The Utica Comets Thread | Part 36 | A new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
You are kidding me right? The Comets play 1 of their 2 preseason games tonight and the team's website has no pregame post? This site has always been inadequate compared to what a decent site manager could produce. Is it going to be on the radio at least? The new play-by-play guy, Andy Zilch, could use a little intro to the Comets and their listeners.

no utica radio tonight, but i was told the crunch will be broadcasting. or do as i do, twitter updates....

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
You are kidding me right? The Comets play 1 of their 2 preseason games tonight and the team's website has no pregame post? This site has always been inadequate compared to what a decent site manager could produce. Is it going to be on the radio at least? The new play-by-play guy, Andy Zilch, could use a little intro to the Comets and their listeners.

BG, I know you are not a social media guy but that is how the Comets push out most of their news. No local radio for the preseason games this weekend but you can watch a YouTube stream of the game courtesy of the Syracuse Crunch. Puck drop is 5:00 pm EDT.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The Comets are at the Syracuse Crunch for preseason game #1. Game time is 5:00 p.m. EDT.

Travis Green has said the veterans will receive less time in the preseason than the new guys he needs to see in game action. Some of the vets will only see one game. The last 4 sent down will probably not play tonight. Assume the unsigned guys (5) get lots of ice along with those who haven't played pro yet. Most of the Comets cuts will go to Alaska.

Would expect to see most of the returners play tomorrow.

Would like to post a game roster, but nothing has been released or posted. I'll keep at this and get what I can.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
BG, I know you are not a social media guy but that is how the Comets push out most of their news. No local radio for the preseason games this weekend but you can watch a YouTube stream of the game courtesy of the Syracuse Crunch. Puck drop is 5:00 pm EDT.

Guess getting a game roster and updates are up to you. I'm out.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Bancks, Hamilton and Negrin have the "A" on their jerseys tonight in Syracuse... Demko in net.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
2-0 crunch early in the first.... make that 3-0, crunch add a shorty.... Demko debut not goin so well...

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Demko with a rough start, down 3-0 but I can't really fault him for any of the goals. First one was a point shot tipped. The second one was a bad giveaway by Moynihan and bad coverage by Subban, though Demko could've had better rebound control. The third one was a shorthanded goal leaving the Syracuse forward all alone in front, right after Thatcher stopped a breakaway.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
D-pairs:
Negrin/Subban - This one was a disaster last season.
Stewart/Shields
Sautner/McEneny

LaPlante/Hamilton/Bancks
The other 3 lines were constantly changing due to penalties. Maybe they settle into some continuity next period.

Cassels/Valk/Carcone saw this trio several times, but Cassels on the wing seems odd.

Perfetto/Moynihan/D'Aoust

Hulak/Ewanyk/Kunyk

These lines are not carved in stone beyond the 1st.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
D-pairs:
Negrin/Subban - This one was a disaster last season.
Stewart/Shields
Sautner/McEneny

LaPlante/Hamilton/Bancks
The other 3 lines were constantly changing due to penalties. Maybe they settle into some continuity next period.

Cassels/Valk/Carcone saw this trio several times, but Cassels on the wing seems odd.

Perfetto/Moynihan/D'Aoust

Sounds like a disaster to me....

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Hardly Subban's fault for not covering the guy going hard to the net.

Sure he could have played it better but that's not a glaring fault by Subban.

Also not shown in that clip was the Crunch player breaking in was Jordan's man that he lost in the neutral zone. He just scored the Comets first goal on a nice wrister. His offense is good but play in his end is still a problem.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This was not a brilliant effort by the Comets, but the team on the ice fit the matched the group of players Travis said he was going to play - mostly the new guys. That would be at forward as there are no "new" guys on D.

The only Utica vets at forward were Hamilton, Bancks, and Cassels. Valk gets a nod as having actually played some games in Utica. Ewanyk, Hulak, and Kunyk have AHL backgrounds but are new to the Comets. LaPlante, Moynihan, D'Aoust, Carcone, and Perfetto are rookies.

The six D he played were the "Utica vets" Negrin, Sautner, and Subban, last year's best PTO in Shields, two year ECHL vet McEneny who has played 3 games for the Comets in 2 years, and last year's outcast Stewart who has played in 4 games for the Comets. So in essence only 4 have substantial Comets' experience. Billins, Pedan, and whomever from the Canucks are necessary to anchor this group. As they stand on their own this group would be a disaster.

Demko was in goal. He had a rude welcome to the Comets and their propensity to turn it over, get lost in coverage, and puck watch. After it was 3-0 he settled in.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Tomorrow I could see Travis going with the rest he is yet to see in Utica mixed with guys who played tonight that he may still have a leaning towards keeping, but didn't get enough of them tonight.

That group would be Roy, Megna, Chaput, Rendulic, and Carcone. However he has seen all of them for weeks in Vancouver and that may be enough.

Archi will probably be there. I would guess Cassels and LaBate whom I would try with Carcone.

Then he probably gives the unsigned kids, Perfetto and D'Aoust, another go with better line mates.

That would be 9 guys. Then he either puts others from tonight that he wants to see again in the mix or slides a couple of the vets into the lineup in Grenier and Zalewski. It would give him a chance to see how the guys brought in to anchor this team work with the top remaining guys and possible new pieces. A serious mix of old and new.

I think Garteig gets the nod in net disappointing the masses who hope to get their 1st peek at Demko. They can wait, there will be plenty of looks coming.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I thought McEneny looked pretty good this game. It was hard to see every time he was on the ice, but it looked like he skated and moved the puck well

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I thought McEneny looked pretty good this game. It was hard to see every time he was on the ice, but it looked like he skated and moved the puck well

Thanks for that. I'm very curious about McEneny -- my nominee for the one guy to graduate from last year's ECHL to the Comets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad