The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia (Pt 2)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Flyers' started by letsgoflyers75, Aug 9, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. Ruck Over

Ruck Over Registered User Sponsor

That kinda sounds like the group I had for my rehearsal in the same neighborhood. I went to Nodding Heads (which is now defunct), but I would lead you in the direction of a restaurant/bar.

Speak to a manager, and they should be able to carve space out for you pretty easily or give you a private room, pending on the day and time you are looking. McGillan's Old Ale House has an upstairs that would fit well. Smoking Betty's is a nice spot, have had work-office lunch events there, a retirement party (up stairs). On the more casual-scale, the Field House has both an adjacent side room, and an upstairs area for a party of that size. Given the address of 12th & Market, you're likely at either the Marriott or the Loews, both of which could accommodate. A bit further walk down 12th (Pine) is Mixto, a very fun restaurant with an upstairs that could be group reserved.

For a good meal, some space between your party and everyone else, and very local to 12th & Market, these are decent rec's. Would probably list in my personal desire as McGillan's, Mixto, Smoking Betty's, Field House (location/space, not cuisine). If you are a bit more adventurous, there are plenty of options in Chinatown as well. However, I'm unfamiliar with those venues to recommend.

Danko likes this.
  2. Danko

Danko ...the way she goes

Yep we are at the Loews on market for the block. I've been to Nodding Head before and loved it, wasn't aware it closed. I was looking at pictures of McGillans earlier and it seems like our style. I'll check out the other ones you mentioned.

We are also looking for a bar we can go to directly after the reception that is close to the hotel, i've heard about Milkboy and see they are only a block or two away.

3. Ruck Over

Ruck Over Registered User Sponsor

So we had our reception at the Loews, it is a FANTASTIC venue. Ask now about getting on the roof top for picks in front of the sign. It's hella windy, might be brisk, if you're allowed, have your photographer bring a wide angle lense.

After the reception, we just went down to the hotel bar. Bride and I didn't follow-up anywhere else, maybe other folks did. There are so many bars in the area to go to.

Personal favorites - Bru Craft & Wurst, Strangelove's, Opa (has an outdoor patio next to McGillan's), Milk Boy (can get a tad crowded), Fergie's, Irish Pub. It's really just gonna be hit or miss, you're in the heart of the CC bar district.

Congrats(?) on the upcoming wedding.

Danko likes this.
  4. Danko

Danko ...the way she goes

So we are thinking of doing just like a place where we can get pizza and beers with a group of 20 people for the rehearsal dinner, any recommendations?

5. Hollywood Couturier

Hollywood Couturier Moderator

Santucci’s maybe? The one on North Broad has a bar and it’s a real restaurant.

Danko and PHILOUDELPHIA like this.
  6. PHILOUDELPHIA

PHILOUDELPHIA Registered User

I love the square tomato pies

Danko likes this.