NHL The Whalers return for 2 games this season and many in Hartford are angry

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Born and raised in West Hartford during the Whalers heyday (if you can call it that...) personally I don’t get the outrage. They’re never coming back, it will be fun to see the Whalers jerseys again in a NHL game. This is as close as we’ll ever get to seeing it.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
On a side note, as weird as it sounds, i've always liked that shade of green....which probably says more about me than it does about the Whalers

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
wonder the reaction if the Nats had 2 day Expos jersey day, or Oklahoma wore Seattle Supersonics Jerseys. Still some bitter fans I imagine.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I like everything about it.. but I'm a history nut. It's amazing how many sports 'fans' don't have any sense of where the game came from (for any sport really) or the people from the past that made it great.
I also like the idea of throwback jerseys as alternates. Some alternate jerseys are cool... but at the end of the day it doesn't carry the weight of bringing back an old design (except for those barber pole jerseys the Habs wore on their 100th anniversary... keep those in the past).
In the end, you know it's a small contingent that is making a fuss. Most people either like it or don't care.

Reactions: BMC

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
It's a cash grab using "heritage" as a gimmick.

Only way I'm ok with this is if Karmanos doesn't own them. Cuz screw that guy.

It's like an ex-wife wearing the dress you bought her to celebrate the anniversary of her new marriage.

(not a popular opinion, but if they wanted to honor the old team, they should have never changed their colors).

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
It's a cash grab using "heritage" as a gimmick.

Only way I'm ok with this is if Karmanos doesn't own them. Cuz screw that guy.

It's like an ex-wife wearing the dress you bought her to celebrate the anniversary of her new marriage.

(not a popular opinion, but if they wanted to honor the old team, they should have never changed their colors).
This is such a good analogy, mainly because this somewhat happened to me, and it's accurate.

A girl I dated years ago had been eyeing this really nice dress for a while. I ended up buying it for her on a whim, but we never went anywhere fancy enough for her to wear it while we were still together. About a year later she popped up in a picture at a mutual friends wedding, with her now fiancee wearing that f***ing dress. I was so aggitated about it. We didn't end on good terms whatsoever (much like the Whale and Hartford), so that probably had something to do with it. Looking back on it, it was so petty and stupid, and life is infinitely better.

To keep on topic, when I saw they were using the Whale unis yesterday, my immediate reaction was negative. Now? On the fence. Love the look, but it just doesn't seem right to me.

Reactions: Strafer

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Let her wear it. In your scenario, I'd be celebrating the one year anniversary of no alimony while rocking my wedding tux, and she'd be someone else's problem. Win win.
But for some Whalers fans, they are still in love. haha.

Like I said previously, take Karmanos out of the picture, and I'm ok with this.

That guy sucks.

Reactions: Strafer and Rumpy

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I feel for the Whaler fans that lost their team. I HATE when teams move, and the only two relocations I ever liked were the Raiders moving back to Oakland where they belong, and the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg. Moving teams SUCKS.

I have to ask: when did the Whalers get so popular? I went to a university less than an hour away from the Hartford Civic Center, and knew a grand total of one Whalers fan. To this day he’s the only Whalers fan I ever knew in person. I know they had their fans, but I never saw anyone wearing Whalers gear anywhere ever. I see more hats and T-shirts now than I ever did in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I feel for the Whaler fans that lost their team. I HATE when teams move, and the only two relocations I ever liked were the Raiders moving back to Oakland where they belong, and the Thrashers moving to Winnipeg. Moving teams SUCKS.

I have to ask: when did the Whalers get so popular? I went to a university less than an hour away from the Hartford Civic Center, and knew a grand total of one Whalers fan. To this day he’s the only Whalers fan I ever knew in person. I know they had their fans, but I never saw anyone wearing Whalers gear anywhere ever. I see more hats and T-shirts now than I ever did in the ‘80s and ‘90s.

hipsters + nostalgia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->