The Visitor's Guide to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
There probably Is not much turnover at 12:30- 1:00 but I will give it a try. Thanks for the tip on parking in the street. I always thought that was a no no.
What are they charging to park ( near the garden ) in the city these days?

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
There are parking spots on the access road leading to Oak Grove, but they are not free. You have to pay $5.50 (same as if you parked in the parking lot), but its an honor-type system where there is a large receptacle where you put the money in the slot with your parking spot number on it. If they check the receptacle and there is no cash in the box with your number on it, they come and write you a ticket or tow you.

There is also a private parking lot across the small bridge but I do not think its monitored by an attendant (its a monthly pass sort of deal).

You could try Malden Center which is the next stop after Oak Grove, but you may have similar results.

You can also try parking at Wellington. The Wellington lot will probably be full, but there's a huge parking garage connected to the station by skywalk that's $5 to park.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Hey guys, if I was to go to the 99 and get dinner before a game at the 99 in Charlestown... what time should I go? When does the trolley service start?
Just checked this thread so I may be a little late for your trip.

Anyway, for future reference, the 99 has two shuttles that leave from the front door before the game. Someone usually announces it before bus departs. Ride takes about 10 minutes across the No. Washington St. Bridge and lets you off in front of Boston Garden. You pick up the return shuttle across Causeway St. (cor. Canal). It leaves about 15 min and 30 in. after the game ends.

Don't try to park free and hop on the shuttle. They usually ask to see your receipt.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Does the parking garage ever fill up? Thanks

I don't want to say NEVER, but it's extremely rare. it's not just commuter parking, it's also for the shopping/restaurants that are right there too, so there's more turnover there than there would be in a strictly commuter lot mid-day.

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
Planning to go to Boston sometimes in July. I was hoping to catch the Jays-Red Sox game at that time.

I heard Red Sox tickets are tough to get,unlike Jays tickets where you can go to the box office and obtain decent priced 500 level seats. Anyone wanna give me the scoop on Fenway. Thanks

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Planning to go to Boston sometimes in July. I was hoping to catch the Jays-Red Sox game at that time.

I heard Red Sox tickets are tough to get,unlike Jays tickets where you can go to the box office and obtain decent priced 500 level seats. Anyone wanna give me the scoop on Fenway. Thanks

If the team continues to play like crap you may be able to find tix at face value by July :amazed:

The team does release some game day tickets sometimes but as another person said, your best bet is a ticket reselling agency.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I know there are some veteran Boston concertgoers here. What can anyone tell me about The Paradise Club? Coming up Memorial Day weekend to see Garbage and wondering if there are any dos and don'ts for the place.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I know there are some veteran Boston concertgoers here. What can anyone tell me about The Paradise Club? Coming up Memorial Day weekend to see Garbage and wondering if there are any dos and don'ts for the place.

Hands down my favorite venue to see a show. Ever.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.

I happen to work right next to it. They remodeled it in the past 2 years, so its slightly better than what it used to be. Have drinks at the bar next door (T's Pub) but get there early if you want to sit and eat. You can park on street (good luck), but you may have better luck parking at BU on Babcock street across from walter brown arena (its something like $5 or $8 flat rate after 5pm, I think). Its on the Green Line so public transportation is always an option as well.

In general with gen admission club shows, the earlier you get in line, the better.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I happen to work right next to it. They remodeled it in the past 2 years, so its slightly better than what it used to be. Have drinks at the bar next door (T's Pub) but get there early if you want to sit and eat. You can park on street (good luck), but you may have better luck parking at BU on Babcock street across from walter brown arena (its something like $5 or $8 flat rate after 5pm, I think). Its on the Green Line so public transportation is always an option as well.

In general with gen admission club shows, the earlier you get in line, the better.

How early before a show does the line start forming for a concert there? I got my tickets off StubHub and I always get nervous it's one of those multiple printed ticket scams so I want to be among the first in.

Normally I park in Braintree and take the T in when I visit the city, but I'm afraid if the show runs late or I get a chance to gets some post show pics with the band I'll get stuck when service ends. I likely won't park that close, but maybe something within walking distance or just off the Green line. There's Sox game that night, so I really don't want to drive anywhere near Kenmore Square. Might just park in the Boston Common garage and work my way down from there. I know street parking is tough to impossible in the Back Bay.

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
How early before a show does the line start forming for a concert there? I got my tickets off StubHub and I always get nervous it's one of those multiple printed ticket scams so I want to be among the first in.

Normally I park in Braintree and take the T in when I visit the city, but I'm afraid if the show runs late or I get a chance to gets some post show pics with the band I'll get stuck when service ends. I likely won't park that close, but maybe something within walking distance or just off the Green line. There's Sox game that night, so I really don't want to drive anywhere near Kenmore Square. Might just park in the Boston Common garage and work my way down from there. I know street parking is tough to impossible in the Back Bay.

Lines start forming at least an hour and a half to two hours beforehand for some of the larger (more popular/well known) shows.

Their bus will be parked right outside the venue on comm. ave, so who knows.......maybe you will get a chance for pics / autographs beforehand.

I would park at BU, its right there. Google-map walter brown arena at BU on Babcock St, and look at the large lot across from the arena. Tons of parking there usually once BU employees head home starting at 4pm. You dont have to go through Kenmore to get home, either. You can cut through Allston and get on the pike headed south right there. PM me if you want further info.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Lines start forming at least an hour and a half to two hours beforehand for some of the larger (more popular/well known) shows.

Their bus will be parked right outside the venue on comm. ave, so who knows.......maybe you will get a chance for pics / autographs beforehand.

I would park at BU, its right there. Google-map walter brown arena at BU on Babcock St, and look at the large lot across from the arena. Tons of parking there usually once BU employees head home starting at 4pm. You dont have to go through Kenmore to get home, either. You can cut through Allston and get on the pike headed south right there. PM me if you want further info.

Thanks for all your help already.

ShoShaun19

Mar 30, 2012
Ottawa
Hey guys, I am heading to Boston in August (3rd-6th). Can't wait to go, been wanting to go for a long time now. I'll be heading to a Red Sox game, just wondering if there is anything else worth the wild. I'm heading with my family, and my parents are wanting to visit Cheers. How is the aquarium? the Duck tour? I've heard the freedom trail tour is pretty good.
Thanks,

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
Hey guys, I am heading to Boston in August (3rd-6th). Can't wait to go, been wanting to go for a long time now. I'll be heading to a Red Sox game, just wondering if there is anything else worth the wild. I'm heading with my family, and my parents are wanting to visit Cheers. How is the aquarium? the Duck tour? I've heard the freedom trail tour is pretty good.
Thanks,

If you are of age, the Sam Adams and/or Harpoon brewery is something most people visit. Cheers is OK. Aquarium hasn't changed much in the last 20 years or so, except for the addition of the IMAX theatre. The duck tour is very touristy, may be very busy depending on the day. If you read through this thread you should be able to find plenty of things to see and do.

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
Any suggestions for a good but cheap place :D not far from downtown (NorthEnd) and Wrentham for some shopping for the ladies:help:

We are 2 young families with each a kid under 2. Any suggestions and things to do would be great.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Any suggestions for a good but cheap place :D not far from downtown (NorthEnd) and Wrentham for some shopping for the ladies:help:

We are 2 young families with each a kid under 2. Any suggestions and things to do would be great.

Wrentham? Wrentham is a solid 45 minutes to an hour outside of the city.

But that's where you want to be for shopping. There's an outlet mall there that I drool over.

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
Wrentham? Wrentham is a solid 45 minutes to an hour outside of the city.

But that's where you want to be for shopping. There's an outlet mall there that I drool over.

I didn't remember how long it was from downtown but I was expecting 30 minutes. Been too long I haven't been to Wrentham I think it was 5 years ago

Gotta make the ladies happy. We usually go to the ones in Woodbury, but this summer with the little ones we decided Boston as it is a little easier for the kids. New York with the little one last year wasn't easy:laugh:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Wrentham is a solid hour from me and I live right off of 95.

Depending on what kind of shopping try Legacy Place in Dedham or Patriot Place in Foxboro.

Legacy has a movie theater and bowling alley that kids can go to before 6pm when it turns 21+.

Patriot Place also has a theater and you can look right into Gillette:) They also have the Hall of Fame which is really cool even if you don't like football. You can see the Superbowl trophies and try on a ring.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Thanks,
There's 2 Cheers. The original Cheers is down the street from the Statehouse. it is pretty small compared to the one in Faneuil Hall.

The one in Faneuil Hall looks like the bar from the TV show. It is rather pricey so just a heads up.

Zuma Tex Mex or Durgin Park are great alternatives. Durgin Park has authentic New England dinners. Pot roast, turkey, corned beef.
Tex Mex allows you to customize your meal and is really laid back.

With the Freedom Trail the best advice I can give you is to start early and really think about what you want to see especially if it ends up being bad weather.

My personal favorites are USS Constitution (Old Ironsides), Paul Revere's House, Old North Church and Old Statehouse (They read the Declaration of Independence on the balcony).

I'm a history nerd so PM me if you have any other questions:)

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
Wrentham is a solid hour from me and I live right off of 95.

Depending on what kind of shopping try Legacy Place in Dedham or Patriot Place in Foxboro.

Legacy has a movie theater and bowling alley that kids can go to before 6pm when it turns 21+.

Patriot Place also has a theater and you can look right into Gillette:) They also have the Hall of Fame which is really cool even if you don't like football. You can see the Superbowl trophies and try on a ring.

Yes and I'm a huge Pats fan as well. Would really like to get that done. As for the shopping it needs to be a premium outlet so Wrentham it is:help:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think the aquarium is actually pretty good. From what I remember the prices are absurd, but I always got in for a couple bucks with a local library pass. It's a good way to kill an hour or so I think, especially if you're toting around kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad