The Visitor's Guide to Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Good choice for hotel. There's a Legal Seafood at the hotel if you're so inclined. You can say hello to #77 while at Tresca.

Mrs Odaat a massive seafood fan being from the West coast of Canada, me? Born/raised in Ottawa where Red Lobster considered "seafood", I`m a meat and Potato guy

Looking forward to Bourque`s restaurant, appears to be quite nice. Wonder if he spends much time there?

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
Looking forward to my visit to mike pastry tomorrow and then looking for a place to watch the ranger game. Then be sitting in the 4th row for sat Devils game

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Mikes is terribly overrated. Go to Bovas. Or at least Modern.

If anyone from Boston tells you their favorite pastry place in the Notth End is Mikes, that's how you know they aren't from Boston.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

If anyone from Boston tells you their favorite pastry place in the Notth End is Mikes, that's how you know they aren't from Boston.

I don't know. Multiple times, I've done challenges in work where I've brought in cannolis from Mikes, Modern, Maria's and J Pace's and put them out randomly for people to taste test. Despite everyone making fun of people for liking one over the other or claiming they can tell the difference, when challenged in a blind taste test, nobody can tell whose is whose.

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
I don't know. Multiple times, I've done challenges in work where I've brought in cannolis from Mikes, Modern, Maria's and J Pace's and put them out randomly for people to taste test. Despite everyone making fun of people for liking one over the other or claiming they can tell the difference, when challenged in a blind taste test, nobody can tell whose is whose.

I'd love to do this sometime. For the traditional cannoli, I think Maria's is best. Overall, I like Bovas due to the variety.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I'd love to do this sometime. For the traditional cannoli, I think Maria's is best. Overall, I like Bovas due to the variety.

I like bovas because they are open until like 2am. On mikes being overrated, that's overrated. People say that because mikes is the most popular and modern doesn't get enough publicity, but it reality they are both comparable. No big difference to me between the 2 as far as taste goes, (tiramisu though modern is better) mikes is just more famous

Mikes is an iPhone, modern is a droid. Sure there are droid users out there and droid people swear that droid is better, but iPhone is king no matter what. In reality the difference is negligible. It's just whether you want to go against the grain and go to modern or go with the rest of the world and go to mikes.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Hi guys!

This Saturday my friend from NH managed to get Bruins tickets and I'm making the trip out to attend with her. I've never been in the NE area before let alone Boston, so I am wondering if there is a favorite place to grab a nice/quick dinner and a beer or so before going into TD... Also, maybe some parking recommendations.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Hi guys!

This Saturday my friend from NH managed to get Bruins tickets and I'm making the trip out to attend with her. I've never been in the NE area before let alone Boston, so I am wondering if there is a favorite place to grab a nice/quick dinner and a beer or so before going into TD... Also, maybe some parking recommendations.

Park at sullivan square and take the t to north station.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hi guys!

TD Garden is in the middle of the city, surrounded by places to eat. Everything from pizza to bar food to the best Italian in the city in the nearby North End.

The Fours is a popular sports bar, but it fills up quick on game nights.

http://thefours.com/boston/

Across the street from the Garden are a few more. For ultra-casual, Half Time Pizza. Passable pizza by the slice, huge cheap beers, hockey fights on the TVs. Limited seating near game time, you will probably be standing.

There is also The Causeway, on the same street.

http://www.causewayboston.com/Menu/0/Menus.aspx

In reality, toss a rock and you will find a place. If you are looking for more formal dinner, look for something here:

http://www.northendboston.com/eat/restaurants/

then head over to the North End (a few minutes walk) before the game.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Hi guys!

Check Post #791 (re-post of Lone Wolf 54) for a complete rundown of what's available in Boston and around Boston Garden.

masa90

Jul 4, 2014
Coming to Boston in few weeks time.

I really like going to vintage/thrift stores. Any recommendetions? Im especially interested in old hats, sportswears etc.

Also is the outlet mall in Somersville worth the time?

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

Ummmm this Sicilian, who's kids were in every st. Anthony's festival parade their entire childhoods, says otherwise. Mike's canolli are the best, Bovas has the best calzones. No one else besides Mike's makes a florentine cannoli, if you haven't had one it's a must. Can't wait for graduation in May!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Mrs Odaat and I there in July, we have plans on night 1 as were eating at Bourque`s place but on the day of the concert were free, any fans here who want to hang out with Mrs Odaat and I and watch her shop as we talk Bruins, lemme know, we`ll meet up

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007

yes

a million times.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
Coming to Boston in few weeks time.

I really like going to vintage/thrift stores. Any recommendetions? Im especially interested in old hats, sportswears etc.

Also is the outlet mall in Somersville worth the time?

I suspect you mean Somerville?

Make sure you visit Quincy Market, you will find stuff you like. Coming slightly out of Boston, you can check out Rt. 1 in Saugus.... stop at Kellys, man.

masa90

Jul 4, 2014
I suspect you mean Somerville?

Make sure you visit Quincy Market, you will find stuff you like. Coming slightly out of Boston, you can check out Rt. 1 in Saugus.... stop at Kellys, man.

Yeah that is what i meant. Thanks for advice !

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Hi guys, I am preparing for my first visit to TD Garden on Saturday (Excited!). I am going with my 4-year old son so I'd rather know a few things beforehand:

(1) Do I understand correctly that I am not allowed to bring any items in? A backpack is not allowed? An ipad? A bottle of water for the kid? Or it's basically a purse and a phone?
(2) Second, how hot/cold is it inside? Is a spring jacket alright?
(3) Also, how far ahead would you recommend that we arrive? Is 15 minutes before the start of the game alright?

Thanks for help. I have never been to an NHL game before!

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Hi guys, I am preparing for my first visit to TD Garden on Saturday (Excited!). I am going with my 4-year old son so I'd rather know a few things beforehand:

(1) Do I understand correctly that I am not allowed to bring any items in? A backpack is not allowed? An ipad? A bottle of water for the kid? Or it's basically a purse and a phone?
(2) Second, how hot/cold is it inside? Is a spring jacket alright?
(3) Also, how far ahead would you recommend that we arrive? Is 15 minutes before the start of the game alright?

Thanks for help. I have never been to an NHL game before!

1) Yes, your gut is right. Purse that's normal-sized, yes. Phone, yes. Backpack, iPad, water, no, no, no. The security isn't always that snoopy. I'm about 90% sure I could get in with a bottle of DaSani if I wear my big winter coat - and that's what they sell in the Garden, so once I cross the gate, they'd never be able to tell if it's contraband or if it's bought from the Garden.

If you feel you must bring a backpack (or for anyone else reading this in the future who wants to bring a backpack), you can store it at Sullivan's Tap across the way - I think it's about $10.

http://www.tdgarden.com/td-garden-policies/

That said, they do sell bottled water inside. Not cheap, of course, but that's Delaware North for you. The Garden's policy is more lenient than Gillette and the entire NFL (no purse for you!), but less lenient than Fenway, where you can bring knapsacks with sandwiches and sealed bottles of water (but no soda or booze).

You probably could get through with a baggie of Goldfish tucked away in your purse, especially if you have the kid in tow, but I'm not guaranteeing it.

2) I'm built for the cold. My jacket always comes off, even during the warmups when I poke around in the coldest front rows of the loge to take pictures of the players. (Then again, I'm already in two layers: long sleeve shirt and a jersey.) But others would disagree, and I suppose if you're in the second row from the ice for 2.5-3 hours and you're a "naturally cold" person, it could take a toll on you. I imagine a spring jacket would be fine for in the rink most of the time, especially in the balcony. I googled and it says the average temperature is 50-60 in an arena, but the Garden seems warmer than that to me. *shrug* I've definitely been frozen out in the Bruins practice arena in Warrior Arena, but never in the Garden balcony.

3) It depends on what you want to do. Arriving at the gate about 15 minutes before puck drop should be sufficient if you don't want to shop or get food beforehand. Here's the schedule of what happens in the arena for a 1 PM start (for a 7 PM start, add 6 hours):

12:00 - All doors to the arena open. Food should be available inside. Pro Shop open to those with tickets. You can pretty much go in any section of the Loge or Balcony you want. Lots of parents take their kids to the Loge 22/Loge 1 entrance, which is where the Bruins players will emerge to warmup. It can take anywhere from no time to maybe 5 minutes to actually get through security, depending on exactly when you arrive. If you get there right at 12:50 for a 1 PM game, it might take a little longer.

12:30 - Players warmup. If your kiddo is interested and has the temperament to stay awhile, he might be able to get a hi-five from a Bruin if he dangles is hand in the right spot. But there are a lot of people who hang out by the entryway. Even if you don't get a hi-five, it's still kind of mesmerizing to watch the players skate as they warmup. Watch for Pasta and Krug on the opposite side of the ice near sections 14-15 - they often spin each other right before they stretch. And Marchand's always the last one off the ice - he doesn't like the downtime.

12:45 - Warmups end. I'd recommend heading to your seat if you've already watched warmups. Reasonable time to get food, as nothing much is going on in the arena.

1:00 - Scheduled start time. Lights, music, pregame pump video. Anthem.

1:10 - Actual puck drop.

4:00 - Game will almost assuredly be over by then, assuming no long delays due to player injury or bad ice, which don't happen often. Even if it's a shootout, they don't go longer than 3 hours.

And don't feel bad if you don't stay all 3 periods. Two years ago I had a game plan and sat next to an 6-7 year-old kid and his mom, and I don't think they ever stayed all 3 periods...most of the games were 7 PM though, so that would mean they left at about 9 PM, or 1 hour early. I don't know how far they were driving in from.

And so you know, there's a 17 minute break between the each of the three periods. The bathrooms do tend to get packed, and with a kid, you MIGHT be spending the majority of the break in the bathroom. I can usually watch the pee-wees play during the intermission, head to the bathroom, and grab a pretzel, and not miss any action, but I'm not a 4 year-old, and I can hop around quickly enough. There are ~2 minute TV commercial breaks during the first non-icing/non-goal whistle after 14:00, 10:00, and 6:00 of each period - look for the red light by the penalty box. That's another decent time to head to the bathroom.

FYI, unless it's an absolute emergency, wait for a whistle/break in action before getting up...and also wait for a whistle to climb the stairs when you return.

But most of all, have fun! Hopefully your kiddo will love the game, and have great memories of a Bruins win!

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Just checking in. Had a really fun time this weekend and the game was icing on that cake. The T was a lifesaver for getting around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad