The Utica Comets Thread | Part 40 | RIP 2016-2017 Comets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Rick Dhaliwal has been spot on with his information and has become the most reliable source among the Vancouver media. I don't doubt the accuracy of this information one bit.

This is my take on it. Even though this is an AHL contract it is still being negotiated with Benning and his underlings in Vancouver since they control 100% of the hockey operations of the Comets. Rick Dhaliwal has his sources in Vancouver that would have confirmed the signing. However because this is an AHL contract the official announcement is made by the Comets in Utica and since Archie is a big fan favorite they probably want to make a big splash and are waiting until after the Boilermaker weekend in Utica. I'm sure the Comets would have preferred that the signing wasn't leaked.

"since Archie is a big fan favorite they probably want to make a big splash and are waiting until after the Boilermaker weekend in Utica."

As I said, I thought this might be the case as well. I hope the Canucks brass recognizes his value and at least rewards his career performance with the $ Pedan will get to display his headscratching play in Utica. It's the least they could do. He is way beyond Andrey in what he brings to the ice every game. I admit he's not a true first line player, but that effort and production on any line below it would be outstanding. It's not like Grenier and Valk were actually buoying him up. It was more like the other way around. It's also worth noting when Green moved them around to try and find more scoring, Archi continued to produce and Valk fell off the map.

I'd actually prefer to see Biega here instead, but his play in Vancouver should merit his staying up. He has performed well when given a chance and most of their fan base realizes it. Pedan would not be appreciated if he played up there the way he plays down here and they would be calling for his head after about the 3rd or 4th blind pass onto the stick of an opponent for a brilliant scoring chance. That's if Markstrom doesn't get to him first. That goalie stick makes for a great double edged sword, LOL.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
"since Archie is a big fan favorite they probably want to make a big splash and are waiting until after the Boilermaker weekend in Utica."

As I said, I thought this might be the case as well. I hope the Canucks brass recognizes his value and at least rewards his career performance with the $ Pedan will get to display his headscratching play in Utica. It's the least they could do. He is way beyond Andrey in what he brings to the ice every game. I admit he's not a true first line player, but that effort and production on any line below it would be outstanding. It's not like Grenier and Valk were actually buoying him up. It was more like the other way around. It's also worth noting when Green moved them around to try and find more scoring, Archi continued to produce and Valk fell off the map.

I'd actually prefer to see Biega here instead, but his play in Vancouver should merit his staying up. He has performed well when given a chance and most of their fan base realizes it. Pedan would not be appreciated if he played up there the way he plays down here and they would be calling for his head after about the 3rd or 4th blind pass onto the stick of an opponent for a brilliant scoring chance. That's if Markstrom doesn't get to him first. That goalie stick makes for a great double edged sword, LOL.

Agree. Since they didn't offer Archie a NHL contract hopefully they are paying him nicely on an AHL deal. Unlike NHL contracts the terms of AHL deals are not reported so we'll never know the details. Just because it's an AHL contract doesn't mean that it is for low $$$ however. Hershey recently signed Chris Bourque to an AHL contact this year instead of another NHL contract with Washington and you can bet he is being paid well.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wtf are you talking about? That's not what I was saying at all. Can you read and comprehend English?

That is literally exactly what you said - mistakes happen with rushing prospects when you haven't had the time to evaluate what you have in the system.

If you meant something different, the issue is with what you wrote.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's a chance Dahlen, Goldobin and Boeser all end up in Utica this year...when you add in Virtanen, MacEwan, Chatfield, Palmu and maybe even Gaudette later in the season, youth will be served in Utica.....they could be exciting, if nothing else.

As far as the blueline, there's not enough room up top for Wiercioch, Holm and Biega.....with Holm being the only guy who doesn't need waivers....but if Holm or Juolevi plays their way into the NHL lineup, it could be Biega--a big add for Utica.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I am beginning to question the Confirmed with Link "Canucks re-sign F Darren Archibald to AHL contract." That was on 7/7, the same day that LaBate got a 2-way. I put it off to the Boilermaker hubbub, but it's now 7/10 and not a whisper in the paper, the Comets' site, nor the KTV or UTR sportscasts. I'm thinking maybe somebody jumped the gun.

Funny we agreed on something! :laugh:

I made the same comment in Archibald's thread because it seems odd (like you said) that Labate was confirmed by 'nucks/Comets/etc just a few hours before yet Archibald (who in terms of Utica impact is much bigger), wasn't announced anywhere and everyone (nucks army etc) all referred to 1 source instead of it being confirmed by multiple. Not that its not a reliable source since he was the first to break some other moves.

I wonder if its a matter of details or if its a reporter confirming something that isn't exactly 100% yet just to "break" a signing first.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
There's a chance Dahlen, Goldobin and Boeser all end up in Utica this year...when you add in Virtanen, MacEwan, Chatfield, Palmu and maybe even Gaudette later in the season, youth will be served in Utica.....they could be exciting, if nothing else.

As far as the blueline, there's not enough room up top for Wiercioch, Holm and Biega.....with Holm being the only guy who doesn't need waivers....but if Holm or Juolevi plays their way into the NHL lineup, it could be Biega--a big add for Utica.

Dahlen will be in Sweden. Pretty much confirmed by Linden when he stated the AHL is too physical. Palmu is confirmed to be playing in Finland where he already signed a two year contract.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
There's no point of goldy playing in the ahl he's already proved what he's had to down in the a

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Utica home opener set for Nov. 1

No idea why its so late since the season starts in early october.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Dahlen will be in Sweden. Pretty much confirmed by Linden when he stated the AHL is too physical. Palmu is confirmed to be playing in Finland where he already signed a two year contract.

Actually Palmu is more of a wait and see. Its likely he'll head to Finland but he said he didn't talk to the team yet and he signed his Finland contract before the draft. There likely would be out clauses if the team wants him to play in the AHL vs Europe.

Exact quote from him...

“Maybe AHL or pro league in Finland,†he responded when Canucks Army’s Ryan Biech asked him about his plans for next year. “I have signed with TPS but we need to discuss that with the agent and with the Canucks.â€

My guess is if the team feels like he's good enough to start the season with the Comets, he might end up staying. If he might be borderline/going to the ECHL, then he heads to Finland.

How they make this decision is beyond me since i think TPS season starts on Aug 30th (at least schedule i could find online). 'nuck "Young Stars Classic" starts September 8, after TPS season already started so its not likely he could stay to "try out" then leave for TPS afterwards.

My guess would be if Palmu stays for the tournament, he'll end up in Utica (and pretty much make the team by default).

Dahlen seems to be staying with Pettersson so you're right its unlikely we see either player until March (or later). Probably more likely we won't see either in NA till next season.

There's no point of goldy playing in the ahl he's already proved what he's had to down in the a

There are a few reasons

#1 Forward depth - Goldobin doesn't need to clear waivers and as much as you want to believe no one gets hurt... odds are someone (multiple) players will get hurt. You want good quality replacement players who don't need to clear waivers... Goldobin will be near the top of that list. Sure there are other players like Chaput/Megna who likely will clear waivers pretty easily but more depth = better so starting the season, unless Goldobin is far better than his competition (i.e. Rodin, Boeser, etc), he probably starts in Utica.

Also if you look at positions/spots up for grabs, there aren't too many Goldobin actually qualifies for... roster locks:

Sedin Sedin X
Baetschi Horvat Y
Granlud Suter Z
A B C

Eriksson for 1 of X Y Z slots (no reason to believe he won't be in the top 9, its likely X or Y spot). Gagner likely for another one of those spots. That leaves only 1 likely top 9 slot to start the season (plus the entire 4th line). Competition for that slot includes Boeser, Boucher, Rodin, Burmistrov, and maybe Gaunce (who likely is locked for a 4th line slot too).

That likely becomes the situation in camp, which likely means Goldobin is in Utica. If not him then likely Boeser since neither really benefits from playing on the 4th line.

#2 Another reason for Goldobin in Utica is defense. He's still a liability in his own end. That's why he wasn't on SJS' roster last season. That's something he can work on in Utica and doesn't need to be in the NHL to work on. Mistakes in Utica also isn't likely to hurt the organization as much nor would it be as likely he gets benched for an entire period due to a defensive lapse.

Plus if Goldobin makes the team in Vancouver, he isn't likely to get much PP time (at best 2nd unit time) but in Utica, he'll likely be given a lot of PP time. It gives him more opportunity to improve that area of his game than in Vancouver (where lets be honest, Sedins are likely lock for the first unit, meaning there probably will only be 1 LHS left and Goldobin won't likely get that spot... then Horvat is likely a lock for the 2nd unit which likely means Baertschi is with him... making 1-2 possible spots on PP2 for a LHS).

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Utica home opener set for Nov. 1

No idea why its so late since the season starts in early october.

Construction of suites and Loge seating, as well as office space and restroom is on going now. Scheduled to be finished in late October.
Our home opener is only about a week later than normal.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Actually Palmu is more of a wait and see. Its likely he'll head to Finland but he said he didn't talk to the team yet and he signed his Finland contract before the draft. There likely would be out clauses if the team wants him to play in the AHL vs Europe.

Exact quote from him...

My guess is if the team feels like he's good enough to start the season with the Comets, he might end up staying. If he might be borderline/going to the ECHL, then he heads to Finland.

How they make this decision is beyond me since i think TPS season starts on Aug 30th (at least schedule i could find online). 'nuck "Young Stars Classic" starts September 8, after TPS season already started so its not likely he could stay to "try out" then leave for TPS afterwards.

My guess would be if Palmu stays for the tournament, he'll end up in Utica (and pretty much make the team by default).

Dahlen seems to be staying with Pettersson so you're right its unlikely we see either player until March (or later). Probably more likely we won't see either in NA till next season.

There are a few reasons

#1 Forward depth - Goldobin doesn't need to clear waivers and as much as you want to believe no one gets hurt... odds are someone (multiple) players will get hurt. You want good quality replacement players who don't need to clear waivers... Goldobin will be near the top of that list. Sure there are other players like Chaput/Megna who likely will clear waivers pretty easily but more depth = better so starting the season, unless Goldobin is far better than his competition (i.e. Rodin, Boeser, etc), he probably starts in Utica.

Also if you look at positions/spots up for grabs, there aren't too many Goldobin actually qualifies for... roster locks:

Sedin Sedin X
Baetschi Horvat Y
Granlud Suter Z
A B C

Eriksson for 1 of X Y Z slots (no reason to believe he won't be in the top 9, its likely X or Y spot). Gagner likely for another one of those spots. That leaves only 1 likely top 9 slot to start the season (plus the entire 4th line). Competition for that slot includes Boeser, Boucher, Rodin, Burmistrov, and maybe Gaunce (who likely is locked for a 4th line slot too).

That likely becomes the situation in camp, which likely means Goldobin is in Utica. If not him then likely Boeser since neither really benefits from playing on the 4th line.

#2 Another reason for Goldobin in Utica is defense. He's still a liability in his own end. That's why he wasn't on SJS' roster last season. That's something he can work on in Utica and doesn't need to be in the NHL to work on. Mistakes in Utica also isn't likely to hurt the organization as much nor would it be as likely he gets benched for an entire period due to a defensive lapse.

Plus if Goldobin makes the team in Vancouver, he isn't likely to get much PP time (at best 2nd unit time) but in Utica, he'll likely be given a lot of PP time. It gives him more opportunity to improve that area of his game than in Vancouver (where lets be honest, Sedins are likely lock for the first unit, meaning there probably will only be 1 LHS left and Goldobin won't likely get that spot... then Horvat is likely a lock for the 2nd unit which likely means Baertschi is with him... making 1-2 possible spots on PP2 for a LHS).

Agreeded, Benning​ and Company have stated that the want the youngsters to develop. Do not see them keeping Goldobin.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Construction of suites and Love seating, as well as office space and restroom is on going now. Scheduled to be finished in late October.
Our home opener is only about a week later than normal.

Based on the schedule that i think is just released, it would be the 8th game of the season with the first game being Oct. 7 so almost a month after the start starts. That said, the construction schedule would make a delay reasonable.

http://www.uticacomets.com/games

For anyone interested in the full schedule and haven't checked yet. I'm mostly keeping track of home games since AHL streams generally have the home team's commentary team and they are pretty bad at covering the road team (i.e. won't even talk about them when the road team has the puck... add the iffy camera work and its much harder to track what's going on/who's doing what for Utica or even who's on the ice).

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It will be nice to be able to refer to the term "The Zoo" again as a place where players like Sautner, Carcone, Stewart, Laplante, D'Aust and Cederholm belong. Hell Cederholm can even keep his old jersey! :handclap:

I'm laughing in guffaw terms. I hope you are ready for the fallout. Been there done that as you are well aware. Ha-Ha.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know some Comet posters are less than bullish on their team for the upcoming season, but if UFA signings like Burmistrov, Wiercioch, Gagner and Del Zotto all perform well as expected and play key roles with the Canucks, there has to be some very good young players enroute to Utica.

And you can expect Demko to be a lot better in year two.....the blueline looks solid and there's talent up-front.....actually, the Comets could be as much or more interesting to follow than the Canucks, who're likely headed for another long season.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I know some Comet posters are less than bullish on their team for the upcoming season, but if UFA signings like Burmistrov, Wiercioch, Gagner and Del Zotto all perform well as expected and play key roles with the Canucks, there has to be some very good young players enroute to Utica.

And you can expect Demko to be a lot better in year two.....the blueline looks solid and there's talent up-front.....actually, the Comets could be as much or more interesting to follow than the Canucks, who're likely headed for another long season.

Yes the comets should have good d and goaltending. The forwards really depends on Vancouver's plans for young players. Boeser Goldy Dahlen Virtanen have either a limited or large chance or playing with Utica.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Both the McEneny signing and the Zoo development are good news. I hope we find a few posters from Kalamazoo this season.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
McEneny signed to a 2yr, 2-way deal by the Canucks. That's apiece of good news. He will be an asset for the Comets.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And If Juolevi steps up training camp, could one of either Wiercioch or Biega end up back in Utica?....Could Biega be a future Comet captain?....of course he'd have to clear waivers first.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
And If Juolevi steps up training camp, could one of either Wiercioch or Biega end up back in Utica?....Could Biega be a future Comet captain?....of course he'd have to clear waivers first.

Why not? He was the Captain when he left. Of course the Canucks would have to pay Alex $800,000 or Wiercioch $650,000 to play here. I have to laugh at that when some of your posters come here and say that Vancover can't pay the top AHL players the kind of money they have to get to play here and then we get this.

They have 8 with both of them and Juolevi back in Jrs. They carried 8 last season. There seems to be enough noise coming out of management to not rush the kids. Maybe that's why they acquired Wier in the first place. Maybe they just keep the vets and give Olli one more year to brew.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Its possible but with the way the roster is setup now, its unlikely. Juolevi will need to clearly out play quite a few players including likely Del Zotto, Wiercioch, Biega and Holm. Otherwise there's not much reason to keep him up/waive someone for him just to sit and watch/be the 7th D.

The good news for him however is Biega and Wiercloch (plus Gudbranson) are all UFA next season so there should be openings for him then. Depending on when his CHL season ends, he could also end the year playing in Utica.

If someone gets hurt tho, its possible Juolevi gets a few games to start the year before getting sent down (less than 10).

Remember if he plays this year, his contract starts after 10 games, his UFA clock starts after i believe 40 games (i.e. if he plays 40+ games next season, he's a UFA @ 26 instead of 27). So in terms of asset management (assuming we aren't really competitive next year), the only reason he should be playing is if he's clearly better than the alternative. Even then you can make a case for sending him down before 40 games. Edmonton did that with Draisalti a few years ago.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Why not? He was the Captain when he left. Of course the Canucks would have to pay Alex $800,000 or Wiercioch $650,000 to play here. I have to laugh at that when some of your posters come here and say that Vancover can't pay the top AHL players the kind of money they have to get to play here and then we get this.

Aren't you one of those posters who question the Canucks' willingness to spend money on their AHL team?

My view is that the Canucks have no problems spending money on their AHL team. They just prefer to spend it on guys that they think can be useful callups. So a guy like Cracknell has more value to the Canucks than a Cal O'Reilly whom the Canucks didn't call up to play. I know you prefer an AHL 1st line C who never plays an NHL game to a Cracknell type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad