Pre-Game Talk: The week of tryptophan, cyber Monday, and the start of a 4 game roady (Jets, Sabers, and B's)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Any successful team does need a Swiss Army knife player like JTC though.
JTC is dollar store, made in China, "Swiss" army knife. You've got plenty of different tools but they all suck and you don't want to use them.

GBXZnOl.png

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
We just need to get some guys back so that everyone slots into their natural spot in the lineup. At this point newhook is a middle 6 winger not a second line center (likely never will be that). He’s gripping the stick a little bit too the kid has a great shot and whiffed on a glorious set up by makar

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
They have GOT to move Newhook to wing and call it a day. It's never, ever going to work at center. Never.

I think Newhook might be ok if he's got NHLers on his line. If that doesn't work then yeah find a 2C before the deadline and get him back to wing.

Lehk-Mack-Rants (has been working very well this season)
Lando-Hook-Nuke
ERod-JTC-Kaut?
Cogs-Helm-LOC

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
We just need to get some guys back so that everyone slots into their natural spot in the lineup. At this point newhook is a middle 6 winger not a second line center (likely never will be that). He’s gripping the stick a little bit too the kid has a great shot and whiffed on a glorious set up by makar
Is he even that currently? He doesn't create anything offensively, his points have been opportunistic, which isn't a complete negative, but are not indicative of his play which has been a complete negative. He gets caved pretty much every game... I'm rooting for the kid but also want to be realistic in his assessing his season performance and if it was me, I'd be looking to move him in a package for someone that has proven something at the NHL level. I know it sounds harsh, and I'd love nothing more than for the kid to succeed but at this point, he shows next to no offensive potential and is a mess defensively.

Mind you, I was very harsh on Mack's performance early on and look how that ended lol... But he at least showed flashes at times.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Newhook might be ok if he's got NHLers on his line. If that doesn't work then yeah find a 2C before the deadline and get him back to wing.

Lando-Hook-Nuke
ERod-JTC-Kaut?
Cogs-Helm-LOC
Naw, I really don’t think it will. Maybe for a few games here and there but they’ll never get the consistency they need at the position. If they have to put two amazing wingers on either side of him to get him to even work, then he shouldn’t be a center in the first place.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Lando-Hook-Nuke
ERod-JTC-Kaut?
Cogs-Helm-LOC
I mean he looked awful next to Nuke and Erod. He looked really solid on Erods wing and I just think thats where he is best. The good thing is that Newhook has better skating and skills than what we went through with Jost so there’s a very useful player there still.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If you don't want to destroy Newhook's confidence and sour the situation... then you staple him to wing. Continuing to force him at center is going to continue to erode his confidence and have him overthinking on the ice.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I mean he looked awful next to Nuke and Erod. He looked really solid on Erods wing and I just think thats where he is best. The good thing is that Newhook has better skating and skills than what we went through with Jost so there’s a very useful player there still.
To Newy's defense ERod looked awful as well on the wing. You can maybe argue it was because Newy was the C but I think it is also because he had to learn the system better and that is why ERod looks better now.

With that said, just to be clear, I also believe Newy should be moved permanently to wing. I was just arguing the possible reasons why the Avs decided to wait to get a 2C and somebody better than ERod.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Lando-Hook-Nuke
ERod-JTC-Kaut?
Cogs-Helm-LOC
You think asking Newhook to drag the corpses of our Captain and ICBM is going to help him look better?
Asking Newhook to not be bad is an unfair request?
Do you think asking someone who is not an NHL center to be the 2C on a line with a rookie making his first NHL appearance and Chucky to go out compete and look great against Perfetti-Scheifele-Wheeler is the same as asking them to be not bad?

The way I see it, the Avs probably had some opportunities to solve the issue over the summer, but the costs weren't worth it while there was still a glimmer of a chance that Newhook surrounded by Landy and Nuke could work. It's been pretty obvious that Newhook really isn't the answer with less than stellar wingers. But, I don't believe it's actually cost us a game before. I wonder if the loses do start to build up if that would be what it finally takes for Bednar to ask Rants to play a game or two at C.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Our PK hasn't been very good the last three games but it felt like it was pretty good for quite a while before those games. Well I was wrong. It wasn't pretty good...it was great. From Oct 22nd to Nov 26th the Avs' PK was 1st in the league. Hopefully the last three games is not an indication the PK is reverting to the first two weeks of the season.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad