The Vancouver Media Thread | Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

Defector article on the Canucks this season. Not super insightful but a pleasant, funny read.
I agree.
It made me realize that while there is informed Canucks coverage these days, there are no good writers who cover the team anymore. Botch was probably the last one. Harrison Mooney was pretty good too.
Botch had a crazy style but he pulled it off.

Patrick Johnston writes some very good articles on the Canucks. Jeff Paterson's weekly CanucksArmy article is quite good too. Dayal has some excellent stuff if you're more analytically inclined.
Peej and Dayal are definitely worthwhile reads but I find them to fall in the “competent, workmanlike” category rather than particularly good at story telling. I haven’t read Paterson’s stuff so no comment there.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Peej and Dayal are definitely worthwhile reads but I find them to fall in the “competent, workmanlike” category rather than particularly good at story telling. I haven’t read Paterson’s stuff so no comment there.

Yeah, neither are particularly gifted with prose and are quite dry. This is kind of a problem with the vast majority of hockey writers, though.

Reactions: tradervik

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
@Hodgy (bait posting now?)

Why would you think I am baiting you? I have continually taken issue with your statement that it would have been an "amazing projection" to project Petey would hit 100 points in his career during his half season slump at age 23. And I have provided reasons why this wouldn't have been an "amazing projection". And you have continually ignored your use of the term "amazing projection" when trying to refute me, because presumably, you realize you shouldn't have characterized it as such initially since obviously "amazing" is a very high standard to hit.

No, it's because you think being one of the top producers in your age cohort ((Draft class) you're using a relative point marker here, FYI) lends to an 80%-90% probability that those top players will hit 100 points eventually. Not true.

I never created percentages, you did. And I never cited draft class other than to note that, I think, Petey was the top offensive producing prospect for his draft year which is probably why he was a top ten pick in the NHL despite his size. My point was that, presumably, Petey - for his age group - was the top offensive producer in the NHL from years 20-22, and frankly, I think that is probably still true even if you calculate the totals mid way through his 23 year old season. This would obviously be relevant in projecting whether he would hit 100 points during his 23 year old season. Really, there shouldn't be much debate here.

Even from just a cursory look (again, as I did this a few years back), this is incorrect. I gauge it to be about 45% for the top5 early producers in each draft class (used a .70~ PPG marker).

Again, I don't really care about percentage. The statement I am holding you to is "amazing projection". I will define these terms again:

"amazing" causing great surprise or wonder; astonishing.

"projection" an estimate or forecast of a future situation or trend based on a study of present ones

So, the projection of Petey to hit 100 points in his career would need to be a "great surprise" or "astonishing" in this context.

So you thought it was, at the time of Petey's slump, and assuming he was the highest scoring player of his age cohort at that time (which I am assuming is the case here, but you can provide stats to the contrary if you wish to refute this), that it would be a "great surprise" or "astonishing" that he hits 100 points during the prime of his career when at the time of projection 8 players were, presumably, pacing to hit this mark? You realize how ridiculous that sounds. Like ya, he was playing really poorly, we all get that and no one is refuting that, but no one should have been "astonished" that he got back on track, and essentially, continued (and later, as he developed, improved upon) the type of production he already established at the NHL level. Not saying it was the most likely event, only that it wasn't "astonishing" or a "great surprise" given everything we knew at that time.

Now add in a poor recent season performance (season blocks due to their use in analytics and model trees (no partial seasons)), a bad team, and that 45% should decline to what, 35%? 25%? Maybe closer to 35% because he had good absolute production at 20 and 21. A 35% hit rate is statistically unlikely at base. Therefore, betting on the over in that particular offseason (context) would have been amazingly bold. The team stunk.

So you think he was at a 35% change of hitting 100 points during his 23 year old slump, but yet you think projecting him to hit 100 points during that time would have been an amazing projection? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

100% Projection to hit 100 points = Guaranteed Result

50% Projection to hit 100 points = Is literally a coinflip, and it should be basically of no surprise if someone is correct on a coin flick

...but 35% Projection to Hit 100 points, only 15% lower than the coin flip, is an "amazing projection".....one of great surprise, or astonishment.

I hope I am starting to get through.

You keep using 8 100 point producers but the 4 year average was 5 per year (4 on average if we are using the 5 year average).

I am using the 8 100 point producers because, presumably, there was 8 players pacing for 100 points at the time of the projection. So this was the most relevant time and reflected the increase in scoring. But even if you used a lower form, it isn't going to change whether it was an "amazing projection" because no one should be surprised that the top scoring player for his age cohort at a particular time (even if its during a bad slump) would become a top five producers in the NHL, or whatever, at a later date. Again, not a "great surprise" or "astonishing", but not necessarily the most likely or even a likely thing to happen.

Aho didn't hit 100 points.

Ya, I know. I am just saying it would come as a "great surprise" or "astonishing" to me, if Aho later hits 100 points. In fact, he's on pace to hit 98 points this year. But I guess Aho hitting 100 points this year would be a "great surprise" or "astonishing" to you, right?

Nothing else in your posts is worth debating. If you have the wrong base percentage/probability, everything else you say is meaningless. I've now explained my position thoroughly, again. You're free to conclude that it's wrong (we're talking past each other at this point).

We are not talking past each other. You are continually ignoring the crux of the debate which is your use of "amazing projection". I don't even really care about your percentages or probabilities as determining those is a hilariously difficult task, but ironically, an also hilariously, your own percentages/probabilities have contradicted your initial statement that it would have been an "amazing projection" to project Petey to hit 100 points since you seem to put the probability of him hitting 100 points during his slump at 35% and quite obviously it isn't of "great surprise" or "astonishing" if an event that is 35% likely to occurs actually does occur.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Anyone ever listen to the Vancouver hockey show? It's where Andrew Wadden landed.

(Let's get this B back on topic)

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
"The only thing I was right about in October was that Tyler Myers is better than the market thinks."

-Drance on Thursday. Not an exact quote but it reflects what he was saying.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
"The only thing I was right about in October was that Tyler Myers is better than the market thinks."

-Drance on Thursday. Not an exact quote but it reflects what he was saying.

He was right. Myers was always an asset, his contract is garbage and quite frankly last year he was garbage. Some fans got carried away with the narrative and got caught in confirmation bias.

That said I’m really not sure if he’s a #3 on a successful hockey team.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
John Garrett really must have pissed someone off in Canucks HQ for them to think inflicting us with 'Captain Obvious', Dave Tomlinson was a viable alternative.

Green Blank Stare

Drance approved coach
May 16, 2019
He was right. Myers was always an asset, his contract is garbage and quite frankly last year he was garbage. Some fans got carried away with the narrative and got caught in confirmation bias.

That said I’m really not sure if he’s a #3 on a successful hockey team.
Myers has been trash the vast majority of his tenure in Vancouver. Saying anything else is flat out false.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Agreed, to an extent. I’d say 50% good 50% holy shit wtf

He’s only an asset cause he’s a RHD and GMs are stupid.
You don't think a tiny bit of Dunning-Kreuger might be at play when a message board convinces itself that the GM's are too stupid to see what a group of people with full time jobs, many of whom admittedly don't even watch every game, see?

I know I can look forward to a series of replies with "Benning, Milbury" etc. But here we're discounting the perspective of a plurality of GM's who aren't smart enough to...what, look at JFresh charts?

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
You don't think a tiny bit of Dunning-Kreuger might be at play when a message board convinces itself that the GM's are too stupid to see what a group of people with full time jobs, many of whom admittedly don't even watch every game, see?

I know I can look forward to a series of replies with "Benning, Milbury" etc. But here we're discounting the perspective of a plurality of GM's who aren't smart enough to...what, look at JFresh charts?

:laugh: I like that bolded line.

I mean, yeah, but given our likely audience I'm going to have an easier time putting it in those terms than actually explaining why Myers isn't as bad as the meme he has become. Don't you think? I think some people don't realize he's actually been using his 6'8'' frame an effective way this season as well. So this season he's been worth every penny of the $6M we've allotted him.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Credit to Tocchet and Foote on Myers. Hughes' breakout and Hronek also allowed them to put him in a more optimal spot. They figured out how to make him an asset, which was always about load management. He's obviously overpaid at this point, but the Canucks have no better option for those minutes and aren't likely to acquire one in the short term given the cap situation.

I'd largely void his play before this season, as he was playing in a way different spot on the depth chart and in a different system.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
:laugh: I like that bolded line.

I mean, yeah, but given our likely audience I'm going to have an easier time putting it in those terms than actually explaining why Myers isn't as bad as the meme he has become. Don't you think? I think some people don't realize he's actually been using his 6'8'' frame an effective way this season as well. So this season he's been worth every penny of the $6M we've allotted him.
I don't think anyone thinks he's actually worth 6 million dollars. But this board gets complete whiplash from one game to the next. And the idea gets thrown around that useful RD are actually terrible but dinosaur gms don't understand what some teenager on lunch break looking at twitter charts has 'figured out'.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I don't think anyone thinks he's actually worth 6 million dollars. But this board gets complete whiplash from one game to the next. And the idea gets thrown around that useful RD are actually terrible but dinosaur gms don't understand what some teenager on lunch break looking at twitter charts has 'figured out'.

Nah I’m saying he’s been worth that this year. Rest of the contract is more or less how I thought it would be. I agree with you that looking at graphs only to evaluate a defender based on some pencil pushers idea of what that looks like and taking it for gospel is lunacy.

Based on his play this year I’m sure there will be another fan base ready to be frustrated with his contract come July.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

- The stark difference between this year and last.
- Horvat trade
- Nobody had any idea where the team was going
- People speculated on trading Pettersson, Hughes and Demko
- Coaching situation was bad
- Now, the turn around is incredible. 5 reps at the all-star game
- Remarkable turn around
- Exciting second half, which they never thought was possible

when were people speculating on trading Demko?
You have say that Demko's back to full health at the start of the season is one of the starkest differences between this year and last.
No one was excited at the turnaround that Tocchet brought when he first got here because we saw the same think with Bruce. There it was.
But I don't think anybody believes this is not a better team than Bruce's thanks to the depth and that this version of the team is not one injury from collapsing. Certainly DeSmith is much more a stable backup than Spencer Martin was for example.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
when were people speculating on trading Demko?
You have say that Demko's back to full health at the start of the season is one of the starkest differences between this year and last.
No one was excited at the turnaround that Tocchet brought when he first got here because we saw the same think with Bruce. There it was.
But I don't think anybody believes this is not a better team than Bruce's thanks to the depth and that this version of the team is not one injury from collapsing. Certainly DeSmith is much more a stable backup than Spencer Martin was for example.

They mention it off hand in that clip, but this was repeated in one of latest two CanucksArmy podcasts by Harman Dayal (iirc). There was a moment in time where Demko's name was discussed as a trade candidate.

Reactions: LuckyDay

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I'm obviously not a Tyler Myers fan and *hated* that contract from the second it was signed but some of the takes on Myers this year in particular are frankly nuts.

It seems like most of the fanbase (and a bunch of the media) thinks that Juulsen is better than Myers which is just ... no.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I'm obviously not a Tyler Myers fan and *hated* that contract from the second it was signed but some of the takes on Myers this year in particular are frankly nuts.

It seems like most of the fanbase (and a bunch of the media) thinks that Juulsen is better than Myers which is just ... no.
It has always been about the contract. Myers is better than Juulsen, and if being more specific, the offensive part of the game. That said, I would rather have Juulsen at league minimum plus the extra cap space than Myers at $6M.
The difference between now and the beginning of the year is that Juulsen has shown he is worth his salary at the NHL level.

Last edited:

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I lost respect for John Garrett after his comments when Rick Rypien went into the stands. the fans were just clapping, not giving him lip or anything. Just clapping and JG made it clear they were at fault for what RR did. I realize that all guys are suppose to homers--but there is a line

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I lost respect for John Garrett after his comments when Rick Rypien went into the stands. the fans were just clapping, not giving him lip or anything. Just clapping and JG made it clear they were at fault for what RR did. I realize that all guys are suppose to homers--but there is a line
Have you been sitting on this comment for 13-14 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad