The Wagon Line

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thinking about it a couple ways, the Oilers robbed the Preds on the Dubnuyk/Hendricks deal, and this 4th line, the Wagon Line, is a Playoff Level 4th line.

I'm not saying they will get the Oilers there, just that they are good enough as a unit to be on any playoff team.

SchultzSquared*

Agreed... Joensuu is the wheels on the wagon...you need that on a unit with two slower skaters... can not just be a slug race

However that is something we have depth for for the first time also... Pinizzotto is a strong skater... Pitlick is okay plus he has that heavy shot too (PPG AHL player for the first time now)... I think you could even go to Pakarinen on his off wing for a brief time and be okay

I fully expect Joensuu to get hurt though so I think it is important we get a more proven NHLer around to play there... going back to '06 you almost always see top teams with a former star on the fourth line:

CAR- Weight
ANH- Marchant
PIT- Satan
CHI- Madden
BOS- Recchi

It is a strategy to use for sure... BOS is doing it again with Simon Gagne on fourth line

Some possible guys...

Ray Whitney, 42 (home town boy to boot)
Radek Dvorak, 37 (kicked ass for CAR in fourth line role last yr)
Todd Bertuzzi, 39 (still has one more year left could mentor Pitlick/Joensuu)
Dustin Penner, 31 (think he probably goes to EUR instead and not really what we want any way)

Dvorak is the best skater of that group still... Bert is the most NHL relevant though... could play 3rd line in a pinch... Whitney has best skills but he is a LW so Hendricks would need to bump over

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Toughness is OVERRATED. I hate how fans want gritty losers. The Oilers need strong puck protecters who can win board battles which the 4th line does. JJ and GlenX can chip in goals once in a while too. Guys like SMac were useless.

DING DING DING! This is why a team like LA and ST are good.

That or you better have a lot of elusive guys like a Kane to make up for it.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
imo it's the opposite. Gordon and Hendricks have a ton of chemistry and they rarely lose a puck battle. It's their play that has allowed Joensuu to run wild. Take away that support system from Joensuu and he becomes last year's Joensuu

Agreed. Hendricks and Gordon are the stars of the line. Joensuu is ok, but he doesn't bring as much to the table as the other 2 (Hendricks hits and fights, Gordon wins faceoffs, and both block shots and provide stellar defense). He's a big body who sometimes uses his size to protect the puck

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
I love the players that MacT has brought in or is bringing into the organization. Perron Draisaitl Nurse at the top. Hendricks, Joensus, Gordon at the bottom. Slowly but surely we're becoming tougher to play against and have some size or grit.

Yakimov and chase also ont he way. I still say Eakins sucks but MacT is awesome.

SchultzSquared*

David Moss was just re signed by ARZ but he is a guy I would not mind adding to that line from a chemistry standpoint... Gordon and he were a great pair there... and then Gordon and Hendricks are a match... would make sense to try it

Doubt Moss costs much... he has been pushed down the line up in favor of kids like Lessio... could probably flip them a 2016 5th and be done with it (or a nothing prospect like Musil/Davidson)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Couldn't disagree with this more. Joensuu has been playing with others during preseason and did very well. Also played with others last year and did well until injuries set in. And this isn't to put Gordon or Hendricks down, but Joensuu gives them some important things they lack, like size and some skill. He is an excellent component of that line, and it is night and day since he's been placed on it. Before, it was a couple guys working hard with a slug. Now, it's moving the play up ice and driving zone play.

Last year was not like this year. Our defense has played better (not saying much, but still), and more importantly RNH's offseason training has allowed us to play our top line against tougher opposition. That has freed Gordon's line in many respects.

Many things are still the same though. Gordon and Hendricks are still the best players on our team at gaining possession but also amoung the worst at doing something with the puck once they've won possession (other than running down the clock). A healthy Joensuu gives them a player who can play in the offensive zone. Joensuu isn't a a skilled scorer but he's big enough and courageous enough to fight for the toughest territory. Imo, we could put Yakupov there and the line would be just as successful though, just in a different way. Gordon and Hendricks just need a linemate who can do things in the offensive zone. They will win the puck war and get the puck to them.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
David Moss was just re signed by ARZ but he is a guy I would not mind adding to that line from a chemistry standpoint... Gordon and he were a great pair there... and then Gordon and Hendricks are a match... would make sense to try it

Doubt Moss costs much... he has been pushed down the line up in favor of kids like Lessio... could probably flip them a 2016 5th and be done with it (or a nothing prospect like Musil/Davidson)

Joensuu is miles better than Moss.

McDeathbyCheerios*

They're great most of the time, I just wish they would stop icing the puck 3 - 5 times a game.
They ice the puck when they are against the other teams top line and rather ice it and try and get Gordon a faceoff win, which he often does.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I really liked JJ last preseason, and the fact that he grew up an Oiler fan in Finland made me root for him a bit. Too bad he just couldn't keep up the pace last year, injury or not.

He looks beastly at times and if his defensive awareness and positioning improves he'd be a guy I'd want moving up and down the top 9 to be a cannonball and net presence.

I think if he has another level or two he could be a real player. I doubt he could be that much of a late bloomer but I read Franzen was never really any good until 28, albeit he was a serviceable NHLer before then.

I just hope Jesse can use this season to keep his foot in the door and play consistently in any capacity, building his game would be a bonus.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
They ice the puck when they are against the other teams top line and rather ice it and try and get Gordon a faceoff win, which he often does.

True, but a lot of the icings are completely unforced, with them trying to make passes that they shouldn't be trying, including at the end of their shift. Also it handcuffs Eakins as to what he can do in regards to line matching.

I like the line in general and it's nice to see a 4th line that can play more than 4 minutes a game, but icings frustrate the hell out of me.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
An interesting take is if our fourth line is this good (so far, anyways), how good are the top 3 lines?

Along with the 4th line, all the other lines have chipped in when some have faltered (I'm pointing at YOU, 1st line).

So far it looks like we have a fairly deep team in the forward positions.

Back end is looking helluva better to.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
QFT

Hendricks is more a key to this team than i think most folks realize.

Cheers,
gpearson1968

Absolutely. There's a reason why he has the A on his sweater at times.

The Wagon line is not the Oilers fourth line. If you take a look at Even Strength TOI, they are the Oilers THIRD line.

The fourth line is Draisatl - Yakupov - Pouliot.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
An interesting take is if our fourth line is this good (so far, anyways), how good are the top 3 lines?

Along with the 4th line, all the other lines have chipped in when some have faltered (I'm pointing at YOU, 1st line).

So far it looks like we have a fairly deep team in the forward positions.

Back end is looking helluva better to.

Yeah one thing I like about Eakins is that he refuses to label the other 3 lines. A reporter asked him about the 4th line and he said "4th line? Which line is that?"

Ergot

Pinko
Oct 4, 2014
GVA
Will be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes when they inevitably throw Gazdic on that line.

Sure hope they put Gaz in the press box and send Acton down. Would hate to see our second most effective line broken up just to free up a spot for him. Although I do think he has a place on this team.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
Sure hope they put Gaz in the press box and send Acton down. Would hate to see our second most effective line broken up just to free up a spot for him. Although I do think he has a place on this team.
Gordon Hendricks and Joensuu have been great. The moment Gazdic gets on there in any form, they will crator.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Joensuu is a complete beast. In my opinion, he has never looked this good. Not in NY, not last year, never. His speed is incredible too, the guy is like Hall-lite.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
If Gordon was paid $4M/yr I honestly wouldn't care. Best FA signing this team has made in years (and was considered overpaid at the time).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Joensuu is a complete beast. In my opinion, he has never looked this good. Not in NY, not last year, never. His speed is incredible too, the guy is like Hall-lite.

While I think Joensuu looks better than last year, he was still quite good until he got hurt. Hopefully we don't see a repeat in this as right now those 3 guys are such a solid line for us on any given night.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about Joensuu. I thought he had no future with this team. If he can keep it up, then I agree with others, this is a great 4th line, akin to the one that Boston had up until this year (Paille-Campbell-Thornton). I remember there was an injury on their 3rd line in the playoffs, yet they refused to break up that line and shuffled other lines around. Most teams would just promote 4C to 3C, etc. I think this line has become that important.

This does likely spell the end of Gazdic. Maybe we keep him as an extra F, but I'd think they'd prefer to have someone who can better replicate the style of Joensuu or Hendricks (we have no replacement for Gordon). Someone like Pitlick.

longy85

Oct 24, 2009
but I'd think they'd prefer to have someone who can better replicate the style of Joensuu or Hendricks (we have no replacement for Gordon). Someone like Pitlick.

Sounds like the replacement for jesse is going to be pakarainen (sp??), but hopefully jesse stays healthy this year. I was concerned when jesse went back-first in to the bench last night, but he didn't miss a beat afterwards.

Nice to see we still have hendy and gordon locked up for a couple more years. If joensuu keeps this up I wonder what kind of contract he'll ask for. I think he is a pending UFA

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Toughness is not synonymous with goon/enforcer/fighter. MacIntyre was useless because he couldn't play hockey. To win, you need tough hockey players. Watch a Kings or Bruins game and one will see an example of a tough team. If Quick/Rask even so much as get bumped, intentional or not, the offending party will at the very least be getting a face wash and be told to keep their heads up. You can't win with skill stacked on skill. It's not possible in the current state of the league.

its why guys like getzlaf and thronton are so hard to play against. they can finess you until the cows come home but as soon as the game gets rough they are punching you in the face and punishing you every chance they get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad