News Article: The Vancouver Canucks Have Been Lucky

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Guy had to use charts to tell us Injuries to star players-bad luck

And if Van is projected to finish third in the division then were laughing

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I don't get what the point is. We haven't had very many injuries. So it means we suck?

Montreal and Pittsburg have had even less injuries. I guess they suck even more!

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i dont need an article to tell me that the team has been lucky. its pretty obvious

edit: lol the commenters on canucksarmy are so ****ing bad

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I love those sort of analytic stuff but I think what several (most?) people fail to recognize that its not the "all-end-truth". All it does is giving an indication for a trend but nothing more.

Its the same with PDO. Yes, the average is 1 but you will rarely see a team at one. Average means you have pretty much one half above it and the other half below it. A top team with a good goalie and several snipers will usually always end up with a good PDO but it doesnt mean they are lucky but only that they are likely an above average team playing up to their potential.

However, if there is a team that looks not so good on paper but has a good PDO, they are probably playing a bit above their level and might slow down. So you always have to relate those stats to the team itself.

Its no different with injuries. Just because the Canucks have had very few injuries to core players so far, it doesnt mean that they will come in bunches now.

Also if one of your top 6 guys goes down with a season ending injury after game 5 and you acquire a similar player for draft picks / futures to replace him. It gives you an advantage in that stat because you have lost a significant player but sort of still have the same team.

To make sense out of all those new fancy stats, you have to look at quite a few of them and it normally evens out. If it doesnt, your team is probably in deep doo-doo, other than that you can probably find some sort of stat for every team to "prove" that they playing above or below of their capability.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
We lost a Stanley Cup due to injury's.

We deserve good karma for another decade

It wasn't just injuries. It was also the league deciding the rulebook didn't apply to the Bruins while applying it threefold to us.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Health is the most under-rated factor in determining team success, and yeah, it's pretty much down to luck.

Last year we were unlucky.

This year we've been lucky.

The results aren't surprising.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Health is the most under-rated factor in determining team success, and yeah, it's pretty much down to luck.

Last year we were unlucky.

This year we've been lucky.

The results aren't surprising.

Pretty much.

We can take on any team in a 7 game series if 2-3 of their top guys are either nicked up or out of the lineup.

Obviously, Hamhuis being out hurts, but our squad has remained injury-free for the most part of this season so far, and it has benefited us greatly.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The Canucks have been lucky in terms of injuries. Haven't they been unlucky in terms of PDO?

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
The Kings should give their cup back from 2012 for having "unsustainable matrices" in the injury department.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
We have been lucky, this team doesn't deserve the record given how its played...

Shink

Sep 25, 2014
Lol, what a bunch of absolute bull ****.

The guy says in the article that when it accounts for Hamhuis being gone, the Canucks will fall more towards the middle of that stupid little chart. He says that, and then says it doesn't matter because we wouldn't have it as bad as the blue jackets.

Seriously? What a bunch of crap.

Mighty Chin

Dec 13, 2013
I've never been more impressed with the Canucks. Especially their effort coming back from a bad goal. Coach and young blood are doing wonders for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad