The Twelve Labors of Nail Yakupov

that780

Nov 21, 2015
The 0
In term of a first overall pick, ya Yaks a bust, but I still believe he can be a Kuntiz type player who plays with Crosby, at a low cost.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
From what I saw, allot more of his shots were on net than recently, particularly with McDavid. That's what I meant by hitting the mark. He also seemed to be in better shooting positions. But since McDavid has been injured, he's gone downhill. Part of the McDavid effect has an effect both on his play on the ice as well as Yaks confidence IMO. Same thing can be said about Roy. Yakupov was broken under Eakins and Roy, I believe, gave him the confidence to apply his skill properly, much like McDavid.

This is far from an excuse for Yakupov. Just the way I happen to read it. If you don't read it that way, that's all good too. That's just my opinion on the situation as a whole at this time.

Well I took "hitting the mark" to mean scoring. It says something that just getting shots on net would be referred to this way.
I don't think Yakupov is playing that much different than he was with McDavid, but then I don't think he's playing that terrible now. Not great, not terrible.
To me the difference is not confidence, it's McDavid. Yakupov just seems like he's a passenger. Not in terms of work ethic but in results.
It's also not that he didn't contribute to the line (with McDavid) he just can't carry a line.
It might make him a disappointment as a first overall but it doesn't mean he can't be a useful player.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
And if his linemates create a scoring chance and he can't capitalize on it? He's the best scorer on his line, why is he trying to get his teammates goals when he's the one who should be doing it?

He's stuck at two goals. There are many worse players playing with crappy linemates who are scoring at a better or similar pace. His old buddy and former whipping boy Sam Gagner has just as many goals.

Yak has to score. When he's with McDavid he can make good passes, when he's not with McDavid he needs to go to the net and bang in rebounds.

Scoring goals in the NHL is not that hard. Yet Yakupov can't do that and hasn't consistently since he arrived in the NHL. We can appreciate his effort but for a #1 pick that simply isn't enough. When the team consistently loses by a single goal they could use one form him.
:dunce: Maybe on "Beginner" level for your XBox but in reality its the hardest part of the game.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Unless Yakupov is playing with Mcdavid for his entire career I don't think he will ever put up 50 points. The guy is a complete mess offensively without getting gimme assists from Mcdavid working his magic. Not to mention he is the furthest thing from a goal scorer I have ever seen.
But this kid did it in his rookie season and was on pace for 53 points.
Was he not playing LW with Gagner, and Hemsky that year? Maybe he needs to be switched back

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
But this kid did it in his rookie season and was on pace for 53 points.
Was he not playing LW with Gagner, and Hemsky that year? Maybe he needs to be switched back

He went on his hot streak during the last month of the season playing RW on a line with Gagner and Hall if I remember correctly.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He went on his hot streak during the last month of the season playing RW on a line with Gagner and Hall if I remember correctly.
I can't remember either. Either way he's a supporting player and can't be put on a line with the likes of Gordon, Belanger, Jones, Letestu, and Lander.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm starting to think that maybe part of the problem with Yakupov finding linemates to play well with is his tendency to go on streaks, then falling off. He just hasn't been very consistent in his play over the lst 3 or so years from what I see. Part of his inconsistancy may be mental . He's got to dig deeper into his own being and find a consistant source of energy.

I'll read palms later. :D:D

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Yak needs to reach out to Oates for help, he looks to have saved Teddy Purcell's career. If he could just more reliably get off his A+ shot and place it where he wants it to go would make a big difference and just a few tips about better positioning in the offensive zone would help out as well.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
Yak needs to reach out to Oates for help, he looks to have saved Teddy Purcell's career. If he could just more reliably get off his A+ shot and place it where he wants it to go would make a big difference and just a few tips about better positioning in the offensive zone would help out as well.

I'm really starting to question if his shot is really A+... For sure his shot power is A+, his ability to get into position and get his 1 timer of quickly is more in B range, his shot accuracy is in the C range and that is being generous, his release on his snapshot from carrying the puck is also in the B range... He seems to surprise the goalie with his release but always either hits the goalie in the chest or misses the net.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm really starting to question if his shot is really A+... For sure his shot power is A+, his ability to get into position and get his 1 timer of quickly is more in B range, his shot accuracy is in the C range and that is being generous, his release on his snapshot from carrying the puck is also in the B range... He seems to surprise the goalie with his release but always either hits the goalie in the chest or misses the net.

I think his accuracy is vastly over rated by some.

He isn't even close to being in the same category as a player like Eberle in that regard.

The issue I have with Yaks play is that when he isnt scoring he isnt doing much of anything else to contribute. The best Yak seems to do when he isn't scoring is not to be a defensive liability.

Yak has to re-invent his all around game because the game he brought with him from Junior doesn't cut it at the NHL level.

i really question if he has the will to do that.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
In a way Yakupov kind of reminds me of Brule. Both were able to dominate Junior but they weren't able to bring their game to the NHL level due to lack of size. They're are so many great traits in Yakupov's game that it is possible to see him be a 30 goal/30+ assist player. He just needs to fine tune some parts of his game and play with a skilled center. There's no shame in being a Kunitz and leeching points off of Mcdavid. Look at all the skilled wingers that have played with Crosby and no one has had the same level of success like Kunitz. Yakupov could end up being a cheap, complimentary player to Mcdavid and I can accept that.

Baby Nilsson

Apr 20, 2006
Victoria
In a way Yakupov kind of reminds me of Brule. Both were able to dominate Junior but they weren't able to bring their game to the NHL level due to lack of size. They're are so many great traits in Yakupov's game that it is possible to see him be a 30 goal/30+ assist player. He just needs to fine tune some parts of his game and play with a skilled center. There's no shame in being a Kunitz and leeching points off of Mcdavid. Look at all the skilled wingers that have played with Crosby and no one has had the same level of success like Kunitz. Yakupov could end up being a cheap, complimentary player to Mcdavid and I can accept that.

Thing is Yak still has the ability to be a dangerous forward - something those two lack. If he continues to mesh with McDavid and starts hitting the net again along with better accuracy we'll have a pretty good forward for what he's paid.

He also plays a high energy, uptempo game that Tmac likes. He just needs to continue to straighten out his game (more north-south).

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think his accuracy is vastly over rated by some.

He isn't even close to being in the same category as a player like Eberle in that regard.

The issue I have with Yaks play is that when he isnt scoring he isnt doing much of anything else to contribute. The best Yak seems to do when he isn't scoring is not to be a defensive liability.

Yak has to re-invent his all around game because the game he brought with him from Junior doesn't cut it at the NHL level.

i really question if he has the will to do that.

Imo Yak does a lot of good when he isn't scoring. He will stand up for his teammates and he is very good on the forecheck. It still doesn't add up to a positive sum but it's something. Eberle is a guy who does nothing when he's cold, but I agree that he's a much better player. His cold streaks aren't nearly as bad and he can perform with anyone

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

Starting? There has never been a shred of proof that Yak has an A+ shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00