The Utica Comets Thread - Part XXVIII - Calder Cup Finals Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Virtanen's accuracy gone to the ******* since his shoulder surgery.

If he works on it during the offseason and gets it back where it was his draft year he'll be fine.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Virtanen's accuracy gone to the ******* since his shoulder surgery.

If he works on it during the offseason and gets it back where it was his draft year he'll be fine.

Is that it? Wouldn't it be a more likely explanation that his shooting percentage in his draft season was unsustainably high? Not sure I really buy that his shoulder injury has caused has had a large affect on his shooting accuracy. I don't think this theory is really corroborating by any kind of evidence or past experience.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Is that it? Wouldn't it be a more likely explanation that his shooting percentage in his draft season was unsustainably high? Not sure I really buy that his shoulder injury has caused has had a large affect on his shooting accuracy. I don't think this theory is really corroborating by any kind of evidence or past experience.

Neither is the 'unsustainable shooting %' theory. Both are guesses, but at least the surgery theory has some element of fact to it (i.e. He did have surgery and lose a summer of training) while the high sh% is nothing more than a guess.

HalfPastDan

Registered Schmoozer
Feb 7, 2010

Clearly not by you. :shakehead

If you've played, and been injured, you know the difficulty you can experience getting your form back, even once you're healthy, especially on such a delicate thing as accuracy, where we're talking a matter of inches. It's unbelievably frustrating to know where you want to put the puck, know that you used to be able to put it there consistently, but no longer be able to put it there.

Some never get it back, but he's young, and should be fully recovered physically. An off-season of high volume shooting practice should clear it right up.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Damn Virtanen needs to improve on his accuracy/finish, i think he panics a lot when he gets into some of these situations.

Maybe a bit of panic.. Once he scores one I think he'll get piles more confidence back in his shooting. He looks great, Not worried at all

leftwinglockdown

Dude Guy
Apr 29, 2011
Canada

I wouldn't count that out. I think he had easier chances in his draft year. Lots of wraparounds and 1on1's which play into his style of game. The defenders probably tried harder to take those away this past year.

But the shoulder surgery does explain a bit. It was his right shoulder and he shoots right. His shot was overpowering before and now it's not even close to where it was. Add in the fact that he didn't get to shoot a puck for probably 3 months and I think we get to where we're at now.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Maybe a bit of panic.. Once he scores one I think he'll get piles more confidence back in his shooting. He looks great, Not worried at all

Mostly agree with this, but also I note that he's been training with McCann in Utica. McCann
seems to have dramatically improved his shooting accuracy in one year, and beyond a doubt
the two guys are shooting together, and discussing all sorts of training and improvement details,
including shot power and accuracy. McCann has found a way to improve his shot, and you know
he's already passed on his personal experience to his teammate.

And yes, some but not all of Jake's shooting woes may be owing to nervousness or rookie panic.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Mostly agree with this, but also I note that he's been training with McCann in Utica. McCann
seems to have dramatically improved his shooting accuracy in one year, and beyond a doubt
the two guys are shooting together, and discussing all sorts of training and improvement details,
including shot power and accuracy. McCann has found a way to improve his shot, and you know
he's already passed on his personal experience to his teammate.

And yes, some but not all of Jake's shooting woes may be owing to nervousness or rookie panic.

McCann always had a really good shot. His accuracy was apparent in his draft year.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I've only been peripherally paying attention, but is it just more or has the entire playoff consistently gone:

Comets win, Comets lose, Comets win, Comets lose, Comets win, Comets lose, Comets win, Comets lose, Comets win, Comets lose, Comets win, Comets lose, Comets win, Comets lose, Comets win, Comets lose, over and over again?
Yeah, as long as they get the first win in the series, they're good. :laugh: They'll go the distance in each one, of course.

Markström's post-loss record has been highlighted a lot. His stats after a win, by corollary, are probably substantially worse. (I think neither fact is all that reflective of goaltending, for what it's worth).

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
McCann always had a really good shot. His accuracy was apparent in his draft year.

Except that an accuracy problem was highlighted last year by McCann himself in a video interview, and also by his ex-GM Kyle Dubas in a written list of things that Jared needed to improve. I'm a big McCann fan, so I took note, as did others on this board. His shot has always been quick and hard, but he missed the net and killed the glass much too often. Hence the need for improved accuracy that he and his GM mentioned.

It's just like Bo Horvat often mentioning a need to improve his speed. It's a strength to admit a weakness, and then deal with it. Worked for Horvat; will also work for McCann.

Bean in Charge

Dec 24, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Except that an accuracy problem was highlighted last year by McCann himself in a video interview, and also by his ex-GM Kyle Dubas in a written list of things that Jared needed to improve. I'm a big McCann fan, so I took note, as did others on this board. His shot has always been quick and hard, but he missed the net and killed the glass much too often. Hence the need for improved accuracy that he and his GM mentioned.

It's just like Bo Horvat often mentioning a need to improve his speed. It's a strength to admit a weakness, and then deal with it. Worked for Horvat; will also work for McCann.

everyone will always say they need to improve their shot. i've yet to hear a player say "no, my shot is perfect"

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
everyone will always say they need to improve their shot. i've yet to hear a player say "no, my shot is perfect"
I don't think that's necessarily true.

I've heard players take enough pride/confidence in their game that they don't admit that something is a weakness, and write it off to other excuses.

I love Gaunce's game, but his initial response to his lack of intensity is an example of this-- it happens all the time when players are questioned-- "I just need to keep playing my game and things will turn around."

Last edited:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

You're saying there's no evidence that shoulder injuries effect shooting accuracy?

I'll go with you're 100% incorrect.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

Maybe so, but Dubas actually listed shot accuracy as a specific area of McCann's game needing improvement. Along with some other things, as I recall, like consistency and bulking up.

You could argue that these are just the "usual suspects" that most players have to improve on. But both the SSM GM and McCann himself were specific on these points, and so we posters, as rational human beings, have to conclude that the player and his GM knew what they were specifically talking about.

If you can find or recall McCann's interviews, he's a very intelligent and serious-sounding guy. I was impressed by his candid self-assessment and his drive to improve. It's too bad that the "it is what it is" initial remark upon becoming a Canuck draftee has kind of obscured his obvious maturity.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I'm going to say Jake scores tonight. He's been getting lots of chances and I just have a feeling he'll bury one tonight

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
So this game is on the road, next two will be at home right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad