Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
B87QES0CQAEVhP5.jpg

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Awfully considerate of Raymond to go on a hot streak so close to the trade deadline. Unlike that jerk Cammalleri.

Anyway, Aaron Ward's a genius. Never thought I'd be writing that.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yep, we start winning again and the main boards starts to pull advanced statistics out of their *** to claim that we shouldn't be winning.

I guess we'll have to play all 82 games to convince them.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Yep, we start winning again and the main boards starts to pull advanced statistics out of their *** to claim that we shouldn't be winning.

I guess we'll have to play all 82 games to convince them.

I think most haters out there are jealous that year two of a rebuild has us in the playoffs and a strong prospect pool for future success.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think most haters out there are jealous that year two of a rebuild has us in the playoffs and a strong prospect pool for future success.

I think most are brainwashed that you need to have like 3-5 years of top 10 picking to be successful long term. The problem with what they think is that we drafted well prior to the picking of the 2013 draft. We have more NHL ready prospects than what most teams in year 2 of the rebuild would have.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think most are brainwashed that you need to have like 3-5 years of top 10 picking to be successful long term. The problem with what they think is that we drafted well prior to the picking of the 2013 draft. We have more NHL ready prospects than what most teams in year 2 of the rebuild would have.

You do have to give Feasters group credit for having the foresight to start stocking the cupboards long before Iggy and Bouw were dealt.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You do have to give Feasters group credit for having the foresight to start stocking the cupboards long before Iggy and Bouw were dealt.

I know a lot gave Jay a bad rep (including myself at times), but bottom-line, he did a fantastic job here. I just don't think that he kept his promises. Burke/Treliving have been better voices for the Flames.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I know a lot gave Jay a bad rep (including myself at times), but bottom-line, he did a fantastic job here. I just don't think that he kept his promises. Burke/Treliving have been better voices for the Flames.

It would of been nice if it had worked out that Jay was an AGM who handled player signings. I don't think he ever really signed any bad contracts for the Flames. Wideman was questionable at the time but it looks just fine now. What Jay lacked in trading acumen he made up for in his player negotiations. I agree he wasn't a good spokesperson or face for the franchise but he did quite a few good things here.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It would of been nice if it had worked out that Jay was an AGM who handled player signings. I don't think he ever really signed any bad contracts for the Flames. Wideman was questionable at the time but it looks just fine now. What Jay lacked in trading acumen he made up for in his player negotiations. I agree he wasn't a good spokesperson or face for the franchise but he did quite a few good things here.

Funny how Treliving and Feaster are so different. Feaster was good with drafting and UFA signings (not offersheets :laugh:), Treliving is better at player development and trading.

We need a Brad Feaster.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You know what Burke and Treliving offer that Feaster/Weisbrod never could, is credibility. Feaster and Weisbrod did an excellent job of identifying FA's in Hudler and Wideman, they didn't shoot for the stars. They went after the guys they wanted and paid them market value. They also did a great job drafting.

But the huge downside to what they did was that we were a laughing stock in the NHL. Jankowski was fine for a pick, but Feaster made an outrageous comment following drafting him. Then there was the ROR fiasco. The perceived value from around the NHL we got back in the trades for Iginla and Jbo was poor, I believe Burke even commented on such that other GM's he spoke to felt this way.

So yes, Jay deserves ALL the credit for building our roster the way he did. But I'm happy that we have our current management team in place that we do now. FA's know this is a great place to play, the team is run well and our owners are willing to spend money.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
You know what Burke and Treliving offer that Feaster/Weisbrod never could, is credibility. Feaster and Weisbrod did an excellent job of identifying FA's in Hudler and Wideman, they didn't shoot for the stars. They went after the guys they wanted and paid them market value. They also did a great job drafting.

But the huge downside to what they did was that we were a laughing stock in the NHL. Jankowski was fine for a pick, but Feaster made an outrageous comment following drafting him. Then there was the ROR fiasco. The perceived value from around the NHL we got back in the trades for Iginla and Jbo was poor, I believe Burke even commented on such that other GM's he spoke to felt this way.

So yes, Jay deserves ALL the credit for building our roster the way he did. But I'm happy that we have our current management team in place that we do now. FA's know this is a great place to play, the team is run well and our owners are willing to spend money.

Agree 100%.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Disagree with the bolded. Feaster had Backlund on the trade block shortly before he was fired - almost a guarantee he wouldn't be a Flame if Feaster had more time. He was the one who offered Brad Richards 50M over 7 years. He wouldn't have traded Berra nor signed Hiller.

Frankly, if Feaster was still the GM, this team is battling it out with the Coyotes for a top five pick right now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Babchuk was his worst contract AIEC

Disagree with the bolded. Feaster had Backlund on the trade block shortly before he was fired - almost a guarantee he wouldn't be a Flame if Feaster had more time. He was the one who offered Brad Richards 50M over 7 years. He wouldn't have traded Berra nor signed Hiller.

Frankly, if Feaster was still the GM, this team is battling it out with the Coyotes for a top five pick right now.
Listening to offers on a player is not the same as having them on the block. It is also rumored he for a first round pick plus for Backlund. If we received an offer of a 1st plus for Backlund that is something Treliving would likely do too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is there anything to back these numbers up? It sounds like fan speculation to me. We know he made him an offer but he himself said it was unlikely Richards would come here but he wanted to put an offer in anyways.
Even then it was market value. Just because Richards was bought out in New York doesn't mean he wouldn't have played well here.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I could have sworn the offer was worse... Wasn't it an 8 year contract around the 60m range?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad