Speculation: The underdogs could entertain

roll4lines

Apr 24, 2014
CNY
The bruins haven't been a true underdog going into the playoff since when? 09-10? When I say true underdog, I don't just mean standings wise, actual talent and team chemistry wise. The Bruins have been contenders from early 2011 all the way to getting bounced in the 2014 playoffs. In that window they brought us home a Cup, a Finals appearance, and a premature exit after a presidents trophy. While the loss to the caps was premature, that season really seemed like a cup hangover year the whole way through. Not making excuses, just saying.

We are in a transition year after throwing our chips in on iginla last year and falling short, it is what it is and now we pay the price. You can argue we needed another top 4 D last year but it didnt happen. Either way we were confident going into the playoffs with what we had.

It's been a somewhat miserable year with lackluster performances but if we can get into the playoffs, the pressure isnt on the mighty bruins anymore. A little injection of youth regardless of inexperience could provide some entertainment late into the season and hopefully into the playoffs. pasta and connolly would provide that. So we have some run down vets from the 2011 run? it is what it is. They dont have value so we have to ride them until they are off the books this summer. There is some merit to the "trust in the team" fluto article in that these guys need to ride out the season and make the best of it. Not necessarily that it is ideal but it was our only option without chia doing something incredibly stupid. Hopefully the guys can take at least that from it and run with it.

Are we contenders this year? I wouldn't categorize ourselves as such. Here's hoping we can take the underdog approach and letting the kids learn the system and see if we cant do some damage. Hopefully they can be competitive and fun to watch in the meantime.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Bruins have always done better when they are underdogs, so they've got that going for them at least.

They really just need to get into the playoffs. And anything can happen. They need to get there though. They are still performing under expectation.

I do feel like if they DON'T get it done though, the core is going to be split up. And management possibly rearranged/removed.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think they respond better as underdogs too.

This is a team that could steal a round or two in the playoffs (much like 2009/2010), but the one team I don't think they can steal crap from this season is the Habs and right now they appear to be on course to drawing them round 1 if they make the playoffs.

roll4lines

Apr 24, 2014
CNY
This is a team that could steal a round or two in the playoffs (much like 2009/2010),

I was thinking the same.

regarding management, for the great years they have given us, why not give them through the offseason and into next fall before lopping heads off? We all knew what would happen if we fell short last year and here we are.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
If Julien would insert the kids like Spooner and Ferlin into the lineup instead of the likes of Campbell we could probably give the Habs a run for their money, will we become as fast as them, no, but we can close the gap and make a series of it.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Of course the underdog Bruin teams were much tougher and had a great deal of heart and determination, something this club has not shown. This group of underdogs reeks of entitlement and laziness for the most part, there are exceptions, but for an underdog team to win everybody needs to play to the best of their abilities every night, something this team hasn't done.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

This is a team that could steal a round or two in the playoffs (much like 2009/2010), but the one team I don't think they can steal crap from this season is the Habs and right now they appear to be on course to drawing them round 1 if they make the playoffs.

Still a ways to go. The draws are far from being set in stone.

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
Well, a bit of good or bad luck can go a long way, particularly with injuries. How many posts did the Bruins hit in the series against the Habs? An upset or two on the other side of the bracket and a team has an easier path forward. The season isn't over by a long shot.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
should probably make it into the playoffs before talking upsets

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm so torn with this right now,

Our forwards can challenge anyone now, our 2 way game will be amazing if kelly is on the 4th line, balanced 4 lines like I've said many times.

BUT

the D, it's the worst among playoff teams and that's going to kill us, Rask is now going/continued to get overplayed and he has nothing left when playoffs start.

So in my mind chia did this deadline with 50%, he did something, but didn't do enough to make us challenge the habs.

But if somehow rask can rest before playoffs and he's lights out, + our forwards are on fire we can challenge anyone in the east.
This is/was a playoff team after all.

And if we can rest chara+seids before playoffs start it would be a huge help for us, we need everything they have left to give us now.

The pressure on rask/bergeron will be huge. And if we want to go through habs those 2 are the ones who will carry us over them.

Bruins Uncensored

frmrly Scotiahockey
Feb 16, 2003
Nova Scotia
I seem to remember them being underdogs going into the 2011 finals, by a fair margin.

That worked out OK.

There is character on this roster, that has not been lived up to so far this season, that will emerge when most needed. :)

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I seem to remember them being underdogs going into the 2011 finals, by a fair margin.

That worked out OK.

There is character on this roster, that has not been lived up to so far this season, that will emerge when most needed. :)

They were underdogs but they were still a very good team in every major stat except PP (can't remember the regular season stat but we all know how bad the PP stunk in the playoffs).

This year's team is more like the 2009/2010 team that was a real mixed bag of stats and players. They just embraced their under status and played with a nothing to lose attitude. It helped that Tuukka played really well. I still think the Philly series would have been a Bruins sweep of 5 games if Krejci hadn't been injured.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I will never sell this core short until they are out. I think they could have used more help, but excited to see Connolly and Talbot here.

I mean, if that trade works out, how is that for some young right wingers? Connolly-Pasta-Smith ?

Selke37

Bear since 1989
Dec 5, 2011
Bruins World
Only way I see this team winning a series is if NYI win the conference.

i like our chances against Tampa we are 8 0 since 2012, ok only one game this season but we are just a bad matchup for them. (additionally: Tied season series against DET and PIT)

Games involving Boston and Tampa Bay beginning with the 2012-13 season:

2012-13 season: Thu Feb 21 2013 at TB Boston 4, Tampa Bay 2
2012-13 season: Sat Mar 2 2013 at Bos Boston 3, Tampa Bay 2
2012-13 season: Thu Apr 25 2013 at Bos Boston 2, Tampa Bay 0
2013-14 season: Thu Oct 3 2013 at Bos Boston 3, Tampa Bay 1
2013-14 season: Sat Oct 19 2013 at TB Boston 5, Tampa Bay 0
2013-14 season: Mon Nov 11 2013 at Bos Boston 3, Tampa Bay 0
2013-14 season: Sat Mar 8 2014 at TB Boston 4, Tampa Bay 3 (SO)
2014-15 season: Tue Jan 13 2015 at Bos Boston 4, Tampa Bay 3

Primary team Boston: 8-0 in these games.
Goals for Boston: 28
Goals against Boston: 11

Last edited:

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
I will never sell this core short until they are out. I think they could have used more help, but excited to see Connolly and Talbot here.

I mean, if that trade works out, how is that for some young right wingers? Connolly-Pasta-Smith ?

I can think of one way that would be better :sarcasm:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I think in order to upset the Habs players who haven't played particularly well against them in the past will have to shine. Guys like Lucic and Krejci Rask would have to play like he did in the Pittsburgh series in 2013.

8 Spokes

Feb 7, 2010
Boston, MA
The 2012 LA Kings finished the regular season at 40-27-15 and then went on a tear en route to their first franchise cup win. All they have to do is get in and who knows what's going to happen. The roster doesn't suck, it's just that no one is playing to their fullest potential. If they get in, I'd say that Montreal, while the most daunting of any potential opponent, could be the best thing to happen to the Bruins in the first round. If they lose, they are exactly what we thought they were. But if they win, it'd be one of those galvanizing series that could potentially propel the team through the rest of the playoffs. Look at the Rangers last year against Philly. Look at the Kings last year against SJ. All they gotta do is get in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad