The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VIII

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Garett has been providing excellent analysis. I thought his analysis of DeSmith last night was spot on.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Eldebrink should have been. Probably the most poorly-handled player in franchise history. Swedes consider him to be one of their greatest defenders ever.
Can you expand on this?

As someone who has studied a lot of hockey's history I know nothing about Eldebrink. Curious to learn more.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Eldebrink should have been. Probably the most poorly-handled player in franchise history. Swedes consider him to be one of their greatest defenders ever.

I thought Gaudette was your pick for most poorly-handled player in franchise history.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Botch would have been having a hell of a time covering this season.

Screenshot_20240426-001955.png

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can you expand on this?

As someone who has studied a lot of hockey's history I know nothing about Eldebrink. Curious to learn more.

His time in Vancouver is a bit before my time but he's a guy who has been talked about a fair bit on the HOH board.

Basically he was a top prospect who joined the team in 1981 at age 20. Very young, not a lot of support. Garth Butcher was the team's 1st pick in the 1981 draft and apparently viewed Eldebrink as his competition to make the team and openly attacked/bullied him throughout training camp to intimidate him, and it sounds like this was encouraged by the team. As a smallish Euro defender, it sounds like the team really didn't know what to make of Eldebrink either - lots of stereotypes then.

Anyhow he played about 40 games over a season and a half with decent-but-unspectacular results, was traded for John Garrett, and went back to Europe. Was younger than Aatu Raty is now when we dealt him.

And then he absolutely dominated European hockey for the next decade. Was the SHL MVP on several occasions, led the 1988 Olympics in scoring, was outstanding at the 1984 and 1987 Canada Cups, dominated in both the SHL and the Swiss league. Swedish fans consider him an absolute superstar and the 2nd best Swedish defenseman in history pre-Lidstrom, behind only Borje Salming.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
His time in Vancouver is a bit before my time but he's a guy who has been talked about a fair bit on the HOH board.

Basically he was a top prospect who joined the team in 1981 at age 20. Very young, not a lot of support. Garth Butcher was the team's 1st pick in the 1981 draft and apparently viewed Eldebrink as his competition to make the team and openly attacked/bullied him throughout training camp to intimidate him, and it sounds like this was encouraged by the team. As a smallish Euro defender, it sounds like the team really didn't know what to make of Eldebrink either - lots of stereotypes then.

Anyhow he played about 40 games over a season and a half with decent-but-unspectacular results, was traded for John Garrett, and went back to Europe. Was younger than Aatu Raty is now when we dealt him.

And then he absolutely dominated European hockey for the next decade. Was the SHL MVP on several occasions, led the 1988 Olympics in scoring, was outstanding at the 1984 and 1987 Canada Cups, dominated in both the SHL and the Swiss league. Swedish fans consider him an absolute superstar and the 2nd best Swedish defenseman in history pre-Lidstrom, behind only Borje Salming.
Wow, I had no idea.

Yeah, stereotypes in the 80's around Europeans were so reductive, stupid, and self-sabotaging for teams.

Thanks for sharing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad