The Utica Comets | Final Thread | THANK YOU, UTICA!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Face off to Hofer's left.

Lots of arguing by the Bruins over a close in shot that might have gone in. Ref rules no and that's that.

Faecoff to Hofer's right. The puck squirts off the draw to the right wing off the edge of the circle and he just walks in challenged to Hofer and roofs it. Terrible defensive coverage on a FACEOFF.

5-2 Bruins.

The Comets have been out of this game since the last 5 minutes of the the 1st.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
What?

Neither the Blues or San Antonio fanbase considers Stevens as a disappointment. He was never really considered to be more than a B-level or maybe even C-level prospect. We mostly view him as a gritty two-way player who's defensively responsible and could develop himself into a 4th line (injury replacement) player, no one is expecting him to become more than that due to his subpar skating. We don't expect him to be a sniper. To be fair, Stevens actually did really well last year considering he started the year with the Rampage as a healthy scratch and gradually had to work his way into the line-up. He eventually got 31 points (9 goals) in 50 games mostly from the Rampage third line with a limit-ish amount of minutes played.

The Blues are blessed with really good goalie prospects with Joel Hofer, Colten Ellis and Vadim Zherenko. Technically Fitz might be the most talented of the bunch. However, it seems like Fitz' suffers from some sort of mental issue that's holding him back and as long as he can't get his shit together he will never be more then a ECHL-level goalie. Last season he couldn't even secure a spot with the Tulsa Oilers and had to be temprarily loaned to the Brampton Beast untill the Blues had to pull him from there aswell. I'm still hoping he can figure 'it' out, but I don't see that happening soon unfortunatly.

I received the Stevens info in the preseason by a couple of Blues people and a review of the top Blues prospects. I simply repeated what I read. The review said the Blues expected more scoring from him. I saw the points and most were assists. it didn't bother me, but that's what the review said.

The review actually said something to the effect this may have been his last chance to make an impact that could get him a shot in St.Louis.

He has not been a standout here. NHL quality isn't evident.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets give up another one. I was away for a moment and I don't need to run it back to get a look.

6-2

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets get a PP. Get nothing out of it. Now it'ds 5 on 3 for a bit. Don't even challenge for a score.

Now the 5 on 3 is over and they have a 5 on 4. They didn't even get the puck into the offensive zone in 4 minutes of man advantage time.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Bruins blow a 3 on 1 in the last minute. Almost think they just shot it wide on purpose. Even the Bruins recognized the Comets had no answer to their opponent.

It's mercifully over.

Finalscore is 6-2

SOG were 40-27 Providence.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Final Score:
Providence Bruins 6 Utica Comets 2

SOG:
Comets - 8 13 6 = 27
Bruins - 10 19 11 = 40

PP:
Comets - 0/5
Bruins - 1/4

Nolan Stevens (3), from John Stevens (2) Lockwood (4)
McKenzie (3) from Jasek (11) and Anas (13)

3 Stars:
1 Jakub Lauko (Providence Bruins) 2A
2 Robert Lantosi (Providence Bruins) 2G
3 Brady Lyle (Providence Bruins) 1G/1A

Crazy that 1 guy out of 6 D-men could make this much of a difference, but Rathbone was gone and the D played like crap.
The Comets now only have 6 D-men on the roster.

Puzzling that no injury appeared to occur on Wednesday, but today Gadjovich and Baertschi didn't play and it was not reported as to why. Canucks reported to have players too sick to play which to me means they aren't going to play again this season. Are Gadj and Baedrtschi along with Rathbone to get their quarantine going so they can be available as soon as possible?

Last edited:
Reactions: supercanuck

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Comets getting sloppy in their own end and also in the neutral zone.
Turnover after turnover and as usually happens when this is going on Anas gets 2 minutes. His first of the season.

Shot right off the draw. Save by Hofer. One timer from the left wing and it's in.

Last minute of the period goals are just killers. Instead of taking a 2-0 lead into the locker, it's 2-1 and the Bruins have life.

19:25 and it's 2-1.

The names and the faces change but but the last minute in the period never does. 8 seasons of it.

Reactions: lindgren

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
So I wish all you Uticans the best of luck with your new affiliation with New Jersey.
God help us.
Screenshot_20210416-195317_Chrome.jpg

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Although, not having Jim Benning or Ghost Johnson around or bumbling their way would be nice.

Cull never being heard from again would be tremendous.

Reactions: vanuck

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Cool logo but the name is rough. They could have stuck with a celestial theme and gone for something like the Utica Lucifers or the Utica Morningstar and had both the devil and celestial theming.

Reactions: vanuck

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Is Jersey taking over Utica a season their affiliate actually happening, or just speculation?
Speculation but seems to have some momentum. News in Binghamton that there are issues between management in NJ and local management in Binghamton. Combined with Esche trademark the Utica Devils brand.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Cool logo but the name is rough. They could have stuck with a celestial theme and gone for something like the Utica Lucifers or the Utica Morningstar and had both the devil and celestial theming.
The Comets name has a long tradition in this area dating back to the 1950s I believe. The Clinton Comets in the 1960s won several championships including the best single season record in minor league professional hockey history. Robert Esche has done a fantastic job of honoring the Comets history. NJ always forces their brand and name down on their AHL team which is unfortunate.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Comets name has a long tradition in this area dating back to the 1950s I believe. The Clinton Comets in the 1960s won several championships including the best single season record in minor league professional hockey history. Robert Esche has done a fantastic job of honoring the Comets history. NJ always forces their brand and name down on their AHL team which is unfortunate.
I get that, I was mostly proposing a compromise that might be more palatable than outright being called the Devils.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Final Score:
Providence Bruins 6 Utica Comets 2

SOG:
Comets - 8 13 6 = 27
Bruins - 10 19 11 = 40

PP:
Comets - 0/5
Bruins - 1/4

Nolan Stevens (3), from John Stevens (2) Lockwood (4)
McKenzie (3) from Jasek (11) and Anas (13)

3 Stars:
1 Jakub Lauko (Providence Bruins) 2A
2 Robert Lantosi (Providence Bruins) 2G
3 Brady Lyle (Providence Bruins) 1G/1A

Crazy that 1 guy out of 6 D-men could make this much of a difference, but Rathbone was gone and the D played like crap.
The Comets now only have 6 D-men on the roster.

Puzzling that no injury appeared to occur on Wednesday, but today Gadjovich and Baertschi didn't play and it was not reported as to why. Canucks reported to have players too sick to play which to me means they aren't going to play again this season. Are Gadj and Baedrtschi along with Rathbone to get their quarantine going so they can be available as soon as possible?

How did Woo look without Rathbone?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I don't want to see this happen but at least Utica keeps AHL hockey around (though that name does suck). The Canucks I'm sure will join the other western teams with a California based affiliate. I guess the experience this season was enough to push them to make this change.

NFGBbYw.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad