The Utica Comets Thread | Part 36 | A new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well if Etem clears waivers he'll be assigned to Utica.....he was a pretty decent AHL scorer when he was a Ducks farmhand....and I think Green will turn him around.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Continuing with Sunday night's D efforts, Sautner and McEneny were okay. Nothing special. Nothing outstanding, but each showed that if he were paired with a solid partner, he would be able to more than hang in there.

Billins and Shields were solid, but also not spectacular. Shields makes the good first pass. Billins can move with the puck. Defensively he is small and can't really handle big forwards without much effort. Undersdtand this combo set up by Green.

All in all this defense will be strengthened by the insertion of Stecher and Pedan. The top 6 will probably be Stecher, Pedan, Billins, Sautner, Subban, and Negrin. If Stecher or Pedan go up this current group would be hard pressed. The Comets really still need one larger, good defenseman to help solidify the top 6 and put Negrin into the #7 role.
McEneny would go to Alsaka and be recalled the second a Comet goes up. Until then, to answer VanJack, McEneny will be on the roster.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
So with no more blueliners coming down from VanCity, what you see in Utica is what you get.....does this mean that McEneny is finally an AHL d-man?

Tom Nilsson will be added to the mix shortly. Matt Sekeres tweeted a few days ago that he has an ankle injury and should be heading to Utica in about a week.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
A little humor surrounding Stecher. Eliteprospects lists him at 5'10". The comets have him listed at 5'10". In his first interview with the Utica newspapers the reporter lists him at 5'8". He was quoted as saying, "I'm not the biggest guy, but I've got some fight in me. I kind of play with a chip on my shoulder; I think I have to, with my stature..."

Welcome to Utica and the Mohawk Valley, Troy. We will do our best to make your stay memorable. Once a Comet, always a Mohawk Valley resident.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Tom Nilsson will be added to the mix shortly. Matt Sekeres tweeted a few days ago that he has an ankle injury and should be heading to Utica in about a week.

Supposedly that won't happen until he's good to go. That's how it's handled. Therefore he should arrive ready to play. I think the Comets will carry him and all the rest until he works out and gets some game time after which they will probably cut down to 8.

That's my opinion. They could cut immediately upon his arrival or they could just go with all 9 for some time. This isn't a group of large guys and injuries could become a problem. Did I cover every possibility so I have to end up correct? Ha-Ha-Ha!

Last edited:

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
A little humor surrounding Stecher. Eliteprospects lists him at 5'10". The comets have him listed at 5'10". In his first interview with the Utica newspapers the reporter lists him at 5'8". He was quoted as saying, "I'm not the biggest guy, but I've got some fight in me. I kind of play with a chip on my shoulder: I think I have to, with my stature..."

Welcome to Utica and the Mohawk Valley, Troy. We will do our best to make your stay memorable. Once a Comet, always a Mohawk Valley resident.

If Tryamkin was smart, he'd be begging for a ticket to Utica so he could play big minutes alongside Stecher. A few months together, developing chemistry - they could end up as a solid 3rd pair in Vancouver together next season.

anyway, I think we're all looking forward to reading your post game reports.....so thanks in advance.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
As to the forwards Sunday night it was a mish mash of players and most of the guys counted upon to do the heavy lifting were not in the lineup.

Archibald/Cassels/Grenier will be regulars, but not on this line. These guys played well enough, but don't compliment each other in any way. Watching Grenier try to kill penalties was not good. It's not one of his strengths. Archi is a banger and a grinder, Grenier more finesse while using his bigger body to fore check and finally win battles on the boards, and Cassels has improved his skating, just how much remains to be seen, but he had more jump, was much more engaging, and wasn't struggling to keep up or catch up all the time like last season.

Zalewski/Kunyk/Rendulic were 2/3s of a possible line. We know what Z has to offer. Rendulic is tall with a long reach, skates well, but didn't show the offensive flare we are hoping to see. Kunyk is a lower in the line up player and has a good chance of becoming a back-up.

Bancks/Valk/Hulak was a scrambled mess. Bancks doesn't do well without complimentary style players, particularly Hamilton. He wasn't invisible, but held back on his game in order to cover for the line's constant loss of puck possession, particularly Valk. Hulak threw his weight around and delivered a few good hits, nothing dynamic, but played the body well in both ends. Another group that will not see time together although Hulak could have an outside chance to join Carter and Wacey, but I think Archi would fit in there first.

I've already covered the LaPlante/Roy/D'Aoust line.

Archi, Cassels, Grenier, Zalewski, Rendulic, Bancks, and Hulak will join Megna, Chaput, LaBate, Hamilton, Carcone, and Etem (if he clears) to form the corps of regular forwards. That leaves Kunyk, Roy, Valk, and LaPlante to select from for the remaining depth forwards. A couple of these guys will be on the way "North to Alaska". I'd guess Valk and LaPlante.

That is 8 or 9 D-men, 15 forwards, and 2 goalies. I really wish we could see Garteig a little longer, but that's not likely to happen. The kid has a good set of skills.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If Tryamkin was smart, he'd be begging for a ticket to Utica so he could play big minutes alongside Stecher. A few months together, developing chemistry - they could end up as a solid 3rd pair in Vancouver together next season.

anyway, I think we're all looking forward to reading your post game reports.....so thanks in advance.

You're welcome. I'll keep poking away at these damned keys. LOL

Maybe Stecher and Pedan form the same type of duo. Billins/Sautner compares with Fedun/Sautner last season. The problem is a partner for Subban. Nilsson could be it. If not, Shields wins out by process of elimination as he is the only solid defensive guy in the leftovers that could possibly hold the fort when Jordan screws up. He understands positional play, has size, keeps the puck to the outside, blocks shots, breaks up passes, and makes a very good first pass. He was the best at it last season and was a PTO, nothing flashy just gets it done. I haven't seen Troy or Nilsson yet. I only have their reps and feedback from Vancouver. Troy is offensive and Tom is stay at home D with a physical edge.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Another note on Stecher. He was drafted by Portland and Green as a Jr., went the NCAA route. So we know Green was high on him and Troy stated he is aware of Green's rep and is looking forward to working together and learning all he can from Travis.

Wow, another connection to one of Vancouver's people from the past.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Begging to go to Utica?.....well as a player with an entry-level contract he'd be earning $900,000 a season in the NHL and about 70 grand in Utica...maybe it was his accountant who was begging him to stay in the NHL.:sarcasm:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Actually, Nilsson was a pretty decent d-man with the Marlies when he was in TO's system....starting to like the look of this new Comets squad....blueline will be tested, but guys like Stecher and Subban can drive some offense, and they have a veteran netminder in Bachman if Demko falters at all....and up front guys like Megna, Rendulic, Chaput and Etem (if he clears) are quality forwards at this level.....and Zalewski-Labate look like they've made strides......might take a few games to gel, but looking solid.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Begging to go to Utica?.....well as a player with an entry-level contract he'd be earning $900,000 a season in the NHL and about 70 grand in Utica...maybe it was his accountant who was begging him to stay in the NHL.:sarcasm:

I think he's talking about talent and ice time. This could turn out to be his only NHL paycheck if he doesn't bring his game up. The press box won't do that and Green could possibly clean him up and help prepare for a lot of future NHL paychecks. Maybe a short lapse of income would be worth the future nest egg. He's made a bunch of $$$ in the KHL; enough to see him through a winter in Utica. Cost of living is way lower here than that in Vancouver.

Last edited:

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Well this comes as a complete surprise. At today's question and answer meeting, Rob Esche said that the comets and canucks are currently negotiating a contract extension. They currently are starting year 4 of a 6 year contract.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Well this comes as a complete surprise. At today's question and answer meeting, Rob Esche said that the comets and canucks are currently negotiating a contract extension. They currently are starting year 4 of a 6 year contract.

For those that don't know Mark Caswell Jr is the Comets VP of Communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad