The Utica Comets Thread | Part 40 | RIP 2016-2017 Comets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
There has been a lot of talk about how management has "learned their lesson" and are wary of rushing their prospects. We'll see.

Honestly a lot of what management says is PR. I would rather judge them on their action. So far this off-season, they seem to finally be backing up their statements tho. Even if all the signings fail, you can see the intention is bring competition and force prospects to earn their shot/not rush them.

Lets hope Juolevi doesn't stick around this season (unless he actually earns the spot). That will likely be the next test to see if its PR or fact management isn't trying to rush.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Honestly a lot of what management says is PR. I would rather judge them on their action. So far this off-season, they seem to finally be backing up their statements tho. Even if all the signings fail, you can see the intention is bring competition and force prospects to earn their shot/not rush them.

Lets hope Juolevi doesn't stick around this season (unless he actually earns the spot). That will likely be the next test to see if its PR or fact management isn't trying to rush.

The talk I am referring to are coming from the tsn 1040 guys not from management. I don't think management has necessarily changed their position in terms of what they have said.

At the end of the day, it's not an easy decision to make. You have to think of that player's development. For example, Horvat was ready to play in the NHL as a 4th line C and nothing more at the beginning of the year. Do you send him back for another year in juniors where he doesn't have much to prove? It's also hard not to give a roster spot to a player who has earned it. McCann for example, earned a spot at training camp but you can argue he should have been sent to the WJC and then back to juniors when he started struggling.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
The talk I am referring to are coming from the tsn 1040 guys not from management. I don't think management has necessarily changed their position in terms of what they have said.

At the end of the day, it's not an easy decision to make. You have to think of that player's development. For example, Horvat was ready to play in the NHL as a 4th line C and nothing more at the beginning of the year. Do you send him back for another year in juniors where he doesn't have much to prove? It's also hard not to give a roster spot to a player who has earned it. McCann for example, earned a spot at training camp but you can argue he should have been sent to the WJC and then back to juniors when he started struggling.

It should be easy for a D since they are suppose to take longer to develop.

Virtanen should've been an easy decision too (tho he did have a decent rookie year despite an average camp/bad WJC). Having him here in his rookie year should be a good remainder going forward since this is now his last year of waiver exemption. If we keep Juolevi up this year, he has 2 more years to develop in the AHL instead of 3.

I haven't listen'd to TSN radio in a while and won't likely listen to them again for a few years (since Sportsnet has rights now... no point in listening to TSN).

I actually wanted Horvat back in Jr his rookie year (after 9 games)... tho MG proved he was right keeping him in the NHL. I guess i'm more conservative with prospects than others.

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
A lot is dependent on the individual. Just like in the workplace. Some people can naturally take on a management position straight out the gate. Others need some time on every step of the ladder to be able to mentally grasp the higher role.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
A nice interview with Trent Cull between periods of today prospects game....count me as being impressed.....I think this guy is going to do just fine in Utica....waited a long time for this coaching gig and appears to be really jacked up for the opportunity.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I haven't listen'd to TSN radio in a while and won't likely listen to them again for a few years (since Sportsnet has rights now... no point in listening to TSN).

It's going to take a while for Sportsnet to get going. TSN also has the better analysts. That's the main reason to listen to TSN. Sportsnet also currently have a couple of guys like Sekeres who are well connected with the Canucks.

I actually wanted Horvat back in Jr his rookie year (after 9 games)... tho MG proved he was right keeping him in the NHL. I guess i'm more conservative with prospects than others.

Huh? It was Benning who kept Horvat in the NHL.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Competent management wouldn't have to learn that lesson.

It's naive to think that mistakes won't be made, especially if you haven't had time to assess what you have in the system. The game changes sometimes in cycles and sometimes from year to year. At the end of the day, it's about how a manager adapts and forges an identity for the team to win a Cup.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
It's naive to think that mistakes won't be made, especially if you haven't had time to assess what you have in the system. The game changes sometimes in cycles and sometimes from year to year. At the end of the day, it's about how a manager adapts and forges an identity for the team to win a Cup.

Excuse #6 (Rookie GM). Still as lame as it ever was.

A man is tasked to paint the floor of a room. He paints himself into the corner, with nowhere to go he walks out over fresh paint leaving footprints in the paint and on the carpet outside the room.

Mistakes happen so his boss gives him another chance. He paints himself into the corner again, with nowhere to go he walks out over fresh paint leaving footprints in the paint, but takes his boots off before the carpet.

His boss gives him a final chance to get it right. This time, he paints himself into the corner again, but rather than walk out and ruin the paint he he sits and waits for a couple of hours until it is dry then paints the corner.

A fan would point to the progress and lack of footprints.

A non-fan would point out he's still an idiot.

Last edited:

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

They crammed Virtanen and McCann on the roster because they "[hadn't] had time to assess what [they had] in the system?"

They drafted them over a year previously. How ****ing stupid do you think these guys actually are?

Oh gee, guys, we might have a handle on the depth chart by year four or five, I hope!

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Excuse #6 (Rookie GM). Still as lame as it ever was.

A man is tasked to paint the floor of a room. He paints himself into the corner, with nowhere to go he walks out over fresh paint leaving footprints in the paint and on the carpet outside the room.

Mistakes happen so his boss gives him another chance. He paints himself into the corner again, with nowhere to go he walks out over fresh paint leaving footprints in the paint, but takes his boots off before the carpet.

His boss gives him a final chance to get it right. This time, he paints himself into the corner again, but rather than walk out and ruin the paint he he sits and waits for a couple of hours until it is dry then paints the corner.

A fan would point to the progress and lack of footprints.

A non-fan would point out he's still an idiot.

Except even a fan would run out of patience and call him an idiot anyways.

I do support the moves Benning made at the deadline/draft and even UFA. He is making progress but i still don't have a lot of faith in him. I would much rather he be a scout than a GM and would still consider it good news if he was fired. :laugh:

After all, he's the one who made me lose faith in him... if he wants to gain it back, it'll take time. Rather or not he's given the time is another story since Canada hockey market aren't exactly known for their patience... :laugh:

The fact he got Archibald to agree (to what it seems is an AHL deal, tho everything seems to be based on one source still, unlike Labate's deal) is another great move. Even if it turns out to be a 2 way deal, its a good move since (like i said in the last 2 pages, i hope he resigns Archibald...). :laugh:

I wonder if he decides to take a vacation not given there really isn't much he could do until Aug. Team 1130 (Rick Dhaliwal aka same source as Archibald signing that everyone is referring to) is reporting that they wouldn't "surprised" if 'nucks are interested in Dwight King. If we sign another, it would likely mean 1 more forward for Utica (likely someone like Burmistrov). Of course its really pure speculation at this point and i doubt we'll look into much until after Aug. 15 (drafted NCAA grads become UFA... aka Kerfoot/Butcher day with us being linked to Kerfoot).

There is a question @ D and the fact there isn't anyone with "veteran" status there. Although like i said before, Pedan and Subban are really like veterans without the status. Brisebois and Holm are both likely locks too with McEneny so at most there's 1 spot in the D core (that's assuming we carry 8 D in Vancouver). Cederholm (based on a couple translate article) seems to be planning on coming over to the AHL next season so he'll likely be a favorite for the final spot. That leaves Chatfield and Sautner as likely extras (and Stewart if you want to count him...). To me, that means its unlikely we sign Robak unless he too is willing to take an AHL deal.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
They crammed Virtanen and McCann on the roster because they "[hadn't] had time to assess what [they had] in the system?"

They drafted them over a year previously. How ****ing stupid do you think these guys actually are?

Oh gee, guys, we might have a handle on the depth chart by year four or five, I hope!

Wtf are you talking about? That's not what I was saying at all. Can you read and comprehend English?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Wtf are you talking about? That's not what I was saying at all. Can you read and comprehend English?

Are you questioning RKs mental abilities? Arent you always jumping on us shouting bully everytime someone says Benning looks and acts a fool?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Are you questioning RKs mental abilities? Arent you always jumping on us shouting bully everytime someone says Benning looks and acts a fool?

Of course not. If I asked you whether you can read and comprehend Russian, do you think I was questioning your mental abilities?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
All the Canucks UFA signings will have a ripple effect for Utica, and some good young players are likely to suit up to start the season there....Boeser is about the only AHL-eligible prospect with a chance to start the year in VanCity.

And looking at the blueline, it's entirely possible that one of Biega/Wiercioch clears waivers and starts the year in Utica as well.....and with Archie back and LaBate signed, things are starting to shape up.

If the Comets go out and sign another veteran d-man or two like Colby Robak and guys like Megna and Chaput end up in the AHL, the Comets should be competitive if nothing else.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
All the Canucks UFA signings will have a ripple effect for Utica, and some good young players are likely to suit up to start the season there....Boeser is about the only AHL-eligible prospect with a chance to start the year in VanCity.

And looking at the blueline, it's entirely possible that one of Biega/Wiercioch clears waivers and starts the year in Utica as well.....and with Archie back and LaBate signed, things are starting to shape up.

If the Comets go out and sign another veteran d-man or two like Colby Robak and guys like Megna and Chaput end up in the AHL, the Comets should be competitive if nothing else.

You can't discount Molino or Goldobin completely. Both made their NHL debuts last season so if they outplay Boeser/someone else during camp, they might make the team. After all, its a great PR opportunity if a prospects has a great camp and make the team.

Of course if someone else makes the team, it also means someone else will be waived and if they clear, they'll be in Utica. Beside Gaunce and maybe Broucher, i don't see any other borderline player who needs to clear waiver be of much interest to another team (and i guess Biega might draw a little interest depending on which other Ds are on waiver).

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Imo Biega would be of interest to another team. He looked decent at forward so he's the ideal 23rd roster player.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You can't discount Molino or Goldobin completely. Both made their NHL debuts last season so if they outplay Boeser/someone else during camp, they might make the team.
I think it might be a stretch for both to make the team (though it might just indicate how weak the Canucks...).

Of course not. If I asked you whether you can read and comprehend Russian, do you think I was questioning your mental abilities?

For some reason, the following scene from the movie "The Great Escape" came to mind when I read this...

:laugh:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I think it might be a stretch for both to make the team (though it might just indicate how weak the Canucks...).

:

Long shot forsure but the possibility is there. Also i think Molino is like Stecher last years. Fans really underrated him and even ranked him below Subban as a prospect during the prospect polls last year (7v8).

Not saying Molino will make the same level of impact but he is going under a lot of radars just like Stecher last year.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I am beginning to question the Confirmed with Link "Canucks re-sign F Darren Archibald to AHL contract." That was on 7/7, the same day that LaBate got a 2-way. I put it off to the Boilermaker hubbub, but it's now 7/10 and not a whisper in the paper, the Comets' site, nor the KTV or UTR sportscasts. I'm thinking maybe somebody jumped the gun.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I am beginning to question the Confirmed with Link "Canucks re-sign F Darren Archibald to AHL contract." That was on 7/7, the same day that LaBate got a 2-way. I put it off to the Boilermaker hubbub, but it's now 7/10 and not a whisper in the paper, the Comets' site, nor the KTV or UTR sportscasts. I'm thinking maybe somebody jumped the gun.

Rick Dhaliwal has been spot on with his information and has become the most reliable source among the Vancouver media. I don't doubt the accuracy of this information one bit.

This is my take on it. Even though this is an AHL contract it is still being negotiated with Benning and his underlings in Vancouver since they control 100% of the hockey operations of the Comets. Rick Dhaliwal has his sources in Vancouver that would have confirmed the signing. However because this is an AHL contract the official announcement is made by the Comets in Utica and since Archie is a big fan favorite they probably want to make a big splash and are waiting until after the Boilermaker weekend in Utica. I'm sure the Comets would have preferred that the signing wasn't leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad