OT: The Vancouver Thread (All City/City Visitors Questions Here)

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Hey Canuck fans!

I graduated from the U of Alberta with a Bcomm degree and have been working in analyst role for a couple years. I am considering moving out to BC Vancouver area and was wondering if you guys can give me some sound advice in terms of standard of living, jobs, transportation, places to live etc....

I have friends who moved from BC to alberta and told me its so much easier to build a career here. I also have other friends who moved out to BC but things never really worked out for them either. Any advice and suggestions will help.

Thanks

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
the rent is propped up and as a result you pay pay more for less compared to other markets. if you like the mountains and the scenery then i guess the cost of living is justified however i would just recommend staying in alberta

the skytrain and bus system is pretty good but there is a ton of congestion if you're driving out from the suburbs during peak times

vanboy99

Aug 22, 2008
job market for finance is dead in Vancouver. stay where you are....unless you want to take a big time pay cut to enjoy the life style for a few years.

you'll eventually be moving back to Calgary..

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Move here if it fits your lifestyle, my advice to you

You move out here, start from the bottom and work your way up from there

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I honestly wouldn't be moving out to Vancouver unless you had a significant job offer on the table already.

The job market here is soft and housing is overpriced due to foreign speculation.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
My aunt and uncle moved here from Winnipeg in the mid 90's..worked their butts off and now have way too much disposable income that they vacay every 2 months

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
My aunt and uncle moved here from Winnipeg in the mid 90's..worked their butts off and now have way too much disposable income that they vacay every 2 months

They would have been able to buy property when it was affordable, and the price of their property would have increased substantially, leaving them with a windfall in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, likely.

Not saying your advice is wrong, just hard to compare todays market to that of the 90s.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
As mentioned if you really like outdoors and milder weather it's very expensive to live in Vancouver (or even near Vancouver) right now and the job market is starting to sag.

If you can get a good salaried job in advance then I (personally) recommend staying a bit further out like Burnaby, Coquitlam, North Van etc. A little less expensive and not as hectic as downtown.

Depends on personal preference though.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
job market for finance is dead in Vancouver. stay where you are....unless you want to take a big time pay cut to enjoy the life style for a few years.

I can confirm this. At my work we had a couple job openings last summer that were really entry level ($38k salary). I had a bunch of fully designated CA's applying for this. That's how bad it is out here.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
How about areas like Burnaby Or Richmond ? Are business jobs harder to come by in those regions?

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
They would have been able to buy property when it was affordable, and the price of their property would have increased substantially, leaving them with a windfall in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, likely.

Not saying your advice is wrong, just hard to compare todays market to that of the 90s.

True, heck my dad regrets not buying property back then when it was cheap..

Some people manage to be honest, just gotta save and invest

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
That's is pretty bad CAs have pretty steady careers in alberta. Is it just business or same for other fields of work as well?

I can confirm this. At my work we had a couple job openings last summer that were really entry level ($38k salary). I had a bunch of fully designated CA's applying for this. That's how bad it is out here.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
That's is pretty bad CAs have pretty steady careers in alberta. Is it just business or same for other fields of work as well?

job market is stale if you're young and just starting out. i have colleagues who have their accounting designations or other professional designations and they say it is a struggle

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
So I assume fresh grads from UBC,Fraser,Vic are are having have even a harder time to build their careers?

job market is stale if you're young and just starting out. i have colleagues who have their accounting designations or other professional designations and they say it is a struggle

Passthedonuts

Jun 29, 2008
Oakville, ON
I honestly wouldn't be moving out to Vancouver unless you had a significant job offer on the table already.

This.

Or, only move to Vancouver if your lifestyle revolves heavily around the outdoors and money isn't that important to you.

Financially, 9 times out of 10 you'll be better off in Calgary than Vancouver. If you want to live in larger, more cosmopolitan city and have good career options, I wouldn't rule out Toronto either.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
So I assume fresh grads from UBC,Fraser,Vic are are having have even a harder time to build their careers?

Yup. There's a reason they're calling our genereration the list generation. Check out CBC's documentary "Generation Jobless." My sister completed her Bachelors of Commerce at UBC and hasn't been able to find a job.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
From now on let's use this thread to discuss/answer questions about visiting, living in, information about the city of Vancouver and the GVRD.

Last edited:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Very hard to get a job here. I know a guy who finished top of his class at UBC in finance, he had to move to Quesnel to get a half decent job. Getting an entry level job at 40k per year is optimistic, there are just so many people out here looking for that type of position. If you have considerable experience in a market though you may have an easier time.

Living right downtown is the ultimate Vancouver experience, I wouldn't recommend it unless you make at least 60k per year though. Move to Burnaby near a skytrain, they have some nice buildings around Joyce area (Collingwood) as well that are pretty affordable. Plus, if you move into an area like this it's extremely central, not far from downtown or any other major points of interest. You're likely paying $1,000.00 per month for a half decent 1 bedroom in Burnaby. If you're okay with a studio and think you can afford it you can score one of those downtown in the $1,200.00 range.

vanboy99

Aug 22, 2008
How about areas like Burnaby Or Richmond ? Are business jobs harder to come by in those regions?

Serious finance jobs all in the downtown core. People live in the burbs and commute in for housing affordability. Finance jobs in burbs limited to finance department of private co's, city jobs, and branch financial planning offices.

bo2shink*

This.

Or, only move to Vancouver if your lifestyle revolves heavily around the outdoors and money isn't that important to you.

Financially, 9 times out of 10 you'll be better off in Calgary than Vancouver. If you want to live in larger, more cosmopolitan city and have good career options, I wouldn't rule out Toronto either.

As much as I dislike TO, it's the place to go if Calgary isn't. Professionals in TO move to Vancouver to make less and work less. I can't imagine anyone moving to Vancouver to get started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad