Blue Jays Discussion: The Vladimir Guerrero Jr. injury overreaction thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I kind of just hope they use this year as a quick retooling year. You have a ton of ammo to use to get a lot of good MLB ready pieces, plus a bunch of high caliber guys in the upper minors who could be ready in the next year or two. It wouldn't be a long rebuild, but rather maximizing assets like the Leafs should have done this year even though they were winning. Considering you most likely have to do that after this year regardless, since they can not (or will not or should not) keep everyone...

Even if the Jays were winning and hitting on all cylinders, is this a team that can seriously compete for a WS, even if they make additions at the TDL? Something that needs to be considered. When you are sitting on a lot of high value assets that are about to expire, you want to make sure you do make a proper run. However that is also a tough spot from a marketing standpoint, because most fans are irrational and could care less about asset management and long term results if it meant winning now, even if there was not enough in the bag for a proper WS run.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Guys, I'm sorry:
We have a decent starting staff, but...
No game breakers.
Relief is questionable at the moment.
Offence is a wasteland, no hope in sight.
Our one true star player has no medical reason for his "dead" arm (I guess just jacking off too much?).
Zero ability to play strategic ball as a team.
Watching induces sleep.

Can't wait for some positives

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Guys, I'm sorry:
We have a decent starting staff, but...
No game breakers.
Relief is questionable at the moment.
Offence is a wasteland, no hope in sight.
Our one true star player has no medical reason for his "dead" arm (I guess just jacking off too much?).
Zero ability to play strategic ball as a team.
Watching induces sleep.

Can't wait for some positives

You don't know a lot about baseball, do you?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You don't know a lot about baseball, do you?

Do you think, if JDs arm is suspect all year, it would make sense to bring up Vlad and let him an JD switch between 3rd and DH?
Is his bat better than Solarte? Glove? I haven’t seen enough, but we all know the potential is there. I know there are $$$$ to be concerned with but they can work that out, if Rogers wants to compete with the Sox and Yanks they have to eat money sometime.
Not every team they face will have a 1 2 punch like they just saw, but I still think they might need another bat.

Reactions: my name is Bob

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There is absolutely zero reason to bring up Vlad until the minor league season is over.

Pretty simple to me so far. Your top two guys reach base 1/16 times, you’re probably not scoring much.

I can see that side of the equation. But, does he give them a better shot at a WC spot, if JD can’t play 3b?

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Is there any rational explanation for why this team always gets off to a crappy start? Even in the playoffs years of 15 and 16 they weren't good in April.

I honestly can't remember the last time this team had a strong start to any season.

I didn't see the numbers myself, but a friend of mine said the April record of the teams managed by Gibbons (not blaming him) is stunningly bad.

I don't understand why they suck out of the gate. Pretty much every year. It defies the law of averages.

Ronald Ocean

Disregard username
Sep 12, 2008
There is zero reason to bring up Vlad and Bo. Frustrates me how people think its a good idea. He's what 19? 20? You let him dominate AA, then AAA, then bring him up. This is baseball... developing prospects is a whole different game compared to other sports.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
eh AAA is usually a waste of time for kids of tbis calibre.

but yes, they should crush AA for half a seaskn before we think about calling them up.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Is there any rational explanation for why this team always gets off to a crappy start? Even in the playoffs years of 15 and 16 they weren't good in April.

I honestly can't remember the last time this team had a strong start to any season.

I didn't see the numbers myself, but a friend of mine said the April record of the teams managed by Gibbons (not blaming him) is stunningly bad.

I don't understand why they suck out of the gate. Pretty much every year. It defies the law of averages.

Despite trying to cut out some of the dead wood from last year this team is still old. Old catcher, first baseman, third baseman, 2x in the outfield, DH, 3/5 starters, 3/7 the relievers. Old is as old does, which is starting slow.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There is zero reason to bring up Vlad and Bo. Frustrates me how people think its a good idea. He's what 19? 20? You let him dominate AA, then AAA, then bring him up. This is baseball... developing prospects is a whole different game compared to other sports.

A Rod and KGJr were up at 18 and 19.

IF JD can’t play 3B is Vlad a better option than Solarte?

Last edited:

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
A Rod and KGJr were up at 18 and 19.

IF JD can’t play 3B is Vlad a better option than Solarte?

Even if he is a better option, that doesn't mean you bring him up. The successful development of Vlad Jr. (and our other prospects) is much more important than trying to marginally improve the team's performance this season.

Just compare to the Leafs. As an example, Nylander could have been promoted from the Marlies sooner and he would have been better than a number of players already on the Leafs. They didn't do that, and in the long run they are much better for it. I don't think it's any different for Vlad, Bichette, etc. Let the players determine when they are ready - don't make short term desperation moves.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Personally, I'm embarrassed for the Dodgers. Such a badly put together team. Their offense is just awful. The first 2 games has just reinforced just how bad that team really is.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There is absolutely zero reason to bring up Vlad until the minor league season is over.

Pretty simple to me so far. Your top two guys reach base 1/16 times, you’re probably not scoring much.
The bringing up Vlad jr stuff needs to stop. The Toronto media is pushing this way too hard for a kid who hasn't even played a competitive game above high-A yet. Let the kid play AA and hope he excels, and if that happens bring him up to AAA around the All-star break. If he continues to dominate (and only if he dominates) consider a September call-up.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Even if he is a better option, that doesn't mean you bring him up. The successful development of Vlad Jr. (and our other prospects) is much more important than trying to marginally improve the team's performance this season.

Just compare to the Leafs. As an example, Nylander could have been promoted from the Marlies sooner and he would have been better than a number of players already on the Leafs. They didn't do that, and in the long run they are much better for it. I don't think it's any different for Vlad, Bichette, etc. Let the players determine when they are ready - don't make short term desperation moves.

What if. Vlad is closer to Conner McDavid? Would you rather him play in the minors while Dom Moore is playing Centre ?

I understand we’d rather not start the clock but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad