News Article: The Vancouver Canucks Have Been Lucky

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I'd take 3rd in the division happily.

So would I, if we have been lucky to be tied on top of the pacific with the ducks, but are predicted to only be surpassed by the sharks I would be thrilled.

Last edited:

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
from the article:
Luck plays a massive role in determining the outcome of National Hockey League games, mostly due to the parity, introduced by the salary cap, and because of the relatively low number of events per game.

What is this supposed to mean? What is this relative to? It's a real-time sport; there are literally an infinite amount of events per game.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
from the article:
Luck plays a massive role in determining the outcome of National Hockey League games, mostly due to the parity, introduced by the salary cap, and because of the relatively low number of events per game.

What is this supposed to mean? What is this relative to? It's a real-time sport; there are literally an infinite amount of events per game.

most of the events are not meaningful

Depejk*

why can't they be both?

tumblr_mf0wbidlcf1qbmftbo1_400.gif

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
from the article:

Low number of scoring events.

Compare it to a similar game with a very high number of scoring events like say, AFL (sticking to what I know here), and luck has a far greater influence in a game where one bounce literally can decide the game by virtue of being the only scoring event in many cases. Having said that, good teams still come out on top because of the 82 game sample size.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Low number of scoring events.

Compare it to a similar game with a very high number of scoring events like say, AFL (sticking to what I know here), and luck has a far greater influence in a game where one bounce literally can decide the game by virtue of being the only scoring event in many cases. Having said that, good teams still come out on top because of the 82 game sample size.

Very much true. Think of all the 1 goal games decided by random bounces off skates or Bieksa's playoff goal off a random stanchion bounce or goalie/shooters guessing against each other etc. It doesn't take much luck to tip a game.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I want my 10 minutes of my life back.

what a waste of time.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
What bad luck winning all those games by one goal.....alll those close gamrs where we could have been up by 2 or 3 goals.

Dont forg et this is a new team with aloy of new players...and a new system. What happens whrn chemistry grows in another 15 to 20 games

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Canucks wrre very lucky

If canucks had potted a few more of those ptime A chances....then there is no telling how mad their players would have been...and taking more runs at our lineup

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Health is the most under-rated factor in determining team success, and yeah, it's pretty much down to luck.

Last year we were unlucky.

This year we've been lucky.

The results aren't surprising.

I think your wrong cause this year cause of Willie D and some great moves by JB to bring in in Vrbata Miller Bones Sbisa i say Willie cause look how Edler Burrows and matthias were getting more of and even guys like Richy and Higgy are exselling

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lucky?...not listening to Doug McLean on Sportsnet last night...points out that the 'Nucks have 67 points from their third and fourth lines...got to be at or near the top of the league.....when was the last time the 'Nucks were still a threat to win even when the Sedin line was doing nothing?...not last year that's for sure....still winning with their best d-man and most truculent forward on the sidelines:p:

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Lucky?...not listening to Doug McLean on Sportsnet last night...points out that the 'Nucks have 67 points from their third and fourth lines...got to be at or near the top of the league.....when was the last time the 'Nucks were still a threat to win even when the Sedin line was doing nothing?...not last year that's for sure....still winning with their best d-man and most truculent forward on the sidelines:p:

Spot on. You'd hope for an odd one from MayRay, Higgy, Hansen or Kass and that was about it.

Burrows and Edler haven't played hockey like this for at least 2 seasons. That's the real luck.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
from the article:

Scoring events. In basketball, because there are so many opportunities to take shots throughout the game, missing one shot doesn't matter that much. You need to score baskets consistently to win the game. Similarly in football, you need to string together a series of yard-gaining plays in order to score. You need to make good plays again and again to win the game.

Meanwhile in hockey, two or three good plays is usually enough to win the game. So basically, there's a lot more parity between teams because even the worst teams in the league can usually put together a few good scoring chances, and if those go in you've got a win. I think his point was that in the NHL, being 1st in the West at this point of the season doesn't mean all that much, while it'd mean a lot more to be 1st in an NBA conference at this time of year.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
It is 100% luck that the Nucks are doing good. It is also 100% the reason why the Oilers are 6-15-5. Just luck guys - look at the advanced stats.

:sarcasm: (just incase someone takes me seriously)

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I don't think the team is lucky at all. I think the Canucks are for real. Bottom six can produce, the 1st line is good as it gets and Bones has been doing his job. Defense has picked it up. Goaltending is great! We have also came close with the Cali teams except LA. I have confidence in the team and believe Benning is doing good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad