OT: The Visitors' Guide to Philadelphia (Pt. 2), recommendations, etc.; Flyers' books, DVDs

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
Hi guys, I'm visiting down from Boston. I don't drink but would like a friendly place to catch the game this week. I'm staying all the way out in conshy, any tips?

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Anyone living in Philly that can give me the most iconic city scape or building something that screams Philly. Bouncing an idea around in my head but would like input from those who live and sleep in the city. Cheers.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Anyone living in Philly that can give me the most iconic city scape or building something that screams Philly. Bouncing an idea around in my head but would like input from those who live and sleep in the city. Cheers.

Are you looking for something historic (Liberty Bell for instance), something akin to the LOVE landmark or Rocky Statue, or something involving the city skyline?

Others can offer opinions, too.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Hi guys, I'm visiting down from Boston. I don't drink but would like a friendly place to catch the game this week. I'm staying all the way out in conshy, any tips?

Maybe others have first-hand experiences but as a starting point there is a sports bar inside the Marriott Hotel. Restaurant & Bar in Conshohocken, PA | Legends Bar & Grill

Another is a pizza/sports bar: Gallery - Our Building, The Bar, Dining Room, And The Kitchen | Conshohocken, PA | Franzone's Pizzeria

These suggestions are based only on an internet search.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

The Great American Pub on Fayettee which is the Main Street in Conshy. You won't be dissapointed.

I'm not sure which side of the river you are staying on.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ

Are you looking for something historic (Liberty Bell for instance), something akin to the LOVE landmark or Rocky Statue, or something involving the city skyline?

Others can offer opinions, too.

If you get to 5th and Market ( independance Mall ) area. You can get the BIG BUS double decker tour bus. It's about 27 bucks for an all day pass.

You can get off and on all Day and take photos, theres a guy with a mic that explains what happened at each stop and why that corner is important. It's the best way to get around town and get as many photos. They also have a philly by nite tour so you can get photos of the city lit up at night.

The most important building of all them that screams philly is Liberty One building.

Reactions: dingbathero

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
if you find yourself in the suburbs... in particular Ambler. Do yourself a favour and check out Costa's deli. The greatest cheesesteak experience I've ever found bar none.

came here to post purely because I am jonz'n for a cheesesteak but there is nothing here remotely like it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Just an update to the original post - the Dark Horse no longer exists,sort of. Its Cavanaugh's Head House. Same building, just under the Cav's ownership group now. Still the same general feel and vibe, but the name has changed. One of the better soccer/football bars in the city. My friends and I meet up there every year for boxing day, and even at 7:30 it's got some people in it already for the early games. Paul, the bartender upstairs (normally) is an awesome dude - and no, I'm not Paul.

For the Craft beer crowd - some of the better bars in the ctty, in my experience, have been (in no particular order):

Monk's Cafe (obviously) - Consistently voted one of the best bars in America - 16th between Locust and Spruce, if memory serves
Varga: 10th and Pine, just south of Patco stop on 10th and locust - great taps, good happy hour.
Strangelove's: 11th and Locust (i think?). This place used to change names and owners every 6 months, but has always had good local selections.
Bainbridge Barrel House: 6th and Bainbridge(surprise!)
Institute: 12th and Green
Prohibition: 13th and just south of Spring Garden
Misconduct: 18th and JFK is a good spot for soccer as well, but its a Gooner bar.
Bishop's Collar: 24th and Fairmount, good selectiona nd not far from the Museum, if you need a good beverage after
Good Dog: 15th and Locust - bit of a hipster haven (or was, been a while), but good beer and great burgers.
Jose Pistola's 15th between Spruce and Locust: Good ameri-mexican food, good taps. Liverpool supporter bar.
Bru: Chestnut between 13th and Broad: Food used to be better, think they changed chefs. Great selection of German beer and american craft though. Decent Happy hour, as well.

I'm probably forgetting few, but those are the ones i used to go to pretty frequently while i was working downtown.
Cant help but feel a bit homesick as i make this list. Cant wait to move back.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I'm going to be in Philly around 9pm staying around rittenhouse square.

Where is the best place to go for a beerwith my 60 year old captain and the best place for me to talk to 25 to 40 year old single woman after he heads back to the hotel. Thanks fellas

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Anyone have recommendations on Shuttle Bus companies or transportation companies? We are getting married in October and looking for transportation from the hotel to the venue for our guests.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Anyone have recommendations on Shuttle Bus companies or transportation companies? We are getting married in October and looking for transportation from the hotel to the venue for our guests.

king limo , they right off turnpike by police station in KOP.

They also have a lot of busses

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
I was actually thinking about messaging you because i know you drive...thanks for the recommendation

yeah but I'm driving tractor trailer , I use to work for king in 2010.

Do you need a bachelor party, I could take you to daydreams where
You would be handcuffed to a pole on stage while a dozen naked women dance on you in public. I know because it happened to me.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Any recommendations for a place for a rehearsal dinner around Market Street? Hotel is at 1200 Market.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Any recommendations for a place for a rehearsal dinner around Market Street? Hotel is at 1200 Market.

How big is the party, how far from place of practice ceremony, type of food desired, price?

A few more details and sure, there are bunches of places in Center City.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
How big is the party, how far from place of practice ceremony, type of food desired, price?

A few more details and sure, there are bunches of places in Center City.
Parents want to pay for it and they are both retired, we arent the type that would opt for an upscale place...would be about 20 people. No preference on Food.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad