The Visitor's Guide to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
The Omni Parker House is on Tremont Street, a seven to ten minute walk to Boston Garden.
You'll pass many a good bar along the way. A popular Bruins hangout is "The Fours" on Canal Street.

Thanks for the info I went to the fours and had some great bar food...
Man Boston is really easy to get around what a walking town. It was great and can't wait to get back and enjoy the area again.

member 96824

The Omni Parker House is on Tremont Street, a seven to ten minute walk to Boston Garden.
You'll pass many a good bar along the way. A popular Bruins hangout is "The Fours" on Canal Street.

mmmmm what I would give for a Larry Bird or Bobby Orr right now.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Great thread guys. Heading to boston in March with my girlfriend. Looking to get floor tickets for the celtics any poster have any advice? Online I can get a corner lodge row B. What side are the benches on?/would the players be in the way?

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Best transportation in Boston

Lifelong B's fan here. Planning a trip in March to see two Bruins games and a Celtics game. We will be there for 6 days, just checking around for the best mode of seeing the entire city? Is it the T'line? also checking out the Trolley option or any other tyoe of "tour".

Some advice from locals would be very appreciatted. Thanks

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
The t will get you everywhere. There are tour trolley things that you can get on/off as you please for a day if you pay for it so if you spend a day touring not a bad option.

If you break up your days and see part of the city a day the t or even a cab would be fine.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
The T will get you anywhere, provided you want to be home by 11pm...

...last thing you want is to step off the blue line and find out the only place you can get to from there is Central Square Lynn

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
The T will get you anywhere, provided you want to be home by 11pm...

...last thing you want is to step off the blue line and find out the only place you can get to from there is Central Square Lynn

I'd take that over getting stuck around Ruggles Station late at night on foot.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
The t will get you everywhere. There are tour trolley things that you can get on/off as you please for a day if you pay for it so if you spend a day touring not a bad option.

If you break up your days and see part of the city a day the t or even a cab would be fine.

The trolley has a promotion for 7 straight days of use for the cost of one. Just not sure if it is tough to catch one or if there are multiple trolleys.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
The trolley has a promotion for 7 straight days of use for the cost of one. Just not sure if it is tough to catch one or if there are multiple trolleys.

There are a few "trolley tours" to choose from if you're looking at it from the touristy piece. Thing with those tours is that you can get off at a stop and spend as much time as you need at certain destinations, then pick up the trolley again. I sent my family on it and they used it over a three day span, could pick and choose which spots they wanted to spend more time on and which they could just pass on by.

If the Garden is your primary destination, just stay downtown and walk. Grab a copy of the MBTA link that was posted here. Most of what you'll want to see is downtown and in the Back Bay/Fenway area anyway, all accessible by the Green line, unless you wanna see the rows of empty warehouses and yuppies in South Boston (Red Line, Broadway/Andrew stops).

Myzie19

Sep 26, 2011
Hey Guys,
On Thursday a couple of my friends and myself are flying into Boston. Coincidentally, the bruins play the jets in Winnipeg on Sunday and I was wondering what the most popular sports bars are in Boston to watch the game?

Cheers,

LoneWolf54

Oct 25, 2010
OMAHA
Hey Guys,
On Thursday a couple of my friends and myself are flying into Boston. Coincidentally, the bruins play the jets in Winnipeg on Sunday and I was wondering what the most popular sports bars are in Boston to watch the game?

Cheers,

Any of the bars or restauraunts listed in the original post. Sports grille. Fours. Sullivans

BigBadBruin

Aug 21, 2002
Saskatoon
Finally it is our turn to ask for some help in this thread as we are planning on heading to Boston from wintry Saskatoon! We are planning on being there for over a week during the Easter Break. families, totally of 7 people and looking for any advice such as what to do, where to stay and get around, best method to buy tickets, etc. So far this thread has been great for ideas, but so much of this is new to me a a first timer that it is over my head. Plan on doing lots of research over the next month.

A couple of questions off the top of my head:

- anything I should be aware of buying tickets from one of the resell sites? Have never used stubhub or ace before.
- any good, affordable hotel suggestions? We are not yet sure about having a car while there(is it necessary??), but were thinking about staying somewhat close to the Garden
- want to do the ducktours and the Fenway tour. I assume both are available in early April
-Was wondering if the B's doing anything special for out of town guests? This is a once in a lifetime trip for us and would like to do something special as a die hard Bruins family.
- Redsox tickets. Since we are there, thinking about trying to take in a game. I realize it is the Yanks that week and opening week, but I was wondering if there are any good ways of getting tickets and how much $$ we could expect to pay.

thanks.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I have to give a :handclap: to Antico Forno on Salem St in the North End, had a simply outstanding meal last Saturday night, definitely will hit that place again soon

schmautzy

Feb 22, 2010
Finally it is our turn to ask for some help in this thread as we are planning on heading to Boston from wintry Saskatoon! We are planning on being there for over a week during the Easter Break. families, totally of 7 people and looking for any advice such as what to do, where to stay and get around, best method to buy tickets, etc. So far this thread has been great for ideas, but so much of this is new to me a a first timer that it is over my head. Plan on doing lots of research over the next month.

A couple of questions off the top of my head:

- anything I should be aware of buying tickets from one of the resell sites? Have never used stubhub or ace before.
- any good, affordable hotel suggestions? We are not yet sure about having a car while there(is it necessary??), but were thinking about staying somewhat close to the Garden
- want to do the ducktours and the Fenway tour. I assume both are available in early April
-Was wondering if the B's doing anything special for out of town guests? This is a once in a lifetime trip for us and would like to do something special as a die hard Bruins family.
- Redsox tickets. Since we are there, thinking about trying to take in a game. I realize it is the Yanks that week and opening week, but I was wondering if there are any good ways of getting tickets and how much $$ we could expect to pay.

thanks.

The Sox are away that first week. Their home opener is the 8th.
You wont need a car.

SAVEBYTHOMAS

Sep 28, 2006
boston
Any concert goers got advice on the House of Blues as a venue?

Awesome venue. It's impressive.

Just don't get tickets in the mezzanine, unless you manage to be leaning right over the railing, it's impossible to see the stage. Other than that no complaints, pricey drinks are expected.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
I've read 1st couple of pages but could not find anything about the punk/metal scene in Boston, anyone would be able to help me out? I'm going to be heading down to Boston March 15-19th (staying for st.pattys) the other days I would love to go check out some local punk rock and or metal shows, anyone know which bars have that sorta thing?

SuchADangerous

Nov 17, 2011
New York City
I've read 1st couple of pages but could not find anything about the punk/metal scene in Boston, anyone would be able to help me out? I'm going to be heading down to Boston March 15-19th (staying for st.pattys) the other days I would love to go check out some local punk rock and or metal shows, anyone know which bars have that sorta thing?

The Boston punk scene rules.

March 16 Dropkick Murphys are playing "The Gang's All Here" in it's entirety at Brighton Music Hall. Dunno what the ticketing situation is yet, last year they did "Do or Die" at the same venue and it was insane. Waited overnight for tickets and it was completely worth it.

As for other shows, I'll check my calendar and let you know.

tragos

Jan 7, 2013

(Unfortunately) Ticketmaster's usually pretty helpful for checking out area shows.

Best overall venues IMO: Paradise, Middle East, Sinclair, TT's, O'Briens, Great Scott, Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad