The Wagon Line

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
you need warriors like Gordon and Hendricks and even Joensuu in the line-up to win in the NHL

shot-blocking and toughness aren't overrated IMO if they can play their role

look at the Oilers of the past and look at their best seasons...guys like Moreau, Staios, Jason Smith were "meat and potatoes" guys but did the little things to win

we're finally getting a semblance of that on the 4th line

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
By ice-time they're not a 4th line except for Joensuu. Even strength they're #3 and on the pk they're #1. They're far more valuable than a 4th line and really shouldnt be considered one. They're a checking line, which is often a 3rd line, dont know why every is on with the story of a worthwhile 4th line.

longy85

Oct 24, 2009
By ice-time they're not a 4th line except for Joensuu. Even strength they're #3 and on the pk they're #1. They're far more valuable than a 4th line and really shouldnt be considered one. They're a checking line, which is often a 3rd line, dont know why every is on with the story of a worthwhile 4th line.

Everyone in the media is calling them the 4th line, which is why everyone here is talking about them being the 4th line. But you're right, they should, by hockey convention, be called the 3rd/checking line.

I think we are overhyping the oilers by calling them the 4th line, because it implies lines 2 and 3 are better than them. But really lines 2 and 3 are much less effective. If the oilers can get consistent play with quality offensive production from either the arco or drai line, then I'll feel much better against the big teams of the western conference. Last night was good for the arco line, lets see if they can keep it up.

Loving the wagon line though, a good team needs a solid checking line and so far we have one. Haven't seen late game shot blocking like that since the cup run. Gordon without a stick last night against Subban reminds me of horcoff without a stick, taking a lidstrom slapper in the face in round 1. Oh the good ol times

Crusty Quinn

Oct 13, 2006
Edmonton
Unsure of the stats, but it seems like they start every shift in the d-zone and finish a ton of them with a whistle in the offensive zone. Their play has been a huge part of these past 3 wins.

Their defensive zone starts to offensive zone transition can not be sustainable. But they do remind me of those classic playoff third lines that just grind the game out.

I think the thing is, they just get in the way of the puck and push it forward, while offering good support. It is not always pretty, but when you win the majority of the battles or you pressure/hit guys enough for them to make mistakes, the puck goes to and stays in the right end of the ice.

Thought I'd pull the numbers on their zonestart % for curiosity's sake. What they've been doing is pretty incredible.

You can find the stats here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Gordon has started in the defensive zone 71% of the time.

He has a 47% Corsi and 52% Fenwick to go with that.

That's crazy impressive.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Gordon could go 82-0-0 and I wouldn't even care. He earns every last penny with his defensive play, love this guy, love this line.

Manly-men-at-work.jpg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Gordon has started in the defensive zone 71% of the time.

He has a 47% Corsi and 52% Fenwick to go with that.

That's crazy impressive.

Very impressive but this really underscores why this team needs another veteran NHL centre in the worst way.

If Gordon gets hurt they are screwed.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You're only as strong as your weakest link.... that line doesn't have anyone dragging it down as all 3 are contributing and playing hard... hence why it's been a solid and effective line.

I obviously haven't watched every team's 4th line this season... but I'd have to guess that this Oilers 4th line is one of the best 4th lines in the NHL.

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
The fourth line has been a huge factor in the team's turn around. That line has a MacT stamp on it for sure. All hard hats and lunch pails.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad