Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebel111*

Showing once again Closers are very overrated
So glad AA didnt waste money on them

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
how are they over-rated?

i can see how one specific person is over-rated but an entire class of pitcher?

the spot. They get lots of money to come in and not give up a run in the 9th when lots of pitchers do just that in earlier innings.

The "proven closer" is overrated when you can just go out and get a good pen arm for cheaper who can basically do the job just as well.

Look at Osuna, was a rookie from A ball before this year, now he's a closer, who's doing really well. Not because he was a proven closer before the year but because he's a good pitcher, and just about any good pitcher can close. But dumb GM's go out and pay 10 million per year for guys who've proven to be able to do that. It's such a waste.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
how are they over-rated?

i can see how one specific person is over-rated but an entire class of pitcher?

Oh DJ... :)

Reason most say that is because they pitch one inning and most times, unless the reliever is horrendous, you'd still win most times. Relievers are also very streaky year to year typically. We haven't spent much on our bullpen at all yet have a very reliable Pen. Others will spend crazy amounts when you could use that money elsewhere.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Oh and Yanks lost!! Pretty nervous at the end. 1.5 back. Looks like a good night so far. Now take 2/3 from the Angels.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Glad to get a win outta these 4 from a starter not named Corrasco or Salazar. Indians should get an easy 2-2 split but I'm feeling them winning 3 outta 4!!

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
the spot. They get lots of money to come in and not give up a run in the 9th when lots of pitchers do just that in earlier innings.

The "proven closer" is overrated when you can just go out and get a good pen arm for cheaper who can basically do the job just as well.

Look at Osuna, was a rookie from A ball before this year, now he's a closer, who's doing really well. Not because he was a proven closer before the year but because he's a good pitcher, and just about any good pitcher can close. But dumb GM's go out and pay 10 million per year for guys who've proven to be able to do that. It's such a waste.

We got extremely lucky with Osuna.

You remember we started the season with Castro and Cecil as our closers? Both guys tanked terribly and cost us a few games. Cecil is 11/17 in save situations over the past 3 years, despite being a stud reliever. Some guys may not have the disposition for it.

Also, yeah, we're getting great value in Osuna as a closer...but maybe we'd get even greater value out of him if we used him as a starter. We may do so next year, and then what, back to Cecil as closer? I suppose we can use Sanchez as a closer, but teams would pinch-hit with lefties and he's no lock against them. And besides, management may want him to start too.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Or award the guy running from 1st home as well.

I've always wondered how they would decide that, beyond pure judgment.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Well, from what I could tell, runner was halfway to 2nd when ball was thrown by the pitcher, and likely just rounding 2nd when the ball landed on the line.

I wonder if the runner is on 2nd or past when the ball lands they award him home?

Only weird thing there is if that ball kicks up into the stands, then he only gets 3rd, so I kinds figured umps would always be conservative and only give him 3rd instead of scoring him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad