The Tyler Arnason Trophy: Avs LVP

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I guess the LVP should be a guy thats
1)played at least half the year
2)if you removed him from the lineup it would actually have helped the team
3)or not mattered at all.

Nick Holden based on that haha. My LVP is Lake Como but only when hes in the top 6 and on the PP same applies to Mitchell I guess. Way too many LVP's

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
Beginning of the year primarily, when he was C the 4th line with Skille and Cody
And then playing W on Soda's line when he was struggling mightily.
Centering a line with Dutch on the line or Iggy.

Beginning of the year, a whole what, 5 games? After which he did jack squat. Regardless of playing wing with Soda or centering Dutch.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Hands down Mitchell wins because of his lazy, indifferent play about 75% of the time he's on the ice. Here's a guy who was an important piece of the puzzle the first 2 seasons in Denver, but this season he became pretty much of a nightly non-factor if you ask me. I say award him his Tyler Arnason Trophy, trade him for some draft picks & be done with this slug once and for all.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Runner-up for the award is Iginla. He got his fair share of goals---to his credit, but Jarome just floats way too much out there for someone who's supposed to be a veteran leader on this club. I really didn't see a whole lot of spark from #12 this season, and the scary thing is he'll be even slower & more lackadaisical next campaign. Yikes!

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Or person that was the farthest from meeting expectations?

If that's the parameter, I'd vote Johnson. Didn't fell like he was the #1 dman.

Definitely lots of deserving recipients of that one. Mine would go to Varlamov.

I think I'm with Kento here, it's either Varlamov or MacKinnon for me personally. EJ played great until the injury, had a bad spell, and then got a bit better.

Varly crapped the bed all throughout the season, one thing hes done almost every year hes been here is step up his game in the second half of the season and be one of the best goaltenders in the league in the second half. Yet he was unable to climb out of his hole for more than a months worth of games all year.

MacKinnon because he showed us what hes capable of for such a short time, and didn't even seem like he was on fire. He also never found a way to climb back out of it. Hes got so much more to give and we've already seen him do it for long stretches.

Didn't this kid match or break some records for consecutive games with a point as a rookie?

Hands down Mitchell wins because of his lazy, indifferent play about 75% of the time he's on the ice. Here's a guy who was an important piece of the puzzle the first 2 seasons in Denver, but this season he became pretty much of a nightly non-factor if you ask me. I say award him his Tyler Arnason Trophy, trade him for some draft picks & be done with this slug once and for all.

Ahh, so many people are seeing the light with Mitchell. I got so much crap for wanting him gone or stapled to the 4th line not that long ago.

----

I still pick Holden though, nothing will have more of an impact than a fringe NHL defender who should be a #6 or #7 defender playing top four minutes all year. Yes it may not be his fault he played that much, but at almost 22 minutes a night he had the largest negative impact by a fair margin.

It would have been nice had he embraced his role next to Barrie, and played a safe physical game more often than not as well. Yet he was completely happy over-handling the puck, icing it with no pressure over and over again, and pinching at stupid times.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
No player escapes this season without some of the stink on them. All core players (Landeskog, Barrie, Duchene, MacKinnon, EJ and Varlamov) have had long stretches where they simply weren't good enough. The terrible start of the season was due to many of them being underwhelming and though they made it exciting, digging a hole early makes it very hard. To get back in it the team have to be in playoff mode for most of the season.

Beachemin did what is fair to be expected of him and the rentals were ok. Pickard played well. Söderberg had a good season overall but he too had stretches where he was invisible.

Just because some of us feel Roy is a major problem, it doesn't mean we absolve the players. They need to be better. I don't think EJ was significantly worse than any other core player. He's a bit annoying because if he got rid of some of the brain crampy things he does, he would be really good.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
some of you forgot how Arnason, he who which this award was named, played

I didn't as I watched him for years with the Hawks and then the Avalanche

clearly the answer as I stated earlier is Tanguay

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
John Mitchell.

If Mitchell had half the scoring ability Alexander Ovechkin had, he's be a 50 goal scorer. The guy wastes so many offensive opportunities. He's not good defensively, either. This is the year my feelings towards Mitchell changed from laughing at his "Malkin-ness" to hoping and praying he's off this team next year because he's so, so bad.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Of guys still on the roster you could vote for any one of Mitchell, Holden, McCleod or Iginla and I could make an argument that it was the right pick. All four of them really suck and shouldn't be occupying a space on the roster next season.

Of the core players my LVP has to go to either Barrie or MacK. MacK because of how drastically his play trailed off, he has so much potential but we just aren't seeing it yet. Barrie because I'm not sure he knows how to play defense or what team he plays for because he basically passes it to the other team at an alarming rate. We can not pay Barrie a ridiculous amount, it would be a big mistake. He has skills offensively but a mess in is own end and too often he thinks he is Bobby Orr on offense, but he's not so he puts us in lots of bad positions due to the stupid stuff he tries.

I didn't vote Varly for core player LVP because even though it wasn't a good year for him he got hung out to dry so often it wasn't even funny. Duchene and Landeskog both aren't consistent enough but were usually our best forwards. EJ was not good either this year but was fine before the injury and looked better once it seemed to finally heal. I think he was playing hurt for awhile after coming back.

You know it's a bad year when I can think of a reason for pretty much every player on the team to be LVP.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
some of you forgot how Arnason, he who which this award was named, played

I didn't as I watched him for years with the Hawks and then the Avalanche

clearly the answer as I stated earlier is Tanguay

Tanguay was embarrassingly bad, I'll admit. But was it coz he physically had run out of steam, or was it from lack of effort (ala Arnason)? Or both? Whatever the reason, his last season as an Av was one I'm sure we'd all rather sweep under the rug and forget.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
yeah if you go strictly by the name of the award, the winner should be Tanguay. but as I don`t think that was the intention, I`ll give one more vote to core player Holden. nothing stinks more than a #7 playing more that 20 minutes a night. I`m pretty sure if someone has the time to look at all goals against in this season, he will be the guy responsible for the biggest number of turnovers resulting in a goal. Guenin would be head to head with him, but he was buried in these past few months so...

anyway, I know Arnason is kind of a recurrent joke around here but I think there are other players much more deserving of such an 'honor' as Zanon, Orr' Brien, Cliche, Shantz, Battaglia...

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Pick one of Mitchell, Holden and Tanguay if we go for players that played more than half the season.
If we go by biggest disappointment those will obviously change.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Stuart has to be mentioned tho guys who were injured all year isn't really fair.

Everything combined, yeah Tanguay. From an expectations/disappointment standpoint, for the lack of production and for the hurting the team with him in the lineup unfortunately.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Holden gets so much undeserved hate. Yes, he is not supposed to be a #3. He should be 3rd pair. And if here were there, he would look fine. All of you folks crying for him to be off the team any way possible really think 3 of Bigras, Zadorov, Guenin, Redmond, Bodnarchuk, Gormley, Stuart and Gelinas were for sure better this year?

Bigras: most sheltered D on the team, yet worst 5v5 possession. It will get better, but this year it was not.
Zads: Yep, he was better IMO.
Guenin: He is where he belongs now.
Redmond: No clue how his Corsi looks so good when he looks so bad.
Bodnarchuk: should have given him back to CBus.
Gormley: Does not even look good in the AHL, would rather have Elliott back.
Stuart: is he dead?
Gelinas: Might be better, but did not really look it. We can hope.

As far as the award.

For inconsistent, lazy play (the true Arny): Mitchell.
Worst play with the most talent: Tangs due to age.
Worst F overall: Skille
Worst D overall: Guenin
Worst F for the money: Iggy due to age
Worst D for the money: EJ
Worst G: Varly
Worst under 23...tough call between Rantanen and Bigras. Could be MacK as well, if considering expectations.

I actually went through and did the full roster, only a couple had no major complaints.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm seeing a lot of people are finally in the "Get rid of Mitchell and Holden asap" camp. Good, gooood, let the hate flow though you.

I've been harping on those scrubs for years, the more apologists turning to the light the better. I guess it helps that we lost our final 6 games. Usually the people defending them do so when we're a winning team.

They're two of Roy's favorite players as well, which is scary because as long as he's still around he's gonna keep giving them way too many minutes and opportunities.

The fact that he called 'olden a core player is probably the best evidence that he has a very delusional mindset.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Holden gets so much undeserved hate.

Actually, it's the opposite. He gets so much undeserved defending.

If he played defense as good as people here defend him, he wouldn't need to be defended at all.

Yes, he is not supposed to be a #3. He should be 3rd pair. And if here were there, he would look fine.

He should be in the AHL. No, he would not look fine on the 3rd pair. He would be the new Redmond/Bodnarchuck.

All of you folks crying for him to be off the team any way possible really think 3 of Bigras, Zadorov, Guenin, Redmond, Bodnarchuk, Gormley, Stuart and Gelinas were for sure better this year?

The fact that this can even be an argument just shows how godawful our D is. "Yeah he sucks but he's slightly less sucky then these other sucks" we need help back there so badly. :laugh:

Worst F overall: Skille

No way, he's one of the few players who were actually good more than not. Payed within his limits, worked hard, did everything a 4th liner should do and then some.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I see a lot of defending of Holden on here. While I agree that it's not his fault that he was put in a position well over his head, he single handedly is at fault for more goals against than any other player and that makes me hate him.

If a miracle happened and for some reason Joe Sakic offered me a contract and Roy played me every night of course I would be in well over my head but you guys would still all hate my guts for being so terrible.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Arnason Trophy (Least Valuable Player) - Alex Tanguay
Zanon Trophy (Worst all-around defenseman) - Nate Guenin
Raycroft Trophy (Worst Goaltender) - Semyon Varlamov
Stewart Trophy (Worst Defensive Forward) - Jarome Iginla
Lemieux Trophy (Least Gentlemanly Player) - Gabriel Landeskog

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
One thing about Tangs though is that he did allow us to get Boeds and if we end up extending him that kind of makes his value a bit better overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad