Player Discussion The Underrated Brock Boeser

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
As of this post, Brock has 38 goals 69 points in 74 games. Yet, I've seen many posts about getting rid of him / don't try to re-sign him.

It seems that his (poor) play over the previous seasons have made a lot of posters question his value going forward. I get it. But he is also on his way to a 40 goal season. For reference, we haven't had a 40 goal scorer since Daniel and Kesler did it in 2010-2021 (I would say that maybe Horvat would have accomplish this had he not been traded).

I'm kind of interested in the discussion since Boeser has finally broke through and putting together the type of season (in terms of goal scoring production at least) that we had long hoped.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Not underrated at all,
He is under appreciated here though imo.

To be fair, I’m a big Boeser fan but he definitely can return a great haul especially if vancouver retains part of his salary. I have no problem letting him go if the price is right.

Also…. 69 points? NICE

Reactions: racerjoe and B-rock

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
69 points? And how many the last two months?
The guy has played the whole season with the points leader of the team and almost ALL the PP time with the best dman and other best forward. 80% of his ice time he is surrounded with the best players on the team. ANY player, PDG, Joshua, Suter, Lafferty have all got points playing with those guys.

He is slow, can't hit the holes with his shot anymore which is not nearly as lethal as it used to be.

AND HE ASKED FOR A TRADE!!!! MORE THAN ONCE!!!!

So grant his request. The only reason it didn't happen last year was he had 2 more years on his contract and the Canucks would not retain or add any sweeteners to move him.

HE WANTED OUT SO BADLY HE GOT HIS AGENT HELPING THE CANUCKS AND THEY AGREED!!!!

If a player doesn't want to be on the team, then his number is up especially once it becomes public. He will always be remembered that he asked for a trade, to get out of Vancouver to get close to Minny.
Remember Hodgson? Many fans here insisted he was being sheltered so he looked better than he was, that is what is happening to BB.

The team needs as much of the 6.65 mil cap as they can get.
Horvat scored over 30 and was replaced
Boeser scores over 30 and will be replaced, last year it was to be Kuzmenko next year it will be Joshua.

There are players that want to be here and fans want them dealt due to thinking they are not worth 7 million.

If he is not on the PP or playing with Miller or Pettersson how well does he do?
Kill penalties? NO. Carries a line by himself, the feature player on a line? NO. Selke candidate? NOT CLOSE! 1rst forechecker in? NO! Superior stick handler? NO! Is any line ever referred to as the Boeser line? NO! He is more a complimentary player now than before.

BUT he does not a bad job on the boards in the offensive zone.

He should be sniping goals from 25 feet out, he should be carrying the puck more, he should have more primary assists, he should be a threat all the time but he will be outplayed by most teams 3rd liners. He should be more like Horvat was but he isn't close. He has the size but IMO too many injuries have made him hesitant and he is still taping that wrist, the one operated on 3 times.

At 6.65 million he isn't under rated but his points are over rated.

This season could his first ever that he plays a whole season.

And now with only one more season on his contract hopefully his past numbers combined with this year's totals will assist in getting a decent return in a trade. ANY trade if the team gains cap space is a plus. And there are teams that can use his stats in the market place for ticket sales.

At the draft or during next summer the team will be upgraded.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Screenshot_20240402_053901_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240402_053917_Chrome.jpg

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
13th highest scoring RW in the NHL since his rookie season. Produced at a 1st line rate every season, including seasons before Pettersson, JT Miller, or Hughes were even on the team.

He's certainly a player that can frustrate, due to his lack of speed and the fact he takes too long to make decisions with the puck. But his offensive instincts are still top notch and because of that he consistently produces.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
13th highest scoring RW in the NHL since his rookie season. Produced at a 1st line rate every season, including seasons before Pettersson, JT Miller, or Hughes were even on the team.

He's certainly a player that can frustrate, due to his lack of speed and the fact he takes too long to make decisions with the puck. But his offensive instincts are still top notch and because of that he consistently produces.
I've always been a Boeser booster, even when people got most down on him. This is a guy who's played at a 65 points-per-82-games pace his entire career. An questionable first line calibre player on a club that needed talent for seemingly a decade. I get that he is not above criticism, but step back and Brock has been a really good player for Vancouver, and has even been used in toughs/matchup situations.

He is coming off a career season though, and one year from UFA, and from that perspective, trading him at his highest value could have some appeal. But the club is in win-now mode, and any assets from a Boeser trade would necessarily have to be spun into an equal or better forward. The team is already starved for offensive forwards and trading one away doesn't really help. I don't really see a realistic scenario where you can turn Boeser into a better forward. Maybe something like Boeser for Ehlers (because WPG and Bowness don't like him), but I'm not sure if you're overall better with that.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

I get the lack of foot speed thing although it's brutally overplayed by our own fanbase. But slow decision making? That's totally incorrect. There might not be a player on this team that makes less mistakes than Boeser.

This is a player that is trusted to close out games in the final minutes yet there's a portion of our fanbase that would say he's bad defensively. I'm not sure I've ever seen a player more incorrectly analyzed. This thread will be an excellent example of it all.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
He's a fine player, but he's levelling off more towards what he'll be on average over the past three months versus a rather unsustainable shooting percentage (well over 20%) over the first half of the season. He was down to around 12% shooting percentage in March, which is probably too low for him on average.

He's a complimentary guy, so the fall-off in goal scoring over the past 24 or so games (~2 months) largely coincides with a down period for the PP and Pettersson has fallen off similarly.

Miller has really been the only forward consistently producing since February, which has caused all the line juggling in the top-six, plus Lindholm not working out.

We still need to figure out who everyone should be playing with. A Pettersson rebound would certainly help Boeser's numbers.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
He's been extremely consistent at putting up points his entire career. That probably won't change.

His biggest issue is conditioning, I think he's been too heavy for years. This year he came into camp in better shape and it showed.

Even though he's been great value this year and probably will be next year as well, I don't want to give a fat UFA contract with term to someone whose had conditioning issues their entire career. If he took another four year deal or so that would work for me, but he won't.

I'd be fine keeping him as a self rental next year if a good opportunity doesn't come along but it'd be nice to convert him into a different top 6 wing or top 4 d or some sort of asset that will help the team longer than just next year.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He's a fine player, but he's levelling off more towards what he'll be on average over the past three months versus a rather unsustainable shooting percentage (well over 20%) over the first half of the season. He was down to around 12% shooting percentage in March, which is probably too low for him on average.

He's a complimentary guy, so the fall-off in goal scoring over the past 24 or so games (~2 months) largely coincides with a down period for the PP and Pettersson has fallen off similarly.

Miller has really been the only forward consistently producing since February, which has caused all the line juggling in the top-six, plus Lindholm not working out.

We still need to figure out who everyone should be playing with. A Pettersson rebound would certainly help Boeser's numbers.

It's probably a career year for goals for Boeser but it's just strange to me that Boeser gets so much more negative feedback.

Miller, Joshua, Lafferty, Hoglander and Boeser are all shooting at unsustainable rates and all of these players except Boeser get praise for their roles.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
It's probably a career year for goals for Boeser but it's just strange to me that Boeser gets so much more negative feedback.

Miller, Joshua, Lafferty, Hoglander and Boeser are all shooting at unsustainable rates and all of these players except Boeser get praise for their roles.
Its the natural progression of a Vancouver player, in the eyes of the fans.

EP40 is experiencing the same now that he has his big extension.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Miller is a different beast in my opinion, he's been fairly consistent in most metrics through the entire season, so I'm not sure I'd call anything he's doing unsustainable at this point.

The rest are largely depth guys making relative peanuts, who get basically zero PP time. Both Boeser and Pettersson deserve criticism for the offensive struggles, especially in March. Everyone, Miller included, share the blame for the PP problems.

I'd actually expect some positive adjustment on Boeser's goal-scoring moving forward, as he did probably suffer from some bad luck in the last 10-12 games.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
The team had poor coaching over the last 3 seasons resulting in horrible defensive habits for almost every player. Boeser fixed that in the first half of the season, but it's slowly crept back over the end-of-season stretch. I'm not gonna pretend that I'm not worried about which Boeser we'll get in the playoffs/next season, and whether that inconsistency is worth committing to long-term.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I have no issues with keeping Boeser until his contract expires.

If he scores 40 again next season, then I don’t mind keeping him long term. He’s put up points consistently over his career and he does bring valuable offense to the group.

He’s a good board battler, strong on the puck, one of our best PP guys and has shown to be one of our best net front presence guys on the team. I see no reason why he can’t score 30 again next season.

The speed thing gets overblown a lot. He’s like our Patrick Sharp. Just a consistent top 6 winger.

Reactions: calnuck

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
I have no issues with keeping Boeser until his contract expires.

If he scores 40 again next season, then I don’t mind keeping him long term. He’s put up points consistently over his career and he does bring valuable offense to the group.

He’s a good board battler, strong on the puck, one of our best PP guys and has shown to be one of our best net front presence guys on the team. I see no reason why he can’t score 30 again next season.

The speed thing gets overblown a lot. He’s like our Patrick Sharp. Just a consistent top 6 winger.
I just don’t understand the negativity around him. Aside from Miller he’s the most reliable player to put pucks in the net. Everyone bitches and moans about other players not being able to score but they also want to ship him out asap, one of the most consistent goal scorers on the team. Mind boggling

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I just don’t understand the negativity around him. Aside from Miller he’s the most reliable player to put pucks in the net. Everyone bitches and moans about other players not being able to score but they also want to ship him out asap, one of the most consistent goal scorers on the team. Mind boggling

It's perplexing. And most of the arguments revolve around 'easy to replace cause' winger and slow'.

We are weak on the wings and Boeser is really the only top line winger.

Again it really comes down to poor player assesment/analysis. Bieser has leveled up his game this year but he's also one of the only players that will apparently go back to old Boeser. Opinions haven't changed from 1.5 yrs ago time for our fanbase to reevaluate Boeser's value.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Even when he was being whipped on Sbisa-style, Boeser's the kind of guy who produces just because he knows where to go on the ice and who should have the puck. He can look soft and slow at times but he gives himself a chance every time just because he has really good hockey IQ while being able to finish plays. All that said, he can still be infuriating to watch because when he's not scoring or at least keeping possession he's not really the guy who will win foot races or win battles.

Reactions: theguardianII

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
He is not reliable.He is streaky.He will score 2 or 3 goals then nothing for the next 10.He can be lazy,and plays to soft.He is like Cinderella on ice.Playoffs come and he is the 1 I'm watching the most.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

It’s because he’s not really a play driver on his own and when the guy’s largely driving offense (Miller, Hughes and Pettersson) are struggling, Boeser doesn’t look great.

Some of it is on him though, as mentioned he’s had an abnormally low shooting percentage the past 4-5 weeks so maybe some bad luck, because Miller has still been chugging along.

If he was in Hyman’s position he’s the type that would easily soak 50 goals with McDavid, in my opinion.

Reactions: F A N

Pogotheclown

Oct 11, 2015
Streaky sniper. poor passer. Poor almost everything.
If you could clone him and have a line with three BB, they would be at a minus 200 every season.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It's perplexing. And most of the arguments revolve around 'easy to replace cause' winger and slow'.

We are weak on the wings and Boeser is really the only top line winger.
Kuzmenko just scored a goal that Boeser hasn't in 3 years. His second of the night some how he got in front of the puck (that's sarcasm because Boeser is almost always a trailer or takes an extra second and a half to get to the net) and tipped in one from the side. What if he had played all year with Miller and on the first power play?
If he was in Hyman’s position he’s the type that would easily soak 50 goals with McDavid, in my opinion.
As they used to say a fire hydrant would score 50 goals playing next to Gretzky. Boeser isn't fast enough to play with McJesus.

Boeser had a good game vs Vegas, didn't score but was a catalyst on Hoglander's goal. He was playing with the second best point producer and best 5 on 5 scorer on the team though.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Kuzmenko just scored a goal that Boeser hasn't in 3 years. His second of the night some how he got in front of the puck (that's sarcasm because Boeser is almost always a trailer or takes an extra second and a half to get to the net) and tipped in one from the side. What if he had played all year with Miller and on the first power play?

Kuzmenko sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad