OT: The Visitors' Guide to Philadelphia (Pt. 2), recommendations, etc.; Flyers' books, DVDs

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I'm not into nightlife, but my guess is your best location for that kind of thing would be downtown Bethlehem or on the south side of Bethlehem near Lehigh University. The area in downtown Allentown near the PPL Center is also improving. Bethlehem would also put you a little closer to where you'll be working, which I'm guessing is near the PA 33/PA 248 interchange. A lot of warehouses are being built in that area; perhaps the most notable one already there is the one for Majestic Athletic, the apparel (especially MLB) manufacturer.

Teams-wise, the regional teams in the area include the AHL Lehigh Valley Phantoms (downtown Allentown), MiLB AAA Lehigh Valley IronPigs (east side of Allentown a little south of the airport), Lehigh Mountain Hawks (Division I basketball and FCS/DI-AA football; the sports facilities are located south of South Mountain near I-78 not far from Hellertown), and Lafayette Leopards (Division I basketball and FCS/DI-AA football; it is located on College Hill on the north side of Easton). There are also a few other lower level college and pro teams. Depending where you live, both Philadelphia and north Jersey will be within 1 1/2 hours and New York will be within 2 hours.

Note Nike just got the contract for MLB in 2020 just a FYI

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Any bars in the Rittenhouse Square area that would play an out-of-town game (e.g. Rangers Devils tonight)? Thanks!

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
is the train system relatively easy to use and how close are any stations to any of the famed cheesesteak spots?

So... the broad street line is pretty damn simple but it doesn’t really run anywhere near any of the touristy steak places. You’ll be better off taking Uber or something if you wanna hit up those spots.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
So... the broad street line is pretty damn simple but it doesn’t really run anywhere near any of the touristy steak places. You’ll be better off taking Uber or something if you wanna hit up those spots.
not staying anywhere, just popping down for an afternoon game and was trying to get to Tony Luke's/Pat's/Geno's afterwards

Be careful with Septa, they on a Sunday schedule and don't run often.

As HC said, Uber your best bet. I prefer Tony Lukes of the 3 you mentioned.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
not staying anywhere, just popping down for an afternoon game and was trying to get to Tony Luke's/Pat's/Geno's afterwards

Pats and Genos is about a 10-15 minute drive from the stadium.

Tony Luke’s is about the same distance but in a different area.

This is all pending traffic - if you’re going right after the game you’ll obviously hit plenty.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Be careful with Septa, they on a Sunday schedule and don't run often.

As HC said, Uber your best bet. I prefer Tony Lukes of the 3 you mentioned.

what if I don't use Uber? what's the deal with taxi service?

it also seems like Pat's and Geno's are a short walk from a train station? I don't mind waiting 15-20 minutes for a train, if I really have to, as I deal with the MTA often.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD

it also seems like Pat's and Geno's are a short walk from a train station? I don't mind waiting 15-20 minutes for a train, if I really have to, as I deal with the MTA often.

Ellsworth-Federal is the closest subway station on the Broad Street Line to both Geno's and Pat's. Just head east on Federal from Broad (the equivalent of 14th Street) to 9th Street and both are just south of 9th and Federal.

Tony Luke's is over near Front and Oregon, and is not within walking distance of a subway station. You could probably take a SEPTA bus that runs on Oregon Avenue (not sure if there are such buses, but my guess is there are) from the Oregon Avenue BSL subway station over to Tony Luke's.

Steve's Prince of Steaks is near 16th and Chestnut in Center City, and is easily accessible from the Market-Frankford Line (15th Street), Broad Street Line (both City Hall and Walnut-Locust), the subway-surface trolleys (15th Street), and regional rail (Suburban Station). PATCO (15th/16th Street station) is also relatively close.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Ellsworth-Federal is the closest subway station on the Broad Street Line to both Geno's and Pat's. Just head east on Federal from Broad (the equivalent of 14th Street) to 9th Street and both are just south of 9th and Federal.

Tony Luke's is over near Front and Oregon, and is not within walking distance of a subway station. You could probably take a SEPTA bus that runs on Oregon Avenue (not sure if there are such buses, but my guess is there are) from the Oregon Avenue BSL subway station over to Tony Luke's.

Steve's Prince of Steaks is near 16th and Chestnut in Center City, and is easily accessible from the Market-Frankford Line (15th Street), Broad Street Line (both City Hall and Walnut-Locust), the subway-surface trolleys (15th Street), and regional rail (Suburban Station). PATCO (15th/16th Street station) is also relatively close.

ah man, bless your heart. seriously. this is super valuable information, thank you so much. i'll study the hell out of the area so i get the cross street correct.

thanks again man. a ton. :DD

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

I'm glad your willing to use Septa. Most visitors don't and are afraid to try. Especially dealing with the hood.

To follow up using the Subway at Oregon.

Route G will take you to Front and Oregon where Tony Lukes is. Septa also sells an independence pass where you buy and can ride all day.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
To follow up using the Subway at Oregon.

Route G will take you to Front and Oregon where Tony Lukes is. Septa also sells an independence pass where you buy and can ride all day.

Yeah, SEPTA actually sells two types of single day/multiple ride passes:

*Independence Pass ($13): good for up to 10 trips in a single day on any SEPTA service, including regional (commuter) rail

*Convenience Pass ($9): good for up to 8 trips in a single day on SEPTA subways (Market-Frankford Line, or MFL, and Broad Street Line, or BSL), trolleys (both subway-surface and suburban), Norristown High-Speed Line, and buses; it is NOT valid on regional rail

If you are not using regional rail (i.e. the Trenton Line, the Lansdale/Doylestown Line, etc.) and will make at least 5 trips (or don't want to deal with the hassle of continually adding money to your SEPTA Key Card), you'll want to buy the Convenience Pass. If you ARE using SEPTA regional rail, you'll want to buy the Independence Pass.

Here's a quick breakdown of what you'll probably want to buy based on what service you use to travel between New York and Philadelphia:

*Amtrak (to 30th Street Station): buy Convenience Pass (MFL station at 30th and Market)

*Greyhound (to Philadelphia Greyhound Terminal): buy Convenience Pass (MFL station at 11th and Market)

*BoltBus (to near 30th Street Station): buy Convenience Pass (MFL station at 30th and Market)

*Megabus (to near 30th Street Station): buy Convenience Pass (MFL station at 30th and Market)

*Chinatown bus (to near 11th and Filbert): buy Convenience Pass (MFL station at 11th and Market)

*NJ Transit NE Corridor Line (to Trenton)/SEPTA Trenton Line (to Suburban Station): buy Independence Pass (SEPTA has a $5 surcharge for their regional rail lines that go into New Jersey, so the pass will cost $18)

*NJ Transit NE Corridor Line (to Trenton)/NJ Transit River Line (to Camden)/PATCO^ (to 15th/16th Street along Locust Street): buy Convenience Pass (BSL station between Walnut and Locust Streets on Broad Street)

*Flying to PHL Airport: buy Independence Pass (SEPTA Airport Line connects PHL Airport and Center City)

One more thing - you'll probably want to get a SEPTA Key Card. It is similar to the MTA MetroCard but more comprehensive. You can buy a pass and put it on the card, and once the pass expires can use the same Key Card to load value/buy individual fares, or vice-versa. (Unlike the MTA, a SEPTA Key Card can also be used on SEPTA regional rail, which is the equivalent of the LIRR and Metro-North in SEPTA's system.) Just hold onto the Key Card so you can use it during future trips to Philadelphia.

^PATCO is the Philadelphia equivalent to PATH in the New York area. Unlike the MTA MetroCard with PATH, you can't use the SEPTA Key Card on PATCO.

Last edited:

philly_28

Valar Morghulis
Apr 9, 2007
Not sure whether my question belongs here or in the "All Jersey Talk", but we'll see...

So, I have this blank Phillies throwback jersey (powder blue) and I'd like to get it customized with "Harper #3".

Sending it somewhere sounds like a bit of a hassle (I'm from Europe), but I might come to Philly sometime in the fall. Therefore I was wondering if there's a place in the city, where I could drop it off, they do the customization and I could pick it up again the next day?

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Not sure whether my question belongs here or in the "All Jersey Talk", but we'll see...

So, I have this blank Phillies throwback jersey (powder blue) and I'd like to get it customized with "Harper #3".

Sending it somewhere sounds like a bit of a hassle (I'm from Europe), but I might come to Philly sometime in the fall. Therefore I was wondering if there's a place in the city, where I could drop it off, they do the customization and I could pick it up again the next day?

I'll have to double check with Phillies, but I believe you can bring the jersey to the team store inside the stadium and they will put the name on it.

I did it at the Flyers about 12 yrs ago, brought a black jersey blank in and had my name put on it.

Reactions: philly_28

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
This is my first March Madness living in Philly. Have the day off tomorrow and wanted to head into Center City. Anyone recommend a good bar for the games (starting at noon)? Looking for a good atmosphere with lots of TV's. Food and drink specials are not a must by any means. Just looking for a good suggestion.

philly_28

Valar Morghulis
Apr 9, 2007
I'll have to double check with Phillies, but I believe you can bring the jersey to the team store inside the stadium and they will put the name on it.

I did it at the Flyers about 12 yrs ago, brought a black jersey blank in and had my name put on it.

Ok, cool, thanks for the info. Sounds simple enough. :)

I was worried that they wouldn't do it there because they'd prefer to sell their own jerseys.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is my first March Madness living in Philly. Have the day off tomorrow and wanted to head into Center City. Anyone recommend a good bar for the games (starting at noon)? Looking for a good atmosphere with lots of TV's. Food and drink specials are not a must by any means. Just looking for a good suggestion.

Until others offer first-hand experiences, this is a list compiled in the opening post:

Sports Bars

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Miami's post covers most of the spots that will be chock full of TV's. If youre comfortable/ok with heading in to University City, Landmark also has a bunch of TVs. Ive watched some games there in the past.

If youre looking to stay center city and dont care about food/beer quality (ie - ok with miller lite and average food) - Field House may be your best bet.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Miami's post covers most of the spots that will be chock full of TV's. If youre comfortable/ok with heading in to University City, Landmark also has a bunch of TVs. Ive watched some games there in the past.

If youre looking to stay center city and dont care about food/beer quality (ie - ok with miller lite and average food) - Field House may be your best bet.

I can vouch for the field house, been a while since I been there but it's on filbert between 11th and 12th st.

What i like about that place, your next door from the Reading Terminal market.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD

I'm pretty sure you can have customization done at the Philly Team Store, located between 17th and 18th Streets on Chestnut in Center City.

Philly Team Store

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Good sports bars

O'Neals - 611 S 3rd St, Philadelphia, PA 19147
Tir Na Nog - 1600 Arch St, Philadelphia, PA 19103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad