OT: The Vancouver Thread (All City/City Visitors Questions Here)

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm moving to the interior the first chance I get. Much better job prospects and cheaper housing market, plus it's still BC and not Alberta. Moving to Alberta is a good move for career prospects but then you have to live there.

There's just too many people in Greater Vancouver/downtown and too few jobs available. Unless you're in trades, and even then..

bo2shink*

I'm moving to the interior the first chance I get. Much better job prospects and cheaper housing market, plus it's still BC and not Alberta. Moving to Alberta is a good move for career prospects but then you have to live there.

There's just too many people in Greater Vancouver/downtown and too few jobs available. Unless you're in trades, and even then..

Better prospects in the Okanagan? Buying a winery?

bo2shink*

Not really, if it's your primary residence and you don't have an exit plan (ie. eventually downsizing or moving to a cheaper area when you sell).

RSP's aren't investing if you forget you have them.

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta

Or you can live in BC and work in Alberta like I'll be doing in a couple years. I live and work and in Alberta, job prospects in most fields are much better than in BC. My wife was making 47K in Vancouver and in a similar role in Calgary she's at 62K with a masters degree.

I love BC, can't wait to move back. Just can't pass up on the outstanding experience I'm getting at the moment. I know lots of people with degrees in fields like finance and arts and almost all of them are struggling. I've been through with it with my intelligent wife...
I'm glad I had zero interest in fields like that and went in a completely different direction.

Good luck OP.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I'm moving to Calgary in about 2 weeks because the job prospects are so much better there. Can easily make 20K more for the same job once I graduate university. If I were you I would stay where you are unless you have money to spare.

Having said that I love BC and I hate the thought of leaving it as it really is one of the best places to live so my plan is to live in Calgary for only about 3 to 5 years and move back at the first chance I get.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Is that a common thing to do for BC uni grads these days?

I'm moving to Calgary in about 2 weeks because the job prospects are so much better there. Can easily make 20K more for the same job once I graduate university. If I were you I would stay where you are unless you have money to spare.

Having said that I love BC and I hate the thought of leaving it as it really is one of the best places to live so my plan is to live in Calgary for only about 3 to 5 years and move back at the first chance I get.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Was visiting this weekend from Victoria, and it's crazy how expensive real estate is, and I thought Victoria was overpriced (there are also a dearth of good jobs in Victoria).

vanboy99

Aug 22, 2008

be careful about that strategy. I'm year 5 in Calgary from Vancouver....been telling myself that i'd move back but the money is too good and i'd be giving up too much financially to move back

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
As much as I dislike TO, it's the place to go if Calgary isn't. Professionals in TO move to Vancouver to make less and work less. I can't imagine anyone moving to Vancouver to get started.

Honestly there are only maybe two places I can think of off the top of my head I'd really live in Canada other than Southern BC: Calgary and Halifax.

I don't think a lot of people realize how good we have it here. Other than cost of living.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
How competitive is the job market in Calgary? What are the pros and cons of living in Calgary over Vancouver?

be careful about that strategy. I'm year 5 in Calgary from Vancouver....been telling myself that i'd move back but the money is too good and i'd be giving up too much financially to move back

bo2shink*

How competitive is the job market in Calgary? What are the pros and cons of living in Calgary over Vancouver?

Calgary pros are cost of living and money/opportunity.

Vancouver pros are everything outside of work.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
RSP's aren't investing if you forget you have them.

You're arguing just to argue. I have a place. If it was for investing, the only way I could profit is if I downsize or move out of the area. Otherwise, it would be a lateral move, money-wise.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I've been already been warned about how hard it is to come back :laugh: I'm pretty adamant about moving back though and I'm a wuss when it comes to winters so that might make it easier to stick to my plan.

RingWraith

May 3, 2003
New Westminster
I've been forced to delve in to the Alberta job market to get myself back on my feet. But I like many, want to return to BC as soon as possible. The oil patch just isn't my thing, but it has earned me money, and I at least got a Class 1 licence and a bunch of experience out of it.

I would like to search for film industry work upon returning, it's currently at a high point, but who knows for how long. Hopefully I can fall back on a class 1 job if I have to. Can anybody comment on the viability of that plan?

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I've been forced to delve in to the Alberta job market to get myself back on my feet. But I like many, want to return to BC as soon as possible. The oil patch just isn't my thing, but it has earned me money, and I at least got a Class 1 licence and a bunch of experience out of it.

I would like to search for film industry work upon returning, it's currently at a high point, but who knows for how long. Hopefully I can fall back on a class 1 job if I have to. Can anybody comment on the viability of that plan?

You'll probably make more with the Class 1 than in the film industry. Tons of camp work up north right now and theyre always looking

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Living right downtown is the ultimate Vancouver experience, I wouldn't recommend it unless you make at least 60k per year though. Move to Burnaby near a skytrain, they have some nice buildings around Joyce area (Collingwood) as well that are pretty affordable.
Lifestyle and job option

There, narrowed it down

...and yes, I live downtown as well
Serious finance jobs all in the downtown core. People live in the burbs and commute in for housing affordability. Finance jobs in burbs limited to finance department of private co's, city jobs, and branch financial planning offices.
I read this dichotomous downtown/suburbs characterization on this site (and a lot of other places) all the time... are users unaware of the far larger part of Vancouver proper that isn't downtown, or are they just referring to the entire city as "downtown" if they live in the suburbs (which it's not)?

Downtown is, geographically, a very small part of the City of Vancouver. Almost all of the city is a pretty good place to live, and most is not as expensive as the downtown core (without being suburbanized), even if it is notably more expensive than most cities of its size.

I always feel tourists cheat themselves when they confine themselves to the downtown core. It's a very good downtown (particularly as against the American "business district" standard) but there is a whole other non-suburban city out there which is pretty great.

bo2shink*

You're arguing just to argue. I have a place. If it was for investing, the only way I could profit is if I downsize or move out of the area. Otherwise, it would be a lateral move, money-wise.

I guess I didn't think it was necessary to point out the obvious. My bad.

But even if you don't move out, you can borrow against your house and start "spending" your savings. Or you could stay in your house and put in a suite. It's an investment unless you want to be stuck in a b&w world.

bo2shink*

Just keep hoping for a low dollar and the film biz will be just fine. As for making a career out of it, what is your skill? The money won't likely be close for a while if ever.

Ball4Lyfe

Jun 18, 2010
Anybody know if I could get a discount on the monthly transit pass? Just finished my last course, and without the faresavers, and with the crazy gas prices, seems like transit will be my best choice...but $124 for a 2 zone month pass is a huge hit to the wallet.

bo2shink*

Why don't I just throw money away? If I ever borrow against my property, it means I really effed up somewhere.

While you are free to have that opinion, it's an actual strategy for many people. A residence can be "forced savings" for some and there's nothing wrong with that. Your house today in Van worth a million might be worth $2.0M in 20 years. (a random guess) If it's paid off you are sitting on $2M dollars but likely didn't "pay" that much for the house. Big deal then if you borrow $500,000 against it to enjoy your retirement. While your kids might be a bit miffed, your INVESTMENT in real estate has afforded you a luxury you may not have otherwise had. You're still sitting on $1.5M in equity and can have all the maalox you want.

It may not work for you, but that hardly means it isn't an investment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad