Blue Jays Discussion: The "We could use the Man in White after today" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
his salary. Had we went out and got Pabelbon or Robertson(in the offseason) we wouldn't have had the money left under the payroll to get Price.

Did you miss the word financial, or money in there? It was the entire basis of my point.

You can get cheaper relievers who are as good, but they're cheaper because they don't have, "proven closer", or 100+ saves attached to them. And them use that money elsewhere(Price in this case)

If you're a bottomless money pit also known as the Dodgers, then feel free to go pay for all the closers because you seem to not have any financial restrictions whatsoever. Teams who have budgets and are close to them, would be better advised to go the good pitcher who isn't being paid 8 figures because of the saves he's recorded in the past.

Didn't miss the financial just don't buy the excuse. Rogers has the resources to compete with anyone in baseball. The talk of a internal budget reminds me of MLSE before the cap, a smokescreen for profit taking.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
Agreed, AA is staying and he'll get a nice pay bump.

So just for discussion, say the team isn't able to extend Price or pickup Cueto for the 30-35 M$ ave they'll net. Would it be an ideal alternative to pickup two of: Kazmir, Iwakuma, Beurhle, Gallardo, Leake, Latos, Happ or Estrada for a 2-4 Year deal with a 10-16 M$ Ave amount instead? That would be assuming you pickup Dickey's option too.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Didn't miss the financial just don't buy the excuse. Rogers has the resources to compete with anyone in baseball. The talk of a internal budget reminds me of MLSE before the cap, a smokescreen for profit taking.

Absolute nonsense. Simply because Rogers, a publicly held corporation, has resources compiled from other ventures does not mean said resources are available to be used on any one of its subsidiaries.

Each sub has its own operating budget and financial statement. They're not going to operate the sub at a loss (though I believe they already are). They will establish the budget and assign the resources as they see fit.

Sometimes I think some fans are living in a dream world where opportunity cost and limited resources don't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad