The Utica Comets | Final Thread | THANK YOU, UTICA!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I don't want to see this happen but at least Utica keeps AHL hockey around (though that name does suck). The Canucks I'm sure will join the other western teams with a California based affiliate. I guess the experience this season was enough to push them to make this change.
Maybe it will be the Vancouver Comets, and the team plays out of the big rink? The owner could cut down on expenses for coaches and some other crossover things?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
How did Woo look without Rathbone?

He tries to play the same game. Problem is that Wesley sucks in comparison to BONE. Under pressure Wesley goes to panic park. Woo did just fine when he was in control of his situation, but when Wesley panicked, or a forward did because the Bruins forecheck was fierce from the 2nd period on, Woo was left on his own. He did not make any moves that resulted in any disasters.

He was on the ice for the PP goal before the 1st ended. He was playing the left side of the box. The goal came on a slapper from the offensive LW (defensive right side).Wesley was the defender on that side. He and a Bruin were in the line of the shot. Hofer could easily have grounds to say he didn't see it. Woo had nothing to do with the PP goal against. He was not out there for any of the other 5 goals.

In short, he handled himself quite well considering.

Last edited:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
He tries to play the same game. Problem is that Wesley sucks in comparison to BONE. Under pressure Wesley goes to panic park. Woo did just fine when he was in control of his situation, but when Wesley panicked, or a forward did because the Bruins forecheck was fierce from the 2nd period on, Woo was left on his own. He did not make any moves that resulted in any disasters. He was on the ice for the PP goal before the 1st ended. He was not out there for any of the other 5 goals.

Is that Glen Wesley's son?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wouldn't rule that out either. Maybe out of the Coliseum.
We should have a lot of young guys on the AHL team, so if it’s in town I can see the games being very well attended. When we’re allowed to attend, of course.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd also like to say, though I suspect that some of the people I want to say it to have me on ignore, that for all my differences of opinion on the role of the AHL team and Bennings handling of it that I'll be sad to see our Comets posters move on if this move does happen. You are passionate and informative fans who provide a unique insight into the team and its prospects and serve as a sobering voice for those of us who may overrate what we have down on the farm. If this crazy season is our last together I want to thank each and every one of you for your investment in our AHL team.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Is that Glen Wesley's son?

Yes, it is. 1,457 NHL GP with Boston, Hartford, and Carolina.

His Uncle Blake also played in the NHL with Philadelphia, Hartford, Quebec, and Toronto. 298 GP and an additional 264 AHL GP.

Not sure how many genes were inherited, but he has a long ways to go to find himself on an NHL roster especially considering he is 25 already. However, I would definitely believe the fact that his dad was Direector of Player Development for the Carolina Hurricanes had something to do with why they drafted him in 2014. He played out his 3-yr ELC in the organization, mostly in the ECHL.
In 2019-20 he signed an AHL contract with the San Antonio Rampage, the ST.Louis Blues AHL affiliate. Not a surprise that his dad was and still is a Development Coach with the St. Louis Blues. He signed another such contract with Springfield and was assigned to Utica since Springfield was to be the new St.Louis AHL affiliate, but opted to cancel their season and sent players to Utica a per agreement between St. Louis and Vancouver to share an AHL affiliate in Utica.

Isn't nepotism a great thing?

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I'd also like to say, though I suspect that some of the people I want to say it to have me on ignore, that for all my differences of opinion on the role of the AHL team and Bennings handling of it that I'll be sad to see our Comets posters move on if this move does happen. You are passionate and informative fans who provide a unique insight into the team and its prospects and serve as a sobering voice for those of us who may overrate what we have down on the farm. If this crazy season is our last together I want to thank each and every one of you for your investment in our AHL team.
While it would make sense to be affiliated with an east coast team it would be my preference to stay with the Canucks over the Devils. Certainly the distance between Utica and Vancouver creates some challenges the relationship has been a good one. It has created a lot of Canucks fans in Utica because very few locals consider them a rival. If the Devils do end up coming here the die hard Ranger fans will vow to not support them and especially if they force the Devils name on the team. Others with long memories remember the bitterness when they pulled out of Utica the last time they were here.

I'm not a fan of Benning and Johnson but I do appreciate the Canucks giving our city a second chance on AHL hockey and hope it lasts a few more years.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
While it would make sense to be affiliated with an east coast team it would be my preference to stay with the Canucks over the Devils. Certainly the distance between Utica and Vancouver creates some challenges the relationship has been a good one. It has created a lot of Canucks fans in Utica because very few locals consider them a rival. If the Devils do end up coming here the die hard Ranger fans will vow to not support them and especially if they force the Devils name on the team. Others with long memories remember the bitterness when they pulled out of Utica the last time they were here.

I'm not a fan of Benning and Johnson but I do appreciate the Canucks giving our city a second chance on AHL hockey and hope it lasts a few more years.
I can see both sides of the coin on this one.

On the one hand, Utica is by all reports a wonderful hockey community that provides a place where young players can focus on hockey without the pressure of being a celebrity. It's also great for travel between games and getting the players extra practice time without cutting any games as is the case on the west coast. These are both wonderful advantages and ones worth treasuring especially when combined with the vocal crowd support.

On the other hand, being located on the west coast makes it far easier for members of the Canucks management team to directly interact with the farm system. Travel between the farm location, be that in California or the greater Vancouver area is also easier and this may allow for more frequent and less disruptive cup of coffee style call-ups for players doing well in the AHL. In addition, fewer games played means fewer chances for a young player's career to be derailed by injury in what can be a very physical league. Finally if the new Canuck's AHL team is somewhere nearby it also makes it harder to neglect as Canucks fans can actually go and see the team, this should mean more and better signings as we'll need to ice a watchable product to keep fairweather Vancouverites interested in the team.

I wouldn't mind seeing some continued partnership between Utica and Vancouver but I fear the writing is on the wall.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
He tries to play the same game. Problem is that Wesley sucks in comparison to BONE. Under pressure Wesley goes to panic park. Woo did just fine when he was in control of his situation, but when Wesley panicked, or a forward did because the Bruins forecheck was fierce from the 2nd period on, Woo was left on his own. He did not make any moves that resulted in any disasters.

He was on the ice for the PP goal before the 1st ended. He was playing the left side of the box. The goal came on a slapper from the offensive LW (defensive right side).Wesley was the defender on that side. He and a Bruin were in the line of the shot. Hofer could easily have grounds to say he didn't see it. Woo had nothing to do with the PP goal against. He was not out there for any of the other 5 goals.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown! :thumbu:

Really good to hear that Woo seems to be handling AHL pretty well right now.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
There's a chance Aidan McDonaugh and Linus Karlsson join Utica next season from a Canucks prospects perspective. Other than that, it'll come down to the signings of Benning, such as Bailey, Graovac, Rafferty, etc. All of which are sitting on the taxi squad. Such a tough and wasted year for many players in this organization.

Focht and Woo are rookies. You gotta cut them some slack, but also expect them to be better next season. The season started okay, it looks like it could go downhill if more people are taken away from the roster.

At the end of the day, this season is a wash for Comets and Canucks. They can hardly get games played in, nevermind wins!

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There's a chance Aidan McDonaugh and Linus Karlsson join Utica next season from a Canucks prospects perspective. Other than that, it'll come down to the signings of Benning, such as Bailey, Graovac, Rafferty, etc. All of which are sitting on the taxi squad. Such a tough and wasted year for many players in this organization.

Focht and Woo are rookies. You gotta cut them some slack, but also expect them to be better next season. The season started okay, it looks like it could go downhill if more people are taken away from the roster.

At the end of the day, this season is a wash for Comets and Canucks. They can hardly get games played in, nevermind wins!
Some talk that our farm might not be in Utica next season. With the number of young guys coming it would be great to have the team here.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Not a fan of moving the Comets out west, what with possibly longer travel that could go towards more practice time instead. It was one of the perks of having an AHL team so close to many others, and I'm not entirely sure it'll stay that way if they do move.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not a fan of moving the Comets out west, what with possibly longer travel that could go towards more practice time instead. It was one of the perks of having an AHL team so close to many others, and I'm not entirely sure it'll stay that way if they do move.
With so many prospects on the farm, who need NHL experience (we need to get these guys NHL minutes so we can see what we have and where they’re at in development. Plus, it gives the player an idea of what they need to improve to fit into an NHL role) I think having the farm team close outweighs the loss of practice time, which would only be marginal anyway. AHL games are mostly weekends (better chance for attendance) so there would be lots of practice during the week. That, and flights to California, where the other teams are mostly, is direct and only a couple hours. Guys go play their weekend games and fly home. There are no long eastern road trips like the big club has.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The AHL in the PNW simply doesnt work right now. The travel would be horrendous for the players, even if Seattle put their team in the Puget Sound area.

We have a really good situation with Utica as a farm team, but our organization needs to stop dicking around and put an actual manager in place and build the team with more than just the odd mid round pick or NHL signing who busted.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well Cull put together a 4th line for yesterdays game and for whatever reason gave them a shitload of ice. If learning by fire is a wise maneuver he gave them their baptism under the gun.

Keppen/Kaspick/Jackson
Keppen's first rookie professional game. A 4th line opportunity with players incapable of easing him in. He hasn't played a game in a year. Reported to Utica on 4/7. He was added to the roster until this past week. They gave him the opportunity to train before doing so. Regardless of the practice and conditioning time, he looked fatigued early in every shift and was totally gassed on a couple shifts when his line got trapped in their own end. On one such shift he helped get the puck up ice, but the Bruins regained possession in the neutral zone and Evan couldn't get across the ice to change up so had to get back and try to play D against a fresh group of Bruins.

Kaspick has accrued 22 AHL points in 2 seasons with San Antonio in 105 GP. He has 1 point, an assist, with the Comets this season in 10GP. He has been used often as a penalty killer.

Jackson is a 2nd year pro playing only 4 of his 61 pro games in the AHL before this season. With the Comets he has played 5 games and has 2 assists.

So cutting to the chase 2 of these guys are AHL rookies and one of them is 100% raw.

This is the kind of line you give sheltered minutes. Cull rolled them as regular part of a 4-line rotation.
The result was 3 goals against (Goals 2, 3, and 5) playing vs the Bruins top 5 scorers:
#1 Jacob Lauko
#2 Cameron Hughes
#3 Lantosi
#4 Paul Carey
#5 Brady Lyle

Poor Kaspick was also on the PK unit for the 1st GA meaning he was out there for 4 of the 6 goals against while his linemates only suffered 3 GA. The D-pairs were Tucker and Reinke for 2 of them and Teves and Eliot for the other one.
Tucker was out there for 4 GA to match Kaspick for the dunce cap. Reinke and Tucker paired up for 3 GA.

Reinke leads the D with -10
Wesley -7
Tucker -5
Up front Baertschi takes the lead at -9
Kaspick -5

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Even as somebody who lives in Abbotsford and would love a team, they would be best suited to move the team to California if they really want to move it out west. Cheaper, shorter travel, easier on the prospects. Unless there is going to be some sort of agreement between Van/Edm/Cgy to get teams in BC/Alberta but I highly doubt that

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The AHL in the PNW simply doesnt work right now. The travel would be horrendous for the players, even if Seattle put their team in the Puget Sound area.

We have a really good situation with Utica as a farm team, but our organization needs to stop dicking around and put an actual manager in place and build the team with more than just the odd mid round pick or NHL signing who busted.

It couldn't more black and white than that.
Perfectly put, short and sweet.

Reactions: Clinton Comets EHL

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Even as somebody who lives in Abbotsford and would love a team, they would be best suited to move the team to California if they really want to move it out west. Cheaper, shorter travel, easier on the prospects. Unless there is going to be some sort of agreement between Van/Edm/Cgy to get teams in BC/Alberta but I highly doubt that
I think the team is coming here, and playing out of “The Garage”. I think that will likely cost our owner less, even with the added travel. Plus, half th3 games are at home, and mostly on weekends.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I routinely attended Abbotsford Heat games, because the price of a ticket was cheap and AHL hockey was the next closest thing to the NHL. And when the Comets hit town, the rink was jammed. But for the rest of the schedule, it was pretty well a lost cause.

As other posters have pointed out, if the Canucks are vacating Utica, it's either a venue like Rogers Arena or the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver; or they find a home in California.

I suppose all this was inevitable when Seattle entered the league, and all the Western teams would have their AHL affiliates a lot closer by.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Yeah, there’s too much smoke.

Where are we going to find our new Bad Goalie?!!?!?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think the team is coming here, and playing out of “The Garage”. I think that will likely cost our owner less, even with the added travel. Plus, half th3 games are at home, and mostly on weekends.
Yes this is most likely given the short time between now and next season if that's the case

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad