The Utica Comets Thread | Part XXX | [mod warning post #855]

Status
Not open for further replies.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Agreed. Give Canuck prospects that still have NHL potential first crack. Shink, Gaunce, Grenier, Kenins, and even Jensen should get a chance to shown whether they're capable of being AHL top 6 wingers before a no-upside vet is brought in. Last season pieces were added upfront when no one stepped up.

That is exactly what I think the canucks/comets are doing. Give the kids a month to show they can step up, or not going to cut it. They have enough returning players whom have a season or two in the league. They need to show leadership, or changes will happen at some point.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Ever notice how teams that don't score always get beat by goalies standing on their heads? That was Jersey's mantra two years ago. I think it's much more guys who can't score make any goalie look good.

Your glass is half full and mine is half empty. LOL

I guess the fact that they out shot their opponent in each of the first two games is somewhat encouraging. As you know SOG is a meaningless stat. Quality shots and scoring opportunities is what matters. But at least the ice wasn't tilted where they were badly out played while losing both games.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Anton Cederholm was sent down to Kzoo today which reduces the roster from 9 D to 8. You will all be happy to know that John Negrin is still a Comet though.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Anton Cederholm was sent down to Kzoo today which reduces the roster from 9 D to 8. You will all be happy to know that John Negrin is still a Comet though.

Negrin gives this team a chance to win every night.

He tries hard in practice and is a great example for the kids. Negrin is a good glue guy that can really help mentor and rub shoulders with some of the young guys.

Everybody here is just hating on management but you guys don't know what it's like to be in that locker room they do! So you can never tell them what to do!

Kappa

IDJOTBOY

Jan 7, 2014
Surrey, BC
Negrin gives this team a chance to win every night.

He tries hard in practice and is a great example for the kids. Negrin is a good glue guy that can really help mentor and rub shoulders with some of the young guys.

Everybody here is just hating on management but you guys don't know what it's like to be in that locker room they do! So you can never tell them what to do!

Kappa

I was cringing reading this, then I saw the Kappa.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's just a little of me going "throw it at the wall see if it sticks"

My thought process is that right now they really don't have a offensive weapon up front with Baertschi/O'Reilly gone.

Also, towards your Baertschi comment. Baertschi was already seasoned for a bit before coming over. A year older than Hunter is now too right. This is the time we should be putting a lot of effort into developing Shinkaruk into the offensive forward that he can be. With his hands/Shot/effort he has everything he needs to be that forward Baertschi was for the Comets IMO. Might as well try, if it fails then just try something else.

Comets need goals, their leading goal scorers last season were DeFazio, Jeffrey, Grenier and Shinkaruk. We need Grenier and shinkaruk really to step up and fill big roles offensively if this team wants to be back to the power house it was.

I've been telling you that Shink will get what you are asking. He's now skating with Vey and Jensen, Grenier with Kenins and Friesen. An attempt by Green to spread the wealth around.

PP units look like Kenins/Friesen/Grenier/Jones,Biega/Subban and Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Jensen/Vey/Fedun

On another note dear to us. Cederholm now shipped out to the Zoo without having played a game. Blomstrand, Fox, and Cederholm all got the same treatment; camp in France, practice with the Comets, and then demoted to the Zoo with no game time. Their efforts in camp must have been pretty weak unless you lean toward the conspiracy theory. Negrin has to stay in Utica so a kid must go. Stewart must stay so a kid has to go, therefore, good-bye Fox and Cederholm (I didn't figure Blomstrand had a snowballs chance in Hell).

Doo doo, doo doo...Doo doo, doo doo....! A-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-!

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I'm not a huge Cederholm fan but he was a much better dman in the WHL than Stewart. He played first pairing minutes on a good team, although he was a black hole offensively. Unfortunately for him, he was picked by the wrong GM.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'm not a huge Cederholm fan but he was a much better dman in the WHL than Stewart. He played first pairing minutes on a good team, although he was a black hole offensively. Unfortunately for him, he was picked by the wrong GM.

Yeah, but Stewart is now playing wing. His presence has no effect on whether Anton made it or not. The Comets had 9 D-men and I've said all along Green would cut it to at least 8 maybe even 7 as things move along.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I've been telling you that Shink will get what you are asking. He's now skating with Vey and Jensen, Grenier with Kenins and Friesen. An attempt by Green to spread the wealth around.

PP units look like Kenins/Friesen/Grenier/Jones,Biega/Subban and Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Jensen/Vey/Fedun

On another note dear to us. Cederholm now shipped out to the Zoo without having played a game. Blomstrand, Fox, and Cederholm all got the same treatment; camp in France, practice with the Comets, and then demoted to the Zoo with no game time. Their efforts in camp must have been pretty weak unless you lean toward the conspiracy theory. Negrin has to stay in Utica so a kid must go. Stewart must stay so a kid has to go, therefore, good-bye Fox and Cederholm (I didn't figure Blomstrand had a snowballs chance in Hell).

Doo doo, doo doo...Doo doo, doo doo....! A-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-!

Thanks for the updates.

I don't get the power play.

Kenins-Friesen-Grenier-Jones
Biega-Subban

That's 6 players.

And I figured out why Negrin and Stewart are in the lineup. They bring a veteran presence in the lineup. Good glue guys, guys that fight automatically are instant mentors. Without Negrin and Stewart on this team they would lose games due to low moral.

KappaPride

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
As far as lines go, this A.M. Shink was elevated to play with Vey and Jensen. The other top line was Friesen centering Kenins and Grenier. Gaunce is at least down to the 3rd unit.

The D-pairings were Pedan/Biega, Fedun/Negrin, Ehrhardt/Subban, and McEneny/Sautner.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Thanks for the updates.

I don't get the power play.

Kenins-Friesen-Grenier-Jones
Biega-Subban

That's 6 players.

And I figured out why Negrin and Stewart are in the lineup. They bring a veteran presence in the lineup. Good glue guys, guys that fight automatically are instant mentors. Without Negrin and Stewart on this team they would lose games due to low moral.

KappaPride

Note the comma between Jones and Biega? They rotated on the right point. PP nearing it's end, get the second D-man on the ice who can also be strong on the point.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I like the fact they are giving Pedan lots of ice time by making him top pairing defenseman. He deserves it IMO, played really well.

I do not like the idea of Shinkaruk with Vey and Jensen. Vey and Jensen just aren't engaged enough, Vey doesn't even look like he's trying.

Gaunce should be playing 4th line LW in Vancouver just based off the camp he had. Or he should be switched to center so he can center the 2nd line in Utica.

Thanks again BG for the updates.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Man could Utica use a guy like McCann right now.

Hear that ten times over. Stupid Jr/NHL rule. Understand the reasoning, but seems like a single 19 year old/per AHL franchise could come to be. It's not like McCann might not be a Jr. anyways because they see him as being better off up a notch and if it means 2 notches they might live with it. He's holding his own up there, but would excel in Utica and would be just what the Dr. ordered at this point.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Fedun - negrin....... I hope to hell I don't see that pairing tomorrow night........ And shink- vey- jensen line...... That will get bounced all over the rink.... Who in that line is going to win a board battle????

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Man could Utica use a guy like McCann right now.

If they keep sitting him they might actually be able to send him down for a conditioning stint. It'd be very interesting to see how he looks in the AHL.

As far as lines go, this A.M. Shink was elevated to play with Vey and Jensen. The other top line was Friesen centering Kenins and Grenier. Gaunce is at least down to the 3rd unit.

The D-pairings were Pedan/Biega, Fedun/Negrin, Ehrhardt/Subban, and McEneny/Sautner.

Thanks for the update. The pairings other than Pedan-Biega look like a tire fire right now, I have to say...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Fedun - negrin....... I hope to hell I don't see that pairing tomorrow night........ And shink- vey- jensen line...... That will get bounced all over the rink.... Who in that line is going to win a board battle????

Fedun/Negrin has been the pairing in the first two games. Whether or not you see it tomorrow isn't up to me. They were together in practice.

The Shink/Vey/Jensen line skated together today. Will that be a line tomorrow? I don't make out the lineup.

There will be line changes. It almost has to be. The lines in games 1&2 produced nada. Green will keep mixing and matching until something clicks. He had lines that could take care of themselves and got no production. Goals win games and he has to get someone going and preferably a lot more than one. I wouldn't sweat any combinations until we see them for 5 or 6 games in a row. That's when we'll know that line has been settled.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Man, those are a pretty "iffy" sets of d-pairings.....Comet goaltenders are going to get pelted with rubber this year....they must be on the lookout for veteran d-help....makes the loss of Corrado on waivers even more painful.:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad