The "We have competent management" appreciation thread

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What is crazy is how good the returns look for Winnik, Reimer, Spaling and Polak compared to the returns for Boedker, Staal and our own Phaneuf deal. The scrubs are returning some premium packages.

Kadri43*

Oct 1, 2010
noneofyourbusiness
They have done the impossible

they have made me a happy leafs fan.

I actually feel calm now, when i go to read any news about them.

Leafs nation has been released from Guantanamo Bay detention camp :naughty:

I would say we were released from U.S. black sites and transferred to Guantanamo. We are still being tortured but under a little better conditions.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
for me it depends on the lotto and 1 specific UFA signing to be a PO contender in 2017/18

Fine you got your forward group...even though you're praying for a whole lot to go your way here. But where is the D and the goalie coming from? We need a very solid top 4 D and a legit number 1 goalie still. I don't care how good our forward group is without a legit top 4 D and a true number 1 goalie we aren't making the playoffs.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Fine you got your forward group...even though you're praying for a whole lot to go your way here. But where is the D and the goalie coming from? We need a very solid top 4 D and a legit number 1 goalie still. I don't care how good our forward group is without a legit top 4 D and a true number 1 goalie we aren't making the playoffs.

Didn't Dallas basically do this?

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
I think that there is a middle ground. Rebuilding while trying to make the playoffs without sacrificing the future. That's basically how Chicago did it. They sucked but they tried to win. Nonis tried to win and sucked but he locked up too much cap and gave away too many futures. Shanahan just tried to tank and lose except he waited for one year for some unknown reason.

Buddy you are 100% wrong.

Chicago didn't start trying to win until their core was established.

We are in Stage 1.

We have only begun to draft our core. Once that is complete we will be tying to make the playoffs and continue to build from the draft.

This is not Hard to understand.

Playing devil's advocate is fine when you are with friends.

But in Forums it makes you look clueless.

It's as bad as trolling.

But, when people state "Just playing devil's advocate" and continue with their post is okay.
Then we know when someone isn't Re Tard ed

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

we are talking about

"just contending for a playoff slot, right"?

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015
I would think we are much more likely to become the next Oilers than the next Hawks because the Hawks got Keith in the second round and drafted very well after the 1st round which is not something that we should expect.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/analyzing-value-nhl-draft-picks/

Also the Hawks won the lottery from the 5th spot, which helped a ton.

Buddy, Are you feeling okay???

We are not closer to EDM... Our Marlies are ahead of the Oilers.

Man you need to get some fresh air.
Get some tickets and watch the Marlies.

Are you in any way related to Simmons or Feschuk?

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Didn't Dallas basically do this?

I don't remember them having a scorched earth sale like we are. They drafted Ben in 07. They lost Richards in 10, I believe, might be 11. They traded for Seguin in 13(who already played a few season in the NHL). I don't see the resemblance?

And even they, if I remember correctly, missed a few season before they made a single playoffs and then they missed again.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
we are talking about

"just contending for a playoff slot, right"?

making the playoffs. No point in talking about "contending" for a playoff stop as we are talking about the team continuing to get better. " Contending" for a spot means different things to different people.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
making the playoffs. No point in talking about "contending" for a playoff stop as we are talking about the team continuing to get better. " Contending" for a spot means different things to different people.

ok how about this

so close to contending that we will have a serious debate about buying or selling players.

as in only 4 points out and no games in hand issues

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

and I don't get what you mean by

'no point in talking contending" when that is exactly what I posted

your not moving my goal posts.:shakehead

Jun 27, 2005
Buddy you are 100% wrong.

Chicago didn't start trying to win until their core was established.

We are in Stage 1.

We have only begun to draft our core. Once that is complete we will be tying to make the playoffs and continue to build from the draft.

This is not Hard to understand.

Playing devil's advocate is fine when you are with friends.

But in Forums it makes you look clueless.

It's as bad as trolling.

But, when people state "Just playing devil's advocate" and continue with their post is okay.
Then we know when someone isn't Re Tard ed

I think it's against the rules to accuse someone of trolling when you don't comprehend things. Be careful.

I'll assume that you're 14 and splain things to you:

This is Chicago's history in the critical years.

2000 horrible but picked 9th overall

2001 made the playoffs but lost captain Amonte to UFA because Wirtz is cheap, drafted Babchuk 21, Keith at 54:That’s not tanking it’s just picking really well.

2002 signed Fluery to replace Amonte but Fleury suspended, picked Seabrooke at 14: That’s not tanking.

2003 started well lost Thibault to injury traded Sullivan age 29 and Zamnov who was 33 at the deadline, picked Barker at 3: It looks like they tried to win, lost their goaltender and then decided to dump vets

2004 cancelled

2005 signed Khabibulin and Acouin to win but injuries hit both and Daze retired, picked Toews at 3:That wasn't intentionally losing that was just lucky that the Pens and the Blues didn't pick Toews.

2006 signed Havlat, Smolinski and Handzus, all three got injured Havlet still top scorer, finished 5th last won the lottery and picked Kane at 1: That was definitely not tanking but it sure was lucky.

2007 Wirtz dies, almost made the playoffs and the rest is history.

Summary, Chicago is a dynasty because:
1) They drafted really well even before they started sucking.
2) The had a horrible owner who was cheap but they certainly tried to ice competitive teams.
3) They had very bad luck when it came to injuries so that caused them to suck.
4) They capitalized on other teams bad picks.
5) They won the lottery from 5th to pick Kane.

This team is nothing like the Hawks. They actually tried to fill holes the entire time instead of creating them.

Hope you learned something today.

Jun 27, 2005
Buddy, Are you feeling okay???

We are not closer to EDM... Our Marlies are ahead of the Oilers.

Man you need to get some fresh air.
Get some tickets and watch the Marlies.

Are you in any way related to Simmons or Feschuk?

The Oilers would slaughter the Marlies. Combine the Marlies with the Leafs and we'd still be in last place. That's the problem.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
and I don't get what you mean by

'no point in talking contending" when that is exactly what I posted

your not moving my goal posts.:shakehead

What does contending for a playoff spot mean? Ending the season 2-4 points out with 5 other teams? Being 2-3 points out at TDL? What does it really mean? I'm looking for something tangible?

But anyway, this team as it stands now, looks like they will be a bottom team for the foreseeable future. We have 2-3 top 6 forwards right now(Bozak, Kadri, JVR). We have 2 more on the way in Nylander and Marner...maybe a 3rd in our first round pick this year. We have one top pairing D in Rielly and a top 4 in Gardiner. We don't have a goalie that I'm aware of.

As excited as I am about Nylander and Marner, I don't expect them to really contribute for another 2 years, at least where they are playing against the other teams top fowards. Don't know if we will be able to get that goalie we badly need...and you don't make the playoffs without one. I also don't know where our D is coming from.

Sure we can make some great trades like Dallas...but if we are talking about filling out our team with our drafted players it's going to take a bit of time. Please fill in out number 1 goalie and our top 4 D for next season and for the one after that.

Craig Button

Jul 28, 2015
I think it's against the rules to accuse someone of trolling when you don't comprehend things. Be careful.

I'll assume that you're 14 and splain things to you:

This is Chicago's history in the critical years.

2000 horrible but picked 9th overall

2001 made the playoffs but lost captain Amonte to UFA because Wirtz is cheap, drafted Babchuk 21, Keith at 54:That’s not tanking it’s just picking really well.

2002 signed Fluery to replace Amonte but Fleury suspended, picked Seabrooke at 14: That’s not tanking.

2003 started well lost Thibault to injury traded Sullivan age 29 and Zamnov who was 33 at the deadline, picked Barker at 3: It looks like they tried to win, lost their goaltender and then decided to dump vets

2004 cancelled

2005 signed Khabibulin and Acouin to win but injuries hit both and Daze retired, picked Toews at 3:That wasn't intentionally losing that was just lucky that the Pens and the Blues didn't pick Toews.

2006 signed Havlat, Smolinski and Handzus, all three got injured Havlet still top scorer, finished 5th last won the lottery and picked Kane at 1: That was definitely not tanking but it sure was lucky.

2007 Wirtz dies, almost made the playoffs and the rest is history.

Summary, Chicago is a dynasty because:
1) They drafted really well even before they started sucking.
2) The had a horrible owner who was cheap but they certainly tried to ice competitive teams.
3) They had very bad luck when it came to injuries so that caused them to suck.
4) They capitalized on other teams bad picks.
5) They won the lottery from 5th to pick Kane.

This team is nothing like the Hawks. They actually tried to fill holes the entire time instead of creating them.

Hope you learned something today.

You are right that Chicago had cheap owners, but they still TANKED!!!

2003-2004 Tanked
2004-2005 Tanked
2005-2006 Tanked
2006-2007 Sucked but started to Compete

You might have been fooled, but not I

Signing Havlat was after the Core was drafted Minus KANE.

Which was MY POINT!!!!!

I didn't call you a TROLL, just saying a devil's advocate is WORSE.

Those trades as you said were to prove that CHI was competing is actually proof that they were tanking.

The Leafs are doing better than what CHI management was doing.
Chicago had more LUCK than competent MGMNT.

Chicago Tanked HARD. You can choose not to believe that.
It doesn't matter.

Jun 27, 2005
You are right that Chicago had cheap owners, but they still TANKED!!!

2003-2004 Tanked
2004-2005 Tanked
2005-2006 Tanked
2006-2007 Sucked but started to Compete

You might have been fooled, but not I

Signing Havlat was after the Core was drafted Minus KANE.

Which was MY POINT!!!!!

I didn't call you a TROLL, just saying a devil's advocate is WORSE.

Those trades as you said were to prove that CHI was competing is actually proof that they were tanking.

The Leafs are doing better than what CHI management was doing.
Chicago had more LUCK than competent MGMNT.

Chicago Tanked HARD. You can choose not to believe that.
It doesn't matter.

At least you've been shown the facts, what you do with them is up to you.

So far our management hasn't done anything but hold a fire sale. Anyone can do that. The big difference is that this team now has massive holes that need to be filled but at least a ton of cap space. Will they use that cap to fill holes or are they going to build through the draft? If it's the draft then they better get lucky like the Hawks or we are in for a long losing ride.

We can agree on one thing though and that is that the Hawks were VERY lucky, unfortunately everyone around here seems to think that we are going to be that lucky too.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
This is the only important part in what you just said.

The rest is just a fire sale for picks like anyone who is tanking out.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to manage a hockey team.

It may not take a rocket scientist but it does take a managerial team with cojones to convince ownership that it's in their best interest to build for the future and not try and squeeze revenue in the present. There seems to be a shortage of those types of managerial minds in the world today.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Chicago wasted a ton of money on UFAs trying to make it work before it did work.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
This hot garbage team is playing at 50SCF% throughout the season. Our offense was the problem the entire year. I really think next year is when we start moving up and 2 years from now, we will be in the playoff race the entire season. Which kids are you waiting for that will take 3 years to play for the Leafs? And whoever they are, if they take that long they won't be impact players.

Given how many good, young players go through sophomore slumps I wouldn't count on the Leafs being competitive two years from now even if our rookies show promise next year.

Last edited:

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
It's probably best not to worry about timelines, or about following other teams' models move for move. The only thing I want them to avoid is no bad long term contracts. I'm not saying they shouldn't go after FA but I hope guys like Lou, Dubas and our cap guru spend some sleepless nights prior to making those offers. I assume that some of the board members at Bell and Rogers must look at Stamkos as a golden goose, regardless of how he plays. If he sucks, then having a superstar to bash at least fills airtime.

Bad contracts are what did Burke in, maybe not literally but they took away from the assets he brought in. Bad contracts are more likely to result in drafting for need rather than best player available. They almost always require a pick going out to get rid of them.

Let's just let the growth come organically. Either the prospects will play up to NHL level or they won't. They can always be shipped out for other underperforming prospects or picks. That will be the difference between this group and EDM, they won't hang on to these kids for 6,7 years if it's not working. EDM's GMs have had such tunnel vision about their "core" that the only moves they can make are on the edges, which is why they never seem to improve. I also hope that our prospect's deals won't be as woefully managed as EDM 's as well. Again they had such tunnel vision about their guys being sure thing superstars they went nuts and ruined these kid's perceptions of what their role was.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
So it does appear Lou got good deals for this TDL. Now we just have to wait to see how we draft and develop, the signings we make, and the trades we make.

We really need him to find us a legit number 1 goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad