The Utica Comets Thread | Part 40 | RIP 2016-2017 Comets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Actually there is correlation with the amount of money a team makes and the players they end up signing. Like it or not, Hockey is a business and even minor league hockey is a business. The main objective of a business is almost always making money. The more money a business makes, the more likely you'll invest in said business.

Take Utica for example, if the team sells out every game regardless of how much you put into the business, would it make sense to put in more money or the same amount? You can't make additional money by investing more on the team. That's why it operates like a small market team.

No i'm not suggesting its that simple because the other part of a minor league team is development. But development is one of the reasons i think we should move the team closer. Its not just me since other GMs have stated the want the team closer just so they can keep better track of their prospects. Most NHL teams have their AHL teams close for this reason. That's the main reason for the west expansion/recent relocations.

Back on the argument of money... you'll notice teams that generally have more of the higher end AHL players being the teams that draw the most fans. Namely Hershey (#1 the last few years), Chicago, and Grand Rapids. Providence was #4 last year and they signed probably the biggest AHLer this off season Agostino who was with Chicago.

Basically there is a direct correlation between the amount of money a AHL team and how much money an NHL team spends on the AHL. I'm not saying its not Bennings job to ice an AHL team nor he hasn't done a good job replacing players. I'm saying Benning will likely spend less on the AHL team when the AHL makes less money than say if the AHL team was in Chicago or a bigger market that's making more money.

Plus this year, he actually did sign quite a few players... meaning via trickle down effect, Utica should have more depth than they ever had. Of course if you're a glass half empty type of person, i guess you could say this is for show so Benning can get a better relocation deal out west... :laugh:

Side note since i didn't want to quote BG's post to make this much long than it needs to be... would you rather have T.J. Hensick or Darren Archibald? Realistically, Comets could only sign probably 1 more "vet" forward given its likely there's already 4 pencil'd in the opening day line-up. Even if you think about a possible rotation, remember there is also the possibility of say Gaunce or Broucher being sent down (and the possibility of them clearing waivers). From a management point of view, it probably makes more sense to sign a veteran after they get claim vs before and having 8 or 9 veterans (basically paying money for them to watch hockey). Not to mention, the player's agent likely would see this situation and suggest they sign elsewhere on a team that has less vets than Utica. I.e. Robak was signed last year after the season started and if Gaunce/Broucher doesn't clear waivers, you can make the argument that Benning should sign *insert UFA vet here* then. Right now, its a bit premature to suggest he should sign a 7th or 8th vet (which if you count Archibald + 1 D vet, is the case).

Also as i suggest via my line-up expectations earlier, there really isn't any spots to fill in Utica... At least from a developmental point of view and assuming at least 4 players (that ended the year in Vancouver) will end up in Utica (filling 4 of the top 6 spots with Archibald and Virtanen filling the other 2). That also means there would be 2 vets in the bottom 6 (Hamilton/Bancks) and of course returning players like LaBate, Cassels, Carcone filling out the rest of the bottom 6.

There could be a debate on which D to sign but i wouldn't expect more than 1 D and i wouldn't even be surprised if no vet D is signed (that includes no Robak). Reason being that although Pedan and Subban don't "qualify" as vets, they have been pros for multiple seasons. Holm is also an older "rookie" with professional (tho European) experience. Brisebois is someone the organization seems to be high on so the top 4 is really more or less set without any additions and thats with Pedan likely being on the bottom pairing. Again note i'm saying i wouldn't be surprised and the reasoning for that... Personally i would rather we sign Robak just to make sure we have extra depth due to the simple reason Vancouver always lose 2 D within the first 2 months of the season. Just stating the reasoning for not doing so and its a logical reason since if the team ends up being healthy, you're just wasting resources.

I'm thinking the Canucks need to wait and see whom makes the big club. Too many senarios going on.

They also have the ability to pickup a waiver claim or two for the Canucks which would force another player or two down to Utica, but unlikely being at 47 contracts. There are always good players available.

Also aquiring a player or two "on loan". There is no way St Louis is going to be able to fit all their prospects into Chicago with Vegas in there....... Could be an option....

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

A very interesting article: thanks for posting.

My guess is that one of the players they're predicting will be on the opening night Canucks roster will be injured, and another one of them will be risked on waivers to make room for Boeser, who will earn a spot with he big club. So, two of the players they're penciling in for the Comets right now will in fact be with the Canucks -- Boeser and one more. (I'm not saying that the article says that's not going to happen.)

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dorsett retired before the start of the regular season.

Yes I've seen this article and it is an interesting read but to quote from it...

Remember, this is just a hypothetical experiment, and one that relies on the fairly unrealistic and unlikely event that the Canucks open the season in perfect health. But, on the off chance that that were to come to fruition, I think we’ll see a very formidable offence down on the farm. It’s not necessarily going to be one of the AHL’s best, but put against the impotent offences throughout Utica’s brief history as Vancouver’s affiliate, this could be the most potent offence that the Comets have ever had.

This assumption includes Derek Dorsett who played 14 NHL games and Anton Rodin who played 3 and hasn't started skating yet to be healthy and be on the opening day roster. It also assumes that Dahlen will play in Utica rather than in Sweden with is friend and fellow Canucks prospect Elias Pettersson. Both of these assumptions are highly unlikely to occur. And let's be honest what is the probability that both Boeser and Goldobin get assigned to Utica even if that is the best thing for their development?

Vancouver/Utica are one of about five organizations at last count that have not announced a single player signing specifically targeted for the farm since free agency opened up. What is the plan if injuries start to pile up again as they have the past two seasons? Is it a matter of rolling the dice and betting that 7 comes up this time because the last two seasons they rolled an 8?

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Yes I've seen this article and it is an interesting read but to quote from it...

Remember, this is just a hypothetical experiment, and one that relies on the fairly unrealistic and unlikely event that the Canucks open the season in perfect health. But, on the off chance that that were to come to fruition, I think we’ll see a very formidable offence down on the farm. It’s not necessarily going to be one of the AHL’s best, but put against the impotent offences throughout Utica’s brief history as Vancouver’s affiliate, this could be the most potent offence that the Comets have ever had.

This assumption includes Derek Dorsett who played 14 NHL games and Anton Rodin who played 3 and hasn't started skating yet to be healthy and be on the opening day roster. It also assumes that Dahlen will play in Utica rather than in Sweden with is friend and fellow Canucks prospect Elias Pettersson. Both of these assumptions are highly unlikely to occur. And let's be honest what is the probability that both Boeser and Goldobin get assigned to Utica even if that is the best thing for their development?

Vancouver/Utica are one of about five organizations at last count that have not announced a single player signing specifically targeted for the farm since free agency opened up. What is the plan if injuries start to pile up again as they have the past two seasons? Is it a matter of rolling the dice and betting that 7 comes up this time because the last two seasons they rolled an 8?
The overall problem remains that they are at 47 contracts.... Maybe they sign one guy, claim one on waivers and that puts them at 49....

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The overall problem remains that they are at 47 contracts.... Maybe they sign one guy, claim one on waivers and that puts them at 49....

Sign Archibald, Robak and Hensick to AHL contracts before someone else does and it solves the lack of depth and mentorship issues. I'm sure each of them want two way NHL contracts but with each passing day the chances of them getting one decreases and all are coming off AHL contracts. There have been a few quality players signed to AHL contracts already so anyone saying it's too early I would counter that is not a good excuse.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
Kerfoot still hasn't signed with New Jersey and he's been linked to Vancouver for a while. He'll be a free agent next month, but I wonder if things change with him after free agency. Before it was a land of opportunity, now there's a lot of extra bodies on the depth chart.

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2017/06/11/new-jersey-devils-basically-giving-alexander-kerfoot/

His dad owns the Whitecaps.

If he's a bona fide prospect, then he shouldn't be afraid of competition for a roster spot. If he can't push Megna, Chaput, Labate or Cassells down the depth chart, then you don't want him anyway.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Kerfoot still hasn't signed with New Jersey and he's been linked to Vancouver for a while. He'll be a free agent next month, but I wonder if things change with him after free agency. Before it was a land of opportunity, now there's a lot of extra bodies on the depth chart.

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2017/06/11/new-jersey-devils-basically-giving-alexander-kerfoot/

His dad owns the Whitecaps.

I believe NJD already gave up on him so its really just a waiting game for Aug. 15 then seeing where he wants to go.

Of course things could change between now and Aug. 15 but i would be surprised if he signed with the Devils before then. Doesn't mean he'll sign with us but it should at least mean we get a chance.

If he's a bona fide prospect, then he shouldn't be afraid of competition for a roster spot. If he can't push Megna, Chaput, Labate or Cassells down the depth chart, then you don't want him anyway.

If thats the theory should Pettersson be on the roster next year? Stecher, for example, started the year in Utica and its likely that if we sign Kerfoot he'll start there. He might get an opportunity as an injury replacement during the season but realistically he'll likely need to EARN his spot with his play in Utica. Of course that's assuming we sign him.

Also remember asset management... Kerfoot doesn't need to clear waivers so if its a tie, in terms of asset management you will send Kerfoot down because you won't risk losing another asset.

Finally his competition wouldn't be Cassels or Labate anyways. Unless you're huge fans of either player, i doubt too many 'nucks fan think either have any shot at making the roster. Chaput and Megna could be competition but i think most fans are going the direction of both NOT making the team. After all, they were originally signed for Utica and we made quite a few additions this year that should in theory bump them down the depth chart.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Sign Archibald, Robak and Hensick to AHL contracts before someone else does and it solves the lack of depth and mentorship issues. I'm sure each of them want two way NHL contracts but with each passing day the chances of them getting one decreases and all are coming off AHL contracts. There have been a few quality players signed to AHL contracts already so anyone saying it's too early I would counter that is not a good excuse.

Just because there have been others who signed to AHL contracts instead of 2 way contracts doesn't mean the players you mention are looking for AHL contracts rather than holding out for NHL contracts and trying to find a better situations for themselves. You can't just assume everyone will do whatever you want... the players actually need to be interested to sign the deal.

Hensick had a decent year so he'll likely look to cash in on a 2 way deal. The last time he had a good year (60 pts in 75 games with the bulldogs), he got 250k/600k 2 way deal. After a bad run with Charlotte (and a good 20 games with Utica), he was stuck with an AHL contract and performed 52 pts/67 games. That likely is good enough to get him paid 200k+ and probably command a 2 way deal (for whatever reason anyone who gets paid a decent AHL salary seem to be on a 2 way deal although i can't find any limit to AHL contracts... even if that play is not likely to ever play for the NHL team). Also like i mentioned, there likely isn't an initial spot in the top 6 for him unless you remove Archibald and that's really the role he has filled the last few seasons.

Archibald had the best year of his career so far so he'll probably look for a 2 way contract as well. After all if his line-mates got 2 way NHL contracts and he was arguably the best player on the line, why shouldn't he get a 2 way contract? And i do agree that i hope he gets resigned and i'm guessing one of the remaining contract slots might go to him or we might try to trade a useless contract away to make a slot for him depending on rather or not we sign anyone else.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Remember there's 13 forwards there already on the NHL roster, which is likely the number we carry to start the season. Unless someone goes on IR, that leaves the other players out. Like i mention, Molino was NOT mentioned in the arcticle so its a quick article, not an exact configuration or an exact list released by the team. Its just like a regular fan post but also a post backed up with data/stats.

Also remember there is no Archibald in that list and the author (Jeremy Davis) did hope Archibald resigns. If he resigns, he'll likely slot into the top 6 anyways so even if Dahlen isn't there, his replacement is right there (or Molino, who i believe can be a top 6 LW/C in the AHL next season).

As far as injury replacement goes, its not very likely a team will use resources to get injury replacements for a minor league team before the season even started just because someone might get hurt... I guess if you expect that, you might want to cheer for the Chicago Wolves... since they'll have the benefits of 2 teams sending them players next season. :laugh: Its just not a realistic expectations for Benning or any NHL GM to focus on. AHL GM might look for injury replacement in advance but its also unlikely they target top 6 players to be injury replacements/7th vet nor likely those players will sign unless a) the team over pays b) the team is the GSW of the NBA... (aka almost 100% chance they win the championship next season) c) they w ant to go home and finish their career (not likely the case in Utica right now)

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I was thinking of the comets. Finland is good spot for Palmu.

Being honest, his chances of making the Comets can't be higher than say 50/50 (if not lower). You would assume a 20 yr old rookie won't be given a top 6 role (unless he's a high pick) or plays exceptionally well (meaning its pretty unlikely). If you look at the Comet's bottom 6, you're likely looking @ Hamilton and Bancks. Labate and Cassel are likely going to be locks for the bottom 6 too and Carcone (unless he somehow gets into the top 6) is probably close to a lock. That leaves 1 spot for just about everyone else (ATO, other players like MacEwen and maybe Molino (depending on how you view him... rather top 6 Utica, bottom 6 nucks or bottom 6 Utica). There's also borderline AHLers like Laplante competing for the same spot and of course ATOs that likely will be signed sometime before the start of the season.

Also checking via Google, it looks like the Finnish league starts in Aug so its not like he could try out for Utica then leave if he doesn't make the team. Unless management feels like he's likely to make Utica, it does make a lot of sense to just head over to Europe for a year or 2.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Like some others I'm happy to see that the Canucks have acquired some depth. That is likely to help the Comets.

Otoh, like some others I'm disappointed at the lack of signings of decent AHL veterans for the Comets. It is all well and good to say more players than the Canucks can use means there will be some good players on the Comets, but if Boeser and Goldobin make the Canucks and they lose a player or two on waivers, then the effect of all these signings on the Comets won't be very much. Further, if the Comets or Canucks don't sign Archibald and Robak or players of similar quality and a couple of other decent AHL players, it could be a long AHL season.

People point to the contract limit and the Canucks have 47 contracts at present, of which the only one with any likelihood of sliding is Juolevi's. As Benning kept the team at 45 contracts most of last season, I don't think we're likely to see any more NHL signings this summer. So while I'm happy enough with the July 1 signings, it seems to me that there are a number of useless contracts on the books, some of them likely to be useless even at the time they were signed and those contracts are, as some have previously predicted, an impediment to providing the Comets with some good veterans.

At this stage the Comets could have a pretty decent season if they sign a few good AHL players, but unfortunately I don't think we'll see much action in that regard.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Like some others I'm happy to see that the Canucks have acquired some depth. That is likely to help the Comets.

Otoh, like some others I'm disappointed at the lack of signings of decent AHL veterans for the Comets. It is all well and good to say more players than the Canucks can use means there will be some good players on the Comets, but if Boeser and Goldobin make the Canucks and they lose a player or two on waivers, then the effect of all these signings on the Comets won't be very much. Further, if the Comets or Canucks don't sign Archibald and Robak or players of similar quality and a couple of other decent AHL players, it could be a long AHL season.

People point to the contract limit and the Canucks have 47 contracts at present, of which the only one with any likelihood of sliding is Juolevi's. As Benning kept the team at 45 contracts most of last season, I don't think we're likely to see any more NHL signings this summer. So while I'm happy enough with the July 1 signings, it seems to me that there are a number of useless contracts on the books, some of them likely to be useless even at the time they were signed and those contracts are, as some have previously predicted, an impediment to providing the Comets with some good veterans.

At this stage the Comets could have a pretty decent season if they sign a few good AHL players, but unfortunately I don't think we'll see much action in that regard.

I agree with everything you said especially the bold part. I shake my head every time a forum poster says that they like having a "free asset" when Vancouver gives an ELC to some overage undrafted long shot. The free asset tying up a valuable NHL contract for three years when often they could have first been signed to a one year prove your worth AHL contract is not good asset management.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I agree with everything you said especially the bold part. I shake my head every time a forum poster says that they like having a "free asset" when Vancouver gives an ELC to some overage undrafted long shot. The free asset tying up a valuable NHL contract for three years when often they could have first been signed to a one year prove your worth AHL contract is not good asset management.

Problem is not everyone is willing to take an AHL contract. Remember in the case of someone who has some potential, odds are there will be more than 1 team after that players services. All it takes is one team to offer a 2 way deal to more or less take AHL off the table for that player.

Even someone Grenier and Valk got 2 way deals this off season so is it fair to assume that Archibald can be had for an AHL deal when most would agree he was a better player last season?

Now don't get me wrong, some of the contracts given out were bad and i don't agree with them at all. I.e. i have no idea why Stewart got a contract but if you look at some of the other "free" prospects, you'll see its unlikely any of them would be satisfied with a AHL contract. Carcone had a 47g/89pt year in his final Jr. season. Not overage season either. You really think there wouldn't be at least one other team wanting him on a 2 way deal? There were suppose to be multiple teams interested in Holm, including the Blackhawks, do you really think he wouldn't get a 2 way deal elsewhere? MacEwen reportedly had interest from Toronto as well as many other teams so same argument...

You can make that case for just about everyone of the UDFA signed. Its a free asset that cost a contract slot... that's just how it works. As a 'nuck fan, i would rather we spend contracts on prospects vs AHL journeymen. Even Laplante was a former 3rd round pick so you can see why management might want to take a shot at him (not that i agree with that, just the reasoning behind it/giving him a NHL contract).

Going back farther, the blog you listed earlier (http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.ca/2017/06/2017-18-ahl-free-agent-tracker.html?m=1 ), pretty much everyone there signed NHL deals so again top AHL journeymen require NHL contracts so it goes back to the contract limit since you can't really sign them to AHL deals. You can probably sign players like Hamilton/Bancks to AHL deals but does Utica really benefit from having more "grinders"? Some of the players not signed yet night be holding out for better offers (i.e. 2 way contract vs AHL contract). Again i point to Grenier, who many Comets fan agree we should move on from/want an upgrade for... even he got a 2 way contract. If you're working as an agent for a player like Grenier, you will point to the fact he got a 2 way contract and demand the exact same thing.

Speaking of "overage long shot", what would you call Valk? A 24 year old with 1 decent AHL season? I do think he deserve an ELC and guess what he got from Flordia? an ELC..

As far as waivers goes, i agree that Gaunce and Boucher could be claimed but i really don't see any teams interested in Megna/Chaput. The fact every team will be putting players on waivers at the start of the season makes it even less likely any of them gets claim. That's also why from an asset management point of view, its possible that both Boeser and Goldobin start the year in Utica... since they don't need to clear waivers vs Boucher/Gaunce. The same reason i have Holm (sight unseen) in Utica instead of Biega (who has to clear)... which is also the exact same reason why Stecher started last season in Utica despite being one of the best D during training camp/preseason.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Here are 3 posts from page 2 of this thread. 2 of them are mine. Read the first.
8 guys from Chicago to illustrate the Chicago high spending:
Butler @ 350k
Agozzino @ 225k
Malone @ 250k
Ellis 150k
McNeill 150k
Friesen 150k
Ferraro 275k
Carson 250k
Total - $16,500,000

7 guys from the Comets to illustrate the "failure of the Canucks" (according to you) to be willing to pay the $:
Megna 600k
Chaput 225
Bachman 575k
Billins 225k
Nilsson 200k
Rendulic 200k
Grenier 125k
Total - $21,500,000 (To get 8 guys add Pedan or Z who each make $100k)

I'm missing something?

The key is obviously to spend the money on the better guys. The salaries are usually close to commensurate when added up. 2 of the 300k-350k vets (Sanguinetti dollars) would have been better than Megna at $600,000. You could have had 4 Chaput level guys for the price of Megna and Chaput and included Chaput in the mix. Nillson's 200k could have been spent much better. The guy wasn't worth the ELC 70k. There are better D vets at 225k than Billins. Better management (Henning) brings in better players than poor management (??? Weisbrod?, Johnson?)

The Aud holds 3860 and has sold out 88 straight home games.

TODAY'S UPDATE -
Again we see posts stating that Vancouver can't afford to bring in the $ vets because "small market Utica" can't bring in enough profit to merit the expense. This issue was brought up before and Chicago was used as the example then as well. I showed in this post weeks ago that is BS. Vancouver actually actually spent more than Chicago on their vets, but they didn't get the quality that $ should have purchased.

First off, it doesn't matter what Utica makes because it is incumbent upon Vancouver to provide their prospects with players that are best suited to help them progress. Every team in the NHL knows that is their job and the profit factor of their AHL club is not a factor. It is part of the expense they write into the annual budget in order to facilitate the development of their prospects. If they are taking a huge hit (Vancouver is not. They negotiated a price a Utica has met that $ line every season.), then they have the option to seek another arrangement. Utica has been very good for the Canucks. There has been a total of 1 game where a call-up was not possible on a game day at noonish. I believe it was when the mumps were hitting and this player in question proved not to be game ready due to an injury the night before and WD felt he would be ready and overrode the call to Utica. He would have been there if Willie hadn't opted to wait and see, so Biega played forward. Jimbo is able to cone to Utica when he pleases. He has traveled the globe to watch players, yet you feel he can't get to Utica. Is it a longer ride? Yup. Can he get here for a game on the same day if he leaves in the morning? Yup. Maybe having his guy here for the majority of the games would answer this issue a la Lorne Henning. He was a mainstay in the Utica Aud.

Yes, the job the Canucks have done is an embarrassment and has been ever since they let Henning go.

"But it does take time to build a competent farm team."
The Canucks had a competent farm team in 2014-15. It didn't take them much time to destroy it. It's easier to build a competent farm team in a fairly short time than it is to build an NHL team, because a large part of the success of an AHL team is veteran AHL players who are available as free agents every summer.

"Next year you'll be seeing some players from the 2015 draft."
There isn't a lot of help coming from the 2015 draft.
1st round-Boeser-What do you think the chances are that Benning will keep his shiny new marketing tool in the AHL?
2nd round-no pick
3rd round-Brisebois. At least he's good enough to hope he'll be a competent AHL player as a rookie.
4th round-Zhukenov-There was a rumour posted recently that he'll go to the KHL. Even if he doesn't, he's an undersized forward barely scoring 1 ppg in the QMJHL and is well behind his team's leading scorer-another 2015-4th round pick who has 80 pts and is + 30 in 53 games while Zhukenov has 65 pts and is -17 in 64 games. Of course, in any case a kid may turn out but at this stage it's a question mark whether Zhukenov is worth an NHL contract.
5th round-Carl Neill-scores well but there has been considerable speculation the Canucks won't offer him a contract. He's not expected to be anything special at the AHL level.
-Gaudette-reports have him returning to university next season.
6th round-Lucas Jasek-Canucks may sign him and play him in the AHL. He could be anywhere from hopeless to excellent. So far he's been really good in junior and totally unproductive in the Czech Republic League.
7th round-Tate Olson-probably worth a contract, at least an AHL contract.

The AHL is largely populated by mid and low round picks who are now veterans, with a sprinkling of free agents and a few higher round picks. Wilkes-Barre has two former first rounders playing on defence. That group coming in from the 2015 draft may not be hopeless but it isn't anything special, either. Much as NHL fans love to watch the prospects on the AHL team, the new rookies don't play as much of a role as they can in the NHL. The best drafted players jump from junior to the NHL, either as 18 or 19 year olds, so the rookies that the AHL gets are generally 20+ years old and not better than the AHL vets.

TODAY'S UPDATE
Laet's take a look at this list.
1- Boeser. People are saying with the recent free agent signings that Boeser will start the season in Utica. I don't believe for a second that Jimbo will let his shiniest new toy get out of Vancouver. He will sell tickets. If he is here, it will be another Stecher moment. A handful of games, Vancouver injury or not, and he'll be a Canuck.

He is a 1st rounder and he is older, so if he makes the roster, it would be understandable.
My opinion. No Comets.

2- doesn't exist. No Comets.

3- Brisebois will make the Comets.

4- Zhukenov has signed in Russia. No Comets.

5- Carl Neill won't be offered a contract. No Comets.

6- Jasek has signed to play in the Czech Republic. No Comets.

7- Tate Olson won't be offered a contract. No Comets.

Well that list worked out well. 1/7 with an extreme wild card floating in the wind.

Look. I don't know what anyone is trying to prove here. An AHL team can't play more than 6 veterans in a game. A veteran is a player who has logged 261 games in any combination of AHL, NHL, or European pro leagues (ECHL does not count) as of the date of the first game of the season. If it's 260 on day 1, his veteran status won't start until the next season. The amount of money that can be spent on those vets is usually influenced by the number of prospects that team has as they make 70k max and many make less. Thus, the more prospects you have the more you can spend on the rest if your management is pinching pennies. If they are not squeezing every dollar there is no ceiling on what they can pay players.

When you have few prospects and your 6 vets the rest come from tweener aged players. They have used up their ELCs, but are still signed as RFAs a la Zalewski, Grenier, and Pedan. Then you have those who have been discarded by the parent club, Archibald, or other teams and get picked up as free agents. Then there are the unsigned guys who are not vets, but get signed to SPC AHL contracts like Valk. Lastly you have the cheaper vets like Hamilton and Bancks who get SPC AHL contracts as role players who also help guys to understand what being a pro entails.

All of these types not under contract to the parent club are available every summer as most only get one-yr contracts. The NHL teams who deem the farm as important to their organization as both a development program and depth for themselves seek the best they can acquire. It is that simple. It's not hard to build a team you simply have to want to do it and hire someone to get it done and then oversee it throughout the season, assess the talent, and fill in needs where they arise. Thus, Toronto recently went out and acquired O'Reilly because they were desperate for a center. Benning acknowledged the Comets didn't have a play making center months ago and that was hampering Jake's progress, but did nothing to address the issue. That's an example of the difference in those who actually care about the farm vs those who simply have one. Henning did it. Henning was fired. No one has really been all that concerned since. You can color code it and sugar coat it all you want. That's just poor management from the top down, plain and simple.

TODAY'S UPDATE

This is pretty much the same. Most AHL teams have locked up the best vets already. Vancouver has not signed one vet at this moment.
Utica has 2 under contract for this season on the second year of 2-year contracts:

Wacey Hamilton
Carter Bancks

It appears (and Benning could surprise us) that Jim is waiting until camp breaks and it decided who will be cut down to the Comets. If those guys are vets, and pass through waivers they become Utica vets. We know these guys to be Biega, Chaput, Megna, Boucher, Wiercioch, Burmistrov. Pedan does not count as a vet, but will still have to pass as well. Then there's Bachman who as a goalie doesn't count as a vet, but he also has to get through waivers. This happens every season on all NHL teams, but players do get claimed every season. Vancouver has lost a vet in the past 2 seasons when placing them on waivers. No reason it can't happen again.

The point here is that we don't know who will be sent down nor what position they play. With only 2 vets under contract and the good ones disappearing fast, if Jim waits until October to look for AHL vets for the Comets. the closet will be pretty much empty. If he picks up a waived guy and then tries to send him down waivers occur all over again. Boucher was waived by NJ a couple times and NJ took him back again when the teams who claimed him tried to assign him to their AHL club. This is not how you prepare to stock your minor league affiliate.

ADDENDUM
As of now the following guys have been or are now eligible to play in the AHL based on the rules of Canadian Juniors or are U.S. and European players who did not play Canadian juniors.

1 Nikita Tryamkin (22) - Played for the Canucks and refused to report to Utica when asked to go down for a conditioning stint. Opted to re-sign in the KHLafter 1 full NHL season.
2 Gustav Forsling (21) - Traded, but has already played 38 games for the Blackhawks.
3 Thatcher Demko (21) - A Utica Comet.
4 Mackenze Stewart (21) - Sucks. ECHL.
5 Adam Gaudette (20) - NCAA Northeastern, 3rd season.
6 Brock Boeser (20) - Will be pro this season. Some say he will be a Comet. I say he will likely be a Canuck. Would love to be shocked, but the kid is good.
7 Dmitri Zhukenov (20) - KHL
8 Lukas Jasek (19) - Czech Republic
9 Jared McCann (21) - Traded. Has played 99 NHL games.
10 Jake Virtanen - A Utica Comet unless he knocks the sox out of preseason.
11 Kyle Petit (21) - Not given a contract.
12 Carl Neill (21)- Not given a contract.
13 William Lockwood (19) - NCAA Michigan, 2nd season.
14 Rodrigo Abols (21) - SHL
15 Guillaume Brisebois (20) - About to become a Utica Comet.
16 Tate Olson (20) - Not given a contract.
17 Jakob Stukel (20) - Going back to Jrs.
18 Brett McKenzie (20) - Hasn't been offered a contract.
19 Elias Petersson (18) - SHL
20 Kristoffer Gunnarsson (20) - SHL
21 Dominik Lakatos (20) - Czech Republic
22 Jonathan Dahlen (19, but turns 20 in December) - Undecided some say. He has the free pass back to Sweden if he doesn't make the Canucks. I say he takes it.

That's 22 elegible to play in the AHL. Of these 22, 2 were traded and a third opted to leave the team.
That makes 19. The Canucks have opted not to sign 4 of these.
That leaves 15. Two of these are in U.S. universities.
That leaves 14. 2 have elected to remain in the Czech Republic.
That leaves 12. Along with Tryamkin another has opted to play in the KHL.
That leaves 10. One is returning to Jrs.
That leaves 9. One is so bad that if he makes the Comets, it tells us the sorry state of affairs that exist in Utica.
That leaves 8. 3 have apparently elected to play in the SHL though one is stated to maybe be coming over. Right now that's 3 in the SHL.
That leaves 5. Dahlen has a get out of Vancouver free card. If he doesn't make the big club he can just pack his bags and go back to the SHL.

Both Nylanders came straight to the AHL with outs for the world Jrs. They were #1 picks and their talent level was pro quality. Petersson and Dahlen have that quality right now as well. They know the Nylanders and saw what they did. By playing in the AHL at 18 Willie got himself a partial NHL gig at 19 and a full time job at 20. Alex notched 28 points (10 goals) on a far inferior Rochester team than Willie's Toronto Marlies were. Alex looked far from out of place. I see no reason not to get Jonathan and Elias into the NA swing of things right now. Add them to Goldobin, Virtanen, and Boeser, with Megna and Chaput to round out the top 6 and the Comets have something going. Up and coming D in the person of Subban, McEneny, and Brisebois combined with a couple older guys to lock things down and the Comets look like the Marlies did 2 seasons ago and then all these guys move up in a season or two with Gaudette and Lockwood added to the mix next season. I think I'd give Olli one season with his future young team mates. You still have the likes of Gunnarsson, Gadjovich, and Lind among others in the pipeline. This would be a great way to grow the kids while the top club treads water through a rebuild and gets a real good one again in next year's draft to add to the mix for a season. then in 2019-20 you mix them in with Marky, Stecher, Hutton, Horvat, Baertschi, Rodin, and whatever else exists there as a base. Don't know if you want to still have Sutter and Eriksson hanging around, but you will still have to have a few older guys. Tanev would not be out of the question to help out, but he may get them another #1 so we'll have to wait on that one.

Nah, they don't want to do that. Lou Lam, Shanny, and Babcock have no idea what they are doing. Jim has a much better plan.

There are 4 left and only 2 have been Comets to date, Demko and Virtanen.
That leaves 2. Brisebois will be a Comet and Boeser is maybe a 20% chance of being a Comet.

That's 3 players out of the 22 who will be Comets this year, one of whom played for the Canucks at 19 when not ready and is now trying to recover with the Comets after a not so illustrious 1st year in Utica. He's 20 so I haven't quit on him just yet.

This is a pretty poor result form 22 eligible players.

Last edited:

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
8 guys from Chicago to illustrate the Chicago high spending:
Butler @ 350k
Agozzino @ 225k
Malone @ 250k
Ellis 150k
McNeill 150k
Friesen 150k
Ferraro 275k
Carson 250k
Total - $16,500,000

7 guys from the Comets to illustrate the "failure of the Canucks" (according to you) to be willing to pay the $:
Megna 600k
Chaput 225
Bachman 575k
Billins 225k
Nilsson 200k
Rendulic 200k
Grenier 125k
Total - $21,500,000 (To get 8 guys add Pedan or Z who each make $100k)

I'm missing something?

The key is obviously to spend the money on the better guys. The salaries are usually close to commensurate when added up. 2 of the 300k-350k vets (Sanguinetti dollars) would have been better than Megna at $600,000. You could have had 4 Chaput level guys for the price of Megna and Chaput and included Chaput in the mix. Nillson's 200k could have been spent much better. The guy wasn't worth the ELC 70k. There are better D vets at 225k than Billins. Better management (Henning) brings in better players than poor management (??? Weisbrod?, Johnson?)

The Aud holds 3860 and has sold out 88 straight home games.

Yes, the job the Canucks have done is an embarrassment and has been ever since they let Henning go.

"But it does take time to build a competent farm team."
The Canucks had a competent farm team in 2014-15. It didn't take them much time to destroy it. It's easier to build a competent farm team in a fairly short time than it is to build an NHL team, because a large part of the success of an AHL team is veteran AHL players who are available as free agents every summer.

"Next year you'll be seeing some players from the 2015 draft."
There isn't a lot of help coming from the 2015 draft.
1st round-Boeser-What do you think the chances are that Benning will keep his shiny new marketing tool in the AHL?
2nd round-no pick
3rd round-Brisebois. At least he's good enough to hope he'll be a competent AHL player as a rookie.
4th round-Zhukenov-There was a rumour posted recently that he'll go to the KHL. Even if he doesn't, he's an undersized forward barely scoring 1 ppg in the QMJHL and is well behind his team's leading scorer-another 2015-4th round pick who has 80 pts and is + 30 in 53 games while Zhukenov has 65 pts and is -17 in 64 games. Of course, in any case a kid may turn out but at this stage it's a question mark whether Zhukenov is worth an NHL contract.
5th round-Carl Neill-scores well but there has been considerable speculation the Canucks won't offer him a contract. He's not expected to be anything special at the AHL level.
-Gaudette-reports have him returning to university next season.
6th round-Lucas Jasek-Canucks may sign him and play him in the AHL. He could be anywhere from hopeless to excellent. So far he's been really good in junior and totally unproductive in the Czech Republic League.
7th round-Tate Olson-probably worth a contract, at least an AHL contract.

The AHL is largely populated by mid and low round picks who are now veterans, with a sprinkling of free agents and a few higher round picks. Wilkes-Barre has two former first rounders playing on defence. That group coming in from the 2015 draft may not be hopeless but it isn't anything special, either. Much as NHL fans love to watch the prospects on the AHL team, the new rookies don't play as much of a role as they can in the NHL. The best drafted players jump from junior to the NHL, either as 18 or 19 year olds, so the rookies that the AHL gets are generally 20+ years old and not better than the AHL vets.

A couple things kinda skewed the numbers.

First Chicago players were intended for Chicago where as Utica's signings were duo purposes. It was no secret Chaput and Megna was signed to be depth and initially in Utica + being injury replacement. That's why Megna's deal was 1 way... it was never intended for him to spend the entire year in Utica (nor the entire year in Vancouver).

Bachman was a bridge 3rd goalie and resigned because of expansion draft reasons. Not that i agree with giving him a 1 way/2 year deal initially but that's another story. (just like i wasn't a fan of signing Miller). Basically he was signed as insurance after Miller got hurt and we decided to move Lack (meaning there really wouldn't be a 3rd goalie anywhere near ready and Miller being an injury risk given age and recent injury). Take out those 2x 1 way deals and what do you end up with? Even just removing Megna's contract will flip the numbers around.

Also note that Butler salary was actually 375k not 350k (his 2 way contract is 350k but Wolves guaranteed 375k). Also if you want to include Megna as part of Utica's hit, then i guess you need to include Paajarvi for Chicago (he played more games for the Wolves than Megna/Chaput for the Comets). :laugh: Brad Hunt also had a 2 way contract that paid him 400k in Chicago. Even Rattie ended up playing 20+ games in Chicago. Those 3 alone add up to more than what you have in Chicago...

As far as draft goes, yeah Utica hasn't gotten much help there and it doesn't look like they will get more anytime soon. Is that ideal? Nope but its also a sign that maybe the organization has more faith in development outside the organization or less faith in Utica doing a good job developing prospects. After all Dahlen, who is signed, is still likely to return to the SHL. Multiple other prospects (as mentioned in this thread) are headed to Europe instead of the AHL.

That doesn't mean next season the roster, at least initially, doesn't look good (at least to start the season). Seems like Comets fan are more interested in the past than the present or actually more interested in trying to get more players/veterans to help them win than actually look at what they are likely to have.

There's 16 forwards (12 + 4 RFA) on 'nucks roster right now. That total does not include anyone that finished last season in Utica nor Molino. Its safe to assume at least 2 of those 16 will head down to Utica and likely 3 depending on rather or a 3rd forward clears. That's basically 1 line of forwards so lets assume they take the first line.

That leaves 9 forward spots in Utica. Take a look at who they have to fill those 9 slots. Virtanen, Goldobin, Molino, Carcone, Labate, MacEwen, Laplante, Cassels as well as AHLers in Hamilton and Bancks. That's basically 10 players with 9 spots. Now even if you assume some of those players are good enough for the AHL (say Laplante or even MacEwen), you still have most of the roster filled up and its July 5th... a few months before the season starts.

I'm not saying we shouldn't resign Archibald or have someone replace him (i said multiples times already i hope he's resigned) but after Archibald/replacement for him, there really isn't too many holes to fill. This isn't even considering the ATO/PTOs they are likely to be signed closer to training camp/start of pre-season. Basically those who held out for a contract and didn't get one.

Yes the high demand AHLers will be all gone by then but there wasn't room for them anyways. Plus even if Benning went for them, it doesn't mean they want to play for Utica/Vancouver over the team that signed them. It takes 2 sides to work out a deal... not everyone actually wants to play for Utica or Vancouver... that's just facts. You can list all the AHL UFA you want but odds are (more likely than not), they won't have Utica as their top choice or even top few choices (this has nothing against Utica, its just fact that everyone has different preferences, and the top choice being any one city isn't likely).

Like i said, ideally we sign Archibald or a replacement for him but that's really all we should be signing in terms of "vets" before the start of the season (at least forwards, you could make a case for signing 1 more "vet" D such as Robak too). Rumor before the draft was Benning wanted Archibald back... he still isn't signed so there's still a chance of him coming back. He could be holding out to see if a team offers him a 1 way deal/more money/opportunity to play in the NHL but honestly we don't know what he's looking for. If he gets signed by another team, then we probably should look at plan b/c/d/etc. Otherwise if we sign someone else, then its goodbye to Archibald (assuming that player is good enough for top 6/requires a 2 way contract).

Remember the AHL is a developmental league. Even if you don't feel like Goldobin/Boeser/Molino/Virtanen/etc are top 6 AHLers, the team likely will get them the opportunity initially. If they fail, then maybe look for a replacement. Even with the 3 or 4 remaining slots (assuming Juolevi slides), i would rather use those on prospects (Kerfoot/Butcher/etc) instead of another AHL vet. If i was in Benning's shoes right now, i would make sure to most of them for Aug. 15 since Kerfoot has been linked to us before and is a 'nuck fan. Meaning we're likely favorites to sign him unless the Devils somehow sign him before Aug. 15. Butcher isn't linked to us, not likely to sign with us, but would be an interesting prospect. There could be other ones that Benning could be interested in. Bottom line, for a rebuilding team, the focus should be on building up assets and an AHL journeymen isn't going to add as much value as a possible prospect or a possible player that can be dealt at the deadline.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Look. I don't know what anyone is trying to prove here. An AHL team can't play more than 6 veterans in a game. A veteran is a player who has logged 261 games in any combination of AHL, NHL, or European pro leagues (ECHL does not count) as of the date of the first game of the season. If it's 260 on day 1, his veteran status won't start until the next season. The amount of money that can be spent on those vets is usually influenced by the number of prospects that team has as they make 70k max and many make less. Thus, the more prospects you have the more you can spend on the rest if your management is pinching pennies. If they are not squeezing every dollar there is no ceiling on what they can pay players.

When you have few prospects and your 6 vets the rest come from tweener aged players. They have used up their ELCs, but are still signed as RFAs a la Zalewski, Grenier, and Pedan. Then you have those who have been discarded by the parent club, Archibald, or other teams and get picked up as free agents. Then there are the unsigned guys who are not vets, but get signed to SPC AHL contracts like Valk. Lastly you have the cheaper vets like Hamilton and Bancks who get SPC AHL contracts as role players who also help guys to understand what being a pro entails.

All of these types not under contract to the parent club are available every summer as most only get one-yr contracts. The NHL teams who deem the farm as important to their organization as both a development program and depth for themselves seek the best they can acquire. It is that simple. It's not hard to build a team you simply have to want to do it and hire someone to get it done and then oversee it throughout the season, assess the talent, and fill in needs where they arise. Thus, Toronto recently went out and acquired O'Reilly because they were desperate for a center. Benning acknowledged the Comets didn't have a play making center months ago and that was hampering Jake's progress, but did nothing to address the issue. That's an example of the difference in those who actually care about the farm vs those who simply have one. Henning did it. Henning was fired. No one has really been all that concerned since. You can color code it and sugar coat it all you want. That's just poor management from the top down, plain and simple.

TODAY'S UPDATE

This is pretty much the same. Most AHL teams have locked up the best vets already. Vancouver has not signed one vet at this moment.
Utica has 2 under contract for this season on the second year of 2-year contracts:

Wacey Hamilton
Carter Bancks

It appears (and Benning could surprise us) that Jim is waiting until camp breaks and it decided who will be cut down to the Comets. If those guys are vets, and pass through waivers they become Utica vets. We know these guys to be Biega, Chaput, Megna, Boucher, Wiercioch, Burmistrov. Pedan does not count as a vet, but will still have to pass as well. Then there's Bachman who as a goalie doesn't count as a vet, but he also has to get through waivers. This happens every season on all NHL teams, but players do get claimed every season. Vancouver has lost a vet in the past 2 seasons when placing them on waivers. No reason it can't happen again.

The point here is that we don't know who will be sent down nor what position they play. With only 2 vets under contract and the good ones disappearing fast, if Jim waits until October to look for AHL vets for the Comets. the closet will be pretty much empty. If he picks up a waived guy and then tries to send him down waivers occur all over again. Boucher was waived by NJ a couple times and NJ took him back again when the teams who claimed him tried to assign him to their AHL club. This is not how you prepare to stock your minor league affiliate.

Looks like i was replying while you were editing, i don't remember reading this part of your post when i posted my reply (i quoted what i ready in my last post).

First the 6 is a max number that can be dressed. Yes you can sign more but there also isn't a rule that requires you to actually use all 6 slots. Even last year, Utica often had less than the full number.

The goal is to provide players to help prospects develop. That also means not having too many players that it'll take opportunities away from them. Also like i said last year... winning and development does NOT always go hand in hand.

I'm not saying a winning environment isn't ideal to have nor is it better to lose than to win. But if winning means having you top prospects playing 5-10 minutes a game while losing means they play 20 minutes a game... i might prefer the later option. That's why you don't want to sign too many players and like i mentioned, the roster is more or less filled with only the odd hole left. There's still 2 months before the season starts yet you're worry about that odd hole in the line-up?

As an example of winning/development, you can look at the NYR (who ironic as it is, might be a great fit for Utica).

Hartford has made the playoffs once in the last 4 years (same time frame as Utica since both teams relocated at the same time). They were one of the worst teams in the league last year. Yet despite all this they have a few key players developed there.

JT Miller spent 1+ seasons there and has been a top 6 forward for NYRs. Skjei was there for a season, Lindberg was there for 2 seasons as well. They all developed in a losing environment yet it doesn't seem to affect their performance in the NHL. Not saying that's our target but it proves that a winning environment is NOT required. If we sign too many "vets", it'll just block the development of our prospects.

Also if your argument is vets to "mentor" prospects. I agree that is an asset yet we have a couple and at the end of the day, that's also why there are coaches. Even players that don't have "vet" status (Pedan, Subban, etc) who spent a couple years in the AHL could act as mentors to get Jr/rookies upto AHL speed. After that, there really isn't much other AHLers can do to help prepare a prospect.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Q: The AHL is a development league, so why aren’t all your young prospects playing?

Benning: I understand that argument, but there’s a fine line between winning and development. If the guys are ready to play and help the team win, (Comets coach) Travis Green has no problem putting them in. But you want to develop your kids in a winning environment. The experience of playing in a Game 7 … you can’t make a mistake defensively or it ends up costing you the game.

Q: So your ideals about bringing young players into a winning NHL environment and making them earn their ice time also applies at the AHL level?

Benning: That has to be our standard at all of our levels. That’s the culture we want to set up. The players learn to play the right way (in Utica). There are no shortcuts.

"To see our young kids playing in a winning environment and learning to play the right way is very important" 10 jun 16

Benning : "Green has as an excellent understanding of where we are as an organization, he will build our team & develop a winning culture."

wisdom

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
ADDENDUM
As of now the following guys have been or are now eligible to play in the AHL based on the rules of Canadian Juniors or are U.S. and European players who did not play Canadian juniors.

1 Nikita Tryamkin (22) - Played for the Canucks and refused to report to Utica when asked to go down for a conditioning stint. Opted to re-sign in the KHLafter 1 full NHL season.
2 Gustav Forsling (21) - Traded, but has already played 38 games for the Blackhawks.
3 Thatcher Demko (21) - A Utica Comet.
4 Mackenze Stewart (21) - Sucks. ECHL.
5 Adam Gaudette (20) - NCAA Northeastern, 3rd season.
6 Brock Boeser (20) - Will be pro this season. Some say he will be a Comet. I say he will likely be a Canuck. Would love to be shocked, but the kid is good.
7 Dmitri Zhukenov (20) - KHL
8 Lukas Jasek (19) - Czech Republic
9 Jared McCann (21) - Traded. Has played 99 NHL games.
10 Jake Virtanen - A Utica Comet unless he knocks the sox out of preseason.
11 Kyle Petit (21) - Not given a contract.
12 Carl Neill (21)- Not given a contract.
13 William Lockwood (19) - NCAA Michigan, 2nd season.
14 Rodrigo Abols (21) - SHL
15 Guillaume Brisebois (20) - About to become a Utica Comet.
16 Tate Olson (20) - Not given a contract.
17 Jakob Stukel (20) - Going back to Jrs.
18 Brett McKenzie (20) - Hasn't been offered a contract.
19 Elias Petersson (18) - SHL
20 Kristoffer Gunnarsson (20) - SHL
21 Dominik Lakatos (20) - Czech Republic
22 Jonathan Dahlen (19, but turns 20 in December) - Undecided some say. He has the free pass back to Sweden if he doesn't make the Canucks. I say he takes it.

That's 22 elegible to play in the AHL. Of these 22, 2 were traded and a third opted to leave the team.
That makes 19. The Canucks have opted not to sign 4 of these.
That leaves 15. Two of these are in U.S. universities.
That leaves 14. 2 have elected to remain in the Czech Republic.
That leaves 12. Along with Tryamkin another has opted to play in the KHL.
That leaves 10. One is returning to Jrs.
That leaves 9. One is so bad that if he makes the Comets, it tells us the sorry state of affairs that exist in Utica.
That leaves 8. 3 have apparently elected to play in the SHL though one is stated to maybe be coming over. Right now that's 3 in the SHL.
That leaves 5. Dahlen has a get out of Vancouver free card. If he doesn't make the big club he can just pack his bags and go back to the SHL.

Both Nylanders came straight to the AHL with outs for the world Jrs. They were #1 picks and their talent level was pro quality. Petersson and Dahlen have that quality right now as well. They know the Nylanders and saw what they did. By playing in the AHL at 18 Willie got himself a partial NHL gig at 19 and a full time job at 20. Alex notched 28 points (10 goals) on a far inferior Rochester team than Willie's Toronto Marlies were. Alex looked far from out of place. I see no reason not to get Jonathan and Elias into the NA swing of things right now. Add them to Goldobin, Virtanen, and Boeser, with Megna and Chaput to round out the top 6 and the Comets have something going. Up and coming D in the person of Subban, McEneny, and Brisebois combined with a couple older guys to lock things down and the Comets look like the Marlies did 2 seasons ago and then all these guys move up in a season or two with Gaudette and Lockwood added to the mix next season. I think I'd give Olli one season with his future young team mates. You still have the likes of Gunnarsson, Gadjovich, and Lind among others in the pipeline. This would be a great way to grow the kids while the top club treads water through a rebuild and gets a real good one again in next year's draft to add to the mix for a season. then in 2019-20 you mix them in with Marky, Stecher, Hutton, Horvat, Baertschi, Rodin, and whatever else exists there as a base. Don't know if you want to still have Sutter and Eriksson hanging around, but you will still have to have a few older guys. Tanev would not be out of the question to help out, but he may get them another #1 so we'll have to wait on that one.

Nah, they don't want to do that. Lou Lam, Shanny, and Babcock have no idea what they are doing. Jim has a much better plan.

There are 4 left and only 2 have been Comets to date, Demko and Virtanen.
That leaves 2. Brisebois will be a Comet and Boeser is maybe a 20% chance of being a Comet.

That's 3 players out of the 22 who will be Comets this year, one of whom played for the Canucks at 19 when not ready and is now trying to recover with the Comets after a not so illustrious 1st year in Utica. He's 20 so I haven't quit on him just yet.

This is a pretty poor result form 22 eligible players.

Honestly i see that as a sign that the management has less faith in Utica than other teams with their AHL teams. Not to mention we seem to have some (more) success with players who more or less skipped the AHL (or played limited games).

This point has been made many times before but any prospects that have made an impact for us recently has skipped the AHL/our AHL team (unless you want to count a few games as the "AHL experience").

Hutton - skipped except for a few games at the end of the season
Stecher - few games at the start of the season
Horvat - few conditioning games

Baertschi spent about 1/2 a season with Utica (deadline->end of season + a long playoff run). But being realistic, his development was mostly in the NHL or with the Flames before that. Gaunce is the only one who spent a lot of time with Utica and he hasn't exactly been an impact player yet (tho i think he could be a 3C this season, assuming he beats Burmistrov who likely will be given a shot at that role along with Suter).

I expect Gaudette to follow the same route as possibly Boeser (and Stecher/Hutton). Hopefully he signs an ELC at the end of the year and finish the year with 'nucks then next season we'll see if he ends up in the AHL or not. Lockwood could follow the same path (except 1 year later).

Also you forgot Goldobin (since you included Dahlen, i assume you're including prospects via trades). Its safe to assume at least 1 of Goldobin/Boeser starts the year in Utica. Its probably safe to assume at least 2 of Molino/Boeser/Goldobin starts in Utica tho i get some fans aren't too high on Molino.

That said, i agree in terms of prospect capital, Benning has not given a ton to Utica tho he has kept Utica competitive for the 4 years it has existed. 2x playoff appearance, 1 deep run is pretty much right in the middle. During the same 4 years, Hartford has been a lot less competitive than Utica (both relocated at the same time). Given the reaction/opinion of the fans, you would think Utica has been in the basement the last 4 years but realistically, they have done better than quite a few other organizations including Rochesher, Manitoba, Hartford, Binghamton, Iowa, Springfield, etc. Even if you want to exclude the first 2 years, Utica made the playoffs 2 years ago and was pretty close last season. There are quite a few teams (ie. those listed above) who hasn't made the playoffs the last 2 seasons.

On top of that, Utica should, on paper, be deeper next year as is (even without any more signings, tho still hoping on Archibald). Even Chicago, who was great last season (in the regular season), missed the playoffs 2 years ago. Identifying players isn't exactly an exact science and like i said before, not everyone you want actually will sign with you (majority will end up signing elsewhere).

Side note, it would be easier if you actually made a new post instead of doing edits on top of edits... this is the 3rd time i quoted the post because you edited it twice since my initial respond... :laugh:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There has been a lot of talk about how management has "learned their lesson" and are wary of rushing their prospects. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad