Speculation: The underdogs could entertain

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The 2012 LA Kings finished the regular season at 40-27-15 and then went on a tear en route to their first franchise cup win. All they have to do is get in and who knows what's going to happen. The roster doesn't suck, it's just that no one is playing to their fullest potential. If they get in, I'd say that Montreal, while the most daunting of any potential opponent, could be the best thing to happen to the Bruins in the first round. If they lose, they are exactly what we thought they were. But if they win, it'd be one of those galvanizing series that could potentially propel the team through the rest of the playoffs. Look at the Rangers last year against Philly. Look at the Kings last year against SJ. All they gotta do is get in.

The difference with us and the LA and our previous years is the D, again.

La's D was strong, they just couldn't score before deadline, but that D was very strong, and our D was very strong, our biggest asset,
now chara and seids are past their prime and boychuk is gone.

We can say that yeah the kings won last year but our D is nowhere near the level it needs to be.

and this frustrates me, our forwards+rask can challenge anyone but strong D wins you the cup. Now we can't even limit chara's or seids minutes and we have to overplay rask to even get into playoffs, that's horrible.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
The difference with us and the LA and our previous years is the D, again.

La's D was strong, they just couldn't score before deadline, but that D was very strong, and our D was very strong, our biggest asset,
now chara and seids are past their prime and boychuk is gone.

We can say that yeah the kings won last year but our D is nowhere near the level it needs to be.

and this frustrates me, our forwards+rask can challenge anyone but strong D wins you the cup. Now we can't even limit chara's or seids minutes and we have to overplay rask to even get into playoffs, that's horrible.

True but it isn't impossible to think Chara and Seidenberg could rebound and play well in the playoffs.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
True but it isn't impossible to think Chara and Seidenberg could rebound and play well in the playoffs.

I have to disagree with this.

When your two best defensemen are dealing with knee injuries this late in the season it is too much to expect that they will miraculously heal themselves and start playing the way they are capable of playing just in time for a playoff run.

I'll bet anyone five bucks that Chara has his knee operated on right after the Bruins' season ends.

Last edited:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I have to agree with this.

When your two best defensemen are dealing with knee injuries this late in the season it is too much to expect that they will miraculously heal themselves and start playing the way they are capable of playing just in time for a playoff run.

I'll bet anyone five bucks that Chara has his knee operated on right after the Bruins' season ends.

Chara has shown flashes of his old self lately in my opinion. He was absolutely terrible against the Habs last year anyway and we still went to game 7.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I'm hoping for this, but seids was already declining before his injury and he was ready to return 10 months ago.

And this is why I wanted us to add d help, limit chara's and seids minutes so they can give everything they have left and get them as close as possible to their prime form. This deadline didn't help them at all and rask is having a rough 2nd half.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I'm hoping for this, but seids was already declining before his injury and he was ready to return 10 months ago.

And this is why I wanted us to add d help, limit chara's and seids minutes so they can give everything they have left and get them as close as possible to their prime form. This deadline didn't help them at all and rask is having a rough 2nd half.

If Morrow is healthy I would be getting him in some games.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Morrow is healthy I would be getting him in some games.

But how likely that is, and that if he comes up either chara or seids would rest?

I want to see him up but our fight for that 2nd wild card spot is too close.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
If the defense can hold up; and Tuukka gets hot at the right time; I do think we still have a chance this year to make a run, but it would need to involve a good degree of luck.

I'm most concerned right now to see how Julien shuffles the lines with the two new players. I'm hopeful that Spooner and Pastranak don't get relegated to bottom line minutes (or worse) after providing a bit of a spark the past few games.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Bruins made the Cup Final with Krug, Bart and Dougie in the top 6, no reason this defense can't get their **** together and make another run. I do worry what will happen if another is injured..Chia dropped the ball there, needed another NHL dman.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Bruins made the Cup Final with Krug, Bart and Dougie in the top 6, no reason this defense can't get their **** together and make another run. I do worry what will happen if another is injured..Chia dropped the ball there, needed another NHL dman.

I'm hoping that with some miracle we end up at #1 wild card spot and avoid the habs. I'd want to see bruins- isles 1st round series.
Get confidence up in that series and then go after the habs.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Yup and Krug barowski and Hamilton should be much better players today than they were then

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I agree but it is different now that they are expected to be prime contributors. No Ference No Boychuck. Let us hope.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I like this team's chances in the East if Connolly can find a spot and find the net. The defense is suspect but Rask can be the x factor in any series as we saw vs. Pitt. I hope to see Morrow get some experience down the stretch or in the playoffs since he's likely going to be necessary next year. I'm not seeing the gloom and doom, at least not at this point.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
A couple things that absolutely need to happen for the Bs to have a chance to get past the second round. First, the D and forwards both need to cut down drastically on ill-timed turnovers. We have been getting burnt in a big way this season after making dumb turnovers in the defensive zone. Dougie, Seids, and Z for whatever reason have been brutal in this department. That needs to improve, especially against speedy teams. Second, the forwards have to start lighting it up. I don't see out D getting much better. We honestly do not have a single shutdown line on D, and Chia failed to improve the Bs on D. Therefore, the forwards need to get their act together and start taking advantage of solid shooting opportunities. Too many missed shots when goals should have been scored. We are going to get scored on regardless of Tuukka since the D is subpar, thus we will need vastly increased offensive production, especially against the Habs. If these two things fail to happen then the Bs will be hitting the golf course early.

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts
A couple things that absolutely need to happen for the Bs to have a chance to get past the second round. First, the D and forwards both need to cut down drastically on ill-timed turnovers. We have been getting burnt in a big way this season after making dumb turnovers in the defensive zone. Dougie, Seids, and Z for whatever reason have been brutal in this department. That needs to improve, especially against speedy teams. Second, the forwards have to start lighting it up. I don't see out D getting much better. We honestly do not have a single shutdown line on D, and Chia failed to improve the Bs on D. Therefore, the forwards need to get their act together and start taking advantage of solid shooting opportunities. Too many missed shots when goals should have been scored. We are going to get scored on regardless of Tuukka since the D is subpar, thus we will need vastly increased offensive production, especially against the Habs. If these two things fail to happen then the Bs will be hitting the golf course early.

THIS. Sorry but I've also seen a lot of underdog Bs teams get swept. The strength of the Bs always began on the blue line. And this year we don't even have that as a starting point. I hope I am wrong.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006

All true. Unfortunately compounding the problem is that the forwards too often expend too much time and energy in the defensive zone, circling back to help with loose pucks or backchecking because of shoddy defensemen play. Once they do get the puck going the other way, their 50 second shift is nearing the end, and thus they dump it in. This limits offensive opportunities.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
If the defense can hold up; and Tuukka gets hot at the right time; I do think we still have a chance this year to make a run, but it would need to involve a good degree of luck.

I'm most concerned right now to see how Julien shuffles the lines with the two new players. I'm hopeful that Spooner and Pastranak don't get relegated to bottom line minutes (or worse) after providing a bit of a spark the past few games.

Probably luck in our favor and some bad luck for the opponent like Price getting the flu or something.

Honestly I think with the Stars aligning just the right way thisnteam could pull it together and win but their defense would have to have some magic and the offense would need to score more goals. Tuukka has it in him to steal a series of two but the one team i don't see him stealing one from is the Habs. To beat the Habs that's all IMO in scoring on Price and playing good defense and Julien throwing the system out and getting creative.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
This could turn out to be a really fun team to watch.

It could also lure me in to another devastating heartbreak after a long hard slurp on the cool aide.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Probably luck in our favor and some bad luck for the opponent like Price getting the flu or something.

Honestly I think with the Stars aligning just the right way thisnteam could pull it together and win but their defense would have to have some magic and the offense would need to score more goals. Tuukka has it in him to steal a series of two but the one team i don't see him stealing one from is the Habs. To beat the Habs that's all IMO in scoring on Price and playing good defense and Julien throwing the system out and getting creative.

By getting creative do you mean as far as mixing up the lines ? I don't want to see Krejci and Lucic playing together against Montreal. The line wound up chasing the Habs the whole series. I like Lucic with the kids against Montreal.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'm hoping that with some miracle we end up at #1 wild card spot and avoid the habs. I'd want to see bruins- isles 1st round series.
Get confidence up in that series and then go after the habs.

I don't think you want to wish for any opponent. You know why? Because it means they are mentally preparing for something to be easier. Mentally preparing for what's ahead, than what's in front of them. That's the last thing they need. Let everything fall into place, and prepare for step one.

Right now the focus needs to be, MAKE the playoffs. Before we worry about any 1st round opponents.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
By getting creative do you mean as far as mixing up the lines ? I don't want to see Krejci and Lucic playing together against Montreal. The line wound up chasing the Habs the whole series. I like Lucic with the kids against Montreal.

Not so much mixing up the lines but injecting some speed and adjusting the system to something a little different.

One issue this team has with the Habs is that they have solved the system to some degree. They pressure our Dmen with a hard forecheck and have their Dmen play a little more agressively to pick off the pass up the boards. Maybe instead of the d to d pass then pass up the boards they should do something different.

They also need to find away counter act and neutralize the speed.

The creativity I want isn't "hey let's switch the right sings around and see what happens" it's an adjustment to how the Habs play us because our system doesn't work against the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad