The Visiting Fan's Guide to Philadelphia (Pt 2)

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Flyers' started by letsgoflyers75, Aug 9, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. Hollywood Couturier

Hollywood Couturier Moderator

Philadelphia just gets a way over the top persona of every single one of us being goons. Yeah, we've done stupid crap but every single other fan base has done stupid crap because there's a ton of stupid people on this earth.

Blindsummit likes this.
  2. Blindsummit

Blindsummit Registered User

On extended holiday

Thanks Flyotes, those all sound great, especially Cheerleaders <g>. I'll be Ubering, but thanks for the tip about Oregon. It's gonna be a great day! Can't wait. Go Flyers!

3. Flyotes

Flyotes Sorry Hinkie. Sponsor

Ivy League
    If anyone engages you just don't engage back. Last two games I went to fights broke out in the seats between fans. So, people can get out of sorts. One guy slugged a woman as well. You'll very very likely to be fine though. Hockey fans are pretty knowing and they don't care about the Stars here in Philly. If someone gets really annoying, say "Cowboys suck!"

Blindsummit likes this.
  4. Blindsummit

On extended holiday
    Totally agree mate. I've never had a bad experience in Philly but have had plenty in other cities. Stupid people are everywhere. Hell I once had to "subdue" an idiot Stars "fan" who was attacking an usher in our own Arena.

I'm glad I'm finally going to get to a Flyers game though this time. Been a long time coming!

5. Blindsummit

On extended holiday
    Oh, I have no problem with that! The Cowboys do suck! I live in Dallas but am Scottish/Canadian so not into football much at all. So I'm happy to slag off the Cowboys!

6. Flyotes

Flyotes Sorry Hinkie. Sponsor

Ivy League
    Also, if you get a cheesesteak and it is meh, sometimes that happens. Get another one a different way. Don't give up on cheesesteaks. Eventually you'll get one that will redefine your life. A food item akin to conquering Mount Everest. With cheese though.

I really enjoy a pizzasteak.

Blindsummit likes this.
  7. Blindsummit

On extended holiday
    It's the journey to find the life defining cheesesteak that matters, all the cheesesteaks you have to have on the way to that moment. And that journey will last all your life and perhaps beyond........

Hollywood Couturier and Flyotes like this.
  8. MiamiScreamingEagles

MiamiScreamingEagles A Fistful of Dollars

I am not sure how many here have opinions on clubs. There are some offerings in the first post of this thread but those could be an individual taste more so than the pick of many.

As far as other events in town, check VisitPhilly.com and a list of activities will be found.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  9. Blindsummit

On extended holiday
    OK im in the Broad Street Bullies Bar in my Stars shirt and no one has beat me up yet <g>.
    Come up and say hi if y'all see me!

10. Big Papi

Big Papi Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Home Page:
    heading to the eagles game this weekend. Any tips of tailgating? We're just playing on taking public transport down and setting up shop (without a car) in a parking lot. can anyone recomment a particular lot? cheers

11. Hollywood Couturier

Can't say I have ever tailgated without a car so i'm not sure how well you'll be able to maneuver it since the lots you have to pay to get in but i'm sure you can make it work.

You're best off setting up shop in one of the lots that are further away from the stadium (closer you get to the stadium the more crowded the lots are and tougher it will be).

Something like U, V, X, W....

[​IMG]

12. Big Papi

Home Page:
    Thanks! We're flying down from Canada for the game and are staying close to the stadium. We did it last year in Pittsburgh, just showed up to the tailgate with a cooler and just stood in the middle of where the cars drive in to the parking spots.

One more question, is there any spots to get cheap eagles (and other philly team gear)?

13. Hollywood Couturier

Define cheap? Haha.

14. Young Sandwich

Young Sandwich Trout & Hockey Sponsor

Sometimes you can get lucky at a store like Marshall's or TJ Maxx with Philly team gear. It's mostly gear from a player not on the team anymore, but sometimes you can get lucky and find generic stuff with no player names on it. Those stores are a crapshoot though so you need to rifle through all the garbage to find the good stuff.

There is a Marshall's in Snyder Plaza in south Philly that's not terribly far from the stadium. Might be worth a look.

15. Big Papi

Home Page:
    fair enough. We're not looking to get top of the line type stuff, in pittsburgh last year we came across a couple of shops that had loads of stuff for really cheap compared to the pro shop (a mug for $5-8, T-Shirts for $10-15, etc) . One of the guys on the trip is an eagles fan and has never been and was hoping there was a similar type shop he could stretch his canadian dollars on lol.

appreciate the tips cheers!

16. flyersfromquebec

flyersfromquebec Registered User

Hey guys, Im always reading but almost never comment, still I enjoy reading GDT, Trade talk, roster talk...Im one big fan of the flyers in montreal and guess what ? My friends have organized a trip to philly this week end for my bachelor party, including the game on saturday. Im so excited. Do you have suggestion of things you really have to do coming to philly ?

17. Big Papi

Home Page:
    We're there this weekend too from Canada, and I've looked over some things. There's a Football game Sunday and a Basketball game Friday night. We're planning on hitting up the Eastern State Pen for the House of Horrors one of the nights there too. have fun

18. HereNow16

HereNow16 Registered User

Not a Philly native, but when I went there back in February, I had a few things on my to-do-list: eat a cheesesteak, see the Rocky steps, Eastern State Penitentiary, and the historic sites. But that's all really touristy stuff, so I don't know if you guys are down for that.

One thing I can really recommend is taking a tour at Yard's Brewery. It's for free, you get to drink plenty of samples, and get to know stuff about how they brew their beer. IIRC, it's only on certain weekdays, though. But their bar-room in the brewery is open every day, the beer was good and there was a food cart parked outside.

Have fun, enjoy the game, and good luck on that marriage thing that's coming up!

19. flyersfromquebec

flyersfromquebec Registered User

Thanks Big papi and herenow16, really appreciate

20. Danko

Danko ...the way she goes

I recommend people check out Urban Axes if your looking for something fun to do. byob axe throwing place. We walked to Barcade which is a video game bar not to far of a walk but may want an uber.

21. MiamiScreamingEagles

Someone else can fill you in on merchandise costs. That isn't my area of knowledge.

As far as publications, this list is also in the first post of this thread. Some of the books are dated while others are personal retrospectives.

"Full Spectrum" was recently updated and is a must read.

Also, the newest publication is "If These Walls Could Talk" by Lou Nolan and Sam Carchidi. Nolan is the well-liked and well-respected PA announcer and deserves support for his longevity with the franchise.

This is not a complete list.

BOOKS:
    1. "Full Spectrum: The Complete History of the Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Club" by Jay Greenberg.
      • Updated in 2016: "The Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The Story of the Iconic Hockey Club and its Top 50 Heroes, Wins & Events" by Jay Greenberg
    2. "Score!: My Twenty-Five Years with the Broad Street Bullies" by Gene Hart
    3. "Bobby Clarke and the Ferocious Flyers" by Stan Fischler
    4. "Orange, Black and Blue" by Chuck Gormley
    5. "Walking Together Forever: The Broad Street Bullies, Then and Now" by Jim Jackson
    6. "Pelle Lindbergh: Behind the White Mask" by Bill Meltzer & Thomas Tynander
    7. "The Broad Street Bullies: The Incredible Story of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Jack Chevalier (though this is rare and expensive)
    8. "Philadelphia Flyers Encyclopedia" by David Sherman
    9. "The Greatest Players and Moments of the Philadelphia Flyers" by Stan Fischler
    10. "The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Philadelphia Flyers: Heart-pounding, Jaw-dropping, and Gut-wrenching Moments from Philadelphia Flyers History" by Adam Kimelman
    11. "100 Things Flyers Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die" by Adam Kimelman.
    12. "Jonesy: Put Your Head Down & Skate" by Keith Jones
    13. "Journey Through Risk and Fear" by (Bernie) Parent, Michele M. Paiva & Dean Smith.
    14. "Philadelphia Flyers: Superman of the Ice" by Stan Fischler
    15. "Open Net" by George Plimpton. A must for any hockey fan. The book is mostly about the author's tryout with the Bruins but it includes the notorious Flyers-Bruins' late 1970s preseason game brawl at the Spectrum and that alone is worth the read
    16. "Fred Shero: A Kaleidoscopic View of the Philadelphia Flyers' Coach" by Rhoda Rappeport
    17. "Shero: The Man Behind the System" by Fred Shero and Vijay S. Kothare
    18. "Hockey For The Coach, The Player, And The Fan" by Fred Shero and Andre Beaulieu
    19. "The Riverton Rifle: My Story -- Straight Shooting on Hockey and on Life" by Reggie Leach
    20. "Keith the Thief" by Blake Allen
    21. "Sports Illustrated Philadelphia Flyers at 50: The All-Time Team - The Bitter Rivalries - The Back-to-Back Cups" by the editors of Sports Illustrated
    22. "Philadelphia Flyers, Pennsylvania (Images of Sports Series)" by Russ Cohen, Mike del Tufo, Joe del Tufo and Bruce "Scoop" Cooper
    23. "If These Walls Could Talk" by Lou Nolan and Sam Carchidi

DVDs:
    • Philadelphia Flyers 10 Greatest Games DVD Set
    • History of the Philadelphia Flyers

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    92TeamCanada97 likes this.
  22. MiamiScreamingEagles

I added them to the front page.

23. Big Papi

Home Page:
    Just wanted to say thanks for the tips and like from the fine folks here. Had a stellar time in Philly this past weekend. I thought I'd pass on my tips.

We stayed right off South St close to 2nd, and there were lots of pubs, bars, clubs around. As well as restaurants. South St is not your generic type of place, lots of character, very cool, artsy neighbourhood. Just note I like offbeat type stuff

Sights:
    - Magic Garden (South St.) - very trippy, worth the $10 admission
    - Giant Ants (South St) on the former Zipperhead building (for any punk fans out there), just something you pass by
    - Mutter Museum (medical oddities, no for the faint of heart)
    - Love Letter Mural - cool way to checkout the surrounding area close to DT
    - Irish Memorial
    - Graffiti Pier - very offbeat, go early. would be sketchy at night I imagine
    - Reading Terminal Market - every type of cuisine you can imagine, had the best damn donut ever here
    - Eagles game - we just brought a cooler and met some nice folks who let us crash with them for the tailgate. People were awesome, and our buddies in Broncos gear were not given any undue grief (especially after the whipping they were on the end of...)

Bars & Restaurants:
    Tattooed Mom (South St) - bumper cars for seats?
    Happy Birthday Bar (near Geno's)
    Milkboy (South St, and there is another one DT as well) - good food
    Barcade (Fishtown) - great selection of old arcade machines
    Garage (Fishtown) - went on sunday night and was dead, was a little disappointed that I couldn't play skee-ball.
    Yards Brewery (Fishtown) - check the hours
    24 Diner on South near 2nd - saved my life lol

Shops:
    Philly Team Store - lots of eagles stuff, you could get old players jerseys for as little as $30. so-so Flyers selection, but they do have older merch on sale
    Repo Records (South St) - Good selection of vinyl, picked up some gems for $1-$2 a pop, but they also have new stuff at a decent price

24. Hivemind

Hivemind We're Touched

Garage in South Philly is way better than the one in Fishtown (or at least it was). The Fishtown one has led to the worsening of that whole block/street corner. Far too bro-ey, and they're the ones responsible for the food trucks having to close/leave at midnight (not cool!).

Granted, I will say I haven't been to the Garage in South Philly since the one in Fishtown opened up, so it's possible it also went downhill.

25. Hivemind

Hivemind We're Touched

Working up a breweries section to be added to the OP:

Breweries: