgers to Brooklyn. They got more signatures in one night than the Whaler dudes. :laugh:

Harold Baldwin told me years ago he should have moved the Whalers to Providence instead of Hartford but Atmea Insurance put up the money.

Connecticut was not a hockey hotbed in the 70's as the state liked basketball. Rhode Island, however, had a hockey culture.

Even this recent news shows how Connecticut thought of the Whalers. News coverage of what Carolina was doing got major coverage on the Hartford based stations but was ignored by the New Haven outlets.

Honestly, the Whalers never should have been part of the WHA/NHL merger but the Houston Aeros owner gave up and Hartford wound up with the Howe family. Coleen Howe then demanded she would take control of the Whalers PR department and Bill Rasmussen was fired. Rasmussen then started the Connecticut Sports Network based in Bristol, CT - so indirectly the Whalers are the reason ESPN exists.

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
Tough to be a fan here... No sustained success and no real stars to speak of. I tried to adopt them moving down here, and there's just so much other going on that you're not going to get interest in a college environment, as a rather poorly run franchise in a (far distant, here) 4th/5th sport.

But hey, tickets are cheap and I only gotta drive half and hour to see the B's come to town. Though the prices for the 'Whalers event' seem, well, higher haha

Reactions: smithformeragent

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I fully support a team going back to Hartford. Move Carolina back to Hartford and Florida to Quebec city. It would make the conference very interesting and nobody will miss the hurricanes or the panthers.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Harold Baldwin told me years ago he should have moved the Whalers to Providence instead of Hartford but Atmea Insurance put up the money.

Connecticut was not a hockey hotbed in the 70's as the state liked basketball. Rhode Island, however, had a hockey culture.

Even this recent news shows how Connecticut thought of the Whalers. News coverage of what Carolina was doing got major coverage on the Hartford based stations but was ignored by the New Haven outlets.

Honestly, the Whalers never should have been part of the WHA/NHL merger but the Houston Aeros owner gave up and Hartford wound up with the Howe family. Coleen Howe then demanded she would take control of the Whalers PR department and Bill Rasmussen was fired. Rasmussen then started the Connecticut Sports Network based in Bristol, CT - so indirectly the Whalers are the reason ESPN exists.

Great read thank you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad