GDT: The UNEXPECTED GDT! Flames vs. Sharks

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Babchuk was his worst contract AIEC

Listening to offers on a player is not the same as having them on the block. It is also rumored he for a first round pick plus for Backlund. If we received an offer of a 1st plus for Backlund that is something Treliving would likely do too.

Dreger: Backlund and Bouwmeester on the Trade Block

I can't recall anything about a first round pick for Backlund. And even if that's true, no, I don't agree that Treliving would make that trade, not unless the 'plus' was significant. Backlund's a core piece even if he's tremendously undervalued by some.

Is there anything to back these numbers up? It sounds like fan speculation to me. We know he made him an offer but he himself said it was unlikely Richards would come here but he wanted to put an offer in anyways.

I was wrong about the details.

Bob McKenzie:
Flames general manager Jay Feaster was the GM of the Lightning when Richards was there and there's no question that Feaster put together a package that had Richards thinking very long and hard about the option of maybe going to the Flames. The deal is believed to be in the same sort of financial neighbourhood as the Rangers' offer - maybe up around nine years at $64 million.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Dreger: Backlund and Bouwmeester on the Trade Block

I can't recall anything about a first round pick for Backlund. And even if that's true, no, I don't agree that Treliving would make that trade, not unless the 'plus' was significant. Backlund's a core piece even if he's tremendously undervalued by some.
How is other teams kicking tires on Backlund the same as Feaster shopping him? They are not the same. And obviously the cost was high enough that the other teams didn't bite. If anything you just proved my point.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Well obviously the asking price on Backlund wasn't met. Also keep in mind it's Twitter, and it's Dreger.

Don't know what twitter has to do with anything.

But anyway, Feaster was literally fired just three weeks after putting Backlund on the trade block.

Plus, at the same time, Monahan went down with an injury allowing Backlund to finally get an opportunity to succeed. Not that Burke was going to make significant moves right after taking over but it was no longer possible to trade him given the absolute dearth of centres in the organization at time, given Feaster's incompetence in that regard.

But who knows, if Feaster had had enough time, what terrible trade he might pulled off.

Did now read the second part of the tweet? The Flames were willing to move him; he was available for trade. It's pretty clear cut.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

But anyway, Feaster was literally fired just three weeks after putting Backlund on the trade block.

Plus, at the same time, Monahan went down with an injury allowing Backlund to finally get an opportunity to succeed. Not that Burke was going to make significant moves right after taking over but it was no longer possible to trade him given the absolute dearth of centres in the organization at time, given Feaster's incompetence in that regard.

But who knows, if Feaster had had enough time, what terrible trade he might pulled off.

Did now read the second part of the tweet? The Flames were willing to move him; he was available for trade. It's pretty clear cut.

I think most GMs will tell you that they are willing to move just about anyone. Otherwise you're shutting yourself off from being able to improve your team.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I think most GMs will tell you that they are willing to move just about anyone. Otherwise you're shutting yourself off from being able to improve your team.

Sure but there's a difference between passive talks and active ones.

When TSN says the Hurricanes made a firm offer for Backlund (rumoured to have been Tuomo Ruutu) but the Flames say they want an age comparable player in return (likely because of Burke's influence; given Feaster's history re: Cervenka, he probably completes that trade and thinks he wins) then things are little more active then people here are willing to accept.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sure but there's a difference between passive talks and active ones.

When TSN says the Hurricanes made a firm offer for Backlund (rumoured to have been Tuomo Ruutu) but the Flames say they want an age comparable player in return (likely because of Burke's influence; given Feaster's history re: Cervenka, he probably completes that trade and thinks he wins) then things are little more active then people here are willing to accept.
You really have a hate on for Feaster. It's like you absolutely refuse to believe he could make any good decisions on his own since any good decision he makes you chalk up to someone else influencing him.

You also seem to think Feaster believes everything he said, I think that is highly unlikely. He is a lawyer that feels the need to spin everything.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
You really have a hate on for Feaster. It's like you absolutely refuse to believe he could make any good decisions on his own since any good decision he makes you chalk up to someone else influencing him.

You also seem to think Feaster believes everything he said, I think that is highly unlikely. He is a lawyer that feels the need to spin everything.

I've said before that Feaster's done good things here, namely with contract negotiations and letting Button control the draft for two of his three years. I've also called him out on the things he did poorly. He was not skilled at trading and that much is a fact that everyone acknowledges. He's a lawyer but he couldn't even do certain tasks in that area all that adeptly, as evidenced by the offersheet and failing to get Iginla's list in writing. As a lawyer, he should have been well versed in knowing the danger in speaking in absolutes, yet he couldn't stop.

There seems to be a lot of missing the forest for the trees by some here when it comes to looking at Feaster's tenure. Way too much re-writing history, especially when it comes to making it seem like he planned this years success entirely, when in reality he couldn't stop flip flopping all over the place - 'we're too big and slow and unskilled' became 'we're too small and soft,' and so on.

There's a reason why despite interviewing for numerous GM's spots he wasn't chosen after being let go from Calgary. And there's a reason why the only job he got was a pity hire from the Lightning that see's his presence in the NHL drop to non-existent. And there's a reason why all he does now is make sarcastic and bitter tweets; he knows he's finished.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Because a) you only have so many characters, its nearly impossible to get the whole story, b) any idiot can say stuff, c) Dreger isn't actually known / respected as an NHL insider.

Being put on the trade block is not the same as listening to offers about a player. We have no idea of the actual timeframe here either, just heresay & guessing. There were also rumours that he was a piece in a proposed Ryan O'Reilly trade with Colorado.

I do recall Feaster saying once upon a time that Backlund would never amount to more than a third line centre in this organization, so there's that. Not sure if that's Feaster (who admittedly wasn't a hockey guy) or Weisbrod.

Or who knows, maybe he robs someone. Not sure what arguing about what might have happened accomplishes.

It's pretty clear cut that yeah, sure he may have been available - for the right price, and that price wasn't met. Did you not read the first part of my post?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Because a) you only have so many characters, its nearly impossible to get the whole story, b) any idiot can say stuff, c) Dreger isn't actually known / respected as an NHL insider.

Being put on the trade block is not the same as listening to offers about a player. We have no idea of the actual timeframe here either, just heresay & guessing. There were also rumours that he was a piece in a proposed Ryan O'Reilly trade with Colorado.

I do recall Feaster saying once upon a time that Backlund would never amount to more than a third line centre in this organization, so there's that. Not sure if that's Feaster (who admittedly wasn't a hockey guy) or Weisbrod.

Or who knows, maybe he robs someone. Not sure what arguing about what might have happened accomplishes.

It's pretty clear cut that yeah, sure he may have been available - for the right price, and that price wasn't met. Did you not read the first part of my post?
I thought that comment was Burke when he was talking about how much more valuable Backlund was than he originally though and that he thought when he came in that Backlund would be no more than a third line centre.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I thought that comment was Burke when he was talking about how much more valuable Backlund was than he originally though and that he thought when he came in that Backlund would be no more than a third line centre.
Possibly. All I know is someone in management said it, and it was long enough ago that I don't remember who did.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

A) You're allowed to make more than one tweet about a subject
B) verified accounts

Backlund was listed as being made available. Maybe it's just semantics, but listing a player as available isn't the same as listening to offers. The latter suggests a move only at the right price, something that teams do with just about every player while the former is a more active term, as in actually inviting other GM's to make offers. They were clearly looking to trade him.

The time frames pretty clear too.

May have come from a season ticket holders meeting transcribed on calgarypuck

They view Backlund as a third-line center going forward and a good one as his ceiling. Fan posed the question that he has some of the best advanced numbers on the team, but Feaster countered with he has big time durability issues.​

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm pretty sure the rumours at the time were that Backlund was available, but the asking price was a 1st. When Backlund was playing on the 4th and even scratched for a game, the vultures were calling the Flames hoping to get bargain bin pricing, that didn't happen. At least that's what I remember, I could be wrong.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm pretty sure the rumours at the time were that Backlund was available, but the asking price was a 1st. When Backlund was playing on the 4th and even scratched for a game, the vultures were calling the Flames hoping to get bargain bin pricing, that didn't happen. At least that's what I remember, I could be wrong.
That's what I remember too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad